The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

oh yeah David. On loan at NEC scored 6 in 17 icon_cool.gif

Crap PA though icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I want you to tell me, but go on...

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I do wish people would stop calling him Cronaldo.

Especially United fans since it's obvious what you're talking about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it's in the bloody thread title icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

I know you're not blaming the Glazers for everything, but if you are blaming them a bit then you could even go back to who ever it was who made you a PLC. Glazers were just making the most of a situation, not their fault that you were liable to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that effectively saying that we shouldn't blame the debt on the people that put us in debt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Who'll take our penalties when Ruud goes?

Ronaldo? Or is that too much pressure to heap on him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lad wanted to take Portugals 5th pen. Stepped up earlier in the competition and netted with ease. Its no pressure at all.

Its between him and Scholes for me as our next penalty taker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suppose so. Probably the best way actually, give him a chance to ram it back down the opposition fans throats.

Not that he'll be here on the opening day of course. No. Because then I'd owe you a pint...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

R.E. better make it up to another game icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

oh yeah, and Marshy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">john van lampard

why do all these clowns take the names of chelsea players, first joe cole and now this chump </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah you dum? Check when i registered the world cup was coming up and Lampard was the key to us winnng with Rooney out,or so thought! he was absoleute crap! and i dunno how to change the name, the Van is for Van Nistelrooy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

A heart-warming story

'JUST FOR A CHANGE, THEY WERE showing the 1999 Champions League final on Manchester United’s in-house television station yesterday. Even revisited now, that crazy evening, when United scored twice in stoppage time to defeat Bayern Munich, defies logic and explanation. “Football, bloody hell,†were the only words Sir Alex Ferguson could muster when a microphone was thrust in his face at the final whistle and, seven years on, they still capture the moment perfectly.

In his autobiography, Ferguson would reflect that the incredible victory took him to “a peak of aspiration that had sometimes seemed unreachable. In the turmoil of celebration, there was a private corner of my mind that was recalling some of the key stages of the climbâ€. It was a climb that, purely in terms of his managerial career, had taken him from the depths of the Scottish league with East Stirlingshire to the pinnacle of sporting achievement.

So what of the climbing analogy? If his first 25 years in management, culminating in that night in Barcelona, were a gruelling but ultimately irresistible ascent of Everest, the past seven have taken him on a hazardous journey across a series of precipices, his final destination unclear. The landscape of English football has changed before Ferguson’s eyes and, rather than the autumn of his career, it has felt like its winter, cold and unforgiving, as storms — a few undeniably of his own making — have raged around him.

Nor is it just a lack of silverware that has begun to unravel a little of the legend. There was the unedifying Rock of Gibraltar saga, which began with an argument with one of the club’s biggest shareholders over a racehorse and indirectly resulted, via a damaging smear campaign against him, in the Glazer family’s takeover of the club last summer. There have also been questions about many of the players he has signed (Juan Sebastián Veró n, Laurent Blanc, Diego Forlán, Eric Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Liam Miller and so on) and in the dressing room, with Ruud van Nistelrooy the latest addition to a long list of leading players to have left after falling out with the manager.

One way or the other, Ferguson’s managerial career is heading towards a fascinating conclusion. At 64, he cannot be expected to go on indefinitely, so it is quite feasible that the coming season, his twentieth full campaign in charge of United, will be his last. That is not an attempt to write him off but merely to say that, just as every new season brings an opportunity to plot a route back to the summit, so each passing year brings him closer to the end, be it glorious, dignified or otherwise.

But if there are voices telling him that he is not getting any younger, and that this could be his last campaign, he is doing everything possible to ignore them. During United’s recent tour of South Africa, one reporter, having asked Ferguson whether he felt under pressure, was subjected to a mouthful of vitriolic abuse. Another raised the subject of disillusioned fans during a press conference and was angrily asked for evidence.

As it happens, there is plenty: not just on radio phone-ins and on the internet but via more traditional indicators such as the ticket office (where, despite reduced prices, seats for next Saturday’s “glamour†friendly against Seville at the expanded Old Trafford have been selling like, well, Michael Carrick shirts) and by talking to United’s supporters, who need little encouragement to tell you that disenchantment is not aimed solely at the Glazers.

Perhaps it is just as well that there are moves afoot in the transfer market. Marcos Senna should join this week from Villarreal in a £4 million deal to strengthen the midfield, while Ferguson remains eager to sign a striker to replace Van Nistelrooy, with Fernando Torres, of Atlético Madrid, still under serious consideration. Senna’s arrival is the more urgent, particularly since Carrick will miss at least the first fortnight of the new season after injuring ankle ligaments playing against Ajax in the LG Amsterdam Tournament on Saturday.

Increasingly with United these days, though, it is about the ones who are no longer there. In Amsterdam, the names of Jaap Stam, Roy Keane and Van Nistelrooy, all ruthlessly axed by Ferguson, were chanted by supporters and, as during previous friendly games away to Preston North End and Macclesfield Town, it sounded defiant, rather than merely affectionate. And affectionate is not a word that can describe some of the chants about the Glazers.

Faced with this backdrop of unrest and three successive seasons of “transitionâ€, it can be hard to find good news involving United. The Amsterdam experience was a case in point, with red cards for Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes overshadowing a 3-1 win over FC Porto on Friday before Carrick’s injury during the 1-0 victory against Ajax. It was easy to forget that United actually won the tournament. Look hard enough and there are positives to be found, such as the promise of Danny Simpson and Jonathan Evans, two teenage defenders who excelled against Ajax, strengthening Ferguson’s vision of a young team that will flourish long after he has departed.

But that, rightly or wrongly, is not how Ferguson will be judged. Going out on a high, whether in 2007, 2008 or another ten years from now, is what matters and that can mean one of only two things: recapturing the Premiership or the European Cup. In other words, arriving back at a peak of aspiration that has at times seemed unreachable.'

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Russel Beardsmore might have actually made my top 20 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha. I remember when I was really little and didn't quite understand who he was, because I never saw him play, yet he was the last player in the annual.

Him and Milne stand out for not standing out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. Around 1988-89 Beardsmore was one of the best players in the team, though the team of course was quite dismal then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> EXCLUSIVE

By GUY PATRICK

SOCCER ace Steven Gerrard faces an FA probe over his astonishing “deathwish" outburst about Manchester United.

The Liverpool star wrote in his new book that he was taught to “loathe†arch-rivals United when he grew up on Merseyside.

He added: “During 90 minutes of football I want United to die.â€

One United fan complained to the FA about the “sick†comments and was told they were being investigated.

England hero Gerrard could now be handed a ban and a huge fine if FA bosses rule he has overstepped the mark.

Reply With Quote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which utterly sad twat complained, utter moron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have put money on it being you, tbf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Strip out the sentiment and concentrate on the facts. Fergie must die. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Can we have an age limit of 21 or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we need a maximum age limit too. all you old feckers tottering around the thread spreading your malicious richardson >>>> giggs malarky is likely to have a profound and unbalancing affect on the young uns that do get past the entrance exam... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the same path, if we're discussing games that happened WHEN I WASN'T EVEN ALIVE

can we get back to talking about the squad/cosmetics.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I thought Park, Giggs and Rooney all played worse than Fletcher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and you'd be completely correct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First time you've ever agreed with anything i've said - you feel alright? :| </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well i am more than a little drunk. i'll check again in the morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hargreaves has made no secret of his desire to join Man Utd

Bayern Munich will consider selling Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United - but not for less than £20m.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer told German newspaper Bild that if an offer of that size was tabled "we would have to think about it".

Beckenbauer added: "That is a figure that would allow us to be active in the transfer market."

Hargreaves has just been told that he is not ready to return to full training as he recovers from a broken leg.

The 25-year-old sustained the injury in a league match against Arminia Bielefeld in September and had hoped to return in January.

It is normal to want to keep a player who has just extended his contract

Franz Beckenbauer

But he is now unlikely to be ready to play against Borussia Dortmund when the Bundesliga restarts after its winter break on 26 January.

Hargreaves had hoped to return to full training with his Bayern team-mates, who are on a training camp in Dubai.

However, tests on his leg revealed the healing process was not as advanced as previously predicted and he will instead only take part in light training.

Hargreaves has been repeatedly linked with United over recent months - with the player admitting he would relish a move to Old Trafford.

Bayern had previously stated that they would not sell a player who last season signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2010.

And Beckenbauer added: "It is normal to want to keep a player who has just extended his contract and who only wants to join another club because they will pay him better."

Hargreaves has always maintained that his desire to play in the Premiership is not motivated by money.

