The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

but it only says yellow next to his name, so he isnt banned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've just forgotten to update his status. It doesn't happen automatically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ambrosesimon:

Hello

Has anyone experienced problems signing up to One United this year? I signed up about 2 weeks ago and have received nothing from them but an automated email confirmation, which gave me my membership number. The official site, however, tells me this number and my email address are invalid.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had any probs? (I've emailed them a couple of times, but had no response)

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from what I've experienced so far with the ticket/membership people they're all over the place

2 of the 3 membership packs I applied for have been sent. one still waiting on.

And I STILL havent heard if I got tickets for Spurs ://

Normally would have heard about 2 weeks agoi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gah! Ok. Thanks. Will give them a call tomorrow then!

Surely we cant sign either Mas or Tevez in time for tomorrow due to Work Permit regulations? I mean, surely the player cant be registered until a work permit is secured, and that process usually takes a couple of weeks?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> WE HAD CASH FOR HARGREAVES - FERGIE

Posted 08/09/06 16:38

EmailPrintSave

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. If we had the cash, we would have spoken to Bayern before trying to tap OH up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

there is apparently a Kent one actually.. not fully investigated yet. But it'd surely be too late to sort that for next week anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah maybe, get the number, give them a call.

Eddie did it with his branch, mon Ant </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do my best icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

ok ive calmed down now. so why did poll book lehmann if it was inside the box? i want to know what rules the guy was going by... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because he was 40 yards away and couldnt see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sigh, this is hard for you isnt it? im simply asking what is the rule regarding handball outside the box?

either:

-its a non-goalscoring opportunity and a yellow card is the right decision (assuming it was outside the box)

or

-theres no such rule, handball outside the box = red and poll once again proves he's inept? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also asked why it was a yellow if it was inside the box icon_biggrin.gif

Poll is inept but im pretty sure it was the right decision assuming it was outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Fat Santa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I might go too, free for students and im in manchester all weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know that? Couldn't see that on the ticket details on the website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the home page under "next matches"

• 2 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

'Ferguson has been keen to stress Larsson's arrival does not mark the end of Alan Smith's stay at Old Trafford, even though the £6million former Leeds front-man has not even been seen on the bench since being substituted in the Carling Cup defeat to Southend.

"Alan's future with the club is good," declared Ferguson.

"The problem was we misread the situation when he came back from his injury.

"He did very well in pre-season but after that, there was no progress and we didn't really realise it until we saw him play against Crewe and Southend.

"Now we have got him on a quite intensive speed programme and he is working very hard at that. He knows there is a lot of hard work to do but he is progressing well." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Smith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">06 December 2006

United’s form could question Blues’ bottle come May

THE Reds go marching on. United returned from the Riverside — scene of last season’s most humiliating low — with all three points, and in doing so extended the gap with Chelsea in our favour to its greatest since Mourinho turned up at Stamford Bridge.

Heady times indeed, and with the running start to the season which Fergie demanded of his men having well and truly been made, for once we are in a position to ask what Chelsea are truly made of.

Certainly United’s victory — and the source of the winning goal — may suggest we could yet be in a position to still be questioning Chelsea’s bottle come May. Whilst various doomlords legitimately continue to question the depth of United’s squad, striking back just a minute after Boro’s equaliser was as impressive as it was well timed. And following on from Fletcher storming through to puncture Boro’s bubble there’s even been an outbreak of suggestions that perhaps he’s not quite the waste of space many Stretford Enders have long suspected.

Unsurprisingly, such magnanimity hasn’t yet extended to Mr O’Pie — that other oft-lambasted squad member who made it onto the scoresheet in the last week, but on hard-fought away victories such as Saturday’s are title bids created, and our squad is yet to be found wanting.

Still, calamity is never more than a game away. Whilst European progression is already assured this week, in which competition United will compete come the New Year will of course be decided in another showdown with Benfica. Quite how United have arrived at this point for the second year running is perplexing following the opening three group victories, and is surely a more reliable indicator of the quality of United’s reserves, the revised opinion of The Scottish Player notwithstanding. You sense that the six points we stand in front of Chelsea will count for little should the Portuguese repeat last December’s triumph; quite who will be more unforgiving — the supporters or the Glazers — should United fail to progress to the lucrative latter stages of the European Cup isn’t clear.

What is becoming ever more apparent is the frugality imposed by United’s owners. The arrival on loan of Henrik Larsson has been heralded in many quarters as an astute move, but on closer inspection the details of the 10-week signing seem incredibly bizarre. Available for only 13 games (at the most), it takes the definition of a stop-gap signing to a new extreme, and will undoubtedly cause introspection in the likes of Alan Smith and Ole Solskjaer for whom the signing clearly signals a vote of little confidence.

Indeed, both have been linked to January moves (sources suggest the latter will soon be playing his trade at Ewood Park) which would only serve to further deplete United’s squad come the season’s crunch.

That is of course, presuming this season will have a crunch. With Manchester City turning up at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime, United’s next two matches will probably dictate the course of our season. Victory in both will take United well clear at the top of the league and through to the knockout phase in the European Cup, the worries of a paper-thin squad and horrendous away record in Europe can be postponed for the morrow. Defeat in either would envelop Old Trafford in a heavy gloom, and seriously undermine the impressive season to date. (Of course, failure in both is too hideous a prospect to even contemplate.) However, negative thoughts have little place at Old Trafford of late, and few would expect Benfica or City to prove much obstacle given our form. Hopefully that’ll prove the case, and then maybe thoughts can turn to sorting out that ludicrous goal celebration certain players have taken to recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard Kurt in today's Examiner. Say it ain't so? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

well a 4-4-2 hasn't resulted in us being 0-2 inside fifteen minutes for at least a few weeks so i can understand acou's complaints?

who's to say 0-1-4-2-3-1 wouldn't result in us being 87-1 at halftime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually seriously, please tell me what there is to complain about at this very moment?

• 3 weeks later...

Jan

Out

Silvestre ~£3m

In

maybe Hargreaves

Summer

Out

Howard ~£3m

Richardson ~£2m

Smith ~£4m

Bardsley ~£1m

In

Winger

Hargreaves ~£16m

Huntelaar ~£12m

Leaving us with this squad:

Van Der Sar

Kuzczak

Foster (loan out)

G Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Heinze

Brown

Pique

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Hargreaves

Park

Giggs

New Winger

O'Shea

Rooney

Huntelaar

Saha

Rossi

Solskjaer

then the end of next season Scholes retires icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif maybe Giggs and Solskjaer too, and Saha leaves.

yeah TO shambles scenario #4609406:

I phoned the automated line to see if I got tickets for the Villa league game in 2 weekends time.

Applied for them about 3/4 weeks ago.

The 'latest ballot results' are still my failure to get tickets for the READING game \o/\o/\o/

hee hee, check this beauty out from the Barcodes forums

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Happy New Year

Good performance, good result. Aren't the people who make up Man U's away support a complete load of tossers? I just can't work out what their motives are. The Toon fans at Everton on Saturday were as ever a mixed bunch. But they were predominantly there to show their support for their team and to have a good time. Contrast that with the Man U fans at St James'. Not a single top or scarf between them. What's all that about? The bunch of 10 or so who were in the back room in Spoons were there with the sole intention of antagonising the Toon fans in the pub. Obviously it would have been nice to have seen them get tw@tted, but it was much better really that everyone just totally ignored them. It's a pity that the Man U fans hadn't tried the same trick in the Adelphi. But then again, they wouldn't would they?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet more Hargreaves news, but don't miss the extra titbit in the last paragraph.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United are preparing to test Bayern Munich's resolve with a first official bid for Owen Hargreaves, thought to be in the region of £17m, but the Premiership leaders will not be getting involved in any other transfers until the summer.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already stated he is only "looking at one thing" and yesterday it was the chief executive David Gill's turn to play down suggestions that the club may seek to strengthen other areas. United have already added Henrik Larsson to their playing staff, albeit on a seven-week loan arrangement with Helsingborgs, and Gill said that it is unlikely they would bring in anyone else.

"The money is there but traditionally we do most of our big spending in the summer and I think that will continue," he said. "Things may change. If there's an area in which we want to do something then we'll do it. But we don't plan to do a great deal. We've brought in Larsson, while a number of the players who have been out on loan are back."

United's priority is Hargreaves and they have been increasingly encouraged by some of the noises coming out of Munich. The Bundesliga champions do not want to lose one of their key players but they are aware that there are pitfalls in keeping a player who is keen to leave. Hargreaves, close to fitness after recovering from a broken leg, has made that clear he wants to leave, even being fined on one occasion, and United believe they have a 50-50 chance. "I think we all know the area in which we want to strengthen," Gill said. "But I'm not going to comment on that."

Looking further ahead, United have been alerted to the news that Marseille are willing to sell the France international Franck Ribery for around £17m.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Nice one Nick, will you be involved in the data update for the next patch after the transfer window? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, should be.

Heinze bid is apparently 5 million from Spurs.

Can't tell you how ecstatic I am that we might be selling a proven world-class defender for half the price we'll be able to bring in a 17 year old Welshman plying his trade in the Championship for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

now that's not something you see in here everyday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, it makes me feel incredibly dirty.

As I think I pointed out a while back, I remember being SO angry with myself for cheering a late Heskey equaliser against Arsenal in 2003. I went back home and just watched every United video of a victory over Liverpool I could find to make myself feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

i used the quick reply box when writing this just for you jimlad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers James, just wanted to make sure I knew what was going on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

football is doing me damage at the moment, physically. cut my leg in the celebrations too after climbing a chair then falling through it (lord knows how).

but when you witness moments like that who cares. genuinely the biggest collective outpouring of joy ive witnessed maybe ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, cut the backs of both of my legs as well when that goal went in (and got an accidental elbow in the face off someone in front), was absolutely buzzing all day after that match. Probably the fact the game was going so badly that the winner was all that sweeter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i would be happy to break icon_biggrin.gif

When Saha came with those 12mil pounds everybody was doubting him but i was confident he will make his mark on the club and was trully happy for him to have signed.

I was genuinely pleased and he had my full support.

However due to his injuries and lack of any will to play up until his latest injury turned me from giving him all my support to wanting to beat the ****er to hell.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

if we assume evra's back but no-one else returns for Milan, i guess we go:

vds; jos, wes, gaby, paddy; ronnie, carrick, scholes, giggs; roon, smudge

not necessarily in that formation ofc. the thought of wes/gaby at the back against ac milan makes me shudder - has been bad enough against sheff utd and boro icon_biggrin.gif

bench will be interesting as well - koosh, fletch, ole, eagles, dong will be on i guess, then surely kieran lee has to be drafted in and one other. doubt it'll be a u18 with the youth cup two days later so basically one from michael lea, flo n'galula, michael barnes, jamie mullan, séan evans, aaron burns or phil marsh. although i suppose as they're unlikely to feature and if they do it'll only be a short cameo, a u18 might get on there. Hewson or Brandy if so please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we qualify for the final with that defence then Milan are the laughing stock of Europe for this season icon_biggrin.gif

Unless my finances change dramatically in the near future I'm probably going to be applying more for the lower end of that ticket price bracket rather than the seats I've been going for this season.

Am I the only one looking at those price changes thinking that they've pulled a smart move with their uniform price for junior tickets around the ground?

For all the people they price out of tickets due to increased costs there will always be people to fill the ground as long as we're successful and if more affluent young families are in the ground then I'd have thought that they are likely to offset any deficit in junior tickets with increased merchandising sales, from the Megastore especially.

Or am I wrong and such families will be regular merchandise buyers regardless of whether they are at the ground? I'd have thought that "being there" would strengthen longer consumer loyalty to the club and the allure of the brand rather than kids just being fickle and jumping to whatever the new success story on the block is if we have another dip as some have done with Chelsea/Arsenal.

• 2 weeks later...

mark hughes v oldham probably my first football orgasm. memories :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd love my mum and dad's front room.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived