The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes of course the debts are there but I'd be very surprised if we had no more than this few million on Kusczak to spend.

potential Ruud sale/Mikel money/some funds put away for summer spending .. all combined we should have enough to make some moves in the transfer market.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Zambrotta can play on the wings remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can play wide in midfield, but you wouldn't call him a winger, which is what we need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a case of can, he is a winger...and an awesome one at that. Was only converted to a left-back a couple of seasons back afterall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Originally posted by BBB:

Fans that will pay loads for a ticket and just sit there and do nothing all game, then leave 15 mins early

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

I've heard Hargreaves deal is on, possibly for Thursday... £10m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where might you have heard this? i suppose it makes sense with him being around OT for the friendly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never reveal sources!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matt_e:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gómés:

Sign him up Fergie - he reminds me of a young Beckham, in his workrate and stamina around the pitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

more like a young phil neville tbh. id be pretty uninspired if we bought him, particularly if its anywhere near the £14m bayern want. he's decent and hard working but not at all creative and isnt really a tough tackling diarra/senna type that i think we should be making a priority. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised they're only demanding £14m, given he has a 4 year contract, is considered to be a key player and we recently signed another 25 year old England squad regular for £18.6m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wouldnt pay any more than £7m and thats just not gonna happen so id leave it and get senna before we **** the deal up totally and end up with no-one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

I'd just like to point out that Mart never left early today.

He did however vanish for a while during the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beer too much for him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he claimed he was going to the loo but i reckon he had a sneaky pie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Senna didn't want to join after we made it clear he was a fallback.

And I can only assume people within the club didn't feel mascherano was good enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they the only DM's in the world then? And it shows the right royal screw up of the Senna deal that we only stalled it at the point it was obvious he was a back up. How hard would it have been to make initial inquiries and then sit on it at that point until we had an indication of whether we were going to get Hargreaves as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There aren't many others who are of a good enough quality who we could also afford? The likes of Denilson (whom arsenal got) are good prospects, but we need someone now. Cambiasso won't leave Inter. There aren't many to pick from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While there may not be that many there aren't none. We can look a level below world class at the minute as we need a short term fix. And how can you defend not getting a prospect as we need someone now, when we haven't got anyone now? icon_biggrin.gif

finished article > great prospect > no-one > John O'Shea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, fair point icon_biggrin.gif

I can only assume we've got something lined up for January, although of course that helps us none over the next 4 months :/

just doing a little investigating into royal antwerp so far this season. They are currently top of the league undefeated with 2 wins and 2 draws.

they drew 3-3 yesterday with frazier campbell scoring 2, jonny evans was sent off after 65mins. Simpson also started with Dong coming off the bench.

the first game of the season was a 2-0 win, with dong and campbell starting up front, evans and simpson at the back. simpsons strong header forced a rebound which allowed there first goal in the 95" minute (wtf!?) dong then ran from his own half and scored again in the 97" minute. the match reports suggests the away fans were unhappy with the referee favouring the home side. (7minutes of extra time haha, united esque :*).

second match was drawn 0-0, campbell seemed to have done well in the first half and opens the scoring at the beginning of the second half with a "wonder goal". he was voted man of the match in a game where evans and dong didnt feature.

The third game was a 3-0 win to the mighty antwerp, campbell getting the first and 2 other randoms getting the others. Campbell won man of the match again with the majority vote.

ex united player kirk hilton also plays for Antwerp after a transger from Altrincham.

Go on the antwerp.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

tbf the guy is 15, he's hardly likely to be schooled in the extent of the financial situation under the glazers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can’t say that age is a valid excuse really gonch. Regardless of years it’s about having the intellectual capacity to understand the situation.

Obviously don’t castrate the boy for being somewhat ignorant, there’s a good chance he hasn’t been fully exposed to the potential/impending severity of the situation if a number of factors come together to screw us over, but anyone who’s been informed about the situation can see it for what it is and that is negative for the football club.

But provided with the facts and not just anti-Glazer rhetoric he should be able to make up his own mind. If he’s still content with the Glazer’s being in control after being furnished with this information he’ll be, well there’s no easy way to put it, wrong, and he’ll get short shrift in here if he espouses pro-Glazer views on the business side. But if he comes in here and doesn’t pull a [insert random ****] and talk rubbish about the football side of things I don’t care what he does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

A few more pics from Saturday

Eddie in Asda buying knives for his victims

lads, O'shea is a good player

chug chug chug

see now THAT'S where the wall is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ryan looks a bit like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Howard's way forward unclear

United States international Tim Howard admits he is unsure whether his future will lie with Everton or Manchester United at the end of his season-long loan at Goodison Park.

The Red Devils goalkeeper has been in impressive form since joining The Toffees over the summer, conceding 12 goals in 13 appearances with the Merseyside outfit so far this season.

Howard has cemented his position as number one choice for David Moyes, but his long-term future remains in doubt as it will be Sir Alex Ferguson who has the final say regarding his destiny.

In Howard's absence, United have recruited Tomas Kuszczak from West Brom, whilst they also boast on-loan Watford shot stopper Ben Foster on their books, and both could act as further cover behind Edwin van der Sar next season.

With competition likely to be strong at Old Trafford, Howard's first team prospects could be better served by a permanent switch to Merseyside, but the American insists no decision has been made - leaving him somewhat in the dark about his future.

"Long term, I don't really know [what the future holds]," said Howard.

"I truly think decisions are going to be taken out of my hands.

"I think my opinion will count for something but it is a long season and I am sure Everton and Manchester United will make decisions that need to be made.

"If my input is wanted I am sure I will be asked.

"I am definitely enjoying it here but it is difficult to tell the future." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's finished at OT for me.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

So yeah, thoughts are pretty obvious to be honest, thank God that they scored early, did us a massive favour.

And a special mention to Carrick, but for his intervention it would have been 0-2 and big trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that's true, why no mention for the fact that he was the most culpable for their goal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the whole disillusionment with the entire performance early on and the awesomeness of the finish, I hadn't actually considered who was at fault for it icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yeah fella, I'll paypal the money over on Friday okay mate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do well icon14.gif

and yeah RedBlood, posted yours on Sunday night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

With the Newcastle loan move i think it was quite clear Roeder never had any intention to play Rossi and only brought him in as back up.

Then when Rossi did play he played in a team full of injury problems that played the long ball or he was stuck out on the wing.

And while i dont use Reserve football as a big judge of anything other than the fact Rossi is way too good for it his performances for us against the likes of West Brom and Birmingham in the league cup when they were prem teams and fielded good sides as well as his prem start against Charlton fill me with hope.

Nobody is expecting rossi to start against Chelsea or anyone but i think he is more than capable of starting cup games or against lower sides in the division. People keep banging on about experience but fail to see there is only one way to gain that experience and that is play games.

At the very least he should be getting his fair share of minutes from the bench.

On the same level, people are judging him because he isn't scoring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a striker so goals are a pretty big factor in how he will be judged, and so they should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

@ RedBlood

My question to you sir is do you know when More4 is going to start showing Studio 60?

Sorry for going completely off topic but I'm not going into the dedicated thread to get spoiled.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>They haven't announced yet

I heard January a while back but guess that is wrong

Will be soon i would imagine now the christmas break is over in the US

Outplay maybe sounds a bit strong, but they were the better team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In case your failing eyes missed it gonch.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

\o/'ing a horrible injury like that is out of order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly like he's dead is it? And I don't see you getting on your moral high horse when people make comments along the lines of 'I hope Richardson breaks both his legs' etc.

So, yeah, I think I'll stick to my own idea of what's 'out of order' rather than be dictated to, cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick said he's just seen him put in an ambulance, but \o/ obviously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ali's right, it's a touch hypocritical

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

who was that french keeper who played in the munich testimonial who kept on coming out of goal etc and was generally funny?

should have got him in for this game (although he is probably about 40 now) or barthez. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can't remember his name, and no amount of googling is helping icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've just checked my bank account and based on the price of the ticket thats gone out I *think* I might have a Roma ticket (home leg obvi), that is unless I've been given a ticket for Sheff United or Boro & they've given me a more expensive ticket than I asked for.

As for the Eidur link I'd take him for three reasons:

1. Quality

2. Versatility

3. Affordability

This is obviously balanced by our financial position & the clear move for Hargreaves thats going to be made.

Regardless of whether we win 1, 2 or 3 trophies this year (or God forbid none) I don't think anyone here expects to see Hargreaves + Torres/Eto'o/Villa in a Seba + Ruud summer spending spree. Just don't think we can do it.

Eidur might not be lightning fast but he's no slouch either, he's got very good composure when it comes to finishing & his movement coupled with his ability to sit up top or link play makes him a real threat. Would've been a nice boost last year or the year before but circumstances clearly didn't allow for it. If Barca want to make the £7-8mill they paid back for him I wouldn't have a problem with us paying it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Roma ticket came this morning.

£10 icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, you're a minor - we get the point

I'm sure I've told this story a million times before, but it was the day of my last ever uni exam and I'd been drinking since four. Sat and watched the 90 minutes in the pub, then went and slept under a tree for about an hour. Woken by triumphant txts from scouse supporting mates. Realised that their victory meant I'd won £650. Didn't really cheer me up. Went to the cashpoint and withdrew £120. Spent it all in a bar. Cried a little. Threw up. Put myself on media blackout for about a month.

A horrible, horrible time. I pray it doesn't happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougs:

just a quick question for you man utd folk.

i got my ticket for the semi final there the other day from blackburn. now i went to the section on the man u website which gives you a seating plan, and what view you have.

i am say in the East Stand, Tier 1, Upper

anyway im in block E233, but yet the seating plan on the website doesnt have that block, closest to this they do have, is block E333

so can anyone tell me, is this a misprint?

some other rovers fans from the rovers forums have the same area as me.

cheers, and hopefully we can do a few chelsea players in as well for ya, maybe break fat franks legs, or drogbas icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

E233 is the section next to where the away fans sit, it doesn't appear on the United website for some reason, guess because it is sometimes used by the away fans.

• 3 weeks later...

in a weird way the Chelsea game is least important of the ones remaining, because if we just make sure we beat the sides we should be beating in the other 3 it'll be sealed no matter what

however I sadly still see a high chance of us dropping points somewhere along the way

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Matt this last night, but who would you all imagine would make way for Hargreaves in the starting XI?

Carrick is the obvious one, but it'd be harsh to relegate him after the season he's had. Scholes is obviously unmoveable and you're not going to spend £19m on Hargreaves to have him as backup, so are you going to move to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 more permanently? Could it see the beginning of Giggs being phased out, and Rooney/Ronaldo/Park being used as the wide players in the 4-3-3?

SIR ALEX FERGUSON ONCE DESCRIBED Manchester United as “a bus that waits for no man†and, as he consoled himself with a little retail therapy yesterday with long-awaited confirmation of a deal to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich, it became clear that Gabriel Heinze would be foremost among those passengers left behind.

Heinze was chosen ahead of Patrice Evra at left back on Saturday, at the end of a season-long battle between the two of them, but the FA Cup Final seems certain to mark the Argentina defender’s swansong as a United player. He has told teammates that he does not expect to be at Old Trafford next season, with a move to an unidentified Spanish club believed to be on the cards.

Having served three years of a five-year contract, Heinze could be bought out of his existing deal for approximately £6 million under new Fifa transfer regulations, but United are likely to settle for a slightly smaller sum for a player who has struggled to regain his top form since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage in September 2005 after a highly impressive first season at the club.

There will be other departures this summer, with Ferguson eager to find reinforcements in certain areas and to accommodate a number of young players who have impressed on loan this season. Mikaël Silvestre and Louis Saha are also vulnerable, despite having signed new contracts in the past 12 months, although Saha hopes that recent uncertainty over his future, arising from a series of injuries, will be eased when Ranko Stojic, his agent, speaks to the club this week.

As for Hargreaves, a fee in the region of £18 million was agreed with Bayern last week, with the German club waiting until the end of the Bundesliga campaign yesterday to announce that the deal was done. The midfield player has agreed a four-year contract and could undergo a medical examination at Old Trafford this week, possibly to coincide with his planned appearance in an England B international against Albania at Turf Moor, Burnley, on Friday. No problems are expected, even though he has not recovered full fitness since suffering a broken leg last September.

The signing would be welcomed by Michael Carrick, who would expect to play alongside Hargreaves in midfield next season. “World-class players are going to strengthen you,†Carrick said. “We’re at the biggest club in the world, we want the best players and Owen is a top player.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARGENTINA icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived