The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Also, United aren't going to be one of FCUM's 'rivals' again, are they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, these are teams with United listed as a rival:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">21 Liverpool

20 Man City

20 FCUM

20 Leeds

19 Arsenal

17 Stoke

17 Bolton

16 West Ham

15 Oldham

15 Newcastle

15 Chelsea

13 Crystal Palace

10 Sheff wed

7 Chester

5 Derby

5 Stockport

3 Macclesfield </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even more amusing than our list icon_biggrin.gif

Stoke? What in the blue hell? icon_biggrin.gif

Nice to see Senegal clearly obsessed with us btw icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Below Chelsea and Spurs tbf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Yeah why would the Irish care about England being knocked out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Revenge for the potato famine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's Craig Doyle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

what are they saying? they're gonna fill the ground with ST holders? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like close to what they have done tbh.

Better having £500/600 in the bank now than £25/30 every two weeks or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Hanse Cronje still about? I'm sure we could get him at short notice, and he could probably ensure another second placing this season icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's dead you insensitive bastard icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

anyway, positive stuff - lots to take from the game tonight. know it wasn't celtic's first team but they were a hell of a lot stronger than we were, and it couldn't have been much more easy.

- Evans just looks fantastic, really not keen on him going to Antwerp now tbh, he's too good for them already.

- Lee Martin was ace, bit baffling he was left out of the SA squad, clearly a better prospect than Eagles or Miller.

- Scholesy, just like a new signing etc

- Foster needs to go on loan this season. would be unforgivable to halt his development with a season on the bench, the boy's going to be class.

- Gibson was excellent when he came on. tenner says he's in the Ireland squad by the end of the season. physically and mentally he's much older than his years.

only downside is ****ing Liam Miller getting on about half an hour before Jonah - why are we even bothering playing the clown? ******** to this shop window talk - his value is more likely to decrease with every appearance than anything. just don't understand fergie keeping jones on the bench for 80 minutes when he's apparently keeping him as part of the first team squad this season :/

anyway, i've decided fergie is clearly going for a repeat of 95/96 - star name(s) shipped out, youngsters blooded, glory beckons etc. maybe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Between £15-£19m according to SSN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thought of it being £19m actually gave me a semi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tuck it back in son. we all know fergie doesn't have a history of overspending for mediocre midfielders

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY HUGHES!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of all his bizarre team selections over the years, possibly the most inexplicable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dropping Schmeichel at the Nou Camp that same season must be up there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The foreigner rule meant there was no way we could play anything like the first XI though. You'd have had to sacrifice a top outfield player to fit him in, and Walsh was the best of the ones who would have to come in as far as i was concerned.

I was more bothered by trying to get Paul Parker to man mark Romario to be honest, which we'd never tried before and completely unsettled the back 4.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

That's fair enough icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You see, more evidence of the slide. If you were still worthy of the '?', you'd have seen the possibility of the 'over the hill' retort a mile off there. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was expecting some kind of drug test reference, took my eye off the ball icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I cant see that really

Not as if we have such an amazing atmosphere 80% of the time anyway.

Plus you get atmosphere from sh*t decisions being replayed on screen icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They never show contentious decisions on those screens though.

Wouldn't mind them if there was a way to incorporate them without cutting capacity, be useful to see replays of goals and stuff, catch team news if you get in late, but I don't really see how it can be done in OT. Not that fussed anyway tbf.

• 2 weeks later...

From tomorrows Guardian

"Hargreaves to plead for early release as Bayern threaten to call Fifa "

"Owen Hargreaves will today attempt to put his case for a move to Manchester United after Bayern Munich threatened to appeal to Fifa to force the Old Trafford club to end their pursuit of the England midfielder. Hargreaves and his advisors have arranged a press briefing in Munich this afternoon at which he is expected to both demand a move and criticise his current employers' persistent refusal to sanction one."

"But Hargreaves, who still has four years left to run on his contract at the Allianz Arena, is now more determined than ever to move to Manchester."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arenaross:

Oh. icon_frown.gif

I was under the impression your lot rated him quite highly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he was very good when he stood in for Nev last season, stepped up into the first team and looked like he'd been there for years. he's a good tackler, really likes to get stuck in, he's decent positionally for a young defender, not too bad on the ball and good in the air for his height (started out as a centre back with us). from his loan spell at Rangers it seems he can hit a decent free-kick as well.

on the flipside, he's not great going forward, he can be a bit hot-headed and has had his share of injuries, and then there's the attitude that BBB alluded to - there were rumblings of discontent even before the fall-out with Le Guen at Rangers, think he let his 'breakthrough' go to his head a bit last season. hopefully MON can knock that out of him.

he's got the potential to be a very good premiership defender if he applies himself, MON might just be the guy to get that application from him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Jim juts has a generic hate template for players.

That one fits ruud aswell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

scholes has improved carrick's game so much its frightening

Re: The charity match:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United manager Alex Ferguson has promised to play a full-strength side in the match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yippee :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

PFA Player of the Year: Cristiano Ronaldo

PFA Young Player of the Year: Cristiano Ronaldo

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Also well done Scholes on coming third in the main award.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

he thought your team talk was long winded and patronising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye that must be it.

Awful performance.

I was gutted but the fact that we're 4 points away from the league title and in the fa cup final which NONE of us would have believed makes things better.

Such a gutless performance icon_frown.gif

Dare I read the match thread?

oh and we got chased by a crazy shopkeeper with a breadknife \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Running Total: 15

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

qwerty2k – 17

Razor Eddie – 16

? – 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just seen that the Star linked us with Tevez on Wednesday. reliably (?) informed by the gf that we were linked with him in the Mirror today too. stuck him at the end rather than in alphabetical order, easier to see who's been added.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I think that's the main reason Mark (I said as much above prior to the post you've quoted), but the Rossi thing does keep Taz in the spotlight somewhat doesn't it?

Or it could be that Taz has actually improved significantly as a poster since last year. I didn't vote for him, but I do think he's making a good contribution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't actually being serious. I think he's just improved. He was my vote in that category.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived