The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

he seems to be reported in the media as a reason so many things go tits up.

keane bust up with cq due to interfering with tactics. blamed for the formation change. blamed for rooneys doc leaving. blamed for being portuguese in the ruud/ronaldo bust up. blamed for the iraq war.

i dont really buy it tbh, there no doubt hes not the saviour we all thought he was when he returned from madrid but hes used as a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong by far too many people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's done because some people don't want to criticise Fergie. I just find it quite bizarre, not that people don't like him or think he's not good enough, but don't seem to get that whether he wields no more power than an advisor, or is picking the team and the tactics, Fergie is the manager and therefore the buck stops with him.

It's like this assumption with england that once Sven leaves, things will be exactly the same because just because McClaren is his assistant, like he must therefore agree with every decision Sven makes or something.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NSteelez:

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I think I'm fairly safe to say what a crock it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whoa... we've got a live one here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

I was overwhelmed by Mark's superior wit and had a *whoosh* moment that has tarnished my name forever icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going more for the Gregg being clueless angle in making that cutlery related statement but reading my own statement back I can see how you thought I was slighting you, so my apologies for that.

No name tarnishing from my perspective! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not at all I didn't take it like that icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I seem to remember Taz being mocked for losing money betting on friendlies last year... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you're not supposed to bet on friendlies but I like Celtic's odds a lot and they don't usually treat it like a friendly against an English side

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I have 10 days to find a flat icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

The blue algae rash gone yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they were heat spots dammit and mostly yes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Lets all look at what this new keeper of ours can do. Just for gonch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaTQxlChMg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that his supersave or his absolute HOWLER against spurs at whl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howler for Poland where the other keeper scores. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

The thing is, as far as I can see there are three distinct camps with regards to how Hargreaves is viewed:

- those who have always rated him

- those who thought he was sh*t based on his sporadic England appearances and who now think he's the second coming because he was actually quite good in the World Cup (this group included most of the national press)

- those who thought he was sh*t based on what the above group thought, and who now (justifiably) think the fuss about his impressive World Cup is over-the-top

There are obviously those who just don't rate him despite having watched him for Bayern, but I've noticed a lot of people in discussions about OH lately dismissing his World Cup performances as a flash in the pan because 'he must have been sh*t before the World Cup, everyone said so!'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rated him before, and said we should drop Lampard for him before the WC started. But i also think things have gone a little over the top about him since the world cup as well. I think he's a good to very good player with time to improve, who's suddenly being rated as a world beater after one awesome game and a couple of good ones at the world cup.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Fletcher will prove you all wrong mark my words. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He really really really really really really really won't, you know.

Keyser's right, neither are United class tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah fletch has the potential. he ran his socks off in midweek, i was really impressed. just hope it gives him some confidence and he can continue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Besides, ACou doesn't hate O'Sullivan ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not hating O'Sullivan makes FAR FAR more sense than not hating Silvestre icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good point icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kuszczak, Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Silvestre </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf is going on with the bench? 3 defenders and a midfielder? Why no Smith? In the interest of a balanced team, i'd even have Richardson on there with no other winger available.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Surely part of the debate on the ticket debacle should be aimed at how the touts got the tickets in the first place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be good if the TO actually cared but they don't care at all. I sent an email detailing every single ticket on ebay and nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by manu legend:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Well, if anything it makes the Benfica game a bit exciting icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah the fact that if we lose we r out of the cl group stages for da 2nd time in 2 years. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get out of the thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

chill out. i meant to put icon_wink.gif after my comment earlier.

And besides, the UEFA might throw us up some interesting places to visit. A return to Amsterdam certainly appeals... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'd blatantly draw Blackburn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

you should ring them up and say 'don't make me ang li, you wouldn't like me when i'm ang li'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's just awful. icon_biggrin.gif

no glazers = no debt = something similar to the way barca are run >>>>>> treble.

we're living in fantasy land. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a better joke when Stewart Lee tells it though.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> LOSC Lille v Manchester United

Tuesday 20 February, kick off 20:45 (C.E.T)

The match will be played at the Stade Felix-Bollaert in Lens on Tuesday 20 February, kick off 20:45 (CET).

Ticket allocation and prices are yet to be confirmed however the following selling arrangements apply:

EXEC MEMBERS / SEASON TICKET HOLDERS AND ONE UNITED MEMBERS

Supporters who wish to register an application for this game can telephone 0870 442 1999 from 9am on Monday 15 January through to 5pm on Friday 19 January. All payments must be made by either debit / credit card and if successful an administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged.

As priority will be given to supporters who have who purchased a ticket and travelled to Lisbon, Copenhagen and Glasgow, we would ask these supporters to apply via the loyalty pot option and all other supporters to apply via the standard pot.

If oversubscribed, a ballot will take place to determine the successful applicants, with priority given to supporters who purchased a ticket and travelled to the 3 previous European away games working down in descending order until all tickets have been sold. Supporters are requested to telephone 0870 442 1999 from Friday 26 January to establish if their application has been successful, thereafter successful applicants will be required to complete a travel report which will be made available on the clubs official website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

So many twists and turns yet to come - its football ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculating is what makes it fun though. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye it is, but fans going through the highs and lows now will see them reversed in a few weeks probably.

Never seen so many negative posts from NickOGS20 as I have today, but no doubt in a few weeks he will be happy as larry - thats the beauty of football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i usually err on the pessimistic side anyway tbf. part of today is drunkenness but i'm a big believer in seizing opportunities when they present themselves and not doing so today will ultimately f**k us over this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it yeah, it's like in the F1, Alonso retiring in Hungary giving Ferrari a massive opportunity to gain 8-10pts, and they screwed it up and ultimately it cost them.

in the reading/wigan games it was certainly a case of "job done - lose concentration" (ta Silvestre)

in the away Hammers and Arsenal games it was just not playing well enough, whether it be because of dodgy formations or underperforming individuals, or both

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Giggs backs Hargreaves move

Ryan Giggs has backed Sir Alex Ferguson in his lengthy pursuit of Owen Hargreaves, insisting the England midfielder would ensure Manchester United are 'really strong'.

Ferguson attempted to prise Hargreaves from Bayern Munich in the summer transfer window after his impressive displays at the World Cup, but the German champions were steadfast in their refusal to sell.

A broken leg sustained in the opening weeks of the Bundesliga season led Hargreaves to focus on his recovery, but with the winter transfer window just weeks away, the Bayern star has again made no secret of his desire to move to Old Trafford.

Ferguson is expected to reignite his interest in the tenacious midfielder come January, and Giggs is convinced that the addition of Hargreaves would further strengthen United as they aim to hold off a strong title challenge from Chelsea.

"He is a player who would improve us. You want strength in depth and we would be really strong with him," Giggs told The Sun.

"Hargreaves is a quality player and showed that in the summer (at the World Cup)." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG HANG THE WELSH SCUMBAG (not you Gregg), HOW DARE HE TALK ABOUT ANOTHER PLAYER icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Zaragoza hope for Pique deal

Real Zaragoza are ready to haggle with Manchester United in a bid to keep Gerard Pique at the club.

Pique is spending the season on loan in La Liga and the Spanish defender is unsure what the future holds.

He revealed last week that he is keen to forge a career at Old Trafford, but is also wary about returning to the Premiership leaders.

The youngster admitted that, if next season promises a diet of reserve-team football, then he would prefer to stay with Zaragoza.

According to reports in Spain those comments have prompted Zaragoza to start enquiries with regards to a permanent deal for Pique.

A figure of €6million (£4million) has reportedly been quoted for the ex-Barcelona youth, with Zaragoza keen to negotiate down to €4m (£2.7m).

If a price can not be agreed, then the Spanish media expect Zaragoza to ask for another season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal in 2008.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

The "how long will NickOGS20 last in his new job" sweepstake

Okay as we all know, Nick starts his new job on Tuesday and has to be there at 9am and Nick and 9am haven't met each other many times in the last couple of years, so predict away lads.

BBB - 5 weeks

Gregg Carter - 16 Weeks

mark g - 25 minutes </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived