The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

The game today showed why Riquelme would never work in England. He's not going to get man-marked everytime like Frings did to a degree today, but he had little or no time on the ball due to the pace the Germans were trying to play at, and he had no influence whatsoever.

Every game is like that in the Premiership

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

what about the rest of page 50? It is a sham.

*sets-up buffy quoting opportunity* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A yam-sham you might say...

Unless something extraordinary happens the rest of this page is going to be more of the same. If necessary I'll add an addendum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

We're probably going to end up signing Chiellini for about 10m because he is a player for the future and we don't have enough left backs in the squad yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, he's coming to us once cole leaves tbh.

Anyway, looks like you lot might end up with paddy on loan. The thought of which has made me throw up repeatedly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SarfLondonSpur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Btw, the flipside to this potential 'Duff to Spurs' move that no-one seems to have mentioned: £10m~ on him, £10.9m on Berbatov, £6-7m on Zokora and talk of further additions - surely that would mean Carrick was off? Either that or they've won the Euromillions and kept it very quiet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a very Leeds-esq way to run a club. And thats not what is happening. We wouldnt spend over 22m on 3 players on the basis of Carrick leaving. Thats what we would have done in the past, but we arent that much of a shambles anymore.

A few years back the board raised a share issue type thing and raised over £15m from that. This season we also signed megabucks deals with Puma and the £34m from Mansion. Plus money from our highest league position in the PL for years, and money from sky.

bingo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, assumed there was a logical explanation rather than as you say, a Leeds-style one. That said, I was sure I'd heard/read Spurs fans thinking this spending must mean Carrick was off - thought it was on here, but it might have been elsewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nick knows something we don't? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already told you it you plum icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed icon_cool.gif

there may be spies here so shhhh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Now we know where we're going in terms of making inquiries and maybe definite offers for one or two players." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent, now we know why we've signed noone so far icon_smile.gif

ta Fergie, I have faith in you 100% now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

\o/ The Danny Pugh song \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rings a bell but I can't quite remember what it was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moonie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

No idea if you know this already, but Danny Simpson, Johnny Evans, Darron Gibson, Souleymane Mamam, and Frazier Campbell are all now listed on Royal Antwerp's site as players for the 06/07 squad. They've also signed Kirk Hilton icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In recent TV coverage of the tour in SA, the commentators were saying that nine of the squad were listed to go out on loan soon. Dong included as he still can't get a work permit until December without more International appearances.

Maybe somebody can explain to me how he can play in Belgium, but not in the UK. No work permits needed for Europe/Belgium ?

How can the UK get away with that, if that's the case ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

belgium has no foreign rule, so you can play with 11 brazilians, or 11 ivorians on the field, like Beveren does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, the work permit.icon_wink.gif

How can we (UK) apply work permit rules when Belgiques don't ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

he's always treated the press and therefore us with little respect, but it's reached new levels recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole 'ask any of our fans and they'd say they'd be happy with the current squad' got my goat a bit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gómés:

A good move i think, i just hope we have a recall option on him when our first choice defence gets injured come September. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is mikaeitis contagious or something?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Not sure whats worse, joe_cole in general or people trying to prove he could have AS /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh you're a lot worse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

harsh icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Who's coming to the wall next Sunday then?

So far I've got

Me

Bagpuss

Coldberg

Rcjuk

NickOGS20?

pjburrage

James M

Razor Eddie

Leaving Early

Me

Are any other lads going to nip by and have a drink? alansmithifb14? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot the king of the list

MIKA!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Giggs just go good.

Incidentally looking at other vids, Jesus some people overdo it with the visual effects sometimes icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love the song on that compilation \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one? It has a number of different ones. icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In an earlier incident, does anyone know why Ronaldo suddenly decided not to dribble with the ball when he had acres of space to run into, and instead tried to pass to Saha with the outside of his foot from 40 yards away? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He never really got going. I think we did the total opposite of what the small clubs do to arsenal and thats fly in and tackle them and never give them time, We just let them play there game pass it about and find gaps also what was worrying was the ssubs as much as i love ole he aint as good as big bap is he? The plus out of today for me is liverpool lost icon_smile.gif oh and were still on level terms with chelsea icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

oh lordy

weststandred (stretfordendred would have been better really fella), let's clarify a few things - you're happy with the glazers because they 'dug deep' and bought Carrick for £14m or so, correct? You've been told that in actual fact this signing was funded by the sales of van Nistelrooy and Obi Mikel (with some left over), and still don't mind them? Ok.

Think about it - before the Glazers came, we were the most profitable football club in the country, probably the world. These profits all generally were re-invested in the club, be that in stadium expansion or, I suspect more importantly to you, player purchases. We were able to afford the likes of Veron, van Nistelrooy, Ferdinand, Rooney etc WITHOUT having to sell other players to do so. It's hypothetical, but without the Glazers in charge, we'd have been able to get Carrick this summer and quite possibly 1/2 other key signings.

As it is, the profits now have to go towards paying off a debt that we acquired because an owner who offers us NOTHING decided he wanted a new toy/eventual cash cow.

Do you not get that, or do you just not care?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

byebecks - maybe you should try and give one of those tickets to the United researcher for FM, maybe that way he'll get to a game and actually rate the players correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You dont need to watch them when you can give the editor to Redcafe and get them to rate the players for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

oh great, pompey at home, ****ing hell, another game with daytrippers galore /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aw come on, Fred_The_Red will have fun </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Excuse me, but how many matches have you been to this season?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The atmosphere is generally always good where you are though Mart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was ok in the North Stand, too. Where I was anyway. Even heard the East Stand once or twice. icon_smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i STILL cant ****ing speak after saturday icon_biggrin.gif

shouted myself so damn hoarse.

that boy ronaldo icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame your arms are working again though! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know, its ridiculous icon_biggrin.gif

football is doing me damage at the moment, physically. cut my leg in the celebrations too after climbing a chair then falling through it (lord knows how).

but when you witness moments like that who cares. genuinely the biggest collective outpouring of joy ive witnessed maybe ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so in laymans terms, that means they'll increase the debt to make the interest payments smaller? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm no expert, but my reading of it is yes and no. Some of the finance for the initial deal came from sources that technically aren't classed as debt, which is why the board were saying there was less debt in the offer they accepted, when the money still wasn't coming from the Glazers. These secondary routes often have different penalties if you default, and higher interest charges. So what the Glazers are trying to do is to shift out of them now before they cost a fortune, into more traditional bank or bond routes. So technically it's adding debt, but in reality it's just shifting your debt from one source to another, hopefully to reduce the cost.

At least that's how i've read it and remember it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can explain it better/more accurately.

Archived