The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Ok then, what midfielders are United class? Ballack? oh yeah he's gone to Chelsea. Makalele? same. Kaka? will not come to us. Ronaldinho? yes great chance of getting him. Mascherano? Yes, but we don't seem to be in the running anymore. Diarra? Great lets spend £30m on one player.

Times have changed, no longer are we going to be able to go out and sign World Class players, whether that be because of the Glazer debt, Mr. Abramovich, or that we're not exactly going to be pushing for titles in England and Europe anytime soon.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Apparently City and Utd fans have covered Ronaldo's house in England flags icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh give me a break icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

Ducked?

FOR ****S SAKE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Docked.

Keep your knickers on ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I'm confused. You link to a page which just takes you to the home page and thats proof?

What am I missing icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a placeholder the website exists, just at the moment it redirects to their homepage. It means they are ready to put up an already prepared article when the time is right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ruud's performances over the two legs against Real Madrid were in the same league as Keane against Juventus for me.

*waits to be hammered* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but we didnt win? am i missing something here?

kind of defies the point of comparing one of the greatest individual performances from one of our players in the last 10 years to an individual performance in which the individual didn't lead the team to victory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Irrelevant to me, I'm not saying it was just as good or better, but pretty damn close. In the same league but a lower place, ie second on goal difference icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't quite go that far. Keane's performance was out of this world, the sort you get once in a blue moon. Ruud was very very good but there's no real comparison there.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I was utterly enraged at the easeh chanting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean you were restrained

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Oh, and I hope we don't have to put up with the booing Ronaldo 'thing' all season, its getting rather annoying (and unjust).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it makes Ronaldo more eager to prove himself then I will have them boo him all season.

A bit of the Times write up of the match:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

With Michael Carrick making an earlier than expected return after injury and Cristiano Ronaldo thriving on the predictable and wearisome jeers around The Valley, United fans sang lustily in the southeast London rain. They particularly loved cheering Ronaldo’s name as the Portuguese peacock responded to the boos with a performance of classy defiance.

Like his team, he was full of attacking intent and, while it would be overstating things to say that he has abandoned the flicks and tricks, there seemed to be more directness. Perhaps the change in style has been inspired by a desire to prove himself in England, post-Gelsenkirchen. It would be ironic if the incident that was supposed to finish him in the Premiership was, instead, the making of him as a consistent world-class attacker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Ali's a toff, btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a what now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

A toff ! A gent and a scholar. Nothing bad, I assure you. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the fact that I didn't know what it meant probably means i'm not, you know... icon_biggrin.gif

Newcastle have agreed terms with United to take Giuseppe Rossi on loan until 1 January 2007.

The Italian striker will link up with the Magpies immediately and, according to Sir Alex Ferguson, will gain some invaluable first team experience.

"It was a big decision for us especially as we don't have the choice of strikers," admitted the United boss.

"But this is something that Giuseppe wanted as he needs regular first team football.

"When he returns he will be a more experienced player who will be able to offer us much more."

Rossi joined United in July 2004 from Serie A side Parma. After impressing for the Reserves in his first few months at Old Trafford, he earned a well deserved call-up to the senior team.

His first team debut came in the Carling Cup victory over Crystal Palace in November 2004. He has since made a further 11 appearances, bagging four goals in the process.

WHAT **** OFF FERGIE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Depends how you define 'we' though doesn't it? I'd like to think 'we' in terms of everyone on here knows the score, but 'we' in terms of the United fanbase as a whole is a completely different matter.

Any contribution the fans make towards the Glazers ****ing off will be minimal but that's no reason to bury heads in the sand and refuse to accept just how much damage the Glazers are doing to the club. The gimps think they've been accepted ffs - they need to know they haven't been, even if the net result is only a few more million quid in the transfer kitty or (arf) a bit more honesty with regards to our financial situation. As much pressure needs to be put on them as possible, or we're going to go on for the forseeable future with the Glazers believing achieving the bare minimum is a fantastic success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, what will the knowledge do? Just exactly how will knowing what they're doing/will do overthrow them?

Look at how many people here renewed/bought season tickets and others who go frequently. Just based on that alone (even if they do know and the jury is DEFINATELY out on Martin icon_biggrin.gif ) they're still paying. So get set for years of financial instability and lies. We're all contributing to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course we are, but meek acceptance of that leads to bigger ticket rises, the fans being shafted more and more and even if ultimately presenting some kind of resistance is largely futile, it a) makes me feel a whole lot better, and b) even the smallest victory is a valuable one.

Case in point (kind of icon_biggrin.gif): I've just been on the phone to the ticket office to get a ticket for the Celtic game. Premium rate number of course, and I'm kept on hold for 8 minutes before being cut off and having to ring again. It's no secret that this is an increasingly common occurence, largely due to the staffing cuts imposed by the Glazers. More and more things like this will happen if no kind of resistance is met.

Probably all ultimately comes down to me individually (and I sense most other reds I know personally) feeling that you have to do something. Meekly accepting this **** and shrugging shoulders simply isn't an option personally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just seen the highlights of the Newcastle game, obviously not enough to comment in great detail, but how the feck did Ole get credited with the second goal? I love him, but it was blatantly Vidic's ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and a fletch :***) for good luck, too.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

The copenhagen debt rests with you jonny not Mart.

If you are dumb enough to give him money to pas on its your own fault.

Mart that will be £30 you owe me next week with out fail then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Season ticket was in Martin's possession. Therefore the money went to him. He hasn't spent it anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

Was wondering if we could knock the 'i' off Rossi and claim him as English lads? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's already snubbed America so probably not icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's still hope(I'll be staying this up until the moment he walks out to play for the full Italian squad)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stuff wot's in de papers an' ting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United have rejected 'wonderkid' Freddy Adu after the American teenager spent a week on trial at Old Trafford. (Daily Mirror)

Bayern Munich's England international midfielder Owen Hargreaves will not play again this season after suffering a setback in his rehabilitation from a broken leg. (Various) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Chelsea won't be selling Richards next summer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not, they have quite a good track record of ditching players after just a year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

a hobby will be easier for him to get unless he goes sharking at the local RNIB college </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Oh no he didn't!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As long as it goes back into the club like you say, wasn't trying to **** stir.

MADRID, Jan 4, 2007 (AFP) - Spanish giants Real Madrid have made

a bid for on-fire Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, a

Spanish newspaper reported here Thursday.

Real, without silverware for four years, have bid 40 million

euros for the 21-year-old Portugual international in an effort to

sign him in the January transfer window, the Madrid-based ABC daily

said.

But the English Premiership leaders have no intention of letting

go of the in-form Ronaldo, who scored three consecutive doubles for

his club over the holiday period, and have slapped a price tag of 70

million euros on him, ABC said.

It was not possible to confirm the report at Real Madrid.

• 3 weeks later...

Some certain people can't use punctuation so their views don't matter icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some things are much more important than punctuation, ffs.

Priorities, Mika. Priorities. icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The last word on Sky after the match today was comparing Rooney and Cantona and saying how instumental Rooney has been in our last two wins. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sorry but saying he has the potential to be as good as Cantona was for us is one thing but to compare them now is just a joke and i wish people would stop doing it because its ******** and thats plain and simple and to it when Rooney has had such a poor season.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Doesnt Platini have a reputation for not liking the English? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't everyone who isn't english hate the english?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

they'll all be swipe cards as of next season.

no direct debit for cup games just credit and debit cards.

you screw up one payment they send a letter, you screw up 2 they have the right to take your ST from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

best get your bank card sorted then hadn't you as i aint paying for yours next season as i in theory can drop out of the auto cup scheme as it was never compulsory for me

• 1 month later...

in a three-way tie for third place are three terrifically dire away showings:

West Ham 1 United 0

Southend 1 United 0

Portsmouth 2 United 1

just ahead of those in second comes the massively disappointing cup final defeat - Chelsea 1 United 0

we do have a fairly comprehensive winner - all mitigating circumstances considered, the 3-0 defeat in Milan showed that we still had a lot to learn in Europe.

Archived