The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Look, we can all rave about 'Hargers' or we can put his performance into context (and I don't want to detract from a superb achievement)

He ran his arse off

He was a tackling machine

he scored a penalty

Um

Thats it. He was brilliant, exactly the man you want when you're down to 10 men.

Do I think he can do a job? Yes. Is he better than John O'Shea? Yes. Is he the solution to England and United's midfield woes? I don't think so.

It's called an opinion pet, and I actually think I was completely right even in the light of this performance. He still can't pass or play attacking football of any kind. His one moment in the corner was fantastic, but that is literally the first time I've seen him beat a man and not lose control and watch it go out for a throw in.

Not that the English are reactionary or anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really are a clown aren't you. I'd have had a bit of respect for you if you'd said you thought he was **** but you'd got it wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didnt he finish as with Englands best pass completion percentage and so far one of the best percentages in the world cup? It was about 93% before the Portugal game!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

So Ribery's apparently in talks with Spurs at the moment :/

Ah, don't you love that feeling, the rush of another top class target slipping through our fingers icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paper talk?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I actually realised when I woke up that a small percentage of me was excited about today. Which really bothered me :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's called a morning glory mate, most blokes get that.

Although i wouldn't go into too much detail about how small a percentage we're talking.

Technically we should have about £40 million ( 12 from Mikel, 10 for Ruud plus this seasons 25 mill budget) to spend this year but it is quite obvious we have nowhere near that.

I have given up all hope of signing anyone decent. If we sign any outfield player I will be surprised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FERGUSON WON'T MAKE A PANIC BUY

Sir Alex Ferguson is adamant he will not do anything "stupid" in the transfer market this summer.

The Manchester United boss has been linked with scores of new players since the last campaign came to a close. So far though, he has failed to make a single signing.

Mahamadou Diarra, Fernando Torres and, more recently Patrick Vieira are among those who have been most strongly linked with Old Trafford, yet the only bid for an outfield player Ferguson has made is for Michael Carrick.

With Chelsea spending big to take Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko and Salomon Kalou to Stamford Bridge already, it is little wonder many Red Devils fans are starting to get twitchy at the lack of activity at their club.

But Ferguson has been around long enough not to panic.

He is still working hard to freshen up his squad but he will not be spending Malcolm Glazer's cash just for the sake of it.

"Fans want to see new signings and a new face which makes a difference to our play and bring more success," Ferguson said.

"We are trying to sign a couple of players who would add variety to our play. They are different types of players to the ones we have and that would only strengthen us.

"But, at the end of the day, we will not be stupid. I am quite adamant about that."

Ferguson revealed his firm interest in Carrick began prior to the World Cup.

Almost two months later, United appear to be no nearer landing the Wallsend-born midfielder, with Ferguson aware Tottenham are trying to drag discussions out.

However, the Scot has left the White Hart Lane club in no doubt they are mistaken if they think United will go anywhere near the £17million they are thought to be demanding for the former West Ham star.

"The bid for Michael Carrick was an attempt to do some fundamental business before the World Cup," confirmed Ferguson.

"But Tottenham turned it down and said they are looking at something approaching double what we offered.

"In that situation, I can understand them wanting to play the long game. But we have put a value on Michael and we will not go above that."

Although it now appears certain Vieira is bound for Inter Milan, Ferguson admitted he is still assessing the fall-out from Juventus' relegation to Serie B before deciding whether to pick some flesh off the carcass of the scandal-hit Turin giants.

The Italian match-fixing probe, combined with Real Madrid's presidential elections and the World Cup have made it a strange summer all round in the transfer market.

With the notable exception of Chelsea, most of Europe's top clubs are only just starting to crank up their squad-building activities.

However, it appears Ferguson has decided the seemingly imminent departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy to either Real or Bayern Munich will not trigger a recruitment drive in the striking department.

Having encountered difficulties trying to prise Torres away from Atletico Madrid, Ferguson seems to have decided if Van Nistelrooy does leave, he will offer rising star Giuseppe Rossi the chance to back up Louis Saha, Wayne Rooney and Alan Smith, who will be restored to forward duties once he returns from his horrific double leg break at the end of next month.

"If the situation changes in terms of forward players and Ruud does go, I will have to make a decision about Giuseppe and it may be that I keep him," said Ferguson.

"If I have to do that, I am keeping a player with a lot of talent.

"He is a natural goalscorer, has a good football brain and he will improve by playing in our team.

"But, if van Nistelrooy does stay, Giuseppe going out on loan for six months will be a great experience for him. I am sure he will come back a better and a more mature player."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

“If you look at us signing Eric Cantona for £1 million — and I think this is probably the best way to do it — and how much you’re seeing centre forwards like Shev chenko going for, you have to ask yourself this: is Shevchenko 35 times better than Cantona?â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a bizzare point... icon_confused.gif Pele probably wouldn't have cost that much in about 1726 but not sure quite how relavent that is...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

the independent are running with the masherano story. it appears to gathering some weight. COME THE FCUK WAN!!! icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i spell it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

\o/ Elmonzo \o/

Consensus was that the roundup wasn't happening until something happened. I think... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A nice welcome for once :*)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

is it matts birthday tomorrow i cant remember? i think it is. he is one day older than me, i hope mufc give matt a nice birthday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They gave him Rooney in 2004 icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dutch Dave:

Remember, that if you guys really want Huntelaar, you're getting this too:

http://img.downstairs.cc/img/fd11fbe98f445ede75e8634930664c6c/huntelaar.gif

http://suprfile.com/src/1/395fjd3/huntelaarguzman.gif

http://suprfile.com/src/1/3cimn59/KlaasJanH2.gif

Especially the last one is brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't figure out if he is doing that on purpose or if he is simply a god awful bloody idiot icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Purpose. He tends to get a little frustrated at times. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And they'd have had more had we played with a proper formation sooner :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as if "formations" make a difference

the entire reason we were crap last year was because of Ruud slowing the side down with his ruthless finishing

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I think I saw Chris Waddle walking through South Stand tunnel after the game. Anyone know if he was commentating/punditing for anyone today?

He's a fat bastard now if it was him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was AG's co-com today.

And people say I can't write a short post...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> “It’s all true. I could have been a Red Devil. Manchester United representatives contacted me in August.†Del Piero told Sky Italia.

“At first I was flattered, but I never really thought of leaving Juventus. I’ve been playing 13 years in this club and I want to finish my career here.â€

“I’m sure Alex Ferguson understood my decision.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aw man, legend :*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

How are we playing as a whole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crowd horrible, Richardson horrible.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're a given in fairness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Staying with the striker talk what does everyone think of Benni McCarthy for the backup/competition to Saha place? Have been really impressed with him this season - doesn't seem to have many weaknesses. He's now proven he can score goals in the Premiership and wouldn't need that bedding in period. He has the European experience and a winner's medal with Porto in 04. I'm presuming he has settled in the area. I know you have to double a transfer fee for us but he wouldn't be that expensive. Only downside would be long term - he's 30 in November - thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes 30 this year, would cost quite a bit, isnt good enough, is 30 this year, why do need him as back up, hes not good enough, hes 30 this year, would cost more than you think, no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm actually having a positive half-hour. sheffield united at OT next tuesday, gap back to six as a RESURGENT (yet still every bit as hideously c**tish) west ham side go to stamford bridge the following night, the pressure back on them. we roll on to the weekend and again, we have the easier game, boro at home, ronaldo will casually dive to win and convert another winning penalty, southgate will explode in a ball of big-nosed rage and the gap's six again, possibly nine ahead of chelsea's potentially awkward trip to geordieland for an early game on the sunday.

can't see us being any worse off after that little run than still three points ahead with only four games to go, things look alright then.

(we'll discuss the rickety-looking 'everton away bridge' when we come to cross it)

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

who sings that version of dirty old town that's sometimes played at traff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be Ewan MacColl btw, but his version has a female singer.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2089900,00.html

should we count this or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Difficult. It's sort of halfway between being linked with him, and a come and get me plea. Personally i'd include it, given that it's paper speculation rather than straight comments from him, so it's technically a player being linked.

Fingers crossed Nick's out of bed by now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

I was in the Royal Oak in Droylsden, its not near the ground or anything, just that the landlord and a few others are FC Utd fans </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the prince of orange is in ashton, near the bus station.

i think i might know someone who goes in the royal oak who is an fc utd fan, don't think he would have been in there after the final though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived