The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Hargreves would cost about £5-6m though. Is carrick really worth double him++? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, because Hargreaves is better

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Madrid get Kaka and Robben (or even just one of them), Ronaldo's a bit shafted anyway. He's not a primary target for Capello, and if Madrid don't want him, where else can he go?

Barca - don't think they'd be interested, and if they were he'd be fighting with Giuly and Gudjohnsen for a place on the bench.

Other Spanish clubs - surely only Valencia would appeal to him, and I doubt they could afford the asking price.

All the top Italian clubs could well be out of the picture depending on the verdicts/punishments this week, unless he fancies Inter and they reciprocate.

Which leaves Chelsea? And I can see Fergie being a stubborn **** if it comes down to that. After all, the main basis for him wanting to leave it to realise an ambition of playing in Spain, and/or to escape the nasty English press/fans. Would take a monster bid from them I fancy.

Ronnie's doing a grand job of burning his bridges as quickly as possible at the minute, and he might just want to be a bit careful.

I'm now vaguely remembering Jimlad posting a more literate version of this not long ago, but hey ho.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Look, Kuszczak for a couple of million is fine, we do need another backup keeper as it's best Foster goes out on loan. Quit whinging about that ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have 3 keepers at the level of Kusczak tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who need first team football... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not just the fee though, its a mediocre player. He isnt an old stop gap like a Van Der Gouw, he isnt an established very good keeper and he isnt someone with a lot of potential in my eyes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a stop gap, he has Premiership experience, he's an international, I'm much happier to have him deputising than I would be Luke Steele. If he's utterly rubbish then big deal, it's £2m and we'll have a much more developed Foster back in a year.

You're not going to get a Buffon or Casillas to come sit on your bench, and while ideally a van der Gouw regen would have been preferable, they simply aren't ten-a-penny.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

This gem from Fergie btw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Alan Smith should be back by the end of August. He is a player we intend to convert back to centre-forward after a spell in the midfield last season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know whether to laugh or cry with the old sod these days </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so all the talk of him replacing keane is over then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought he may be groomed to take over from VDS - you never know with Fergie.

Scholes & Giggs up front

Rio & JOS in midfield

Fortune & Richardson at left back

Roon on the wing

Keano centre half

Jonah in the reserves!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

The Rooney money that relies on us winning something, anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We get 3 million no matter next season. Ah well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream

I guess for a couple of quid more than you paid for Johnson, you could have had one of the best strikers in Europ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruud not the striker we need. Then there's his exorbinate wage. And the fact he's 30.

AJ is exactly what we need, is English, and so we had to pay out the money to get that. And is on about the quarter of Ruud's wage to boot.

I haven't really boycotted sponsors because I rarely/never buy stuff from them anyway. I bet with bet365 not ladbrokes, hate budweiser so don't drink that anyway, prefer coke to pepsi, can't drive so audi's no problem, use gillette rather than wilkinson sword.

Might have had the odd jaffa cake icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Papers tomorrow running the Heinze to Real thing again, "Ruud tells Real to grab Gab" etc *cringe* icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's gone tbf he's in my dream team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Haha.. did anyone see that on SSN? Rooney arrived at carrington.. A little kid asked for his autograph, Rooney leant out the window ready to sign but then pointed at the portugal shirt the boy was wearing(.. with no. 17 on it) and just drove off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bet the kid was a plant from The Sun, bunch of winkers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

I think Rossi looks a great prospect but i can't see where he would fit in IF and thats a big IF he did go on loan to us... Would he rotate with Buffel?

Smithy can come up to Ibrox for a year to get his fitness back, i'd love that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, when you think about it there is no one else who is natural in that position really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

just sign senna now and ill be well happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that because you'd prefer him to Diarra or Hargreaves, or simply because you think those deals won't happen and the Senna one probably will? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

money wise id prefer him to diarra and i dont in a million years see hargreaves happening, but id take him over senna.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Kusczcak ifb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ESS ZED SEE ZED icon_mad.gif

Heh, just watching Kuszczak's press conference on SSN - gets interrupted by a tannoy announcement for someone to move their car, poor Tomasz looks utterly bemused icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed icon_biggrin.gif Would have brilliant if he turned to SAF or Gill and said: "I think that's my car"

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

4 if you class Wales as a foreign country. Although I did feel like death that day. Actually did Keith go? I don't remember icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheeky ****er

I ate all of NIcks remaining pies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought the answer to that question would be "Keyser".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Because I despise the person doing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Refusing to acknowledge, and even hating, true talent icon13.gif

You're worse than Pol Pot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that he is a total *apply lots of censored words here* means that whatever ability he has is pretty irrelevant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

**** off, I'm not a right-back icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, but it is <STRIKE>Fergie</STRIKE> Quieroz picking the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even he hasn't played a striker at right-back yet icon_mad.gif

Depends how you define 'we' though doesn't it? I'd like to think 'we' in terms of everyone on here knows the score, but 'we' in terms of the United fanbase as a whole is a completely different matter.

Any contribution the fans make towards the Glazers ****ing off will be minimal but that's no reason to bury heads in the sand and refuse to accept just how much damage the Glazers are doing to the club. The gimps think they've been accepted ffs - they need to know they haven't been, even if the net result is only a few more million quid in the transfer kitty or (arf) a bit more honesty with regards to our financial situation. As much pressure needs to be put on them as possible, or we're going to go on for the forseeable future with the Glazers believing achieving the bare minimum is a fantastic success.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

He's 23. Its a pity he couldn't make the break through into the first team but this is the correct decision for him at this stage of his career. I hope he doesn't fall to the bottom of the footballing ladder like a certain Ben Thornley, who now trundles through the pitches of North West Counties Football League Division One clubs with Salford Town. icon14.gif

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ji-sung Park says he has fully overcome the ankle injury that forced him out for over three months of the season.

The tireless 25-year-old midfielder underwent an operation to mend damaged ankle ligaments in September. But after training for over two weeks now, he believes he is ready to return.

"I am entirely recovered from the injury," he said. "Since last week I've been in training, so I don't think there is going to be any problem.

"The two ligaments in my ankle were broken, so I had surgery to connect them - and then I had to have three months of rehab."

He admits that the time away from football has been tough, but he is relishing coming back into a team flying high at the top of the league.

"As a football player, watching games is not very pleasant," he revealed. "My team is top of the league, so I'm very glad about that. But I still want to play.

"I am very impressed with the team's performances - but I'd like to join in and show my own ability. I'd like to contribute to the team."

The Korean midfielder could be involved at some point on Sunday against West Ham, the first in a run of five games 15 days over the Christmas and New Year period.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, whilst fergie is slowly going senile he hasn't lost all his mental capacity yet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ferguson tips Scholes for award

Paul Scholes

Scholes has been in sparkling form in Man Utd's midfield

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes midfielder Paul Scholes is an early contender for the Footballer of the Year award.

Blurred vision forced the 32-year-old to miss much of last season but he has returned to top form and is set to face Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Sunday.

"He's scored five goals this season and that is up with the best of them in the country in that role," said Ferguson.

"His football brain and the football he produces at times is marvellous."

Ferguson added: "It would be great for him to be rewarded."

The Old Trafford boss has hinted he will make two new signings in the transfer window but insists he is pleased with his current squad.

"I am happy with what I have, " confirmed Ferguson, who has been linked with England and Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

"The players are improving. They are good professionals and train well. You expect to see an improvement when they are at a young age.

"We have lot of cover as well, if you look at our back four positions. I am OK there and we have reasonable cover in midfield.

"Up front, we have brought in Henrik Larsson and that is a bonus. Then there is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He will get 15 goals for us this season if he stays fit." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also would be awesome if Scholes, Giggs and Ole can all reach the 100 goals in the premiership mark. Pretty exclusive club at the moment with 10/11 people in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Just got an image of Nick bounding up to his girlfriend all happy telling her the news. Then he explains its an unpaid job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahhaa fantastic icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

All I remember about that header is he was slap bang in between Vidic and Rio... not sure who "lost" the man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That happened a few times in the game, I remember the Adebayor header that was poor, its Vidics fault, he doesnt get tight to the man just concentrates on attacking the ball

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Oh and btw, even though people are saying it was 76k, there was NO WAY it was anywhere near that, there were shed loads of seats empty in East stand tier 2, and in both quadrents. It was more like 72k and atmosphere in general was *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i meant to say that. the NE quad was only about 2/3rds full and the side of east tier 2 nearest it had loads of empty seats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

starred word is what you do with pancakes, don't card me again icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, such a chance to report you icon_smile.gif

s'pose Ole might start.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I reckon. Carrick and Fletch in the middle with Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs and Ole milling about all over the shop again methinks.

• 4 weeks later...

oh and mixing ice cream with beer (quite strong beer) is just a baaaad thing to do, I was called an "embarrasment to Manchester United" by one of the CES dudes for throwing up on the coach icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Silvestre is such a good defender just cant concentrate for 90minutes and his **** ups usually cost a goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which makes him a pretty awful defender, no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

puts him along side titus bramble yes, but in terms of footballing ability way ahead of most defenders within the top 4 or 5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a bit like saying he'd be one of the best defenders in the world if it wasn't for that wooden leg though. You can't just ignore one of the vital elements for a top defender in your assessment.

It's like saying Forlan was one of the top strikers in england, as long as you ignore that pesky inability to put the ball in the back of the net.

Archived