The England midfielder said: "It's about the opportunity to possibly play in another league I haven't played in before, which is also the country I represent and where my family lives.

"It's not like I'm saying I want to go to AC Milan or Inter Milan because they're offering me more money.

"It's because it's England and because Britain is where my family is. My parents and my brothers are in Canada, but the whole of my dad's side of the family is in Bolton and my mum's side is in Rhyl.

"I think some people don't realise that. They think I'm half-German or something, but I'm not. I was brought up by a British family. It just happened to be in Canada."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much Mart's story from the BBC

Yeah i've been hoping Giggs, Scholes and Ole make the 150 goal mark for the club. Thats why i have their club goals in my location.

13 for Giggs, 15 for Scholes and 27 for Ole can be done if they all stay for another coupld of seasons.

And as it is i think all are 10 or less to go for 100 Prem goals.

Scholes 93, Giggs 92 and Ole 90 according to stretfordend.co.uk.

I'm backing Scholes to be our first player to hit 100 Prem goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Had we not got Larsson, would anyone of taken Ronaldo for 6months instead? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's only one Ronaldo !

So no, the fat fecker could've stayed where he was/is. icon_razz.gif

• 3 weeks later...

great victory, hugeee win for us, was so nervous in the first half. Didnt play well at all, Carrick was super sloppy on the ball, ronaldo trying and failing to beat his man too often. Rooney lost his touch.

though ryan giggs was ****ing awesome down the left wing, take note fergus. Great victory, just hope VDS isnt out for too long, would be a huge boost.

10 more of them.!

"Magic"

(As recorded by Pilot)

DAVID PATON

BILL LYALL

Oh, ho, ho it's magic, you know

Never believe it's not so

It's magic, you know

Never believe it's not so.

Never been awake

Never seen a day break

Leaning on my pillow in the morning

Lazy day in bed

Music in my head

Crazy music playing in the morning light.

It's magic, you know

I love my sunny day

Dream of far away

Dreaming on my pillow in the morning

Never been awake

Never seen a day break

Leaning on my pillow in the morning light.

It's magic, you know

It's magic, you know

© Copyright 1975 by WB Music Corp. All rights reserved.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Stadium chief defends actions

The head of security at Lens has rejected talk that his team were heavy-handed with Manchester United fans.

United's 1-0 win over Lille in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night was overshadowed by events off the pitch.

Trouble broke out at Lens' Stade Felix-Bollaert stadium with several fans appearing to be crushed due to over-crowding in the United end of the ground.

Tear gas was used by police to try and stop the supporters from climbing barriers as they tried to avoid being crushed.

Uefa has launched an investigation into the incidents, but the chief of security at Lens, Damien Vanoise, has defended his colleagues' actions.

"I think we responded to what happened," Vanoise told French radio station RTL.

"We didn't intervene by chance.

"There was not even a problem of communication. From the moment we saw the supporters who were trying to pull on the railings, what is the interpretation we can make from that - us, as security guards? For me, it is violent behaviour."

Vanoise also insisted that no one got crushed and that there were not too many people in the visitors' stand.

"I can tell you that nobody was crushed in the wire fencing," added Vanoise.

"There weren't too many people in that stand. The stand was not full."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly cant believe that in France our supporters are getting the blame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the french press yesterday were making jokes about it. along the lines of 'the english suddenly remembered their own reputation and decided to live up to it etc etc.' cuunts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">also apparently Liverpool contacted the guys who own the banners on tier 2 asking if they'd like to put them up in the away end at Anfield on saturday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooo What was the reply?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

:smug: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but unlike you Mart is repaying me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Cantona did bugger all in Europe, they're right about that. But it's a crap and unfair comparison. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably also down to the "3 foriegners" rule at that time. With players like Giggs, McClair, Hughes, Irwin etc. considered foriegners we can win bugger all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah he occupied a berth of that, there were times we needed someone to step up and he was nowhere to be seen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

youth cup final is tomorrow night isn't it? what times ko? I might come, anyone meeting up before hand? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going. Dunno about Martin/Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

SO happy. icon_biggrin.gif

We'll be able to check Anderson out properly next month in the Copa America, won't we? Will he play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hopefully he'll play saturday against ingerland </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think Anderson is in the squad to play against england, but i think he is set to play against venezuela next month

• 2 weeks later...

Archived