The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CRISTIANO RONALDO has snubbed Alex Ferguson in his bid to quit Manchester United.

Old Trafford boss Fergie spent 24 hours trying desperately to contact the Portugal star.

But the winking winger switched off his mobile and failed to return calls from his boss or United board members.

It is Ronaldo’s latest two-fingered salute to United after his role in Wayne Rooney’s World Cup red card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

I suspect Keyser wasn't being entirely serious there.

If he was, he's on his own icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wanted to see how many United heads exploded, tbf icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Typical trolling Arsenal fan. I think Keyser's just another Wicom alias.

oh and as for the debt/repayment restructure.. as far as I'm concerned anything that reduces the size of annual repayments - for now - is for the best.

I shudder to think the state of us when we get knocked out in the group stage again and only just about qualify for the UEFA Cup

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

They are closing us down quickly and giving us not time on the ball which is leading to very little action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is nengomashe playing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

that's what you'll tell the grandkids at least :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without the 'mighty' League Cup being included, I can't imagine them being that impressed :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

league cup > fa cup

or so I've been reliably told

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Any of the MUTV lot about to tell us if anything interesting is said in the Carrick press conference at 2pm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be on SSN aswell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed that, then thought maybe not as they haven't even mentioned it yet. I've only been awake/watching for 20mins though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I think you're being remarkably dismissive of the contribution that Fletcher can/will make if you've got him down as just "the player who can come on and show a bit of energy if we're holding on in a game".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's a fair assessment?

Taz - yes, it's me icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

and ive not heard any news of any disruptions at stocky

daddy would have told me

link me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

departs LONDON EUSTON at 08:35 travel by Train service provider VIRGIN TRAINS to

station STOCKPORT arrives 11:32

departs STOCKPORT at 11:40 travel by Bus service provider VIRGIN TRAINS to

station MANCHESTER PICCADILLY arrives 12:10

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Sure, but I still wouldn't class Keane as big name at that time. I don't think any clubs outside of Britain would have matched the bidding for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you have to look at it in context as well. At that time, it was pretty rare for British players to go abroad (which hasn't really changed much), but it was even rarer for any top European player at the height of their powers to come here. Taken in that context, coudn't you argue that the best British players were the big names, as you couldn't get anyone of a higher stature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, all fair points. He was still in the talented, young with immense potential bracket rather than established player at a top team. It's not like signing Gerrard or Lampard today, for instance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but again, how often does a top player move between top British clubs? Gerrard came close, and Cole probably will, but i'm struggling to add to that list, and they've only become feasible since Chelsea moved the goalposts. Maybe getting Cole while Newcastle were still at their peak is the nearest i can think of? Even Cantona moving from Leeds while they were champions doesn't really count, as he only truly became the player we remember after that move.

Having said all that, i think we are getting to the point where having half a dozen conditions that rules out bigger and better players is getting to th epoint where i'm more agreeing than disagreeing now icon_biggrin.gif I think all i'm trying to say is that if you count a 'big name' as being the best that any club in Britain could realistically sign at the time, then he counts. If you go solely on world reputation, then i agree he probably doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

It doesnt matter how poor Park or Fletcher are when you have just found a 1989-90 patch for FM.

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?t=34204&page=1&pp=50 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You downloaded this yet ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know some people who have, has the class of 92 all in the youth academy icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please wait while the download server is contacted... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get that far, and then nothing. Except that feckin' mosquito ad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Best 3rd squad depth? What? icon_biggrin.gif

Riise's an average left-back. Aurelio's an average left-back. Gallas is an excellent one. Clichy has shown he can be an excellent one if he stops being a cripple. Completely stand by what I said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aurelio an average left back icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Sorry Nick but that is just hilariously wrong. Aurelio is a better left back than Evra, and as good as Clichy. He's the transfer at the scouse that really makes me worried about their team, gives so much balance to their defence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mass smileys \O/

We disagree, get over it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Still on Rio bashing are we?

FYI, some people in the Czech Republic don't like United for our (and I quote) 'distreatment of Karel Poborsky'. There's a shop in Prague named after him, but I don't know what it sells. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wasn't very good for United and was sold. How was he mistreated? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. These were big Czech blokes with very little hair, so once I'd discovered they weren't best disposed to my club, I moved on fairly quickly.

Guns are legal there, you know...

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin why do you no longer have access to away tickets? If that is the case why have you sold Keith's ticket for Chelsea to return a favour? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart no longer has access to Aways with that contact as he is forever asking for them but never offering the chance of tickets in exchange.

He asked me if i was gonna go to Chelsea being it was on telly and that if he offered it to this guy he'd be able to get a pair of villa away in return.

Obviously Mart found out the hard way life is not all gimme gimme gimme, there is in fact so giving involved too.

provided my £30 turns up quicker than the £30 from you for Copenhagen i aint too bothered. Was going to be a tricky game to get to for me as it was.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, what was the goal like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Played to Rooney about 5 yards outside the area. He holds off two players, and feeds the ball to an unmarked Evra who's bursting into the penalty area from the left. He takes a couple of touches then blasts it through the keepers legs.

The glorious left back that he is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

just had a stumble across to RI there, that place is away to the dogs icon_frown.gif

what's with all the Irishness on there lately? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's always been away to the dogs tbf.

Speaking of Red Ish, does anyone else here get it by subscription, and if so, have you got your latest copy yet?

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

To make this post in some way include United, I'll add that I think Klose was very average tonight for Bremen. Hardly any service admittedly, but I don't think he'd suit us. It's immaterial anyway, because even if he does want to go we're only going to be able a packet of pork scratchings and the even less effective Kieron Richardson in exchange.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Jesus wept. Funnily enough, it's a combination of the players you have and the tactics you employ them in that wins games. And the right tactics and man management can get far more than expected out of a group of players.

As a simple example off the top of my head, go and read up on Leicester City under Martin O'Neil, and then come back and tell me that the set of players he had were top 10 squad in the premier division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Argentina 86? There's one example off the top of my head. Many ex pros have the opinion that players win matches. OF COURSE tactics play a part. Any fool knows that. At which point did I say tactics didn't matter? Please show me that? You've shown me one team in the last 30 years that have proved that teamwork>players.

There's a lot of hate in here icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

giggsy such an utter legend, one of the people you'll look back at and be genuienly proud to have watched week in week out icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, so underrated too, easily in my top 5 all time players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I might well be wrong on this but i'll still never understand anyone who would put club over country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would put their country over their club.

Die England, hope they lose every match 8-0.

• 2 months later...

Ronnie was vastly better than Giggs in February - was the inspiration behind the Spurs win and won us the Fulham game single-handedly. Giggsy scored a couple of good goals but was pretty anonymous against Charlton (taken off after an hour) and dire against Fulham.

• 1 month later...

I think we have to look at it as successful already.

Obviously winning nothing now would be a hammer blow, but surely 2nd / ECSF / FACF is better than 3rd/4th (which many of us feared) another early CL exit but with a cup win thrown in?

If we end up having our season effectively decided by 3 games against the Chelsea machine then I think we have to say we’ve done incredibly well?

My stomach is turning about tonight's game already.

Btw, for those who watched the game last night (since I won't bother with the match thread), I'm not the only one who can't believe how lucky the Scouse are to have picked up Mascherano am I? The lad was the best player on the park last night and its not taking anything away from our CMs to say that the lad is a class act and should be wearing a different shade of red.

Anyway, as well as that I was also thinking that Bling's point about doing Milan and then beating the Scouse "for the good of football" isn't just about us not letting Liverpool get another European Cup under their belt, its about footballing principles. The game last night only generated tension because it was gradually rolling towards penalties. Neither side played any football and although Liverpool made 1 or 2 slight attempts and were the better side last night on the basis of actually playing the game, neither of the competing teams last night deserves the title of European Cup holders because of staunch defences and the ability to hoof it towards the strikers.

God kick-off is about a third of a day away but I can't get tonight's match or the potential consequences off my mind.

MON REDS!!! icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly wants Micah Richards to be a part of Manchester United's next Champions League bid - and the Manchester City defender is said to be "aware and excited" by the Red Devils' interest.

On the eve of the Manchester derby at Eastlands, the United boss has targeted the City right-back as Gary Neville's long-term successor, according to the Daily Mirror.

The 18-year-old was nominated for this year's PFA Young Player of the Year award and Ferguson is ready to move swiftly to deny Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham getting there before him.

The London trio all tried to sign Richards during last summer's transfer window and in January but he's now said to be excited about United's apparent interest.

Richards, also capped at international level, only put pen to paper on a new four-year deal last year and City are therefore likely to demand a fee of around £20million.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

Archived