The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

mascherano was indeed excellent last night, never seen him play THAT deep before tho, he spent a large part of the game almost playing as a centre back. the timing of his challenges is quite amazing, he seems to ALWAYS come away with the ball and gives very few fouls away.

i still love cambiasso and see him as the more likely signing. hes at the perfect age, has european football experience and would more than likely cost us a good deal less than JM. he also has an excellent eye for a pass considering the type of player he is and makes clever supporting runs. id be so happy if we got either.

in other news it looks like zokora to spurs is a done deal which will no doubt free carrick to move to us for a silly price. still has alot to prove to me but if we have a midfield that involves carrick and mascherano/cambiasso next year i will be very, very happy.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a Q for you:

Is Rooney, Ferguson's next Roy Keane?

Both are tenacious, uncompromising players who want nothing but full commitment from their team mates and will let them know if they are not meeting expectations. They both are extremely talented and have a bit of "mongrel" in them, which makes opposition cautious playing against them. Both also have leadership abilities.

Thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i had to laugh though at the pre game opinion of us getting mullored by that celtic team, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:shame:

You should know what to expect from me pre-game by now though icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does someone know where i can find the Villa match? It was such a long time ago I just want to watch the great Ruud at his finest work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone? Please?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

both teams love rubbish players. love rooney. love gerrard. stop loving the cult crap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

loving the cult crap > loving the crap cuuuunt, iirc

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

The first five words there should give you some sort of hint, surely? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric wasn't wanted at Sheff Wed icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

If its a choice between club and country then arsenal will always win but when england play i support.

anyway we have no more england players in the team so i am fine icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeo. We have the second most important one for the future of English football tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theo and crouch eh icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoyte tbh

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

My Mum says 'Martin can go **** himself is he thinks he's going to get any more away tickets from this woman' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh come on, you knew I didn't mean your mum/dad ffs icon_frown.gif

Sorted you for Newcastle, you ungreatful turd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Despite United's defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, the Reds are still ahead of the four teams expected to be title challengers come the end of the season. But Darren Fletcher says the Reds can't afford to fall behind their Premiership rivals.

In the past two season United have been chasing Chelsea's tail after a poor start, but this season the Reds started with four straight victories. That record ended against the Gunners, but Fletcher says it is imperative United get back to winning ways.

"It is hard to play catch up," he said. "As soon as you make a mistake you fall even further behind. That is why the real focus this year was to make a good start to the Premiership and keep ourselves in contention right from the off."

It was a huge week for the Reds, having already beaten Tottenham and Celtic at Old Trafford. Frustratingly, Arsene Wenger's side stopped United in their tracks. The Reds face another tough week with away trips to Reading this Saturday and Benfica on Tuesday, before Newcastle come to Manchester next Sunday.

But Fletcher believes the squad is still full of confidence. He said: "We were always confident about our form. United have to be at the top of the league, we need to be challenging.

"There was a real confidence in the dressing room this summer because we know we have the ability to match Chelsea." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It was important to start well," Carrick told MUTV.

"We were disappointed to lose against Arsenal because it was such a huge game but even so, we have given ourselves a platform and we are definitely in the mix.

"It is vital we do not slip because then we have to start chasing other teams and it becomes difficult.

"It has to be maximum points all the way now because we need to put some pressure on." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay, it begins again icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Graffitti artist clearly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh good work on the stereotyping icon14.gif

actually there is a picture of him, in a tanktop and shirt, sitting by a tree drawing in some park. no joke.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Player of the Month - Scholes

Worst player of the month - Richardson

Most improved player of the month - Carrick

Goal of the month - Saha vs Chelsea

Moment of the month - Winning the pen in the closing stages against Celtic only for it to be missed. icon_mad.gif

• 4 weeks later...

pretty much everywhere that isn't Old Trafford icon_biggrin.gif

Reading H - 3

newcastle A - 1

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 1

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 3

West Ham A - 3

Total 35 (50) - 85

CHELSEA

Fulham H - 3

Villa A - 3

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 1

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) 89

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

stfu the both of joo.

mascherano >>>>>>>>>>>>> * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't you be off crowing somewhere? Stick to sports aussies know something about icon_razz.gif

The wrong signing now could be worse than no signings at all in terms of this season. For all that it could mean missing out on a potentially great player, i think it would be the wrong time to sign him.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do we have anyone out for tomorrows game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think so, bar Smudge who probably wouldn't have made the squad anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Half-time on the Football First highlights I'm watching, I agree with those praising Carrick earlier, he's looked very involved so far. Decent if not spectacular first half performance.

Ole's loss of pace so noticeable though icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

silvestre - £3m surely. worth it for the comedy value alone, french international. someone will go for it.

richardson - £9m. full english international, answer to englands left wing problem. probably worth a LITTLE less but english inflation means we shouldnt be letting him go for much under £10m.

smith - £17m. another full england international, can play as both a forward and a midfield player, supreme in either role. brave like a lion and passion alone worth a good £10m in england.

oshea - £6m but bidding war could see the price rise to unfathomable levels. plays every position possible, the ultimate utility man, superb celebrations.

the bbc's south american expert Tom Vickery on our brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been watching them in the South American Under-17 Championships, which Brazil won on Sunday. Rafael plays at right-back, Fabio, the captain, is left-back, though he's right footed.

They're both very impressive, especially Fabio, who was the second top scorer in the competition. They remind me of the Argentine Sorin in terms of the variety of their attacking game - they can hit the bye-line, they have poise on the ball, can cut inside and exchange passes and they are both terrific attacking headers of the ball.

As I understand it, United have to wait until they're 18. Usually in this situation I'm sceptical about the players moving so early. With this one I can see the logic. Neither of them are fantastic defensively, and if they stay in Brazil, given the attacking importance of full-backs, they might be allowed to stay that way. Perhaps United feel that if they get them over early they can develop this side of their game. The downside of course is that it's a gamble, and if it doesn't come off then the twins have far more to lose than United. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ps everyone ignore pires ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already do.

That was awful, and predictable. And i only saw the second half, which apparently was far better than the first.

Oh and Jonny, are you inbred? I don't mean it as an insult, just i'm wondering how many fingers you've got on those hands, because it must be an awful lot to cope with the number of times O'Shea gave away the ball in the game i was watching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point was that he had a good game. He even scored again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if i'm right, i think that is the same friday as i'm going down to london for the wimbledon trip.

we went to doncaster with fcum this season, was quite a good laugh. we played in the fa vase against a team called brodsworth miners' welfare, played just outside on donny in a place called adwick (not to be confused with ardwick).

quite a few pubs in the centre, some were a bit rum and a lot got closed after the match following rumours of 'donny whites' (local leeds fans) being about looking for us. we ended up in the walkabout.

• 2 weeks later...

right, we're going to get these three out of the way in one fell swoop:

Best Away Fans:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pompey

West Ham

Copenhagen

Ours

Celtic

Roma

Villa (cup)

Newcastle

Pompey

Sheff Utd

Reading </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worst Away Fans:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Roma

Liverpool

West Ham

Boro

Wigan

Charlton </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best Away Trip:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reading (Cup)

Blackburn

Everton

OT

Spurs

Fulham

Don’t know, ask fat martin since he’s on his high horse.

Villa

Liverpool

Watford (semi)

Roma </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived