The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

So has the Question Mark got a value and status all of its own now, like a Blue Peter badge?

And by that token, could it be sold on eBay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's gained capital letters, for some inexplicable reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there's regular, common-or-garden punctuatory question marks, and then there's the Question Mark.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive always said that hargreaves is a good, solid player and his performances in the wc were no surprise to me having seen him play a lot for bayern, but in all honesty he is not going to be the catalyst for a title success or success in europe. he's the closest thing to the next phil neville you could find

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe your not more excited about Carrick, Fergie's already assured you he's 18 times better than Cantona...

Such a shame Ruud has left, so many great goals, especially in the Champs League - two most memorable moments probably being Arsenal displaying quite what a horrible club they are after the missed penalty, and then THAT penalty he scored which clearly meant so so much.

So basically, thanks for the memories Ruud, and I hope Carrick does well for you (although, you best be buying a winger/another CM) in addition.

Oh and also - I assume you all in the "We need another midfielder camp" rather than "lets replace Ruud"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United teenager called up to under-21 squad

August 2, 2006

Eighteen-year-old Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson has been called into Don Givens’s Republic of Ireland under-21 squad for next week’s vital Uefa Championship qualifiers against Greece and Belgium over the next four weeks.

Gibson has been capped at under-17and under-19 level in the past but this represents his first call-up to the under-21 grade.

The 18-year-old, who hails from Derry, has been in fine form for United in pre-season, impressing in the victory over Macclesfield Town earlier this week.

Arsenal young gun Anthony Stokes has been included in the squad having been promoted from the under-19 squad to meet Ukraine in friendly internationals.

Derry City midfielder Kevin Deery is also included, joining Drogheda United’s Paul Keegan, Roy O’Donovan of Cork City and Bohemians forward Stephen Ward as the eircom League-based players in the 18-strong squad.

Ireland meet Greece at the Panionios FC Stadium in Nea Smyrni before hosting Belgium at Terryland Park, Galway on Friday, September 1st.

The top team in the three-nation group will advance to a play-off in October where they will contest for a place in next year’s finals in the Netherlands.

Republic of Ireland under-21 squad (for Uefa qualifiers v Greece and Belgium, August/September 2006):

Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle (Birmingham City), Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic).

Defenders: Kevin Foley (Luton Town),Paul McShane (Manchester United), Alex Bruce (Birmingham City), Marcos Painter (Birmingham City), Darren O’Dea (Celtic).

Midfielders: Glenn Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Willo Flood (Manchester City), Paul Keegan (Drogheda United), Michael Timlin (Fulham), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Kevin Deery (Derry City), Roy O’Donovan (Cork City).

Forwards: Jay Tabb (Coventry City), Andy Keogh (S****horpe United), Stephen Ward (Bohemians), Anthony Stokes (Arsenal). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Thing is though they weren't referred to our FA, ours are being. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why were they not, but you are? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC the ref didn't put the Liverpool ones in the report he sent to the Dutch FA.

Generally I still think he had a good end to the season despite that, he's just written off as a Conference defender and isn't given the credit he deserves when he does have good games.

I for one am glad he's still in our squad.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

How do you break someone? Snap the person in half? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breaking people is easy.

It's not necessarily a physical thing. icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No Ole interview icon_frown.gif

remember on the live ITV coverage he was interviewed before they'd even gone up to get the trophy, said something along the lines of "i had the chance to go to leave at the start of the season and get guaranteed football, but this is the reason I stayed" or something. being stupid i only video'ed the overnight replay icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Ruud hit a pen over the bar for Madrid tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bet he did it classily though icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were 1-0 up & our Ruud isn't one to rub things in so he hit it over the bar to save the opponents embarassment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master Blasta:

Did everyone really think Heinze played that well tonight? I thought his passing and crossing were pretty poor, by no means the worst player on the pitch, everyone seems to have him as runner up for mom though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably because he actually looked bothered, and given his lack of match fitness, I thought he did a good job to be fair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

"Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter career. He said, "You jammy bastard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now **** off!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Partridge icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crilly:

how the hell are we ever going to replace gary neville? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Signing Richards and making City fume. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny I did that in FM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the thing with predicting results is that context really matters.

you'd put sheffield united at home down as a three point banker, but if it's a must win game in terms of staying with/maintaining a lead of chelsea, then it becomes an infinitely more difficult match because of the pressure. the longer we maintain the gap over the chelsea, the same will be true of their fixtures.

i wouldn't be at all surprised if neither side reaches 90 points tbh, yet when you look at the games remaining, under ordinary circumstances, you'd say both teams would be certainties to reach 90 points.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Mate just rang me got the tickets for the watford Game. YEAH ! icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont forget your airhorn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Random question..

If you had the choice of one ticket out of

City away

Liverpool away or..

Chelsea away

which ticket would you take? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea so i can go shopping at Harrods too.

But seriously Scouse bastards

• 2 weeks later...

2032: HALF-TIME Chelsea 1-0 Blackburn

Didier Drogba's early goal separates the sides at the break but Chelsea can count themselves lucky to still be in front after a string of chances for Rovers.

Yea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tottenham's Ledley King has been ruled out for up to eight more weeks so he misses out along with the ill Teemu Tainio and the suspended Mido.

Aaron Lennon has recovered from illness and Dimitar Berbatov and Jermaine Jenas have shrugged off injuries.

Louis Saha is pushing for a return to the Manchester United starting line-up after recovering from a knee injury.

He missed the win against Watford but will replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer up front alongside Wayne Rooney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

say Beeb

His attitude - Yes, it was a nasty injury but if he'd put down the pies once in a while...once Ince arrived he seemed to give up.

His wife - Oh come on, how annoying was she!? What was that early 90's TV show called with the scouse fella?

His lies - Going behind SAF's back to tell Taylor he was fit for England, despite United saying he needed to rest...IIRC he was injured in training prior to the international/

That substitution - Waddling off the pitch very very slowly when we were getting beat by Forest at Easter 02.

His departure - From memory he acted like an arse about his pay-off / departure to Forest.

His bitching - Straight to the NOTW to have a go at SAF when given half a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Is anyone else worried about the potential for a Fergie-Ronaldo spat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't like the way he came off tonight but I'm sure all will be corrected when he has a stormer and scores a hat-trick in the return leg icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

and put in at full-back because the responsibility is less in that position than it is at CB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He plays CB for us, we play 5-3-2 and have done for a while now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But when he was initially brought into the line-up you were still playing a back four weren't you? Pretty sure the hype all started when his big frame started marauding down the right flank for your lot. And he's been blooded internationally at right-back hasn't he since the apparent quality in depth of the centre-back ranks nationally would mean he'd be nowhere near the international setup?

I personally don't think that it detracts from the point that he somewhat understandably lacks the maturity to play effectively as part of a CB duo which is probably one of the reasons why he's been deployed as one of 3 by Pearce (I can only assume that Dunne & Distin are the ones looking after him for the most part) and at RB by England. Therefore his physical capabilities are still the main reason why he's in the side since he isn't experienced/naturally gifted enough to cope with the position of more responsibility that his physique would cause him to be naturally deployed without being chaperoned to some extent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jose Mourinho responded to seeing Manchester United all but snatch Chelsea’s Premiership title by launching another astonishing attack on Cristiano Ronaldo — this time insulting his family and ridiculing his lack of education.

Mourinho accused United winger Ronaldo, who is also Portuguese, of "not showing maturity and respect" and attributed that to a "difficult childhood" with "no education".

Chelsea’s manager has become embroiled in a war of words with the double PFA Player of the Year after complaining that United led a charmed life when it came to penalty decisions.

Ronaldo replied that Mourinho "does not know how to admit his own failures" and the Stamford Bridge boss reacted by branding the 22-year-old "a liar".

Then, in the aftermath of Chelsea’s 2-2 draw at home to Bolton on Saturday which saw them slip five points behind Premiership leaders United, Mourinho was asked about comments Sir Alex Ferguson had made in response to the row.

Mourinho said: "It’s a game where a kid had some statements not very . . . not showing maturity and respect, maybe difficult childhood, no education, maybe the consequence of that. Sir Alex felt he had to protect his boy. But normal things . . . I have no problems with him (Ferguson). I have no problem with the boy."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh crap, just been to get my phone from the postman, got 2 parcels waiting for me, locked up, can't get them till monday, guess what they are?

cup final tickets

ticket for jonny for tomorrow

tried ringing the concierge and no joy :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

locked up at the flats i assume??

my brother did what your brother did years ago, fell out of the window of his bedroom onto the road

mother spent the week at the hospital with him why i had to spend the week hopping from house to house around the darn village </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye dude, the storeroom.

trying to beg on RI now for one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iron-bullet:

Rooney and Ronaldo likely to be rested tomorrow lads? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

What did they say about Lennon in The Mirror today? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was literally just a "ferguson is also keen on aaron lennon as a long term replacement for giggs" at the end of an owen hardgreaves article.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

and in 1st, and i've been a bit creative and combined a few nominations into one bigger catch-all nomination to get an overall winner, it's bottling it and going 451 in most of the big games. at least with our new boys it might just work next season... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... if we find a '1' we can rely on icon_frown.gif

Archived