The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i'd take hargreaves at arsenal like that tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good. please call arsene and make it happens for me. thx.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Gill just on SSN, giving absolutely nothing away on any signings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say he's doing that because Bayern have threatened to report us. So its really no suprise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

I thought Watford battled pretty well - always looked like they would come up short but have looked decent on all 3 games so far this season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you mean relegation candidates then? Good on effort poor in overall quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's generally the way with the promoted sides. Lots of endeavour and no results. I thought they would be more like a Sunderland - sink like a stone, i still think they're going down but can maybe pick up more results than i first expected. Sheff Utd, Liverpool game aside look like bottom of the table to me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

To be fair to Fergie though, he really has little involvement in signing players anymore. Do you think he's not annoyed that Gill screws it up time and again?

He knows he's sprouting crap, but what do you want him to say?

The days when he could just march up to Edwards and demand a certain player be signed are long gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that's true, it's Fergie who indentifies the targets. He must have sanctioned putting Senna on hold to try to get Hargreaves, and he must have known that there was no guarantee of getting him. Indeed, i don't see what Gill could have done to get Bayern to release a player they want to hang on to? I don't buy this guff that it was AIG that scuppered the Senna move, i think it's quite simply that we thought we had a sniff of Hargreaves, and he was the preferred option.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by manu legend:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by manu legend:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

who are man u fella? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that question aimed at me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manchester United- meant to right man utd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye and I meant to right DDD icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha ur funny bbb- i gotta give u that

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, unfinished post...meant to say that any major financial problems could be at a point where its definitely going to be post-Fergie anyway.

The point is I trust Fergie not to let the club go completely to the dogs while the playing side buck stops at his desk.

hahaha, Ronaldo so arrogant

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cristiano Ronaldo has vowed to become the best player in the world after claiming he has already surpassed Manchester United legend Eric Cantona.

Ronaldo is the latest in a long line of talented No 7s at Old Trafford.

George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona and David Beckham have all worn the shirt with distinction down the years.

Ronaldo is in no doubt he belongs in such illustrious company, and believes he can even top the list.

"My dream is to win the Ballon d'Or and I am working to be the best player in the world," Ronaldo told the News of the World.

"Since I was a kid I have been trying to become the best winger in the world and now I want to go a step farther.

"There is still some way to go but the challenge is there and I am trying. I hope the moment arrives soon.

"After me the best No 7 that I have seen was Eric Cantona. But I am still only 21 and I want to surpass everything I have achieved so far."

Ronaldo also rounded on his critics, branding them jealous after they sharpened their knives following the controversial penalty incident at Middlesbrough.

"The incident against Boro has caused many comments, but it was a valid penalty. I do not dive," added Ronaldo.

"Nor do I search for controversy. But I am a person accustomed to the critics and they are not a problem for me.

"Perhaps the critics are jealous. I do not think I have to change. I am the same person that arrived in England hungry for success."

Meanwhile, United target Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has revealed he dreams of becoming the next Ruud van Nistelrooy.

"I know certain English clubs are following me like Manchester United and Newcastle. They are both very interested in me," said Huntelaar.

"I love clubs with great history like Ajax. I also love United. It's a club that makes me dream, especially since Ruud van Nistelrooy has played there and did great things for them.

"It could be a source of inspiration as to how I continue my career. I follow the careers of van Nistelrooy and Dirk Kuyt, who play for massive foreign clubs, and they're role models for a young player like me." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loving Jose's interviews these days, with every one he seems to be getting nearer and nearer to doing a Keegan. We may not win ultimately win the league, but just having him so riled that he feels the need to keep coming out with these increasingly desperate 'defiant' messages in our direction is so so sweet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

fwiw i wouldnt be adversed to signing bale then loaning him out for the next 1 or 2 seasons after the end of this season. Seems to be a great talent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not seen him do anything but hit great free-kicks with his left peg, does he have much else in his locker to warrant such praise? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well being able to beat the wall AND hit the target makes him better than a certain set piece taker we currently have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you that.

Also Bardsley confirmed to Sunderland on loan but Evans is 50/50 on SSN.com

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, a fair bit. made his reserve debut aged 16 last season and looked instantly at home, very promising. only areas he's lacking in are typical of young defenders and will come with experience hopefully.

we seem to have a bit of a quality centre-half production line going atm. could do with a few less of them and a few more wingers/strikers really.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ole set Ronaldo up with a great chance in the second half don't forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but it could well be argued that the situation and position where Ole received the ball, the best option would have been to gain more ground before laying the ball off/shooting. Unfortunately he didn't have it in him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah but like you allude to, if he can't do it, he can't do it. Given the situation he did very well to spot Ronaldo and did the right think, can't really criticise him.

Rot might be harsh but I don't like him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Boss building for the future

Sir Alex Ferguson is looked forward to the next six or seven years at United, just as he is the next 90 minutes of the club's Champions League campaign.

At his pre-match press conference in France, the boss talked about his plans for the future and the building work which is beginning to pay dividends, both domestically and in Europe.

"What we've tried to do is reconstruct a team that we knew was getting older," he said.

"But we didn't build the present team (just) to win the European Cup. The main issue is to be successful in our own country."

The current crop have already won the Carling Cup, in 2006 - and as he did in '96, Sir Alex is trusting fresh talent as he pursues bigger targets this term and beyond.

"It's difficult to say how long players like Giggs and Scholes and Neville can play at the very top - I think that these are great moments for them certainly," said Sir Alex, ever-mindful of the part his long-serving trio are playing this season.

"But the younger players who've developed at the club, that's where the future is certainly - players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, O'Shea and Park.

"They're all good ages. They can stay together and grow as a team for the next six or seven years. That's what we expect and we hope our calculations are right.

"In that six-, seven-year period we have a great chance of winning things. Hopefully the European Cup is one of them." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richardson cruelly omitted there, wp Fergie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i am firmly in the park in ruud sucks [wrong] camp btw, before mika labels me with the rest of the park rubbish brush. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said nothing icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't it nice to see our old players doing well? Liam Miller playing in another Sunderland win today and David Jones scoring two the other day.

Oh, and RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD having socred two in 14mins in the Nou Camp tonight icon_cool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I will concede that the strong African core to our squad will have helped him settle far far better than he would have at OT but at the end of the day I think his talent and potential is so sky high £12m will prove a bargain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that not worry you as well, with the number of players you'll lose to the African cup of nations for a significant time next season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

still wouldnt touch mikel and still beyond happy with our £12m for doing rock all, cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

precisely whs. Mikel's improved from the waste of space he was earlier in the season but i'd still take the £12m now any day of the week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a moot point. I don't see any scenario where he would have played for us regardless, so it's £12m quid or nothing as the alternatives as far as i'm concerned, regardless of whether he becomes worth more than that.

And as an aside, does it bother anyone else as much as it does me when people on here call it a "mute" point? I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well yeah, more commenting on Phil's claims that he's better than Hargreaves, worth more than £12m. we were clearly never going to get him.

and yes, yes it does

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yovan:

I read it icon_frown.gif

The news was that the parents were happy, even yesterday in the other paper of Barcelona (El Mundo Deportivo).

If he signs for another club I would be disappointed because the parents have used Barça. The boy was in the middle of the ****ing war icon_mad.gif don’t want to say something stupid.

Loads of parents, even former footballers, offer theirs boys to Barça because they know the quality of the academy. Barça spend loads of money on their ****ing boys and at the first chance, when there are 16, they ask for a salary.

Barça should break any relationship with Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United, especially United because our academies collaborate regularly.

Even if it was only a movement of his agent, I’m angry tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but can he dance? I don't want a player in my team that can't dance.

icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

erm, dunno really, wouldn't mind sensible non-united fans voting but it's how to separate the wheat from the scouse really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should keep it to United fans really. No offense to aj, there's plenty of non United folk who would vote sensibly but a) even then they won't have seen anything like as much of us, and b) for every sensible vote there'll be more than one set of Polack style "comedy" votes to filter out.

oh and our new left back fabio, scored SEVEN goals in the under 17's copa america.

you can stick your gareth bale icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We signed him then? What happened to that 'seal' player - who could keep the ball on his neck/chest the whole length of the pitch and score?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

oh what, just doing some youtube research, Nani does mad backflip stuff when he scores? this just keeps getting BETTER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yesss. i hope when they score they get in a circle and do a cool dance icon_frown.gif

smirky is right

but I also agree with theis that somehow, amongst a lot of awfulness, Giggs HAS made a difference in a fair few games.

the consistency wasnt there. but every so often he was pulling out a great pass/cross that got us a goal.

its a tough one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived