The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Snowdon:

What happened to the prospects of signing Gattuso? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We ever had them?

What Bling said basically.

Ronaldo is an idiot, but then I've always thought that. Just don't like the way he acts on the pitch. But nothing that happened today should make a case for getting shot of him really. Would like to think he might mature at some point though. Yeah he's young, but he's been playing long enough now to realise how to stop acting likea complete w*nker most of the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Whats the feeling on Man Utd websites re Rooney and Ronaldo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

love, deep love.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

Manchester United has noted the increasing media speculation over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Club can confirm there is no possibility of Cristiano being sold. Cristiano recently signed a new contract until 2010 and the Club fully expects him to honour that contract.

The Club will not listen to any offers for Cristiano.

Cristiano is one of the brightest young stars in world football as demonstrated by his performances at the World Cup and Manchester United is not in the business of selling their best young players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yas! We'll keep him clearly unhappy till his contract runs down and then sell him for free!

OR, are we declaring he's NFS and then HUGE offer comes in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably a bit of both - hedging our bets on the off-chance that he fancies staying after all.

Which tbf is a damn sight better way of handling things than the shambles where we advertised Ruud's availability to the world at large.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge claims the club have already discussed personal terms with Ruud van Nistelrooy, but insists the ball is firmly in Manchester United's court.

The Dutch forward seems intent on leaving Old Trafford, as Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson stated on Sunday that van Nistelrooy had been hankering after a transfer for over a year.

Bayern are eager to bring the striker to the Allianz Arena, but face competition for his services from Real Madrid.

The German champions claim the Dutchman favours a crack at life in the Bundesliga, but need United to give the green light.

"Van Nistelrooy has told us he would like to play for us next season," Rummenigge told Bild.

"We have already spoken about money with him but it would be United who will finally decide.

"He (van Nistelrooy) is one of the best strikers in Europe, he gets goals and he is a personality.

"It would be great if we could land a striker of his calibre.

"We have time, the transfer window is open for five weeks. Van Nistelrooy has told us that he can play for Bayern.

"Manchester United must decide the rest and they won't give him away for nothing." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson believes injuries could be the key to Manchester United's success in the coming term, after mixed early form coupled with a number of absences hampered his efforts last season.

The Red Devils briefly threatened to cut Chelsea's lead at the tail end of the last campaign thanks to a superb run in the new year, but the Scot wants to see a more consistent season from his troops this time around.

United are yet to dip into the transfer market during the summer, a situation that has raised doubts about their ability to compete with the reigning champions, but Ferguson insists he is happy with his current squad.

Although he is working hard to bring in reinforcements, the United boss believes that if his current crop of players stay largely injury free they can pose a problem to the pre-eminent Chelsea.

"I am not unhappy with my squad as it is," said Ferguson.

"We are trying to sign a couple of players who would give us something different and bring a bit of variety to our play.

"But when you look back at our form over the latter half of last season, I am not unhappy with the players I have.

"What we do need is a bit of a break at the start of the season, because long-term injuries have been crippling us.

"By the end of September last year, we already had six players out; then we lost Ryan Giggs with a fractured cheekbone, Paul Scholes suffered his eye problem and Alan Smith picked up that horrendous injury at Liverpool.

"They were all unusual injuries, the type you do not expect, and in each case it put the player out for months.

"In terms of the title, if we can avoid those injuries in the early part of the season I think we will have a massive chance."

A midfielder remains a priority, with United already seeing a bid for Tottenham star Michael Carrick turned down, and Ferguson is prepared to again utilise Welsh winger Ryan Giggs in a central role if required.

"We know what Ryan can do," Ferguson added.

"His pace and balance is always going to be a threat to defences. But when our midfield was decimated last season Ryan produced the maturity and experience which was so vital.

"He is a fantastic option for us in central midfield, but we also have the option of using him as a forward."

One player hoping to be given the chance to shine is Darren Fletcher after he fell out of favour towards the end of last season.

The Scottish international featured in all three of the club's pre-season games in South Africa, and insists he will cope with the challenge of new blood should players arrive at Old Trafford.

"Maybe there will be a new midfielder," said Fletcher.

"This is Manchester United. There are new players coming in all the time.

"The club need to buy players to progress. It is all part of being here.

"But the situation is fair. If you are performing the manager will pick you." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Or rather 07:22 :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfft, not exactly the same story. It just further reinstates that he wants to leave and we need him icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As James hinted earlier, if you ever hear his interviews, he actually always says words to the effect that he'd like to play in England at some point, but if he did leave it'd only be for a CL club. He also generally says he's happy at Bayern.

That's not to say we couldn't get him, but let's not buy into the myth that he's desperate to leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

In the most stylishly effortless way possible. Passers-by were applauding and everything.

Nah, Keith in the lake blatantly the highlight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does any one else have any lumps on them??€

gotm them all over mostly legs mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many hookers did you sleep with?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well as jonny and mart wanted to go back to the hotel to play cards on the last night rather then going in the banana bar none

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

My phone is crap, tbh. The camera on it is worse than useless.

I did think of that, though. Just had a few quids to spare. icon_cool.gif

I do not eat prawns, ever. They look too much like babies willies for me to eat, tbh. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmmm... babies willies icon_biggrin.gif

Only joking - I like prawns - had some crayfish a few weeks ago for the first time - very nice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I don't want anyone at Man Utd who will get in fights with 14 year olds or try and blind players of our youth team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keano? icon_biggrin.gif

1 - O'shea

Reason: Look over the past 2 pages tbh.

2 - Richardson

Reason: Consistently dissapoints when he is picked to play and is showing no signs of improvement over the last 2/3 years (apart from his WBA stint). Only has his pace and he will lose that in a couple of years when he has a serious hamstring injury (see Owen in 2000 , he was never the same player). Think we should get rid now before his price begins to decrease and it will within the next 2/3 years.

3. Liam Miller

Reason: Only below Richardson & O'shea because the above two would actually bring in some money to the club, where as this idiot will probably leave on a free. I don't think I have ever seen a glimpse of promise from him and even watching him against Preston RESERVES he was the worst player on the pitch.

This is where it gets tough....

4.Silvestre

Reason: Since day one I have never rated him that highly and has got continually worse over past season or two. Lacks the ability to even do the simple things correct and usually his mistakes cost us dearly. As I have stated before , should have gone in January tbh. (Awaits the backlash).

5.Eagles - in 2003 when we played Leeds United in a league cup game a young Christopher Eagles made his first team debut as a second half substitute and impressed me a lot. I have never seen this lad replicate his performance from that murky night in Yorkshire. Will never be a premiership player in my opinion let alone a player good enough for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Can United OTFers stop texting random transfer rumours around unless there's a source? icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's like a bloody chain letter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said what? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Chelsea win 1-0. Bolton missed a few half decent chances. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont mind.. we're top. we need to focus on our own game and keep winning.

which we're doing for now icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done a law degree, if you want to know anything Alistair? You won't need to give me any small talk about overrated retired Finnish F1 drivers either. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much appreciated, erm... snipers (I wish that was your real name, that'd be fb), but alas, too late. I got advice off Mika last night after placating him with Silvestre praise. It felt very wrong icon_frown.gif

Does this mean you're a solicitor / barrister? Or did you jack the whole thing in?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

krifbbb to get 2 as well btw.

PLEAE BREAK YOUR LEG KIERAN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wait i cant work out if thats irony or not

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I am claiming the assist for Ronaldo's first goal.

I am off to get drunk now \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp jonny, great ball in son.

have a beer on me and i hope you meet whats her face

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

scholes a maniac. why was rooney taken off anyone?

btw, save from VDS was unreal. forget scholes, forget ronaldo, forget larsson. he's the reason united are top of the league, should have been bought after schmeichel left.

as long as he doesnt die im more than happy at the thought of silvestre lying in a hospital bed unavailable for selection for the next few months. sorry like.

ronaldo was a great outlet tonight. always critical of him but he was vital tonight. gutted beyond belief that were losing henke. he oozes class, some of his touches are just sensational, he makes everything look so easy. never gonna be prolific but pops up with vital goals. wp for the contribution you gorgeous swede. smudge coming back highlight of the night for me, could be huge for us over the coming weeks. or he could sit it out as giggs plays in his position and richardson starts wide left. hmm.

anyone but the english sides please. wouldnt interest me at all and id much prefer a tough trip to bayern than a sh*t flinging fest at anfield ta.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aggressive minor:

Keane has done an amazing job at Sunderland really. Could really have the potential to be a top manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, but he's only experieced good times so far. Sparky is ahead at the moment due to his experience and the way he's overcome the bad times with Blackburn.

I would love either of them though.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

I've come round now tbh. I was fuming when seedorf scored, and that was the killer blow for me. I knew there was no coming back after that.

Milan just looked superior to us all over the pitch tonight. Exactly the same as the other times we've been knocked out over the years - Madrid, Bayern, Leverkusen, Milan. Fergie just doesn't have the tactical awareness to cut in europe IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't forget Benfica 2–1 Manchester United and Porto 3-2 (agg.) Manchester United :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and credit to the milan fans, stupidly loud throughout, made anfield like a morgue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*(

maybe something to do with there being 30,000 more people or something?

guess we'll see in athens eh?

mwah x

• 4 weeks later...

so this basically means we will be playing 4 2 3 1 next season, i guess saha/rooney/smudge up front with the 3 being nani/giggsy/anderson/rooney/ronaldo/scholesy/park and the 2 being from hargs/carrick/scholesy/fletcher.

I'm quite wet. TOTAL FOOTBALL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

something like..

MC Hargreaves

MC Carrick

AM Scholes

FW Ronaldo

FW Nani

ST Rooney

with the front 3 all switching around at will icon_cool.gif

and even that's assuming we dont bring another striker in, which is still possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

The only other thing i can say is that we haven't fallen out like this since last summer when Ruud left, so i think it must be the influence of all the Anelka rumours, disrupting thread harmony. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the ramifications of Ruudgate still exist today. I don't think Mika is on speaking terms with several people in this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did wonder if i was one of those when he mentioned it (see point b earlier) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too.

Christ, it's like I'm mark-lite at the moment icon_frown.gif

Archived