The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

haha cult icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>icon_biggrin.gif

poor ickle souser, so close just insert an "n" instead of an "l" and you're there :*(

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

:*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but too late to stop us breaking the unbeaten record :****) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:***********) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we beat the record againt blackburn didnt we icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes but that was to equal it. Besides that goal is much better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

6.5m such a bargain for vieira </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The transfer fee isn't such an issue. He'll be on £5m+ a year which is where the major part of the cost comes in.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn fears the club will not cope if they lose Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United.

United are chasing the England international and are thought to have held talks with the player's agent.

Hargreaves is considering his future at Bayern, with the player never hiding his desire to one day play in England.

Reports suggest a deal could be close to being completed with United ready to pay up to £17 million for the defensive midfielder.

Kahn believes Bayern would find it hard to compete at the highest level if they lose Hargreaves after seeing Michael Ballack and Ze Roberto leave Munich already this summer.

"If after the departures of Ballack and Ze Roberto, Owen was to leave as well it would mean the loss of three of Europe's top players at once," said Kahn.

"One wonders how we would compensate for that." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Any use of the word "Liverpoo" summed your post up, it's as bad as "Manure" ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was quite witty. icon_rolleyes.gif

Shot gun Young Jimlad with the response. I'm sure he could rustle up a few 1000 words.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Surprised by the lack of Fletcher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought of him when I popped the question, he has potential to do well though. However he'd better realise that potential within the next three years otherwise SAF's successor shall be kicking him out

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Why no Rooney? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops forgot our best player jpshakehead.sml.gif .

Vs Celtic

VDS

Neville

Evra

Brown

Rio

Ronnie

Giggs

Fletch

Scholes

Saha

Rooney.

Subs

Kuszack

Silvestre

Park

Carrick

Ole

Not a bad bench for a change tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We were toothless last night but we weren't terrible, not great by any means, keeping possession for spells was a big issue, but we came up against a Southend team that played better football at times than one might have expected them to have the capacity for, had maybe two half chances from open-play, and we were taken out by a very good free-kick.

I'm dissapointed we're out (with the team we played we should have done better) but in no way am I devastated by the result. Its the players who've been on the fringes that have shot themselves in the foot most this evening really.

Ronaldo was our biggest threat and Rooney had a decent first half but the bottom line is that we didn't or couldn't get behind a well organised and determined team that bottled up the centre & for some reason we focussed primarily on attacking the same area rather than using Ronaldo especially to take them on down the flanks.

Smith is nowhere near ready to act as our man next to Rooney yet on the basis of his lack of strength and movement last night - though I should note that I don't think he was off when Rooney slipped him through towards the end of the 1st - he scores then and who knows what happens. Also if DJs shot doesn't hit the post then its another story as well.

The defence was relatively solid on when one considers that other than the counter-attack in the second half it was only Campbell-Ryce prior to him being marshalled in the first that gave Southend any threat. TK didn't look like he was inspiring much confidence in the team though and his distribution wasn't great all evening really - but thats not as disatisfying as the wastefulness displayed by the midfield in possession.

I agree that Fletch had his worst game for a long while in a game where he should have bossed it. Richardson was poor again. Jones I felt had a poor-to-average first half and an average-to-good second half, where he was probably one of our better performers, though that was no great stretch. It was still the best senior performance I've seen him make so arguably progress is being made but on what I have seen I'm unsure if he can make himself part of the midfield setup in the medium to longer term if we continue to strengthen that area because he's clearly not a ball-winner. If anything part of the reason that the centre of the park didn't work for us yesterday is that he and Fletch are arguably very similar not only physically but in style, with Fletch edging slightly more towards all-action box-to-box and Jones edging slightly more towards the Paul Scholes model.

In saying all that, because he did make more effective use of the ball in the second half and was probing more than the rest of the mediocre performers he comes behind Ronaldo in last nights barely deserved MOM choices for me:

MOM: Cristiano Ronaldo

2ND: David Jones

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw, who was it that keane was referring to that was shaking with nerves before leverkusen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Beckham maybe he gets the nerves badly (throwing up before big england games ect) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

During as well if you remember the world cup icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

whoring the tickets out like a cheap hooker is a sign, you can't deny that.

Letting half the reserve team go out on loan so we don't have to pay their wages.

desperate emails all the bloody time for tickets/season tickets.

the signs are there.

Without doing a disservice to Scholesy he has never quite reached the level of Zidane, who I would suggest as the only truly "World Class" player of his generation, but the ginger prince is right up there with him. Arguably second only in my book.

Agree with you about Ronaldo as well by the way, I think he's further along and producing a more sustained period of good form that has surpassed himself and any similar stretch that Rooney himself has enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

treble talk icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie has a touch of the Martitis aka giddiness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even fergie doesn't reckon we're getting Hargreaves tbf.

• 1 month later...

expanding on your list, I'd have Evra and Vidic in at 3 & 4 with probably Saha rounding out the top 5...if Giggs had been able to maintain his early form then it would have been him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same, vidic deserves a mention. i would have had saha as 5 but he has been so very poor since basically the manchester derby that even i as a staunch supporter of him and struggling to back him right now. rio would be 5th for me, hes been immense, every bit as influential as vidic

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

lads can you get cramp in your arms from clapping too much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard you saved the day when Mark got lost? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am a hero icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrissybabe:

where are these coming from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A RAWK thread posted on the last page iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know if the Boro replay is going to be on TV yet?

I know its the 19th (week on Monday) but I'm just trying to balance out money, applying for other games, travel issues on what I think is a bank holiday (? have I got confused with another bank hol in March) & the fact that I've got football that Monday night at 6.40pm.

If its on TV I might give applying for the replay a miss. I've been chubbed for Bolton & Blackburn and that's making me want to apply but I've got applications in for Roma, Sheff Utd and Boro in the league so thats a fair wack of money if I was somehow lucky to get all 3 (more likely 1/3 given my average success rate through OU).

Yeah I think I might let this one go.

• 4 weeks later...

Provided it's not a United game, I'd assume you were right. You'd be sandwiched between United and away fans normally.

The photo was taken at a United v Arse game, by an Arse fan it seems.

For some reason it's the default OT pic in my FM game. icon_frown.gif

Must replace it really. With one of my own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

shut the hell up keith ffs.

smug arse winning on the national </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so bitter lol

spent most of my winnings on yesterday tbf

there was £150 profit

ticket £45

car park £10

petrol £60

food £10

leaves me a tiny bit

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Barcelona and Porto just escaped relegation in their CL winning seasons iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did i say winners?

no </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

winners are still finalists though icon_confused.gif

Tl; dr; etc.

MOTM: Fletcher. Thought he was 100% committed, if not 100% successful

2nd: Scholes

AFFG1: Fletcher, unfortunately. Gets sucked in by Seedorf's run when he should've watched Kaka

AFFG2: Gabi. Slips Vida a hospital pass and then fails to close down Pirlo

AFFG3: Wesley. He's a million bloody miles out of position, and if he's expecting Gabi to retain enough positional sense to cover across when Vida goes with Kaka then he's got another thing coming.

VDS: Did alright, but looks so bloody old. Can practically hear his knees creaking as he 'dives' (read: falls) for the second. Big Ben next season please.

O'Shea: Thought he did as well as anyone could expect. Got sucked out of position too much and failed to connect with most of his hopeful long balls, but nothing too calamitous. Same old really.

Wesley: As with O'Shea, just a typical shift. Adequate and sub-par in equal measure. Should never be allowed to pass ever again.

Vida: Thought he looked alright. Don't think his fitness was such a big question, as Kaka's pace would cause him the problems it did tonight regardless.

Gabi: Positional SatNav on the blink again, suicidal for the 2nd

Fletch: Committed, hardworking, if unspectacular.

Carrick: Tidy but uninterested.

Scholes: Asleep for the first 45-60 minutes, before deciding to turn up. Nothing really came off either way.

Giggs: Dire. Don't think we should get rid, but he should be used as an impact player and should prolly never start a game again. In short measures could be lethal though.

Gladys: Rolled back the years to come up with zero end product. Not for the lack of trying mind, but a really off night.

Rooney: Isolated and frustrated. Absent for most.

Fergie: Should've put Smudger on, earlier than Saha went on, and not for our primary goal threat (Sheasy). Would've preferred Rio rather than Vida too if it was simply a case of one or t'other. Wesley's twice the player with him alongside him, and his pace would've been more of an asset than Vida's SMASHability IMO.

Ref: Can gtf. Atrocious. Gave us nowt throughout, and blew up early into to the shockingly brief stoppage time (how Gattuso and Kaka both being treated for 2 mins, plus time wasting over virtually every set peice, plus mandatory 30 secs for each of the four subs and the goal = 3 mins (2:30 played) is beyond me), but can't lay any fault at his door for us simply not turning up.

Still, at least I won't have a heart attack on the 23rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived