The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

I am sure there is a load of shennigans going on behind the scenes, you're only really gonna hear about it when it's something materialising so i wouldnt worry about it too much - i dont think ALL those players muted are coming but i am sure someone is.

Out of interest, what would you think if you got Veira ? Is that a no-go for you lot ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want Vieira, but because he's nowhere near the player he was, not because of who he played for.

So I was thinking about Nick doing his "I feel it in my water, we're going to make a signing today boys" bit and I thought rather than diving in everyday for no reason why don't we amuse ourselves by guessing when we'll get confirmation of our first signing?

I'm going to guess that we'll have signed someone by Tuesday July 25th, 2006.

Anyone else want to dive into this mini-sweepstake? Pretty much all thats on offer is bragging rights, and poor ones at that.

Yes I know its a lame idea but I'm clearly very bored...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Takes forever on a bus to Hyde. Have you looked at going from Flowery Field instead (not much further than Hyde and on a different line)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks promising, there's trains at 5 to 10 and 5 to 11. Only concern is the game will finish at half 9 at the earliest, which gives me 25 minutes to find the station. Might give it a go, can always wander back to the bus station if I'm too late. Cheers fella.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

quick question. How many goals did he score at Anfield and CoM/Maine Rd? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an even worse argument..

Forlan >>> Ruud!1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? icon_biggrin.gif

It's a question not an argument you moron icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Like James said, I suspect the guaranteed portion of the Carrick fee will be in installments as well, so that balances itself out ultimately.

Has it been confirmed that the Ruud fee is in installments btw? Suppose we're unlikely to ever find out under private ownership now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what mark is saying is that you can't quote Carrick's price at the 'lower' £13m figure when there's potential add-ons to consider, and then quote Ruud and Mikel's sale fees in full. Or something.

And even if you don't, you can be sure as hell the Glazer's will be spinning it that way when Senna/Mascherano/Burrage's great grandfather fail to materialise.

• 2 weeks later...

Team for today:

1 Edwin van der Sar

26 Phil Bardsley

6 Wes Brown

27 Mikael Silvestre

4 Gabriel Heinze

13 Park Ji-Sung

18 Paul Scholes

22 John O'Shea

11 Ryan Giggs

7 Cristiano Ronaldo

9 Louis Saha

Kuszczak, Rossi and Jones among the substitutes.

O'Shea in midfield /O\

Assuming Ronaldo's going to be upfront, unless we're playing 433/451 with Ronnie and Giggs/Park wide and the other three midfielders as a central trio.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gravesen's left Glasgow without signing...?

A loan for a season might not be so bad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nooooooooooo

Would have been a so-so stopgap two seasons ago. Wouldn't touch him with a bargepole now. This is incredibly predictable of me, but Jones deserves a chance ahead of bringing him in. I'd almost rather Miller got a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

aw, works on GQ icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is an image of the Utd badge in the players forum in the Utd thread there

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

well a 4-4-2 hasn't resulted in us being 0-2 inside fifteen minutes for at least a few weeks so i can understand acou's complaints?

who's to say 0-1-4-2-3-1 wouldn't result in us being 87-1 at halftime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When top of the league and last 16 in Europe still gains criticism then I really don't know what is expected. Maybe a little praise might be a nice balance sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

you don't deserve to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif May I ask why? Just applied, expecting the result to be unsuccessful on thursday though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have you applied for every domestic away game this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Na, applied for quite a few though; Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Villa and Newcastle. Applied for Celtic away in Europe too, only been successful for Wigan and Blackburn. icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Did you get a photo of your view in the stadium BBB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye fella, will upload shortly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/BBBOTF/view.jpg

There you go, Gonch, Park was far far worse than Fletch, FLetch wasn't even that bad tbf.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If anyone thought Fulham was a one off from Wes then he proved them wrong. I'm sorry Wes but we have good defenders coming through so just find yourself another club ta. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

back on top form \O/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

yeh i was joking icon_biggrin.gif

still, he's better than hughes imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank christ icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

Before Manchester United won the treble, was there as much discussion as there is now regarding any team's chances of winning it whenever a team was still in all three competitions in February/March?

I suppose it happened a lot less often because the CL was champions only up until the late 90's but when it did, would the idea of winning the treble be mentioned often by commentators, journalists, and players/management? It gets brought up a lot considering how unlikely it is, even when talking about other teams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dunno about the press etc as I'm obviously not In England but one of my clear memories of those last two months is the bloke at every match (home and away) with the 'now for the treble' banner with pictures of the three trophies and fe-rg-ie across all three.

He obviously thought it was going to happen

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UEFA launch Belgium probe

UEFA have launched an investigation into claims that Belgium plan to deliberately injure Manchester United's Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo during the Euro 2008 qualifier on Saturday.

Stijn Stijnen has moved to clarify comments he made which suggested that Belgium would "massacre" Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Belgians visit Portugal in a Euro qualifier this weekend with both nations on equal points.

Club Brugge goalkeeper Stijnen sparked outrage by claiming the Belgium defence would target the Manchester United winger in the opening period of the match.

He told Gazet van Antwerpen: "After two minutes we will normally have massacred him so much that he will have to leave the pitch on a stretcher.

"What else do we need to do? Portugal have greater quality and that's why we have to do things our way."

In the wake of these comments Portugal's football federation president Gilberto Madail requested UEFA launch an investigation into the matter.

And now Stijnen has moved to quell discontent by claiming he was misinterpreted.

"I don't think my words are shocking," he said. "We're the visiting team and we have to do things our way.

"I didn't mean to say that we have to specifically get Cristiano Ronaldo off the pitch, but we have to play hard against the Portuguese players.

"I'm not saying Belgium have to break anyone's leg, but we have to be aggressive. We have to play with character and not spare our opponents' tibias."

The keeper does not, however, explain the distinction between breaking legs and sparing tibias. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

using the old misquoted excuse. first Boateng and Southgate, now this clown. Keano had the book thrown at him for similar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway Rossi is said to be starting the U21 game tomorrow against England. Kicks off at 12.30pm for anyone interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Rossi!! Will cheer for him all game (even though I'll be wearing an England shirt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my favourite and funniest moments in football was the look on Anelka's face after he found out that his 'goal' in the 99 semi replay had been ruled out for offside. The fact that he'd been celebrating with the Arsenal fans for a good 3 minutes made it fecking hilarious.

If Rossi does go on loan to Juve, especially since Ranieri seems to be keen on him (& would, y'know, play him icon14.gif), I hope someone other than Setanta gets access to Serie A rights, even if its just a dedicated highlights package. It really bugs me that you can only see Italian football via PPV.

Archived