The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Silvestre does it for United. His cross field pass against Southampton that season was sublime for Ruud's goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>pfft. That only encourages him to try another 150 unsuccessful ones

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davehanson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">right from the scandal then. targets???

id say the only realistic ones are vieira, buffon, maybe ibra or bojinov or frey. (toni = inter)

the ones i want are buffon.

the ones we'll get are...none.

instead we'll go for kuscysycsyzk ffs! devilfire </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frey is a Parma player just on load, so he'll go back there.

Perhaps worth a look at Trezeguet, Camorinese and Cannavaro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Havent read the whole threa dyet but Frey is a Firentina player now. They had him on loan last season and purchased him about a month ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Because if Park steps up we have a number 1 winger waiting, and so a new winger would be required to replace Giggs still. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't make a decision on a winger now based on whether Park steps up or not, as you won't know that until we're into the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then we need a winger to replace Giggs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what if Ronaldo goes? Do we then need two?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Why is getting ruud out a dependency for the new signing, Glazers flexing their financial clout (or lack of)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much, yep. Ruud going is expected to set things in motion on a few fronts, so it dragging on is a bit of a pain, even though I'm glad we're at least trying to get a half-decent price.

I take it that myself and Scatter are the only ones who ever watched River whilst Mascherano was there then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who would have credited it a year ago? Ruud van Nistelrooy is actually leaving.

*snip*

So, United fans, why the long face? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right too, Hargreaves and Carrick as a centre midfield partnership would give United a very strong side for next season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicely done Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

MUTV saying Fergie has ruled out Saha, Silvestre and Ronaldo for the Fulham game. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm definitely taking my boots now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Lets all look at what this new keeper of ours can do. Just for gonch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaTQxlChMg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that his supersave or his absolute HOWLER against spurs at whl?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

By the way, a footnote to the Rooney/Scholes bans:

Ade Akinbiyi was sent off at the weekend playing for Sheffield United away at Sparta Rotterdam. The incident was included in the match report by the referee, but then not sent on to the FA by the Dutch FA. Is it any wonder we feel a bit hard done by and that there's one rule for us and one for the rest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has there been any word on us putting any appeal together in response. We'd have a pretty good case for leniency in this instance I'd have thought. Not that it'd matter a jot to the F.A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was our appeal that was rejected wasnt it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it?

I've not been paying full attention the last few days. I just thought we were still waiting for them to make up their minds whether or not to punish us...okay off to SkySports.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

just thinking, how long will permits take to come through for tevez? mascherano has dual italian nationality so no problem there but doesnt it take weeks to develop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure but I think Tevez would get a work permit. They (DfEE) seem to move quicker round the end of the transfer window. Plus with the international break, the paperwork will get sorted before the next games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This morning feels atrocious. It doesn't help that its grey outside, which is really great for trying to lift myself up inside, a nice sunny day could have at least meant I could pop down town and eye up some ladies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it was sunny and 26 today and I still feel like crap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

So pages 1-100 to be omitted completely? icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn right, they were dire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know he's ups and downs, well ups and maybe 'a' down, but what about your thoughts on fergie being the best manger of modern times? only Wenger comes close, but even then, he whinges more.

On the flip side, it's been mentioned Fergie was hit and miss in the transfer market and was lucky to have his English core that came through the youth system, to fall back on. Now, this is a man who signed Mr Cantona, and imo just as influencial Schmeical, but what do you think?

Obviusly none of them were David Ginola but we can't all be perfect

• 2 weeks later...

So, not the first time we’ve seen that happen recently is it? The vast majority of possession, preventing the opposition playing, total control and yet not a final ball capitalised on the entire game (though the proportion of viable final passes was probably only 10% at best regardless of how much we kept hold of it). I think these results are just are some of the hardest to take…especially when you’ve recorded the game, avoided the result because you're at work, and stayed up past 2am to watch it.

Anyway, the free-kick shouldn’t have been given in the first place but you can’t argue with the quality of Nakamura’s strike. Although Nick ventured to say that VDS may have a weakness from dead-ball situations, and tonight could be a shot in the arm for such a position, was I alone in trying to work out who was at the end of the wall and seemed to duck their head out of the flight path of the ball? I think it was Rooney by the way.

As for Saha’s penalty miss, I didn’t think he looked up for it all night and it wasn’t one of those strikes where there was the conviction or accuracy to get it in even if the keeper went the right way. I’m not so sure we didn’t get lucky with the decision in the first place as well. Dare I venture to say that we missed Ruud a little more than usual in this sort of contest? I can’t really imagine him fluffing the late chance that Rooney dinked in for him personally and that leads me back to Saha’s head being somewhere other than Parkhead this evening. With Ole out our options from the bench are clearly stretched in terms of game changers – O’Shea and Evra coming on were really desperation moves.

Rooney and Ronaldo had mirrored halves for me. Wayne was as influential in the first half as Ronny was ineffectual and until the last 5-10 minutes of the second half the two players swapped involvement levels when Rooney finally got into a couple of dangerous positions. Not really happy with either tonight to be honest, but then I can’t say that I’m happy with Giggsy either. Decent enough first 45 minutes where he made some cracking runs in behind, but nowhere after the break.

I don’t care if this is getting repetitive, but Scholes was our MOM for me again tonight, controlled our tempo along with Carrick ably at the heart of the side, and I’m just glad that he came out of that disgraceful tackle by Balde in the first half unscathed. Carrick I’m happy enough with but if I was going to level a minor criticism at both of our MCs, even though our other four attacking players (should) have plenty of movement, now and again there’s space for them to make themselves useful as the unseen option rather than sticking and probing from deep.

Outside of the free-kick I can’t fault our defenders. Well, now and again Vidic played some questionable back-passes, and Gabby is looking closer to 100% but still not quite there for me as shown by some of his execution. Gary is going to be missed if we have to send him for surgery but we just need him to get through Chelsea at the minute – I don’t want Robben/Cole/Kalou/Shevchenko playing up against O’Shea, and I do think Fergie would put him in at RB ahead of Wes at the minute in GNevs absence. Incidentally I thought Rio had a very good game marshalling VoH out of the match and keeping the back-line in check. VDS dealt with the minor stuff without a fuss as per, and outside of the near impossible to save free-kick can’t be faulted really.

MOM: Paul Scholes

2ND: Rio Ferdinand

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

we'll have to agree to differ because i'm off out to get drunk, but i'd quibble with the last paragraph especially - i don't think there's a significant difference at all in their current ability. if anything, Ronnie's been the better player by a fair distance this season so far (there are obviously mitigating circumstances you could cite in Wayne's favour, but i still think the point stands).

i'd have strongly agreed with you this time last season, but i think the gap's closed so much so as to almost be non-existent now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the one think i'd say on that (which is probably one of your mitigating factors) is that you're comparing at a point where Ronaldo is playing the best, most consistent football of his career, whereas Rooney is a level below his best at the moment. That's still about 3 levels above everyone else, but in judging this i'm comparing them both with their best, most consistent spells. So it's the Ronaldo of this year with the Rooney of the last couple of years, working on the (i think) reasonable assumption that Rooney is still not 100% out of his blip in form, rather than having become a worse player since the summer. And taking them on that basis, i'd put Rooney ahead.

I do think maybe saying "significantly ahead" is overdoing it a bit, i'll grant you. Put even given this seasons upsurge, i'd put Rooney at his best above Ronaldo at his so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

His English actually improves as the interview goes on icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does icon_biggrin.gif Learns a language in 7 minutes icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a superhero

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The documents also reveal the Glazers’ belief that no other English club comes close to United’s commercial prowess and that “Chelsea’s lack of brand appeal and limited fan-base beyond the UK make it a less compelling commercial partnerâ€. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope everyone else is feeling suitably smug right now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

how many goals is that now for solskjaer:

a) this season

b) in his united career? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>6 & 122 i think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry it's 7 and 122

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just cant have VDS there. today he mixed the brilliant with the abysmal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FFS Taz, mix-up with Vidic where he wasn't as culpable & one moment where he stood on the ball on a clearly dodgy pitch vs. multiple game saving saves.

The latter clearly outweighs the former.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'm going to the Grand Prix in Melbourne Mika, and I get to ride in one of the McLaren's as well as obv. meeting the drivers.

Not really, but I bet the look on your face just then was priceless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bahaha icon_biggrin.gif

I won't say the first word that ran through my mind as it would be censored.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the trams are getting ever more ridiculously jammed anyway it seems, and when it starts getting warm there is nothing worse than being crammed on one of those bad-boys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye hate being crammed in them on a nice day (here is where someone would normally mention something about Manchester weather) as they're like a sauna. Though at least they have windows that open, unlike the modern express train coaches which are beasts on a hot day when the air con breaks down.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

The Champions league final which was held at OT was only £50 a ticket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not across the board tbf, my ticket was £80.

if i could be bothered to dig up my rant from a couple of pages ago i would, feel exactly the same.

"The remaining 30% of tickets have been allocated to people involved in the grassroots of football and the football family. These 23,000 tickets will go to the 92 Premier League and Football League clubs, the 134 Full Member clubs, other clubs who reached the Third Round of this season's competition, charities, the Football Foundation, Premier League, Football League, Football Conference, PFA, Inte..."

so that's league two clubs, conference suits, premier league bigwigs, gordon f**king taylor getting tickets at the expense of people who genuinely deserve to be there. the fa are just a f**king joke

• 4 weeks later...

Instead what i am surprised of is that he is not hot-tempered.

Traditionally people from Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Romania, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria are hot-tempered.

With the serbs and croats deserving a special note (at serb weddings, back in the day, they used to shoot their guns in celebration, don't know if they still do it).

• 2 weeks later...

If my updated FM2007 is a good future prediction, and it will be, you will romp the league next year. Nani will be FB down the right wing. Hargreaves and Anderson won't play because SAF just chooses "Let assistant pick team", and KR will be your best player.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

owen /o\ poor mans van nistlerooy and thats saying something </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being ridiculously nice to Owen there fella.

Incredibly PASSIONATE friend of mine is frothing (happily) at the thought of Owen and Rooney playing together and building an understanding for England. You guys would love him.

Archived