The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

If Javier ever logged on to OTF he'd be amazed at the amount of times people butcher his name on here icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>people just get that excited when they mention him they become unable to properly construct words, let alone coherent thoughts.

I cannot be bothered reading the 3 pages that occured since I went out.

From what I can gather Rooney was sent off for pushing Ronaldo which was harsh but Rooney should know you cannot raise your hands.

The referee gave a freekick for the foul & then as soon as Ronaldo came over & Rooney puished him thats when he gave the red.

The only thing Ronaldo did wrong was coming over to complain. What he did was wrong but what Rooney did was just silly.

So really it was Rooney's fault.

I am drunk so apologise for any errors in my post icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm offline for a few hours to play a couple of games of 5's, we sign Kusczak on loan in a cracking piece of business for both clubs and the three players involved, and some are complaining?

You're all crazy people (bar Nick/Mika/and whomever else has agreed with them over the last three pages). Okay so its mainly gonch who's lost his marbles over this but I'm sure there were a couple of other dissenting voices.

I'm surprised that there's even questions being raised over the fact that we've given two players worth about £600-750k in exchange for Kusczak. Not every loan, especially ones where player has some sort of profile, is 'free' bar the portion of the wages that has been split/taken on by the clubs involved. As I understand it there are numerous loan deals, on the continent especially, that see the loaning club pay a small fee for the services of the desired player. In our case I'd rather that be two players who weren't going to get a real chance with us than actual cash. This deal is better for everyone in the short and long term.

Good to see Lee Martin going on loan to Rangers as well. Is it a 6-month deal like Jonah had at PNE last year or a year-long deal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I must have an air of authority. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, you just look like a great big softy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Coppell icon_biggrin.gif

I had to cut Robbo, so I understand Mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's favourites don't forget, not best players. Or at least that's what it was last year, so i did the same again.

It's harder for us, as we've seen a lot more united teams to pick players from.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Ryan's been banned, for this. I can't remember the last time i saw such a disgusting, hate filled post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A nice, hilarious ring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

can a kindly mod change acous' display name to remove the numbers from it (whether he likes it or not) please. kthnx. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? He's the worst of the lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Vidic so good

decent odds on a United clean sheet today.. though that would jinx it wouldnt it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not allowed to bet on us according to Mart. Or against us for that matter. Pretty much leaves you with 'first corner' or something, although with Chelsea's set piece skills that probably counts as a jinx too.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Our defence of the FA Cup in 2000 >>>>>>>>>> Liverpool's defence of the trophy in 2007 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf we should be a little worried, they'll have more time to concentrate on their title push now.

• 2 weeks later...

the u18's won their youth cup game tonight btw, 2-0 against Southampton. pretty damn impressive, southampton have a quality youth setup and we've got a very raw group of lads at the minute, most of who aren't even 17 yet. Sam Hewson and Danny Drinkwater got the goals, and we've got Palace at home in the next round (sometime in the next fortnight), hopefully at OT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

all this talk of away tickets..

I cannot wait for Spurs icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a fuppin' gloater. icon_biggrin.gif

Stop it, ffs. icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

not like me to make a mongy post now is it mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really want me to answer that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

14AlanSmithifb 85

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Ryno - 62

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

SLO_Fila 43

? - 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

absolutely fuming atm. booked tickets to see ocean colour scene a few months back, it was meant to be at the beginning of this month, but got postponed. turns out it's this wednesday, didn't realise until yesterday that it fell on the same day as the milan tie. really don't know what to do icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OCEAN COLOUR SCENE

UNITED-MILAN

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHAHAHHA SHUT UP YOU CHILDISH ***** HAHAHAHAA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cantonarv:

Also just looking at Alvaro Recoba he is out of contract at the end of the season. He's only 30 perhaps a cheeky bid for him?

Rotating him and Giggs would be sweet - He would be an awesome player for 2 years at least giving us more time and saving us money to buy Nani or whoever in a couple of years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

recoba is rubbish. so, so, so much talent, but an utterly abusmal attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FOR most youngsters leaving Hearts before they have registered a first-team appearance, the only way is down.

However, David Gray is one player who has broken the mould in impressive fashion, with the 19-year-old from Roslin having just completed his third season on the books of the mighty Manchester United.

For those of a maroon persuasion, Gray is probably best remembered as the much-coveted 16-year-old the Old Trafford club plundered from the Tynecastle youth ranks for £50,000 back in 2004.

"I joined Hearts' youth initiative when I was ten and played with them until I was 16," recalled Gray, a boyhood Hearts supporter. "I played in the same teams as Lee Wallace, Calum Elliot and John Armstrong even though they were a year above me. I still keep in touch with them and I'm pally with Jason Thomson, who has just been out on loan at Livingston. I played for the Under-19s a few times when I was only 16 so that was good.

"But then I was approached by a Man United scout who comes from Penicuik and he asked if I'd be interested in going down for a week. I went down with my parents for a week and trained with the youngsters at Carrington [united's training base]. It was an amazing experience and I knew straight away that was where I wanted to go. I went down a few more times to prepare myself for it and met Sir Alex Ferguson before I moved down there three years ago."

Since then, the level-headed youngster has progressed through the Lancashire club's academy and established himself as a foraging right-back in the reserves. His meteoric rise was capped when Ferguson handed him a first-team outing in the Carling Cup clash with Crewe Alexandra last October before he was handed further proof of the high regard in which he is held in the shape of a two-year extension to his contract.

Gray, who is preparing to move into a house he has recently bought, having spent the past three years in digs near Carrington with his young team-mates, admits he still has to pinch himself when he trains with the illustrious names in the United first team.

"Since I came here we've generally trained separately from the first team," he said. "But occasionally the first team might want an 11-a-side match or they might be a few players short so they ask some of us to go up and train with them. That's always an eye-opener because you see close up how frightening guys like [Wayne] Rooney and [Cristiano] Ronaldo really are.

"When you get told you're training with the first team you get a real buzz. You know you're going to have to be on top of your game because they all take it seriously.

"Although we don't train with them every day, we see the first team most days because they train at the same complex as us. We all use the same canteen and mingle together at lunchtime. The boys are all really good with the youngsters at the club and make you feel a part of it. There's definitely no 'us and them' mentality.

"Guys like Gary Neville and Wes Brown are especially good at helping you because they know what it's like to come through the ranks as youngsters themselves. I'm very pally with Darren Fletcher because he comes from Dalkeith, which is down the road from Roslin where I come from. I actually moved into his digs when I arrived here and he always looks out for me."

Gray, who returns north whenever possible to spend time with friends and family, saw all his hard work pay off eight months ago when he realised his dream of playing for the United first team.

"It was away to Crewe in the Carling Cup on the 25th of October," he recalled as readily as his date of birth. "I was told I was in the squad and I had a strong idea I'd be playing from the start because of the way we lined up in training the day before. I was so nervous the night before the game and it was live on Sky, which made it even better.

"I knew all my mates would be watching back home and my family were at the game which made it even more special. When I got to the ground and got into the atmosphere I was pretty calm and just focused on playing my normal game.

"I played in the back four with Wes Brown, Mikael Silvestre and Gabriel Heinze and Ole Gunnar Solskjaaer played in front of me on the right of midfield so that was amazing. I had to go off after about 70 minutes with concussion but the manager said I'd done well so that meant a lot to me. That night was easily the highlight of my career so far because playing for Manchester United is everything I've worked for. No-one can take that away from me now."

At the start of the current year, Gray, along with a handful of other highly-rated United starlets, was farmed out to Royal Antwerp, a Belgian Second Division outfit with whom the Premiership champions have a long-established partnership. Such a move further underlined United's expectations for Gray, as the Antwerp experience was one previously enjoyed by first-team regular John O'Shea, while the Midlothian teenager was accompanied to aid the Belgian club's promotion bid by Darron Gibson, a midfielder who has already broken into the full Republic of Ireland squad.

However, Gray's career path took a rare downturn when he tore his cruciate ligaments in only his second match for Antwerp against KAS Eupen in January.

The injury forced him to return to Manchester and has ruled him out of a possible reunion with Wallace and Elliot in the Scotland squad for this summer's Under-20 World Cup in Canada.

However, Gray is expecting to return to action at the end of August and take up where he left off.

"Obviously it's frustrating to get an injury like that when I was doing so well, but I hope to get back playing at the end of August or start of September," he said. "I'll hopefully get my match fitness back in the reserves and then the aim is to go back out on loan and get some more first-team experience. Ultimately the dream is to make the breakthrough and become a first-team regular at Old Trafford."

A refreshingly grounded youngster for one of such talent, few would bet against him accomplishing the unlikely rise from Hearts' youth ranks to centre stage at the Theatre of Dreams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very nice read about David Gray

Archived