The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

you were imagining it. Besides, like James07? has alluded to it's difficult to get excited about potential signings because Sir has lost the plot wrt positions.

Hargreaves: Makeshift left winger

Torres: Right Full Back

Mascherano: Striker

O'Shea: Centre Midfielder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phfft, I thought you were being serious until that last one

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Post Monkeh:

i'm a big fan of cahill. different kind of player but i'd love it if utd got him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i love timmeh when he plays for australia, but i don't really think he's good enough for us. poor mans paul scholes basically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon14.gif Lucas Neill to replace G. Nev tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimmymc:

When did we buy him? The sad thing is about the spurs young english lads. Lennon, Carric, and Robbo Im talking bout. We should have been in for all of them. I think between em they cost the same as Evra. Or 1/5 a rio ferdinand. Although Evra should still be given chance to prove himself, surely a goalie a winger and a centre mid we should have been in the market for at that time. Now were looking at paying 7 times what carrick was about for two year back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>the problem being if carrick, robinson and lennon had come to man utd they wouldn't be half the players they are now because they'd have never played.

well robinson might have because he was already a very good keeper, but the other 2 there's no way they'd have been 1st team regulars.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Did Ronaldo even pretend to wave a card? I'm sure he didnt he just went over to the ref like Stam/Keano/Beckham/G Nev/Giggs/Rooney/Rio do/have done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doesn't make it right, now does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make what right? Approaching the ref? Shall we just agree he is a greasy little nonce? A Poor mans BBB if you will?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha Torres calls a press conference, going to say he's staying.

Duff goes for £5m, I'd like to think we went in but they said NAW but yeah we all know that's ********.

O'Shea and Fletcher "great options"

oh and what James said.

eurgh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:His name is Marcus, big bloke, dark hair and a scar across his neck. I'll(tall and skinny) be with him in the restaraunt, see you there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like your boyfriend, way you describe him. give him a kiss, k?

Just to make it easier for you all to continue loving teh Ruud..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1) His start to his United career, that goal against Liverpool in the Charity Shield and 2 goals on his league debut against Fulham which made him an popular player from the off.

2)The double against Deportivo, a couple of really good goals too, especially the second from such a tight angle. The CL record chase was underway.

3)His first hat-trick against Southampton, though the thing I remember most Is Phil Neville scoring a beauty icon_biggrin.gif

4)That turn and finish against Sunderland in his first season.

5)That long goalscoring run, culminating in breaking the consecutives games/goals record at home to Blackburn, and the celebration. Also, narrowly missing a second goal with that amazing overhead volley.

6)Those two goals to save us at Villa Park in the cup tie. “It’s Van Nistelrooy again, ohhhhhh yes†The pitch invasion \o/

7)Finishing top scorer in the Champions League in his debut season, 36 goals overall.

8)That last minute penalty against Nantes to finally end the heroics of Landreau who had a stunner that night.

9)The late penner at home to Leverkusen, another memorable celebration.

10)Harshly getting that ZTE keeper sent off and not letting Forlan take the penalty icon_biggrin.gif

11)Fat Sam saying that Ruud had been “found out†at the start of the 02/03 season and then Ruud going on to score 44 goals that term. Sod off Sam.

12)The two goals away at Leverkusen, revenge.

13)The hat-trick against Newcastle, everything had been going so badly and then it all turned around with that performance.

14)The goals away at Basle, in particular that second from the seemingly impossibly angle. “It’s two in a minute and a half!â€

15)The double at home to West Ham in the 6-0 game.

16)The goal at home to Juve from Beckham’s long pass with him throwing the shirt into the crowd before O’Shea launched himself onto him icon_biggrin.gif

17)The hat trick and THAT goal against Fulham. “They can close the betting on goal of the month…maybe even the season!â€

18)Single-handedly keeping us in the Real Madrid tie in both legs, his spirit and determination was something else in both matches.

19)At the time scoring his 14th European goal that season and another European golden boot being secured.

20)Finishing the season with a frankly ridiculous goalscoring run, breaking his own previous record, and stretching it to the start of the next season.

21)That goal against Arsenal at Highbury, what a night.

22)The 25 goals to win the Premiership golden boot that season.

23)That goal on the US Tour from Veron’s pass, that was just stunning.

24)The goal at St. James Park and the dance with Djemba icon_biggrin.gif

25)The hat-trick at Leicester the week after the Arsenal game, what a response.

26)Setting up a goal for Giggs against Stuttgart with some stunning footwork and close control that any player would be proud of.

27)The late winners against Southampton and Everton as our defence crumbled without Rio.

28)The FA Cup goals against Man City and the ensuing celebration icon_biggrin.gif

29)Returning from injury to save us away in Lyon, one of the few bright spots when it comes to our European away games.

30)THAT penalty against Arsenal, probably my favourite goal of his.

31)The four goals against Sparta Prague.

32)The vital winner at home to Lyon when the team was in trouble following Carroll’s ****-up.

33)Saving us at home to Benfica, the first game for a while that I’d attended in a while with a late winner, amusingly after everyone around me had left.

34)That stunning goal against Charlton this season, along with a goal from outside the box icon_eek.gif

35)Nearly saving us at Ewood Park last season, from the bench annoyingly.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...

WE had 10 men tonight, we had to carry that fat gayer O'Shea for 90 minutes. He is crap.

Solskjaer is amazing. Nobody deserved a goal more than him. Even Carrick tried setting him up when it was better to shoot. Fletcher was amazing in the second half. I think he just lacks confidence sometimes becuse of all the crap he gets off fans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I've never bought an away shirt. Wouldn't even contemplate it tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I got that blue and white one.. which was a 3rd kit iirc not even our away one.. when I was 9 so doubt I even asked specifically.

god id give anything for us to sign reo-coker but its fairly obvious were in for a very happy with the squad type speech and bemoaning our lack of luck with bayern staggeringly not being willing to let go their last remaining decent central midfielder.

part of me thinks id be happy if the window closed now with teams as they are as ive got an awful feeling arsenal will pull off some top quality last minute signing that will see them challenge us for our favourite second place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Still 3 hours to go though. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just like ur thread last summer - its going to be a long, long 3 hours chaps icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not - iirc you guys were actively after Simao, talks were underway etc, there was stuff going on. With us, Fergie's on his fourth bottle of scotch and Gill's asleep, simply no chance of anything happening bar last minute selling/loaning off of squad players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha, i was gonna post that with the deadline looming, Ferguson would be sat asleep in a chair, in front of a roaring fire, clutching a glass half full of brandy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eurosport website was reporting we had bid 30 million euros for Hargreaves early this morning but i just laughed it off as a load of crap so didnt post it. Great news thats its true.

The fee is a bit high for my liking but yet again we have been crying out for someone like Hargreaves for years now. If we signed him not only would it be a great boost towards the title but it would leave the squad short of one class winger to be perfect for me.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I love it when they call us 'Manchester' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not like it causes any confusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Why taz? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because if they do suspend the league for a chunk of time what would be the point of him being there when there wont be any games to play?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i thought giggs was very competent, one of our better performers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't have been at the match then icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh you're right i must have dreamt it all!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

yeah the bastard, ah well icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

i should really bring that up more often when you're gloating about going on aways i'm not

Missed Silvestre's injury because I was flicking between the game, Buffy and MTV. And then fell asleep a bit after Smudger came on and woke up just after the game finished.

Love watching us in Europe, so exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah been thinking about that possibility for a while now

the fact that Chelsea could quite easily do us in all 3 competitions makes me sh*t myself, but not quite as much as the prospect of Chelsea beating us to league and Cup and Liverpool doing us in the CL final

either way - its still very plausible we end up with nothing

moreso than winning the treble ffs

• 1 month later...

I just like how with you lot (same with me as well so I'm know different) not only do we require our team to do good (or bad in Leeds case), almost as important as that is then the reaction of others.

Leeds going down and being in Administration doens't bother me as much as the reaction of every single person in the UK saying "all Leeds fans are scum, dirty Leeds etc"

You've won the league, but don't like how the BBC et al arn't giving you enough praise.

icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Brown committed to Reds

Wes Brown says he would like to see out the remainder of his career at Old Trafford.

After a short spell in the side at the beginning of the season, Brown spent the majority of the middle part warming the bench resulting in speculation over his future.

The 28-year-old, who enjoyed a more prolonged run in the first team towards the end of the campaign, insists he is keen to remain at United for the foreseeable future and beyond despite not always being first choice.

"I have been at Manchester United since I was a kid and I always want to be here," he declared. "A lot of people have asked me about my future but that was just because I wasn't playing for a certain stage of the season.

"If you are not getting selected, it is normal for people to start talking. But I just get on with it. I am playing now and everything is fine.

"When you look at this last week, winning the title and now the Cup final, it shows why you want to be at a club like this."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we play Hargreaves on the right? That just seems stupid to me.

Hargreaves has been bought to provide the tough tackling ball winning element we have been missing. Your three options are 3 in central midfield, push Scholes into the Giggs role or drop one of them.

If Hargreaves is going to spend games on the wing then its clear to me we should have bought a winger first and Hargeaves second but i just cant see that happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't saying Hargreaves out on the right was a good idea or what Fergie should be primarily thinking of using him as. All I was doing was suggesting a less than ideal alternative to having one of two 14m+ players occupying the bench regularly or having Scholes there instead.

Obviously as and when Scholes' powers begin to wane its not a giant leap to see Carrick and Hargreaves operating as the central duo to Ronaldo and another flying winger, but in the absence of said winger (and however much the Glazers/Gill say that there's money if we get two more top class signings on top of Hargreaves I'll be very surprised & despite the potential shown by some targets I’m still not convinced that the right player is necessarily out there at the minute) and with Scholesy still playing to a very high standard how we set up tactically next season based on these factors isn't cut and dried.

Its just that given Hargreaves' versatility, mobility and his experience of wing-back play from his formative years at Bayern he has the capacity to play in that area of the pitch if Fergie deems it necessary, and if people are desperate for a somewhat balanced 442 it wouldn't be totally out of whack with him there. That’s all I was trying to say.

Archived