The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Juni even gets his SI data from google icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am Google.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Squad player.

I just don't see him improving much. I can appreciate that he was good when younger and had a good amount of potential but he doesn't look like fulfilling that potential. And now he is been overtaken by our other reserves. Jones has shown more purpose in a handful of games than Fletch has in over 100. Rossi and Pique are miles above him too and the even younger players like Gibson and Evans are catching him up.

His position is also up in air. He doesn't break forward like Jones and he can't be used as a defensive midfielder because his tackling is poor. This leaves the deep-lying playmaking role. And this role needs the player to be a very good passer. Fletch isn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

And while I remember, Gregg suggesting that Mika was intellectually lacking was pretty damn funny to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesnt read, he doesnt listen to music, he doesnt watch movies.

He's really rather sad tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More to life than pop culture to be honest mate.

I don't know him at all on a personal level, but from what I can gather he's got a strong interest in at least two sports and he's got a heavy reading workload for uni, and I can tell you from experience that when you're done reading a ******** for lectures, seminars, essays or exams you don't feel like picking up something off the best-sellers list. As for music and movies, some people just don't have the time.

We'll probably have a whole range of the two-tone things - there were about 7/8 different combinations at the WC and I'm sure some keeprs more more than two different variants over the course of the tournament icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Ruud's scored in the Delle Alpi, the Bernabeu, the Olympiastadion in Munich, Stade Gerland, COMS, Highbury, Stamford Bridge, as well as a stupid number of goals against all the big teams at OT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how many of those games / ties did we actually win? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beat Juve 3-0, lost to Real, drew with Bayern, Lyon, lost to City, drew with Arsenal, beat Chelsea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

again, that's not true.

you're clinging to some sort of belief that Ferguson completely made up Ruud requesting a transfer in 2005, an assertion which van Nistelrooy did not deny.

regardless of Ferguson's proclivity for dishonesty, van Nistelrooy HAS spoken out before regarding hot-button issues such as these.

thus, I feel that Ruud did indeed hand in a transfer request in 2005 and that he has been wantaway ever since. Ferguson obviously has not taken kindly to this and waged some sort of war with the man this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i think it's likely he handed in a request at some point last spring/summer, it hardly follows that that was the straw the broke the camels back, as he was a certain starter until about february. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yes, but I believe it precipitated the complete breakdown that occurred then.

I imagine that Ferguson took shots at Ruud all the time, no doubt out of spite and anger, and that it finally snapped. coupled with a downturn in form, this behavior gave Fergie a chance to drop him, irrevocably ending a great career at Old Trafford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what's more amusing - your imagination or the fact you seem to have swallowed a thesaurus.

The squad for tonight:

United: Van Der Sar, Simpson, Lee, McShane, Ferdinand, Gibson, Martin, D. Jones, Eagles, Rossi, Rooney.

Subs from: R. Jones, Shawcross, Gray, Rose, J. Evans, Ngalula, Mullan, Barnes, Campbell, Marsh.

A very interesting line-up. Gibson and Jones in the centre, Martin getting another start and Rossi and Rooney partnering eachother up front for the first time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rossi impresses for Italy

Giuseppe Rossi made an impressive Italian U21 debut against Croatia in Grosseto on Tuesday night.

The United striker - on as a second-half substitute - came close to snatching a late winner in Pierluigi Casiraghi's first game in charge, but his header inched just wide as the game ended in a goalless draw.

Italy made a sluggish start to the game as the Croats dominated early on, but the second-half introduction of Rossi gave the hosts renewed vigour.

His link-up play and tidy touches caught the eye, and Casiraghi was buoyed by the United striker's input.

"Rossi is very talented and can do well but aside from him I think the entire side behaved well, although there is still a lot to improve on," he said.

"But I think the overall performance was positive and I’m glad that most of the players had the chance to feature." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We have the players to cover and there is nothing we can do about it now but one thing is for sure, we will not be playing in the Amsterdam tournament again, you can bet your life on that." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'll teach you Dutch lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ferguson just proves what a sad figure he has become really...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin isn't fat tbh.

Oh & Martin get me a ticket for Tottenham kthx.

I jsut remembered that against Fulham when the "**** off Englanbd" chant started this guy in the stretty turned around to his mate about 5 rows behind him & shouted "why the **** are you singing that ****?" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arse kisser. Should have got a ST ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Wait a second, didn't that happen just the other day? Berbatov and some other English no-hoper then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're not as bad as Sheff United yet are we...

Oh, and I STILL can't stop laughing at the "the budget will be carried forward" rot Gill also came out with icon_biggrin.gif

Let's have a look at what we could have to spend next summer kids!

£25m every summer remember.....

2005/06:

Park £3.5m

VDS £2m

Vidic £7.2m

Evra £5.5m

OUT £18.2m

Neville £3.5m

Kleberson £1.6m

IN £5.1m

TOTAL OUTLAY £13.1m

--------------------------------------

So that'll be £11.9m carried over to this summer, giving us £36.9m to spend, lovely...

2006/7

Carrick £14m

OUT £14m

RvN £11m

Obi Mikel £6m

Spector £500k

Blake £250k

IN £17.75m

NET OUTLAY -£3.75m

Meaning we can add £28.75m to £11.9m to give us a kitty for the January transfer window of £40.65m, not bad eh?

And if we don't dip into our pockets in January (and remember, "all the best players will be cuptied, but we'll look to bring in world class players in the summer"), we'll have a mammoth £65.65m to spend next summer!

Can't wait icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

"Guess which one of you two i'm going to make love too?"

Love the look on Lynn's face. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's such a **** to her icon_biggrin.gif

"Why are you wearing that snazzy cardigan? If you think you can upstage Jill you're very much mistaken"

"No Jill will be sleeping with me tonight"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Giggs > Smith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meh, I would begin to argue that point but with Gigg's contribution over the past month I don't feel justified to do so.

Although

Smithy to come off the bench against Arsenal and score the winner icon_cool.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would begin to argue it but you would be wrong frankly icon_biggrin.gif

Just watched a 7 minute clip of the ending of the '99 final, Beckham so involved in both goals, how can you not love him?

I remember being so so delighted when you won that, the circumstances and all, (dramatically, against the germans Teddy :*)) and dare I say I got a tingle down my spine just watching it again.

Definately one of my favourite non-spurs/england moments

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Pooh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Silvestre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O'Shea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Woah, the money is for stripeylad not Keef.

Anyway lads, awesome result today so stay ontopic icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get Bent

That £30 cash is mine feck face

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Excellent result icon14.gif

So how did we line-up when Carrick went off for Silvestre? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sil went to left back, Evra leftwing and Giggs into central midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

If any ones bored you can listen to FC Uniteds game over at www.fcum.tv </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember when all they had was text message updates on the forum icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>thats all we had until last week icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really news, but what the hell.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

David Gill, Manchester United's chief executive, has said the club have virtually no chance of signing Owen Hargreaves before the transfer window shuts on Wednesday. Sir Alex Ferguson made Bayern Munich's England midfielder his primary target in the January market but Bayern remain unwilling to sell, despite United having offered a reported £20m.

Following a board meeting last Thursday, Bayern officials suggested that, though there will be no deal this month, the transfer could go ahead in summer. On Friday Ferguson said he had not given up hope of landing Hargreaves in the next few days, but Gill is more pessimistic.

"I can confirm we are interested in the player and we have been since last summer but at the moment Bayern aren't willing to sell him and we will have to leave it at that," Gill told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme.

Added to their failure to land Hargreaves, United have fallen behind Spurs in the race to sign Southampton's £10m-rated full-back, Gareth Bale. So it appears likely Henrik Larsson will be the only new face to arrive at Old Trafford this month. The 35-year-old Swede has quickly impressed in his loan spell and saw a sweetly struck volley incorrectly ruled out for offside against Portsmouth on Saturday.

As things stand, Larsson is due to return to Helsingborgs in the middle of March and Gill says there has been no discussion with Ferguson over whether to extend his stay. "I know for a fact Alex, Carlos [Queiroz] and all the players are very impressed with Henrik in terms of what he can do, his attitude and how he has fitted in," said Gill. "We want great players at the club but we have not really discussed that. We are focusing on the next few weeks and we will see what happens. I think it is a bit early, you never say never, but we will go through that nearer the time with Henrik and the club."

However, Gill was more definite in confirming that Cristiano Ronaldo's long-term future remains at Old Trafford. Ferguson said last week that he had no interest in letting the Portugal winger leave, amid rumoured interest from Real Madrid, and Gill made it clear no amount of money could persuade United to sell, with the club's owner, Malcolm Glazer, apparently in full agreement.

"As Arsène Wenger has said on many occasions, clubs aren't banks," Gill said. "We are there to put on entertainment and play a top-class team. There is no point having £35m or £45m if you can't replace that talent. At 21, Ronaldo has had a great season and the best is yet to come. If we did get a bid, I would tell the Glazer family. But I know the conversation would be very brief because it would be turned down immediately."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/result/#story1

See what this scouse **** wrote in a national paper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nothing more than he always writes. not worth getting worked up about really

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

They even come down on us at all, G14 forms its own competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is quite funny how with old Lennart in charge G14 served no purpose, but now Platini's in charge with his "stand up for the little man" bit they've got a target again.

• 2 weeks later...

They played us off the park in the first half from what I remember, though we came back in the second, the Sheringham "goal" was a horrible moment, at that moment I really felt that we had let our chance slip so for Giggs to pop up with that leveller at the time was something of a relief as you say.

Obviously after 11mins in the second leg things weren't looking good but we all know what happened.

The second leg of the Inter tie was so nervy at the time too, the whole debacle about whether Ronaldo would play and that dive were my main memories though. Not to mention the Berg clearances in the first leg icon_biggrin.gif

Christ, can't believe I was 12 back then icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

eurgh, people saying the booing is wrong. I'll post what I posted on RN about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I booed him when he was read out before the game, I also booed him when he came on, I refused to cheer when he scored, I don't do two faced.

I can accept he's crap, see DJX2, Bellion etc at least they gave there all, this arse doesn't give a flying fig about us, a friend of mine was seeing one of the reserve players, I got her to ask him about Richardson and he thinks he's a arsehole, I've spent an utter fortune folllowing United this season, that arsehole earns more than I make in a year in a week, by all accounts he's an arrogant little arse around town either.

Oh and don't get me started on that sodding myspace </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived