The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why let both Howard and Foster out on loan if it means we have to spend up to £4m on a new back up keeper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ. Both Howard and Foster desperately need first team action at this stage in their careers if they are to make it with us or indeed at all. We let them go out on loan, get in another keeper with experience who won't mind benchwarming for VDS for a season. By all means moan if it's £4m, but I don't think it will be.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

£10.2m for Ruud.

Didn't SAF say they rejected £10.3 for him. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SAF is indeed a wily old fox.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

i doubt we'll get Senna for less than £6m. The majority of Carrick's add on fees are for appearances and caps, which barring injuries or him doing horribly he should reach, so i think you can count that as a minimum of £16m. So maybe just Mascherano, but with Scholes back anyway, i'd rather take Mascherano on his own than Senna and Carrick.

I've not seen a lot of Senna, so i'm happy to be proved wrong and willing to listen if people say he's great, but given what i saw at the world cup, in the CL last season, and given the fee and how far down the pecking order of our target DM's he seems to be, i'm not expecting him to pull up any trees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the first paragraph that now the sentiment has changed to Mascherano > Carrick + Senna, but I still don't believe the circumstances were there this summer.

As for Senna, if it is him that we sign, I agree that he probably won't turn out to be a revelation, but I don't think that he's a player who will let us down in terms of performance. Yes ideally we'd be prising the likes of Diarra, Gattuso or Mascherano away from their respective clubs but given the way the market has played out I think Senna is a good enough option so that we don't have to be overly concerned about the whole "settling for less" issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we're suddenly ready to settle now for a mid range player in roughly the £5m bracket to play that role, why haven't we bought someone like that in before? I could see the logic in waiting for the absolute right man, but now it looks like we've wasted the last few years with pretty much no-one there. Why didn't we get someone like Scott Parker, who went for ~£6m two years ago?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BAGGIES REJECT KUSZCZAK OFFER

Posted 03/08/06 20:48

EmailPrintSave

West Brom have rejected a £2.5million bid from Manchester United for goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

And the club will not consider selling the Polish international to the Red Devils unless they make what they deem an acceptable offer.

The Baggies have stated all summer their objective is to strengthen the first-team squad for the new season - not dismantle it.

Albion chairman Jeremy Peace said "At this moment in time, selling Tomasz to United is not a viable option.

"It would severely weaken our squad at a time when we are trying to strengthen it for a promotion push.

"We have had numerous talks with United and have told them any deal would have to include their highly-rated young striker, Giuseppe Rossi, joining us on loan for the season.

"Although this would weaken us temporarily until we signed another keeper to compete with Pascal Zuberbuhler, it would increase our attacking options - an area we're actively looking to strengthen.

"However, United have told us Rossi will not be going out on loan this season.

"It means if we sold Tomasz to United, without Rossi coming in return, it would potentially cause us more problems without solving any - despite the receipt of cash."

Peace admitted: "This will come as a disappointment to Tomasz who has indicated to us he would like to join United.

"But it is the board's job to do what is best for this football club and we will not sell Tomasz unless the deal suits us.

"Because of the way this football club is structured, we are under no pressure to sell anyone. Tomasz will only be sold if it is in our interests to do so." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

tbf if we get an offer in the range of 30-35 milion pounds for ronaldo

i think we should take it he has no future at MANCHESTER UNITED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>thx.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

so, if you remove Park and add Mikel we've spent bugger all.

Certainly not the £25m a season that was rumoured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well adding the money for Senna and a striker, it will probably be £25m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i blame jonny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where we were sat there were no good looking girls/women. It's just not on. If the atmosphere/match is crap I at least want something so stare at for most of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I can't believe we just turned them over SO easily. SO proud </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this game and Liverpool.. seemed so tricky beforehand :**)

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I can see what Taz means though about the not one to count on thing, I think he's trying to say that if we're not playing well and we're being a bit battered, Carrick isn't going to take the game by the scruff of the neck, winning tackles and being a big influence defensively, or to the side as a whole.

Depends what you want from him, if it's another Keane or another Scholes then you're going to be disappointed either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. He's done OK so far, but he's by no way convinced me yet. He's more of a help in an attacking sense than a defensive one, but even while we've been doing well going forward he's not put in one stand out performance for me.

He's neat and tidy, he's got good positioning, and he plays the odd killer pass, but he's not really got an oustanding part to his game, and for a central midfielder he's just too anonymous for large portions of some games.

This isn't to say he's awful, he's good. He's just going to have to go up a level to convince me he's worthy of a first XI spot long term. I still think the balance doesn't yet convince me for the tougher games ahead, when we're going to Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates.

As Scatter said, obviously he's contributed to the improvement, as we keep the ball better. But by his argument, there aren't many midfielders in europe who wouldn't have improved us to some degree, as they would have replaced John O'Shea. Hardly a ringing endorsment, is it?

As for the fee, firstly it will be somewhere between the £14m and £18m, as i'm sure a decent proportion of the add ons will be based on appearances and caps. It certainly won't all be based on trophies. Secondly, we know it's not his fault we paid so much for him. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the fee, as it's perfectly relevant to the discussion to discuss whether he's worth what we paid, both purely on ability and in terms of what the team required. If he's not, it's a criticism of Fergie, not the player.

All i can say so far is that he's doing OK, he's still got plenty of time on his side to make the step up he'll need to. But if we bought Hargreaves in January and everyone was fit, i know which two out of Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes i'd want to play together in my first team for the big games.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jorge Mendes said that during the height of Ronaldo's unpopularity among English fans after the World Cup he contacted the Catalan giants to discuss a move.

"I offered the player to Barca, but they told me that they were going to sign Thierry Henry and so rejected a possible deal," Mendes is quoted in El Mundo Deportivo.

Henry decided to stay at Arsenal and there has been a recent clamour in the Catalan press for the Spanish champions to sign Sir Alex Ferguson's prize asset.

"Right now Cristiano is happy in English football," Mendes added. "There is no pressure to force his exit.

"He is 21 years old, a Portuguese international and in an extraordinary moment of form.

"At these heights it is practically impossible that the player could sign for Barcelona because Manchester [united] would not give him away for all the gold in the world."

and so it begins.

saha, I still love you, just ben was right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be illegal?

I see a max of 3 years until Ronaldo is left out of the Carling Cup Final and a rift between him and Fergie will appear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You really do hate Carrick Taz. icon_biggrin.gif

I thought Carrick was better than Fletcher today. To be fair to them both though, they couldn't really get on the ball when we have Silvestre and Brown smacking long-balls to no-one. When they got on the ball they used it pretty well.

I thought Ole was shocking. He really has lost a lot of pace. And as I said before, our defence always looks poor when Silvestre and Brown come in. Add this to Tommy in nets and the script is written.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Heinze proving why he should be kept and Silvestre moved on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There isnt a doubt about that but people will actually give us money for Heinze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Holte End 13,500

Trinity Road (main stand ) 13,000

North Stand 7,300

Doug Ellis 9,100 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Common sense would indicate we get the Holte End and the Trinity Road end or at least most of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

haha, throwing in the stepovers just to wind them up even more. love him :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't stop the love but Belgium clearly so crap though.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

haha, didn't realise o'shea scored icon_biggrin.gif

I stormed out when the 2nd went in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're worse than the people who sit next to you at Old Trafford tbh. Watch your team till the end, win, lose or draw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi i sit next to fat boy and i never leave before time ffs.

Speaking of which the cheeky git has enquired with the TO about swapping my seat for his as i have the aisle seat.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If we win at Everton we win the league. I am confident on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have us winning the league without beating Everton and Chelsea. Can see them slipping up at the Emirates tbh, maybe not a defeat but a potential draw for them. Have the relegation battle interesting, 5 clubs separated by 3 points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, it is possible.

Just that if we win there i am sure we get the title (City can't score at home and West Ham last game, even if they chase the relegation battle will lose). Now if we lose there it's gonna be a situation where everything can happen.

• 1 month later...

Archived