The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

Manchester United has noted the increasing media speculation over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Club can confirm there is no possibility of Cristiano being sold. Cristiano recently signed a new contract until 2010 and the Club fully expects him to honour that contract.

The Club will not listen to any offers for Cristiano.

Cristiano is one of the brightest young stars in world football as demonstrated by his performances at the World Cup and Manchester United is not in the business of selling their best young players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yas! We'll keep him clearly unhappy till his contract runs down and then sell him for free!

OR, are we declaring he's NFS and then HUGE offer comes in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

I dont get why Torres would wanna join us, surely there are better clubs out there who want him ugone2far10.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I think we're getting a bit too doom-laden - we're hardly Citeh. We can still pay decent wages, we have history, tradition and all that guff which will mean something to some players, and there's a challenge involved with joining us.

Add to that he won't go to Real, Barca are sorted upfront, none of the big Italian teams are in a position to get him, Chelsea don't need him (not that it's ever stopped them..) and I doubt Arsenal and Liverpool have the money available even if they are interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Jimlad now writing essays on non-United stuff /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\. I just want a signing icon_frown.gif. If we sign Fortune back would that count? I'd take him tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

You were just his bitch in his eyes. A butler if you will.

Ofc what you say is why I think almost all Liverpool fans were against the signing. However we bow down to rafa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, well if you read the papers and their 'gay as you go' stories about pennant and cole a few months ago then maybe he was trying to make me his bitch.

That line-up with Simon Davies in came from Fergie's "A Year in the Life" so I admit that I went out on a limb, but if he was young, uncapped and born in Cheshire then he probably counted as English.

Has anyone else seen that the fee for Senna will apparently be about £3.4mill? Good news if true.

Although I should add that the source was Ceefax/Teletext so cue the reality being something like £6.8mill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Those of you that were baying for Ronaldo’s blood a month back should continue to do so, or you’ll come across as hypocritical w*nkers. I’ve got a list

Silvestre is fffffffffb. Remember that.

A season at West Brom would be much better for Jones than the very odd appearance for us.

Nick lost his ? because of a drop in his standard of posting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was removed when I was out of the country, hardly fair icon13.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nick, wheres that story o=from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Hargreaves' agent statement? Was just on SSN

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Bayern such stubborn *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can hargreaves take legal action against bayern for not giving him the right of freedom icon_biggrin.gif surely keeping somebody somewhere against their will is slavery

im sure thats what ibra threatened against juve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

just watchin Madrid/Villareal... Senna seems to be doing pretty well :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont the commentators love to say it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Would it be fair to say that a year ago you would have agreed with my general optimism about the squad and the direction a lot more, but the January signings combined with this summers activity or lack of it have really made you disillusioned and have been the final straw?

That's the impression I get as it used to be us two defending Fergie not so long ago icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit. I still don't think I'd have thought there was any direction or logic, but I was certainly a bit more optimistic.

The January signings - yeah, they look even worse now thinking about it, if financial constraints are a reason for our inactivity. I was relatively happy with the players brought in but on the proviso that they wouldn't hamper our attempts to strengthen the midfield in the summer, and that Silvestre was clearly off. The first appears to have happened, the second hasn't. HUGE sign that there simply is no logic or direction to Fergie's squad building.

I hate being all doomlordy and cynical but the way things are going even the most optimistic are eventually going to succumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I can (kind of) accept O Shea being poor, because he is a poor player by nature, but Scholes is a living legend who had the ability to be the best player on the pitch.

I accept that he had poor support around him, but he didnt do anything to help himself either. It was as if he thought 'well these lot around me are crap so i wont bother'.

If you think back, how often was he actually on the ball? and how how many great passes did he play? I think youll find the answers are 'not much' and 'none'.

Fabregas and too a lesser extent Rosicky were excellent, really ran the midfield. Their defence was good too, the fullbacks pushed right up keeping everyone bar Rooney and Saha in our own half.

Oh and on Rooney, he didnt look bothered either, don't remember him coming back looking for the ball, which is what he usually does when he's in the mood (or getting starved up front).

• 5 weeks later...

like ive said many times before, its nothing to do with any off the field apparent personality traits

its the plain and simple fact he is UTTER UTTER FOOTBALLING TRIPE .. and scoring a jammy goal like today is easily enough to make Fergie think picking him in the team more often is a good idea.

icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not just SAF though, is it ? McLaren's at it now, too. icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Its great to see Ruud doing well. The lad was a legend for us and deserves to go on to much success.

The only downside to him leaving was the fee. We play better without him despite him being a great player and as he wouldnt have stayed to be a bit part player its nice to see him move to a club like Real madrid and do well for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">New Ronaldo earns old-style respect with pride after a fall

Daniel Taylor at Ewood Park

Shirt number all but obliterated with mud, Cristiano Ronaldo's early departure from the latest instalment of Manchester United's thrilling renaissance was accompanied by the fans behind Brad Friedel's goal hissing expletives and flashing V-signs, all presumably in the cause of In-ger-land. There was nothing new there except that on this occasion it was balanced by a scene of near-mutinous proportions. High in the adjacent Jack Walker stand there were Blackburn Rovers supporters applauding, rising to their feet in a show of old-fashioned politeness for a footballer who is wholly unaccustomed to being afforded such manners.

World poverty might be wiped out before some football fans will bring themselves to acknowledge Ronaldo's more endearing traits but the applause was sustained and perhaps also unprecedented. Supporters the length and breadth of the country have tried to break his soul but, having failed so miserably, this was the first public recognition (outside Manchester) for the strength of character Ronaldo has shown since his World Cup ended with the Sun newspaper superimposing his face on a dartboard and a publicly stated desire to leave behind this country of rain and recrimination.

The persuasive powers demonstrated by Sir Alex Ferguson in discouraging Ronaldo from such thoughts may yet be as important to the club as the occasion, 11 years earlier, when the manager journeyed to Paris to talk Eric Cantona out of leaving. Lucas Neill is an accomplished Premiership defender, the subject of an approach from Liverpool in the last transfer window, yet time and again Ronaldo danced by him like a skier slaloming past a pole.

No doubt there will be some who prefer to demonise the 21-year-old but it is an inescapable fact that Ronaldo has not only flourished in the face of adversity but cut out - or at least toned down - the aspects of his game which left the impression of a man with the soul of a pickpocket. It is too early to commit to the belief that his worst traits have been permanently removed but there were at least three occasions here when he tried to ride tackles that would have once prompted an exaggerated fall and some furious arm-flapping. When the Blackburn defenders started to get fed up and tried to kick him out of the game Ronaldo simply picked himself up, dusted himself down and got on with the game - no histrionics, no fuss.

In the type of weather Thor himself might have invoked, Ronaldo was aided and abetted on Saturday by the good-as-ever Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and, some inaccurate finishing aside, Wayne Rooney. United are playing with such verve, such panache, it often feels as though their system has changed to 4-2-4.

An honourable mention also went to Louis Saha, who contributed the decisive moment of the 100th encounter between these two clubs. "Ruud van Nistelrooy was a big player for them but him going has released Saha and Rooney," said Hughes. "Maybe that partnership has the potential to develop more than Rooney and Van Nistelrooy. Saha has got more pace and is more of a threat attacking-wise. This side, without Van Nistelrooy, is more dynamic."

Saha, loitering with intent, hooked in his eighth goal of the season just past the hour after Giggs had stolen in at the far post to turn the substitute John O'Shea's cross into the six-yard area. Hughes will wince when he sees the replays of how David Bentley lost Giggs in the penalty area. He will reflect with anguish, too, on the headed opportunity that Andre Ooijer flashed wide shortly beforehand. Yet United conjured up some exquisite exchanges of one-touch passing and movement, despite large areas of the pitch having been rendered close to unplayable, and would have won by a more handsome margin had it not been for Rooney's deficiency in front of goal.

Commemorative mugs are on sale at Southend United to mark their 1-0 victory over Ronaldo, Rooney et al six days ago but Ferguson's men are back in a position where they no longer need to pretend the Carling Cup matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blimey, praise from the english media for our Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Let's stop caring about other teams, eh? For points clear at the top, 1 goal up in this match currently. Enjoy it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard when we know that the wheels are just waiting to come off. But yeah we are playing well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touche.

Park is decent outside the box. He's fast and is a good passer. Once he gets inside the box though he's useless.

I thought Carrick was class when he came on. Fletcher has bags of energy but when you need to keep the ball and probe, he isn't really your man. Ronaldo had a quet game even though he still could have had a couple of goals and assists today. I won't overreact with regards to Rooney and say sell him or anything stupid but I would say he definitely needs a rest. Is Rossi available against Villa in the cup?

MotM: Scholes

Runner-up: Carrick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fergie believes in squad

Sir Alex Ferguson has the belief his Manchester United squad can last the distance in the race for the Premiership.

United have established a six-point lead over reigning champions Chelsea after Ferguson rotated his squad over the holiday period.

Ferguson was delighted with how his fringe players responded to the challenge and feels it bodes well for the rest of the season.

"There's been a couple of tests for us and it's been unlike last season," Ferguson is quoted in the Daily Star Sunday.

"When we played Wigan and Everton we made five or six changes and we won those games comfortably.

"That's a good test. But the other thing which is vital is that these players are getting older, so they must be improving.

"They're good professionals and are training well. When they get the chance we hope they take it, which they did against Wigan and Everton.

"If you look at our back four we have got Wes Brown, Mikael Silvestre, Gaby Heinze and Patrice Evra. Very experienced, capable defenders competing at left-back.

"I can play Wes at right-back or in the centre and I can play Mikael there, so the back four's okay.

"In midfield we have got reasonable cover with Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea.

"Then up front there's Henrik Larsson, Ole Solskjaer and Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Louis Saha and Ryan Giggs.

"I believe in this squad. I'm happy with what I've got." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love that icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

icon_biggrin.gif

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD has scored for Real \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look, can you please knock it off?

He was a great player for us. But really, i couldn't give a frack what he is doing now or when he has scored.

Discussions about ex-players is fine and of course should always be part of any football club thread, however, things like this are just utterly utterly pointless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sssshhhh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gonch makes a good point about people leaving early. Yeah, I know the car parks are sh*t but if there was ever a team that deserved to be clapped off the pitch that was it.

It's something that's got worse and worse as the ground has got bigger. For once we should be looking at our friends down the East Lancs for the way it should be done...apart from singing that obviously!

• 3 weeks later...

I did a quick google news search after your poach after you posted.

I only found

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=37401

It says you beat Arsenal etc to the signing, but Arsenal were interested 1-2 years ago, and he (apparently along with Bojan) rejected them, so I'm not sure what has changed now, unless it is just the ££ as the article suggests.

DON'T RUIN HIM LIKE ROSSI IF YOU GET HIM icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

They generally find their way into our press a week or two later anyway when columnists have to fill a couple of inches/they finally translate an article with their foreigner-mother tongue dictionary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a fine point sir. just the rubbish this country's journalists churn out then.

I get relatively wet just watching the celebrations and the atmosphere in the Blaize.

literally GUTTED I don't live in Manchester right now icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

twas amazing dude

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

James07?>>>>Keyser.

I started a ruud song in the tollgate sunday when he scored icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gonorrhea > Pickles > BBB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

DIE RICHARDSON DIE RICHARDSON DIE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bored, sunshine ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Louis Saha 'fully expects' to be fit for the start of next season, contrary to earlier claims he would be out until November.

The Manchester United striker has undergone a knee operation in the United States and Ranko Stojic had revealed Saha would be sidelined until the autumn.

However, Stojic is no longer the France international's agent and his current representatives - Stellar Group - have issued a statement on the forward's fitness.

"Louis Saha is exclusively contracted to the Stellar Group who advise the player in all football and career-related matters," read a statement from Stellar Group.

"Louis Saha has absolutely no ties with Ranko Stojic, who has no authority whatsoever to speak on behalf of the player or his management group.

"Louis has successfully undergone knee surgery in America and is now undergoing rehabilitation in the South of France.

"He hopes and fully expects to be fit for the start of the new season and any claims to the contrary are completely false."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(sorry if posted i couldn't see it).

so looks like he will be fit for the start of the new season and not be out for 6+ months.

Archived