The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Others…

As far as other transfers go I made my case for Riquelme a while back in the other thread but I’d have no problem with him or Carrick. I only have a problem with the price we’re being quoted for Carrick. I read today that it’s gone up to like £18mill and if that’s the case then we need to be sensible and walk away. There are other options, as noted above, as well as actually within the squad for the ball playing midfielder. Rotating Scholes, Giggs and David Jones would be an option for a season if we didn’t attract Riquelme, Carrick or someone like Juninho from Lyon. Of a greater priority is the workhorse midfielder. Fletch will mature into a good all-rounder I’m sure of it, but O’Shea should be moved on once a viable signing is made for his own good and Smudger should be returned to the forward line set-up when he returns from injury.

For this role, like pretty much everyone else I’d quite happily sign one player this summer (assuming RvN and Ronaldo don’t go) and have that player be Javier Mascherano. I think that other names touted such as Diarra (lined up for elsewhere I think), Cambiasso (too valuable to Inter), Hargreaves (see Cambiasso but for Bayern) and Gattuso (won’t leave Milan unless they are relegated, which won’t happen, points deducted and out of the CL sure but the majority of the squad will stay together), aren’t really viable targets but JM’s age and style of play would suit both us and the Premiership perfectly. Another good all-rounder I’ve been impressed with is Tim Borowski of Werder Bremen. Very, very outside option being Tymochuck of the Ukraine.

If Ronaldo goes I’m thinking Joaquin could rekindle some of the magic he showed about 12-18 months ago, Zambrotta would be ideal but is a pipe dream really since I think he’d move to Spain (or Chelsea to play LB), or JSP on the right more regularly and Damien Duff if we could manage to get him, as he is increasingly touted, to leave Chelsea or as mentioned above Nedved. I think Lennon is going to be too pricey for where he’s at and I think that Lyon appear too far ahead as Ribery’s club of choice though I would happily take him now that I’m no longer concerned about his ability to handle the big stage.

The open spot in Milan’s front line seems like a tempting one for Ruud if he left despite Bayern’s overtures, and since I think that the Premiership would suit Torres better, if the great Dutchman left and we weren’t able to pick up a bargain price Trezeguet or maybe the other Ronaldo, Torres is probably the best young top striker talent we could get to complement Rooney (which is why I don’t consider Tevez to be viable when we’ve got Rossi as well).

And thats it for now...

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

hamann signing for city next week, they will then OFFICIALLY have a better midfield than us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

It'll be fine, look what was posted on YOU GUESSED IT!

Don't forget, the Glazers promised a kitty of £25 million net per season for transfers when they arrived. In the first season they spent £20.5M on Park, Van der Sar, Vidic and Evra, but received £6M for P Neville & Kleberson, so there's still £10.5 million left over from last season's budget (supposedly). Add the £12M we got for Obi Wan Kenobi Mikel. And the £25 million budget for this season. And the anticipated £25 million we'll get for Ronaldo.

Basically the Glazers should be spending £73 million this summer on bringing players in just to match the spending levels they promised when they arrived, not to actually give us anything beyond that. Don't hold your ****ing breath, though.

not sure if this has been posted but martin o'neill reckons fergie will sort ronaldo out.

"Sir Alex Ferguson is the best man to sort out any row between Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo - according to former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

Speculation is mounting that the Portuguese international could be ready to leave Old Trafford amid the furore over his role in Rooney's World Cup dismissal. But, when asked about the issue on BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme, O'Neill said: "Do I think the two of them can work together? Absolutely.

"But listen, why are you asking me this question? One of the greatest managers of all time should sort that problem out, and I don't think he's had too much difficulty in the past."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

A big no to Beckham coming back. We're looking to play well without the likes of Scholes, Giggs, etc. Bringing Beckham back would go against all that. We need to move on and not fall into the Liverpool trap of keeping our aging players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking to play well without Scholes & Giggs? Hate to break the news to you mate but those two are still our main midfielders for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know but surely we don't want to keep looking to them to bail us out? Adding Beckham to that would be bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay so what would our midfield be without Scholes & Giggs?

Park - O'Shea - Fletcher - Richardson?

Or maybe Evra on the left wing instead of Richardson?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Did you get your PC sorted in the end by the way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. They pretty much replaced everything...almost all upgrades too. No cost to me. No problems (touch wood) in the last month.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

what on gods green earth gave you that impression? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the smell tbh

icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I cant see that really

Not as if we have such an amazing atmosphere 80% of the time anyway.

Plus you get atmosphere from sh*t decisions being replayed on screen icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just thought it might be pulling peoples eyes away from whats going on on the pitch.

tbh I'm pretty ambivilant about big screens at football matches.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yas! wanted to watch Extras but my mate stole it so going to watch t'Office \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

office>>>>Extras anyway tbh. although Extras is still icon_cool.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

why is Keyser so rubbish

How about the 4-2 when Ronaldo scored twice at Highbury, did alright against Arsenal then?

I'm sorry he can't be a match winner every game. But hey as long as Richardson continues this BLISTERING form we'll be fine even with that useless Portugese ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stop living in the past you utter gervais loving knobjockey. Even O'Shea scored in that game and he definately isn't any good. And why the comment about Richardson? He can die along with the rest of them.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamieDay:

Yeah that's why I'm watching this on the web, Arsenal game doesn't interest me much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seen the score? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cahill :*)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

£23 for Arsenal (A), if I get them, im very happy, I had to pay £35 for fecking Wigan. Not sure, if we're definitely going, even if we get tickets, expensive as fooook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I'll take a spare if you get one icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can have my Under 16 ticket for £50, I make a nice profit and you get into the game and only pay £4 over the odds - everyone's happy. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mudweiser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

was qh at smudger signing.

trying to make up a rio song that rhymes with 'oh margie, you came and you gave me a turkey, on our vacation away from worky'

so far i've got 'oh rio, you came and you look like a turkey'.

suggestions please </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"And your defending's a bit quirky"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's rock solid tbh icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Smithy's autograph icon_cool.gif

reserves won 3-0 tonight against newcastle btw, first half goals from Barnes and Mullan and a brilliant third from Chris Eagles right at the end. very very comfortable, Eagles was brilliant again, between him and the excellent Kieran Lee for man of the match. Smithy was pretty good, typically fiery, Dong had a bit of a mare though. i'm still thawing out, i swear Hyde has it's own microclimate that's 5 degrees colder than the rest of manchester. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

thought our central midfield trio again were great.

Carrick and Fletch are really showing the quality that they have now.. you dont put in top performances against Roma and Milan in CL Quarters/Semis without being something pretty good.

Ronaldo drifted in and out of his usual brilliance.

Rooney did well given how much of a lone front man he was at times, and Giggs poor movement for most of the game didnt help. Plus his goals wfffffb.

Ultimately, just as I thought it would be, a case of scoring more than we concede ..... so we did icon_cool.gif

one thing that Juni reminded me of last night that i was very conscious of at the start of the season and had kinda forgotten - our progress to the semis has secured our place in the top group of seeds for the CL next season (obviously after some pretty atrocious seasons and with the 01-02 run to the semis dropping off the chart this year we were at risk of dropping into the second pot if we've not put together a decent run).

so, erm, yay.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Want to know why mark is getting away with the Giggs bashing if I am honest. I get told off for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's expected from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, it's like Park hate from James. Largely unwarrented, sporadic and random, and essentially rooted in some deep-seated xenophobic racism.

Redcafe saying Gill was on SSN.

The jist was that we are in the market for a striker but we arent desperate.

And that we will be selling players because the squad will be too large, especially with some of the loan players coming back.

Which is fair enough on the face of things. Evans, Pique and Rossi can easily come back to do a good job for us.

If we are looking at selling any of Brown, Heinze, Silvestre, Richardson or Saha then fine.

We shouldnt be letting Saha go though if we have no plans to bring in a striker. For me Saha only goes to fund the new signing.

Archived