The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz has "no doubt" that Cristiano Ronaldo will remain with the club.

The Portugal winger has been quoted as saying he is considering a move to Real Madrid in the wake of his antics in the World Cup quarter-final against England, where he appeared to be involved in getting club-mate Wayne Rooney sent off.

But Queiroz insists his 21-year-old compatriot is going nowhere. "Is Cristiano staying? No doubt. Everybody knows during this period of the season there is some speculation. But we keep cool. Those players (Ronaldo and defender Gabriel Heinze) are part of our family," he told Sky Sports News. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruud's name not being mentioned there is quite telling for any of us who still held a faint hope of him staying icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

Ronaldo's had an operation and is definitely missing the start of the season. He'll play and stuff, but Ruud's certainly an upgrade on him, and any of Madrid's strikers really. Plus it never hurts to have depth - RVN, Ronaldo, Raúl, Robinho, plus Cassano and Baptista can play there. Latter two should get more midfield roles now though, if not one getting sold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Goodwin:

We could always bring back Yorkie icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just in case Gaby and Evra get injured icon14.gif

For now I'm "fairly" happy with the midfield... Carrick is a good player.

But to really challenge for the top trophies we do indeed still need that box-to-box/chasing the ball midfielder.

Those Mascherano rumours will come true* and we'll be fine icon_cool.gif

*I may be optimistic due to external alcoholic influences

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

Im still worried that fergie isnt fussed about getting a new striker on board. Its a bit dangerous to rely too much on Saha and Ole. Rossi, i think, needs a year on loan to a premiership side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're looking at a couple of months before hes fulling fit and gets back into the grove of things </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that's a worse case scenario given that he's already in training, and even if that timescale is correct he only misses the first 6 weeks of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you have 4 strikers. Saha,Ole,Rooney and Smith. Two are very injury prone and missed most of last season because of this. And you have to take into consideration that Rooney and Smith will pick up bookings and miss games through that. For me I just think we need 5 strikers just because of Ole/Saha's injuries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha come one united! Im going to go to so many games this season. I best apply for a membership for me and my pal as a present to him for getting into the greater manchester fireforce :*). Means I can go stay with him in Hulme just 2.4 miles from OT. Im so excited.

Come one the reds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Other Prem Strikers - Goals/Games in all competitions for their current club.

Games Sub

Started Appearences Goals Ratio

Shola Ameobi 122 87 44 0.21

Peter Crouch 44 7 14 0.27

Didier Drogba 62 24 34 0.40

Thierry Henry 315 30 214 0.62

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crouch officially crap then. icon14.gif

I can live with that.

Steve McLaren take note !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh and btw we need a rollcall for Saturday

Rcjuk

BBB

Bagpuss

NickOGS20?

James07?

Coldberg

JulesMUFC

Razor Eddie

Not being at the wall because he's a MASSIVE twat

Acou2000

Forgotten anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eff off

I already told you I'm gonna walk past and stare.

That's pretty close to "being at the wall"

Just watched the Celtic game (thank you Sky+) since I couldn’t watch it at the time and I thought that for all that we played some nice stuff offensively, we were a bit disjointed and sloppy at the same time. We got lucky with the penalty but overall deserved the win.

VDS and the defence as a whole didn’t really look like their heads were in the game, especially Rio. Carrick and Scholes combined well, the latter especially being absolutely FB. Fletch wasn’t in the game loads but when he was whether breaking up play, keeping the ball moving, as well as 2/3 good crosses into the 18 yard box that threatened. Giggsy’s injury is a big blow (especially when compounded by JSP’s). Its also an issue when I don’t really think OGS offers us anything out there – other than being the predator in the box that he is, he contributed nothing to our play really the other night. Our options are certainly limited out wide for the foreseeable future. Rooney looked rusty but he’ll shake that off soon enough. Saha had a really good game, threatening all night. As for the other subs, O’Shea was all right when he came on for 10mins & Richardson didn’t get on the ball really so it’s not fair to give him any judgement really.

MOM: Paul Scholes

2ND: Louis Saha

Honourable mentions for Carrick and Fletch from me as well.

When Giggs went off and I heard that JSP was injured I was going back and forth about whether actually playing 433 would be better for us in the next few games with Saha, Rooney and Ronaldo operating with Fletch, Scholes and Carrick a bit narrower behind them. In terms of balancing form and ability I think that it might be better than playing OGS or Richardson out wide against Arsenal in a 442. The other option is maybe Evra out wide on the left since he can go past a man, but I don’t think either option will happen. More than likely I think he’ll just replace Giggs with Ronaldo and then maybe Silvestre with Evra, I’m guessing the former just because of his experience of playing Arsenal. I think that the game depends on if the defence decides to get its collective head together and recover the sort of form it was in for much of the last couple of seasons really.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I've just seen the highlights of the Newcastle game, obviously not enough to comment in great detail, but how the feck did Ole get credited with the second goal? I love him, but it was blatantly Vidic's ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harper saves it without the deflection, I'm sure of it. When a shot's deflected in by an attacking player, it's generally the last to touch it who gets given it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, it's certainly Ole's goal. When it's a player from the attacking team who gets the touch, they're always given it. It's only when it's a deflection off a defender that the strength of the deflection starts to be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

If we're talking about into a canal in a bag full of rocks, i'd agree with both of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look, justified as that may be, using them to knock £50 off the Huntelaar price is more important, especially with money so tight right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless one of them has £100 in his back pocket when he arrives in holland, they wouldn't even do that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Good luck Ali icon14.gif

What's the job? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally was a sponsorship executive for a publishing company, although they've since also interviewed me for their conference production team. Which would be a better role, but for less money. Still, hopefully I'll have options, which'd be nice...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea what either of those jobs would entail, but hope you get one of them anyway icon_biggrin.gif

I take it you've not heard yet?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "It is scandalous some people think I should retire. It is none of their business," said Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

He's hardly going to say they're all ****ing ****

They were ok tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

richardson was in no way "ok" ffs. utterly dire.

i'll grant o'shea and mickey being decent enough, but richardson was abysmal as usual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

You didn't answer my point, even if we assume that the tactics were fine, do you not think it is right to criticise our performance before their goal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, you must have mis-understood me. I don't have Sky so didn't see the performance. Fell free to criticise, I'm only playing devil's advocate icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus thats 777 all over ffs icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

win-win when Chelsea beat us and pip you to the title by a point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'win-win' in that we fully expect Chelsea to take three points from every game they play. At least in this case we get to watch your shower of shyte yet again fail miserably against one of the other big four. Should you miraculously scrape something, it boosts our title chances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect opportunity for Rafa to blood the youngsters imo.

(and also the opinion of JK Galgreefe, who I shamelessly stole the entire gist of that post from)

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Like I said Martin. Becoming everything you hate. Don't forget to pick up your quilt cover & curtains on the way out icon14.gif

Last 16 of the CL & it's on general sale? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im probably gonna come up if i can persuade a mate to drive!

• 4 weeks later...

What really got me about Match of the day was the highlights they showed of Giggs. Hansen going on about his movement & running off the ball & making him sound amazing. If yo uactually watch the clips though all Giggs does is the same as every other breaking United player did.

The miscontrol was summed up by Hansen something along the lines of 'a bad touch' or something similar. Making out like it was a one off in the game. The fact is he was miscontrolling it quite often & picking the wrong pass. It was so frustrating everytime he got the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

silvestre was an absolute disgrace in possession, id be utterly amazed if there was anyone close to giving the ball away as much as he did last night. just a one man move breaking down machine. can only think the injury is gods way of telling him to stop catching balls.

not remotely arsed about the boro game so for me we play as much of a second string side as we can. smudge HAS to start if he is even remotely close to full fitness and id imagine its rest time for rooney given all his hard goalscoring work recently and a five man midfield. gabby needs time now, same with wes. other than that tho we dont really have many players we can bring in that are considered second string, currently oshea if a ****ing first teamer. richardson to be supoib on the left wing no doubt.

gonna be an awful weekend imo, especially if the bitters squeeze past blackburn for their greatest ever cup run since 1932.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gaga_4_parma:

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*English Press in your fcuking FACE!* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you die

iirc there were quite a few of our number who admitted to wanting Liverpool to win two years ago. should have been drummed out of the thread there and then. won't be so forgiving this time, there are NO excuses for wanting that lot to win.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting nagged at for all the United junk I own which have been cluttering the house. So I have just thrown out a heap of redissues, red news', United magazines, tickets and programmes, so very painful. icon_frown.gif

I may have to flog some yearbooks on eBay too. icon13.gif

Archived