The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“I’m sure United will come good. They are building a team for the future whereas Chelsea are building a team for today and maybe the next one or two years,†he admitted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Petr Cech 20-05-82

Mickaël Essien 03-12-82

Joe Cole 08-11-81

Arjen Robben 23-01-84

Lassana Diarra 10-03-85

John Terry 07-12-80

John Obi Mikel 22-04-87

Salomon Kalou 05-08-85

and I'm not including some of the highly rated youth teamers we have. I appreciate Eric has to say these things, but he's wrong on that bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It was made up by a fella on RI

I wanted Rich to top himself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mika icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richie J:

am i the only person who thinks that Carrick would be a fantastic signing?

fair enough £14m is an inflated price but when you factor in his nationality and Spurs' own ambitions, we're paying a little more to convince them to sell rather than him actually being worth that much. i think he's quality, although owen hargreaves would be an equally good purchase. get them both.

£34m for carrick and torres means ruud can leave, get him off to bayern in exchange for hargreaves and £5m, welcome back season.

please? icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would love that, but Ruud is Madrid-bound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think a player plus cash deal is definitely the way forward. swap him for guti or someone plus £7m. or sign ronaldo and make him diet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

So i'm being banned for giving my opinion on FC United? not all united fans agree with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look, much as I'd love you to **** off, it's your call. The vast majority in here have no problem with FCUM - we've a few who actively follow them, plenty who support what's going on there without being matchgoers etc and a few who generally don't care. You're pretty much on your own in being anti-FC and your requests for FC discussion to be taken elsewhere will be emphatically ignored, so you've a choice to make - accept it, or **** off somewhere else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Although anabolic steroids could be an explanation for the string of high liver enzyme tests coming in for the WWE SmackDown! lockerroom, there is reportedly a greater fear that the wrestlers' tests results are due to Hepatitis C.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

I'll ring my doctors neck,i'm already moving back to my old one

but last year he detected i had a high liver enzyme when i went to him feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.

he signed me off for a total of 4 weeks and not ONCE was that even mentioned or suggested- in the end he said he had no clue what it was & i "must just have a high enzyme" icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

so senna is 30? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as we're in the realm of affordable short/medium term 'destructive' midfield targets I'm not unhappy at the proposition of the club spending up to £6million for Senna even though he's 30 since he's better than the prospect of us falling back on someone like Aldo Duscher.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Who knew a reserve we let go nine years ago would so capture the imagination of the thread. icon14.gif

I wonder where John Curtis is now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nottingham Forest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

What would be everyone's team out of that squad?

I'd try:

Foster

Simpson

O'Shea

Heinze

Silvestre

Ronaldo

Fletcher

Jones

Martin

Rossi

Saha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would maybe swap Gaby and So Fine around but that's not really important. Otherwise that'd be the team for me, yeah

Tenner says SAF starts Miller though, and I'll rage. No excuse whatsoever not to give Jonah a start tonight ahead of that clown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'm on dialup because Telstra are utter funts \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

criminal. especially as you're in adelaide.

seriously, check out vintek. if you live in a non-telstra d-slam suburb you'll get 24mb dsl for around $60 a month. even if you live in a telstra suburb you can still get 1.5mb dsl for around the same price.

given your average dial-up account costs $30 a month, plus 25c every time you connect, there really is no reason for anyone to be stuck on dial-up anymore.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

O'Shea came on to deal with the aerial threat as Liverpool were obviously going to pump long balls up to Kuyt and Crouch. He did his job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was simply that Gary Neville hasn't played in a while, and was getting tired. If it was to specifically deal with an aerial threat, we'd have brought Brown on at right back.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo on Southgate and co.

Friday, December 8, 2006

"I'm already used to it. The more they criticise me the better I play. Those critics do not affect me any longer" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Would any of our defenders in the last 20 years have a case for being world class? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no.

None of them has come close to Maldini in his pomp who's probably got the most legitimate claim on that sort of title in the time span you suggest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely there's more than one world class defender every 20 years ffs.

If you were to pick a world team then you'd need at least 4 at any one time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned Maldini because I consider him to be the absolute pinnacle of defensive talent in the last 20 years. Maybe I should revise my assessment of him to be a "True Great" or some other title that sits above "World Class" because I suppose there are more players than I credit with "WC" ability levels. Anyway, before I digress further into troublesome semantics here's some more on what I think:

In response to EC7, others may come close to Maldini (ala Scholes in comparison to Zidane), of course they'd have to on the basis that a "World Class" team needs XI supreme individuals, but I work on a very narrow basis when using that term - as I've noted above.

In relation to what Nick said, out of the players we've had in our defence Gary has the biggest shout of being worthy of such lofty praise in my opinion - 1. because he's very, very good & 2. its remarkably difficult to find legitimately top class full-backs IMO. Perhaps Jaap does have a claim but I'm still not 100% sure he'd deserve to be up that high - undoubted international class but I'm not sure he merits higher, but then I'm not sure if I'm being too harsh. We can technically count Blanc as having been near or of a looser WC level, just not during his time with us.

Rio and Vidic still could be - a central defender doesn't really peak until early 30s so we may be able to legitimately add those two to such ranks in the future but not right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes.

He has been nothing short of phenominal in the reserves and has looked good in our first team. Because Newcastle we reluctant to put their faith in something who was only on loan doesnt hinder his chances with us.

Then we move onto Foster, hes going why? Hes brought in because hes young and has a fantastic future ahead of him. We have loaned him to give him the experience he needs of being a number 1 at the top level so he can continue his education and hopefully come back ready to take over from Edwin when he goes.

Pique i think could have a really good future here too but with Johnny Evans coming through and the loan move with a sell on option i'm not too sure the club see it that way.

And while i havent had the chance to watch Pique this season i think its 4 starts, 2 sub appearences and 2 goals for Zaragoza.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

He is ginger tbf, not many people would want to talk to him normally regardless of skill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fo icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Born on Friday the 13th to icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not allowing myself to get on a high this season, as bluntly there is the underlying feeling that we're not good enough to last the season and get 90+ points as Chelsea have done. The most pleasurable matches this year have been the ones like Boro away, Blackburn away, ones where we traditionally slip up. Overall things have been much better. But there's no hiding from the fact that our run in is nasty, starting from today, and we're going to drop more points in the second half of the season than we have in the first. Also despite the improvements, this 4-5-1 approach in big away games continues to handicap us.

What's keeping it interesting is the unexpected chaos at Chelsea, how long it will last remains to be seen though.

Heinze i think will go. Smith is less certain, as i think we don't really now what's going on with his injury. If he's back to his best after a full pre-season, i think he'll want to give it a shot at making the grade here, and Fergie'll be happy with that. If he's not going to recover fully, he'll almost certainly go.

• 1 month later...

not read anything, cant be arsed, but from yesterday:

We deserved to go through, some frustration crept in as we struggled to break them down.. but you have to recognise that they were very solid defensively.

Plus side we were just as solid defensively on the whole.

Rooney/Silvestre were poor

O'Shea was surprisingly decent for midfield

Ronaldo wasnt at his best and yet still made the difference

Larsson ifffffb

RICHARDSON GET THE F**K AWAY FROM THE TEAM YOU TALENTLESS SH*T

conclusion: yay. bring on easiest possible draw in quarters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> EXCLUSIVE: Glazers will listen to offers for United

By Martin Lipton Chief Football Writer 25/05/2007

THE Glazer family are ready to consider bids for Manchester United - potentially throwing the club into off-field turmoil once more.

Less than three years after Malcolm Glazer finally won his controversial takeover battle in a deal that cost £831million, United's future is up in the air again.

Boardroom figures are privately conceding a sale in the short-term is likely after the Glazers realised United was not the cash cow they believed it would be.

Advertisement

If they sell, there is bound to be a period of uncertainty just as manager Sir Alex Ferguson would be aiming to build on the Premiership triumph.

Financial sources in the City last night confirmed feelers have started going out from Old Trafford because the takeover was proving so costly.

Malcolm Glazer paid £790m, plus legal fees of £41.3m, to win his drawn-out fight for control of the world's biggest club.

But to do so he borrowed a staggering £559m from City institutions. Last year, a refinancing package, organised by merchant bank JP Morgan, only came after the amount owed to hedge funds had grown by another £71m, leaving a total debt of £660m.

JP Morgan's fees for that transaction came to £90m - the cost of three Wayne Rooneys - and the club now faces annual repayments of £62m. That burden is wiping out the bulk of United's profits.

Despite the capacity of Old Trafford increasing to 76,000, escalating player wages and the need to continually invest in the squad - the Glazers promised Ferguson £25m each year plus an extra £25m one-off for a star signing - account for a huge chunk of income.

Fans were outraged by ticket prices for next season going up 14 per cent and the cost of home cup ties rising.

The relationship between the club's management and the Florida-based owners is becoming more and more of an issue and with Glazer seriously ill after a stroke last year and having to put control of the business in the hands of his sons, it seems he is increasingly looking for a way out.

United chief executive David Gill was said to have been in a "really bad mood" before United's FA Cup Final defeat, preoccupied by affairs at the club.

One well-placed City source said: "What we're all hearing is United hasn't turned out to be what the Glazers thought it was. When they paid so much, they were convinced a lot of money was to be made.

"Buying United wasn't about owning a football club, but a business decision and from an investment point of view it's been little short of disastrous."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived