The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the last one Fergie looks as though he's doing stretches. Could be he's looking to replace Keano with himself so that the team have the right attitude on the pitch.

Scholesy not wearing an eye-patch or Davids-esq glasses is a plus though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

We are screwed. However old they are they are still our best midfielders.

Beckham is better than the replacements we have available at the minute.

I am not actively wanting us to sign Beckham, however if Ronaldo goes to Madrid we could do a lot lot worse then Beckham. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but then surely it would be a better idea to bring in younger and abled midfielders rather than bringing back a 31 year old Beckham who isn't that good anymore? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it would, however our current setup seems to think it's better to loan out all our youngsters & have their wages off our bill so we can save money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Basically it was "I'm absolutely gutted and fuming that it has come to this, 150 goals in 219 appearances is going to be a huge void to fill. Given our problems in midfield this is unnecessary and there is nobody to blame other than Fergie.

Or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true

Ruud :***(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

i can only think of blanc. but then im not really thinking hard. sheringham? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheringham was 29 when we got him iirc

Those are the only 2 anyway

So about 5 pages have zoomed by since I last posted (I think) so what follows addresses most of what has gone on since Friday. Since most on here are uncomfortable with length and actual prose this post roughly equates to a side of A4 if you’re trying to work out whether you can be bothered to read it.

---------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

last straw if we sign vieira, honest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he's a fading force in relative terms but he's still a player capable of high calibre performances and even on his worst day he'd be the most competent DM if he were a member of our squad (yes, I know, not so difficult) so I'm not sure why there'd be a major problem with us signing him.

Sure charges will be levelled at him being a stop-gap, but given the general concern at the strength of our midfield in general, getting Vieira in on loan or paying £3-£4mill to get him on a two-year contract isn't something I'd have a problem with.

I think its a fair point that if we can't find/afford to pay premiums for players that will be at the club for a good 6-10 years then we have to look at servicing the immediate gaps with short-term options. Such factors obviously necessitate purchasing players closer to or past 30 years old.

Since we can't challenge Chelsea in monetary terms, and we've still got massive high-pressure interest rates hanging over us (although I expect a refinancing deal will be worked out in the next three months or so), we have to be smarter as far as player recruitment goes than we perhaps have been in the past. Yes players in their early-20s last longer than the over-30s but not every over-30 player suffers from as many recurring or chronic injuries as Roy Keane clearly did. Therefore if their fitness is relatively sound these players have to be considered.

We also have to step up our game as far as scouting goes. Yes, we've picked up what look to be a couple of gems in Pique and Rossi recently and some of our domestically produced youngsters are showing good promise, but Arsenal, Spurs and even now Liverpool appear to be utilizing their scouting systems more effectively now than we are, and that to me suggests that Fergie isn't paying as much attention to the big picture as he needs to be, or at least isn't making sure that the clubs scouting system is directed properly.

As far as getting something out of the Italian match-fixing trial goes; Milan are pretty much okay now, so that leaves Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina. There’s nobody I want from Rome, I’d take Martin Jorgensen and Toni from Florence, and as far as Juve goes I think we can only realistically consider Vieira, Nedved and Trezeguet to be viable or necessary targets since Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Thuram, Emerson, Camoranesi & Ibrahimovic are either not what we need or will have other “more attractive†suitors.

Anyway, just to finish, nice win yesterday it appears, good to see Ole back among the goals, but lets not get giddy that we beat some pirates. Lets see how we’re looking against tougher opposition towards the end of pre-season. Oh, and while I remember, somebody knocked Fletch’s passing at some point yesterday, I disagree in general and think he’s got a good range so here’s a big MON FLETCH icon14.gif from me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

The thing about that pic is that the guy actually complained to the Press Complaints board that the picture if his daughter should have been edited out becuase the pic was printed without his permission.

Not in the slightest bit fussed his young daughter is giving the finger whilst he does a nazi salute icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a Chelski fan posted on a website in response

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Actually, We've Started Already

Re: Nice Chelsea chap in Mediawatch.

I think that it is very clear that this gentleman and his daughter were merely trying to start a Mexican wave. If it was a Liverpool supporter you would of said he was just a cheeky Scouser waving to his mum, but because it's Chelsea you claim he is making a Nazi salute. That's the typical kind of rabid anti-Chelsea bias I've come to expect from this Gooner fanzine website.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jpshakehead.sml.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

That retort has to be a wind-up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm guessing it was someone masquarding as a board member, my mate isn't a bullsheeter.

Rich! hello, hows things with the missus and the (soon to be born) nipper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the nipperoonie isn't due until Feb, Mart icon_biggrin.gif Long way to go yet.

Ooh, but if it's a boy, I'm calling him Ryan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet you're a father before we've got a decent midfield.

Yeah so i decided against getting a 1 year season ticket for private reasons that i have no doubt i will end up posting on the board and getting no sympathy from sooner or later.

Anything think its going to be any harder to get tickets this season with all the bloody season tickets that are great if you have the money for them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Rosicky yes but i doubt Moaninho would have sold Duff to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that, I just want to sulk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Darron Gibson

Having not seen him before I couldn’t at first really believe how big he is physically, pretty much a monster being that tall and broad. Looks good technically and capable of sitting as an effective holding midfielder but without anything to compare his performance to I don’t know if that’s typical as far as his game goes. Another that I was impressed with despite limited time on the pitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is pretty typical Jimlad, although he's got it in him to be more than just a holding midfielder - he's generally box to box for the reserves.

And yeah Franny, sort Evans out now icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heh, just reminded me of Pleat talking about Defoe.

"Well I signed him when I was manager at Tottenham."

*me tries to eat off own face*

Carrick did alright and tried some good balls, some didn't come off but he'll get better as we go along icon_cool.gif

Not sure if I said anything about him before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

your beard has a lot more history behind it than mine icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course.

I'm a very colourful character, me. icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

haha, does Barthez actually think retirement will stop him being called up to the French squad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he can but dream icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to rule out bringing in striking reinforcements during the transfer window.

The Red Devils are currently top of the league as well as the Premiership goalscoring charts, but with Alan Smith struggling for form after his lengthy absence and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer currently suffering from a hamstring injury, United have been rumoured to be planning a winter recruitment drive.

Ferguson has been constantly linked with a move for Atletico Madrid star Fernando Torres, and the Scot may decide to enter the transfer market to provide more competition for current first choice partnership Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney.

The Scot was unsurprisingly unwilling to talk about targets following the 2-1 win over Sheffield United, but seemed to leave the door open to potential transfer manoeuvres in the New Year.

"How many times have I bought players in January?" smiled Ferguson.

"Okay. There were a few. We will have to see what happens."

Although Saha was firmly in the shadow of Rooney on Saturday, with the England star bagging a brace against The Blades, the former Fulham man has played a crucial role at Old Trafford this season.

After seemingly ending the string of injuries that have afflicted him at times during his stay in Manchester, Ferguson is now hopeful that Saha can stay out of the treatment room for the rest of the season.

"As we keep saying about Louis, we have to keep him fit," Ferguson added. "That is the key for him.

"He had a terrible spell when he first came here. He got injuries playing for France and one with us last summer in Japan that kept him out for four months.

"But when he came back he immediately started to score goals, first in the League Cup, then he had a good run in the league.

"His ratio of goals per game is healthy and he is a very important player for us."

United's 2-1 win over The Blades leaves them three points clear at the top of the table ahead of a huge week in which The Red Devils will travel to Scotland to play Celtic before taking on Chelsea in The Premiership.

Ferguson is typically looking forward to the two clashes, insisting he is pleased United have a high-profile UEFA Champions League game before their Premiership showdown.

"The Chelsea game is obviously gathering arms and legs at the moment," said the Scot.

"It will be built up and built up right until kick-off time, so it is a good thing we have this really important match coming up on Tuesday.

"I am sure the players are aware how important this week is.

"I don't think you can avoid it.

"We know who is on our coat-tails in the league at this moment but we know we must be consistent over the remaining 25 games.

"If we can achieve that, we have a fantastic chance in the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huntelaar or Bent kthnx

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Odd about Adu, thought that was essentially all wrapped up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Realisation after a week that he's like Cobi Jones but even shorter?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the Time of Goals Conceded table it says no goals have been conceded in extra-time, what minutes were Baines' and Lita's goals scored? I am not sure about Baines' but I thought Lita's was in extra time (not too sure), no need to change it anyway, not really important. I was just wondering if they counted in the 75-90mins column?

Reserves next fixture on the 17th ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

you'll be laughing on the other side of your face </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that makes less sense than james

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear the OTF guys who went are ok. Scenes looked crazy. Good match to watch as well. But I honestly think without Scholes (Vidic as well)in the 2nd leg, Roma will get a draw which they need to get through.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

How much money have we got this summer btw? Did Uncle Malc say £25m per season or £25m per window? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uncle Malc doesn't even know what day it is anymore. I think he may actually be dead but they aren't telling us. Not seen him on tv or anything for ages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably been disguising himself so he can do secret scouting of Torres, Hargreaves, Kaka', Ronaldinho etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldo hardly managed a cross worthy of the description all afternoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't he cross the ball that Giggs should've scored from?

great cross, even if he did do little else all game, so what he's been by far the best player in a very good team this season, we can't expect him to win us every game single handedly ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, that was Rooney.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived