The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Who knows what he means these days :/

As for Jimlad, I could respond with basically the same as what Scatter said a page or so ago, but then we'd just get into a circle of 'yeah but he's better than what we've got', until I just admit that I'd rather we bought Joey ****ing Barton and made him captain for all eternity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first bit made me chuckle...

As for your other points about Vieira, I'll take them on board, they're fair enough concerns (from you and Scat).

I'd still sooner take a player like Vieira over a younger less talented player just because this hypothetical player has more juice left in the tank.

I think he let the Keane thing run on a year. Someone should have been in there pushing him for a spot for the last season perhaps two. Easier said than done but he knew the time was coming. He did buy Djemba Djemba though -/

Anyway, you still have a good midfield that works well together. I am sure the season will not be anywhere near as bad as you think. Same midfield last season and you finished 2nd ! No one is pushing Chelsea for another 2+ seasons so 2nd is not bad and taking Chelsea out of the equation it was championship winning points !

Stop your moaning icon_wink.gif Might a rough time in Europe though icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Don't know if this is right but didn't initial press reports say Chelsea gave Duff permission to speak to Liverpool as well as Spurs/Newcastle?

Now, IF this is true (and it may well not be), then you would expect that Man Utd would also be allowed to speak to him...

Or maybe not, Chelsea probably see you as more of a global fanbase/financial threat than Liverpool, so suppose they could have rejected your bid

Despite your lack of signings so far I still think you'll finish second again this season (bar Liverpool buying a top striker). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd consider this coming season a success if we qualify for the Champions League.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

He chose someone else? hence your astoundment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont know mate, im not a bummer. still £6.7million, benitez is paying a bit much for a rent boy don't you think?

Has anyone got a manchester united squad list for the amsterdam tournament?

I presume united will be taking it quite seriously. I can see a 3-1 win however im having to bet on the game tommorw so i doubt ill be able to find a team sheet.

Any help is appreated.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys do you think the media arent given us the praise we deserve? Skysports is tipping us to finish fourth thisseason......I mean FOURTH! thats bull! Liverpoo are tipped second? the liverpudlians are always going on about "Weve made progress weve closed the gap" But who could BEAT chelsea in a league game in top clashes who was closer to chelsea and had greatly improved from two seasons ago? I hope liverpoo crash and burn this season with the likes of rejects like Jermaine Pennant, weve been building a quality team and i think we will win a competion and the lowest we will get is 3rd but im sure we will finish second. Plus Owen hargreaves signature is looking bleak for united.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty2k:

whereabouts in leamington? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whitnash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah ok, i'm down in harbury when i'm in the country. you ever get accross to see the brakes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Hmm okay. Just a little wondering, no real reason for asking icon_biggrin.gif

I'm row 10 on Saturday anyway. Better be a fb view. I think it will be. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When there's a quiet moment in the game, I might stand up and shout "THERE'S BEEN A RAPE UP THERE"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

That's because it wasn't icon_biggrin.gif

There was a change to the lineup above, Cathcart came in for Jonah. Got there after KO, took me a while to realise.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be because he's starting on sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

FAO NickOGS20, I know you're waiting for me in the pub, HOW DO YOU LIKE IT :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was quite happy listening to my iPod and playing pool, ta :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that seriously the go nowadays, you take your Ipod to the pub with you and listen to it?

If so, then I must be getting old.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

but yeah lets not settle for a draw.. it's never a good way to play </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I don't want the team to play for a draw yeah, but I'd snatch your hand off for a draw if offered one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm I dont know. whilst on the face of it, a draw is a good result.. maintaining out 3 pt lead etc.

We do have a lot of difficult games to come.. and we should be aiming to increase our lead over them at every opportunity.. the best opportunity is beating them ourselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'd love to know just how many away tickets the one season ST holders have had.

we've applied for every game and only got Blackburn and iirc James' parents are in the loyalty pot and were chubbed for Villa.

utter shambles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in the LP, we have had at least 3 for every away, apart from Copenhagen (didn't apply) and Celtic.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

villa park tomorrow. whats the best way to the ground from birmingham new street/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we got another train last year to a station right near the ground. began with 'w', something like witton i think. i assume that's what we'll do tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously though, you're saying how he's a brilliant player etc, yeah that's great, but he's not playing brilliantly atm and hasn't for the majority of the season. I don't see why dropping him for a bit is so out of bounds, especially now we have options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Just a quick point on the Rio/Radzinski incident. It clearly wasn't a red, as the ref's directive is a push to the chest is a yellow, and one to the face is a red. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it was to the face? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch it again, his hands contact the shoulders and neck, but not the face.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

My cousin says you will regreat getting only a point from west ham,newcastle & arsenal away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well if your cousin says so it must be true. icon14.gif

in all honesty he/she could be right, but who knows, chelsea might end up regretting getting one point from middlesbrough away, spurs away and fulham at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For someone with such a large knowledge of world football, you seem to have missed an awful lot of our performances in europe over the last few years. Our home performances have been patchy at best, our away ones almost uniformly awful. And the worst parts about that have been that a) they've continued this season despite the league resurgance, and b) they've seem to have been as much down to the way the team has been asked to play as it being any fault of the players, which makes it harder to imagine things changing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not missed that, I've simply weighed them up against your potential opponents. For me, the Roma tie will pan out very similar to the Lille tie, cagey away leg with United coming out on top, and then you dealing with them at home. They're not massive scorers, only Totti has double figures and he takes pens too. So I can see you gettin that done. Then it's Milan or Bayern. Milan are there for the taking, they struggled to break down a defensive and not THAT good Celtic side, average even less goals than Roma, and are worse than the side who struggled past you a coupla years ago. Bayern, as I said, are a different matter because I can't predict them. They can attack with the best and leak just as much.

I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with my assessment of your European aspirations but then I doubt I'm gonna get a full agreement in here ever, especially in a time of extreme and generally unwarranted pessimism.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United captain Gary Neville (ankle) is expected to remain on the sidelines for another three weeks.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (knee) and Edwin van der Sar (calf) should return while Darren Fletcher (ankle) is still two weeks away from fitness.

Blackburn's David Bentley is suspended after his red card at West Ham.

Aaron Mokoena is available following his one-game ban and Ryan Nelsen is set to return after missing the Hammers game with a hamstring injury.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, Heinze, Evra, Park, Ronaldo, O'Shea, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Richardson, Eagles, Rooney, Smith, Dong, Solskjaer.

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Emerton, Henchoz, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Berner, Mokoena, Tugay, Dunn, Pedersen, McCarthy, Roberts, Nonda, Brown, Derbyshire, Gallagher.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm glad Bentley is suspended, good player.

supposedly Rovers have only sold 1,800 tickets, worst support in the league imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm.. double edged sword. It's ridiculous they're selling them for that much, but it's going towards my village football club.

Obviously, I'd rather they were in our allocation and think it's ridiculous a small village club in Buckinghamshire has got tickets for an FA Cup Final when the top two clubs in the country are playing, but meh icon_frown.gif

Franny mate, your club's demise has gone to your head icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Silvestre, PLEASE.

Note that this does not mean I want him to die, folks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much do hospitals pay for cadavars these days?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I love how Taz seems to get more enjoyment out of ranting at the BBC and the rest of the media than he gets out of us actually winning the title.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow its like you're inside my mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scary isn't it icon_frown.gif

Just pointing out the fact that you (and some others) seem to have adopted a siege mentality with regards the media.

• 4 weeks later...

Park's a dicent reserve player for us. He runs his arse off chasing for the ball and has played well when asked of this season. He's a good player that may need time, but as a first teamer - I dont think i'd start him ahead of our other front line now, but it's nice to know he's there if it all goes lils up.

not to tier 2 afaik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. I used it. Blades game.

icon14.gif

I have to admit I knew feck all about it before then. icon_frown.gif

Archived