The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

I'm kind of losing interest in it all now, I want Fergie to go and a new broom with a different view on things bought in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear a balding Swede is looking for a job. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a broom with hair icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

All the albion fans I know think 4m is a joke of a fee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they want 10m for curtis davies /o\

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fledglings fly to Glasgow

A young 17-man United squad has flown to Glasgow to face Celtic in Wednesday night's friendly at Celtic Park.

Although many of the Reds' big-name stars have been back in training on Monday and Tuesday, Sir Alex Ferguson keeps faith with a number of the youngsters who enjoyed the Club's South Africa tour.

The experienced heads of Wes Brown and Paul Scholes have also made the trip, along with first-team fringe members Patrice Evra, Darren Fletcher and Kieran Richardson.

Liam Miller returns to his former club for the first time since leaving in 2004, and is in the shop window with Sir Alex believed to be ready to listen to offers for the Irish midfielder.

Giuseppe Rossi looks set to start as he is the only recognised striker in the squad, while David Jones and Chris Eagles will be given another chance to shine following Sir Alex's announcement that they will be part of his first-team squad this season.

Tonight's match is live on Channel 5, and kicks-off at 19:45.

United squad: Foster, Steele, Bardsley, J Evans, Brown, Evra, Miller, D Jones, Martin, Rossi, Richardson, Scholes, Fletcher, Eagles, Gibson, Simpson, McShane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lord Stadler:

we played djimi

case closed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I raise you Kieron Richardson.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I've actually had a few dreams where I'm playing for United at OT :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In these dreams, is there also a blonde girl in the team? because i find it hard to believe you've ever had a dream without her in it.

In fact, does the ball hit her on the nose? That might explain it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Hah icon_biggrin.gif

Apparently Nick and Mart are stuck wth a bunch of Wigan fans, Mart is bladdered already and is embarrassing them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last 4 words hardly neccessary?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Mark, there'll probably some of my midweek tickets available as well...if you're interested.

Celtic won't be one of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers James, but i couldn't just take them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

So...deadline day...fun and games eh?

I've not been on for a few days, anyone feel like summing up pgs 171-179?

I'm guessing its gone something like:

Rossi out on loan to Newcastle icon13.gif

Who are we going to get in? We've only got 4 strikers ffs! icon_mad.gif

...*tumbleweed* we've not signed anyone... icon_frown.gif

Liam Miller apparently out and about looking for a suitor icon14.gif

Tevez & Mascherano going to West Ham!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif DIE SEASON DIE!!! ad infinitum

...*silence - world ends*

We still push through a loan deal for Eagles to NEC - nobody cares anymore.

- - - - - -

Or maybe I'm wrong, has everyone reacted in a reasonable fashion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif pretty much spot on tbh.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

Ronaldo is finally reaching his full potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being in relatively good form and "reaching his full potential" are not the same thing. The guy is barely into his 20s for goodness sake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well ive never seen him play as well as he has done this season, he is too good for most defenders. To say he is in "relatively good form" is very harsh or foolish?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not harsh or foolish in the slightest. He's been a more consistent threat recently and therefore relative to the more inconsistent performances that he has had a tendency to put in prior to this spell he is in good form - something all Reds should be able to get behind.

Your position, which I disagree with, seems to be that he is "reaching his full potential" as if that is something that will be realised in the immediate/short term solely on the basis that he has been a more prominent attacking threat for us recently. And with all due respect that perception is based mostly on the last two domestic games in which he saved us from defeat against Reading and was a constant thorn in Newcastle's side. Though he's not performed badly overall he's not been our most influential player in the majority of the other matches this season (IMO).

To say that at 21 the boy is "reaching his full potential" is folly because he is in a perpetual phase of development. A player reaching his potential means that they are at or nearly at their peak, performing consistently to the highest level their individual capabilities will allow and the vast majority of the time choosing the action that has the most positive effect on the performance of the team as well as themselves - whether that is choosing to play a simple ball, beating a man, or crossing rather than shooting.

At the end of the day can it be said that he's getting better? Yes. Reaching his full potential? Nowhere near.

The fact is that he has shown that he has the capacity to improve over time, and on that basis if his development stalled to the point that he only managed to improve his level of performance a couple of notches by the time he hits his mid-20s and stays at that level until he hits 30-odd and then suffered a decline, I'd be very surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Just Bedford and both junctions 13 and 14.

If I can get a ticket for the Wigan game, though. I could always make the effort and drive up via Buckingham.

Buckingham ? You posh twat. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's nowhere near as posh at it sounds icon_frown.gif

I'll see nearer the time anyway. Slight chance my dad might emerge from under my mother's thumb and come up to the game too (if i can get a spare), so there are a few options.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, the old 'you should shut up and be grateful for what you have, it was worse in the old days' line :*)

we're all happy to have qualified, we're all impressed with the performance after we went a goal down but the performance before the goal was dire, we've seen it before with that formation and we should be able to point that out.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Glazers setting aside £25m to pay for next Old Trafford 'superstar'

Exclusive: Oliver Kay

Manchester United will restrict Sir Alex Ferguson’s annual transfer expenditure to £25 million except for a one-off “superstar†purchase who meets the Glazer family’s desire for an icon to play alongside Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, according to documents seen by The Times.

In two 60-page presentations outlining their business plan for the refinancing of the club earlier this year, the Glazers made clear that United’s annual transfer kitty will remain £25 million, despite their belief that operating profits will increase to more than £100 million by 2011. The only exception relates to an extra £25 million set aside for a “superstarâ€, seemingly a headline act who would raise the club’s profile off the pitch as well as on it.

Last year, The Times disclosed details of the Glazers’ original business plan, including controversial ticket-price rises. The new documents reveal the latest debt figure as £656 million, which is forecast to reach £733 million by 2012, and that the total costs of the takeover were £831 million, including bank and legal fees of £41 million. Annual interest payments have risen from £20 million to £40 million as a result of the refinancing.

The documents also reveal the Glazers’ belief that no other English club comes close to United’s commercial prowess and that “Chelsea’s lack of brand appeal and limited fan-base beyond the UK make it a less compelling commercial partnerâ€.

They say that tickets at Old Trafford, which were subject to a minimum 12.5 per cent price rise this season, remain “undervalued†and will increase by a further 36 per cent by the start of the 2012-2013 campaign.

Television contracts will continue to soar, increasing the club’s annual media revenue from £46 million to £78 million by 2012. It is also revealed that players’ salaries will soar as a result of new television deals, with the squad’s wage bill (including bonuses) increasing from £53.2 million last season to £78.1 million by 2012. Increased sponsorship prospects will see the club’s annual commercial revenue rise from £56 million to £78 million by 2012 while the documents also recommend that the team should travel “to all corners of the globe†on pre-season and end-of-season tours to exploit the club’s brand.

Red Football, the Glazers’ investment vehicle, receives £1.6 million a year from United. The report makes no mention of the long-rumoured plan to sell and lease back Old Trafford or to break away the club’s rivals by pursuing separate broadcasting deals. Indeed, the Glazers describe the central distribution of broadcasting rights as “essentialâ€.

The Glazers, whose initial plans for the club were described as “aggressive†by David Gill, the chief executive, regard their latest plan as “conservativeâ€, but in many areas they speculate boldly. Predictions of playing performance are relatively cautious — a third-placed finish in the Barclays Premiership and progress to the last 16 of the Champions League each year — but their projected commercial and broadcasting revenues rely heavily on the latest football boom being sustained.

One area where have yet to speculate is in the transfer market. While Chelsea spend on average £75 million a year, the Glazers believe “£25 million of annual net player spend is sufficient to support forecast growth over the next five years†although an incremental £25 million capital spend bucket is available to the club.

A spokesman for the Glazers declined to respond to The Times revelations last night beyond saying that, “if the manager feels the right player is available, then Manchester United, as the world’s richest club, will seek to secure him.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

lose the cup game easily. wont be happy if we do but given the position were in now a season of finishing second and winning the fa cup is not a good one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. Depending on how far behind Chelsea we were and what we did in Europe, that situation could be deemed a good season. Obviously it wouldn't FEEL good knowing we had a lead and threw it away, but as James pointed out in another thread, the fixture list so far puts us in a better position than we probably are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at the start of the seasons id definitely have took it. in all honesty i didnt have us getting close to chelsea yet alone leading at the halfway stage.

false position or not based on the respective games played, i cant see how the fa cup and another second would be considered a successful season now. have no interest in the fa cup anyway unless its alongside another trophy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> £1.2 m to keep Larsson

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

from sportinglife

'Manchester United must reportedly pay another £1.2million to keep Henrik Larsson for the rest of the season.

The former Celtic and Barcelona ace joined United on January 1 in a loan deal until March 12 from Swedish club Helsingborgs.

And he promptly endeared himself to the Old Trafford faithful by playing a starring role in Sunday's FA Cup third-round win over Aston Villa.

Larsson netted in that victory to cap a fine display, and now there are reports that his loan deal could be extended to the end of the season.

But The Sun claims that would cost United another £1.2million, with Helsingborgs looking for hefty compensation.

Their chairman Sten-Inge Fredin said: "The exact sum a deal like this will cost United depends on a lot of circumstances. For example, we would have to decide if we need to replace him in our own team.

"It is, first and foremost, up to Henrik if he will stay in Manchester. If he wants that, then we are certainly up for discussions with United." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worth it?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

but the kind of mental "sluggishness" was not going to be helped by leaving him out the side

at all

imo

ok </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And i'm yet to see how playing him will help. Yes he scored twice yesterday but that hasnt proven he has played through anything.

As has been said he netted a hat-trick against Bolton and scored twice against Sheff Utd but he didnt carry on from those games he just went back to putting in poor performances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure he does know that, but so frankly he can say that he wants. I've read the whole interview in World Soccer and it's all fair comment.

He's not saying it was all his fault, he's saying that Fergie was an idiot to not play him in Cardiff (which he was), and that he reacted badl (which is fair enough) and then it was both their fault that they never patched it up, which is also pretty true.

Fergie is still more at fault to me than Ruud to me, but that's that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

can anybody explain to me why we're continuing to play Larsson?

He's been fracking woeful for us more often than not. Goes missing for large chunks of the game and looks off the pace whenever he is involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take your pick from Saha's poor form and attitude/Ole not being able to play regularly/Alan Smith not being anywhere near 1st match fit in form or condition/Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo not being strikers/ or his form being nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

Its a combination of the last one and the first one btw.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tuesday May 8th is rumoured atm for that game because quite frankly Chelsea have no other date to play it, given the FA refuse to extend the season beyond the 13th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that mean you're also playing on the Thursday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thurs 10th May is earmarked for Spurs H, which is scheduled for April 7th, but Spurs are in Seville on April 5th and are allowed to ask for a 24 hour delay to that game. We're unlikely to accept because we're in Valencia on Tues 10th April, so the next available date is then, apparently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems far more sensible to play sun - tue - sun that week by accepting spurs request than to play sat - tue - thu - sun in the final week, surely?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I love how a third of the stadium will be filled with people who couldn't give a **** either way about the result & those who are there just for the day out.

Maybe if they actually charged those people for tickets they could reduce the prices slightly for those fans wh oactually want to be there to watch their team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There will be some of the Club Wembley seat that have had people pay upwards of £5k for the privilege to go to Wembley for 10 years, so that's closer to 28%

tbh the amount of 'football family' is ridiculously high. That is something that needs to be looked at, and save it for the community shield, when it is actually relevant. Don't mind the individual County FA's getting a couple of tickets each as in 90000 that's hardly going to reduce the capacity much. Do that, increase the clubs share to 30,000 each, knock £10/15 off the top 3 price ranges and bobs your uncle.

Give me the FA job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The biggest travesty is that unless things have changed since i last checked, a large proportion of those 'football family' tickets will end up in the hands of real fans of the two clubs anyway, just at an even higher price through touts. If the FA accepted that that was the case and they couldn't do anything about it, they could be realistic and just give them to the clubs anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Mourinho's not admitted it because he probably doesn't believe it, whether that's right or wrong it's his opinion and he's not gonna lie just to make some people happy, he'll just take middle ground and give credit where credit's due.

Not sure why you're particularly bothering yourselves with what he thinks or says mind, you're champions ffs.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under (for the first time in years it won't be ronaldo vs rooney) and is for players who have been at the club this season (i.e. no loanees, sorry Taz).

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

right, that's it. go vote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO lazy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived