The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CARRICK FULFILLING EURO AMBITIONS

Michael Carrick admits the lure of the Champions League was one of the major reasons behind his move to Manchester United.

Carrick is expected to line up against Celtic at Parkhead on Tuesday as United chase the point required to advance into the last 16 of this season's competition with a game to spare.

For the 25-year-old England midfielder, it is a whole new experience having never previously played in a European tie of any description for either West Ham or Tottenham.

Despite this lack of experience, Sir Alex Ferguson was sufficiently convinced by Carrick's ability to splash out £18.6million to sign him from Spurs.

Although it was the end of July before the deal finally went through, Carrick made it known that he wanted to leave White Hart Lane almost as soon as the Red Devils made their first inquiry just before the World Cup.

And now the transfer has become reality, the Wallsend-born star is eager to make up for lost time.

"The Champions League is the best place to play," he said.

"It is where you test yourself against the best and see how good you could become.

"It was always a big ambition of mine to be challenging for league championships and Champions Leagues. That is why you want to come to a big club like this."

Although United's status as the richest club in the world has been snatched away by Real Madrid, they remain one of the biggest names in the game.

In sheer scale of support, they have few rivals in the United Kingdom. Celtic though are not far behind, given the global appeal of the Glasgow club and their regular 60,000 sell-out crowds.

Having played against them on a couple of occasions in pre-season friendlies, and watched a few Old Firm games on TV, Carrick has a good idea how intense the atmosphere is likely to be on Tuesday.

"It will be awesome," he said.

"European nights up there always are. I have seen on TV how passionate the fans are and hopefully I will have the opportunity to experience it myself."

Mindful of Sunday's Premiership blockbuster with Chelsea, Ferguson has already made it clear he expects to make at least a couple of changes to his starting line-up.

Tough-tackling full-back Gabriel Heinze is certain to come into contention, as will Scotland international Darren Fletcher, whose Edinburgh origins mask a lifelong love of the Hoops.

Celtic's impressive home record in European combat make them an opponent to be respected.

But, having secured a long-awaited Champions League away win against Benfica in September, United are in no mood to surrender their current advantage at the top of Group E and find themselves forced to play the Portuguese giants in a last-day qualification decider for the second season in a row.

"Celtic's home record speaks for itself," said Carrick.

"They are a very tough team to beat up there. But if we are at our best we are capable of winning against anyone." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Are we on football first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not the game of the day, that's the Arsenal one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds fixture changes

United’s two trips to North London in the new year have been rescheduled due to television commitments.

The Reds’ first visit to Arsenal’s new Emirates Stadium was to take place on Saturday 20 January, but will instead kick off on Sunday at 16:00 GMT.

Arsenal are the only team to have beaten United in the Premiership this season but have failed to settle in their new ground. If the teams avoid each other in the third round of the FA Cup, the rescheduled Premiership clash will be the 200th meeting between the sides.

Meanwhile, United will be looking for their sixth straight win at White Hart Lane when they kick off at 16:00 on Sunday 4 February.

Originally scheduled for the previous day, the fixture may prove vital in the Reds’ march towards another Premiership title.

United haven’t lost against Tottenham since 2001, but the Reds will be mindful of Spurs’ recent home victory over champions Chelsea proving that Martin Jol's men are capable of an upset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not been posted..?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chelsea midfielder Mikel Jon Obi has apologised to Blues boss Jose Mourinho to try and heal a rift between the two.

Obi is understood to have angered Mourinho with his poor attitude in training, and met Mourinho with his agent John Shittu.

The 19-year-old has not featured in a Chelsea squad since being sent off in his Premiership debut at Reading.

He reportedly apologised for his behaviour and Shittu assured Mourinho there would be no repeat.

Obi arrived at Chelsea in June in a welter of controversy, after the Blues won a £16m tug-of-war with Manchester United for the talented teenager.

Manchester United believed they had a pre-contract agreement with Obi, who later claimed he had been pressured into signing it, and really wanted to join Chelsea.

606 DEBATE: Your views on Obi's future

An agreement was struck which saw Chelsea agree to pay United £12m for withdrawing their interest, and £4m to Obi's Norwegian club, Lyn Oslo.

Chelsea boss Mourinho hailed Obi as among the best young players in the world when he began training with the Blues in June.

Obi eventually made his Premiership debut for Chelsea at Reading on 14 October, but was sent off for two yellow card offences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

12m :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Aaron Mokoena:

"I admire him as a coach and I don't see why he couldn't do well at United.

"He's been in there and made a name for himself as a player.

"Mark has been at United and knows a lot about the club — but he has also played for some of the biggest sides in the world.

"As a player you want to achieve things and as a manager you want the same.

"The higher you go, that's where you get you the biggest challenges.

"I'm sure he is concentrating on Blackburn and he wants to do as well as possible — but you can never tell about tomorrow.

"It would be a massive move for him. I don't have any doubts about him doing well at any club he manages."

"When people look at Mark Hughes they think of him as the footballer. I know he was tough, he was very strong and he really wanted to win.

"But he's a tactical coach who likes a nice mixture in his team and that is what he is trying to get now at Blackburn.

"He's still new to the game in terms of coaching and that makes it tough for him.

"But he played for many top clubs so he knows what is needed to win games.

"But he's enjoying himself. He's still young and has so much to learn. We are helping him to do well because we know he is helping us do the same." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just watched MOTD, so based on the highlights...

MOM: Wayne Rooney

2ND: Ryan Giggs

The Roon for obvious match winning brilliance (both goals were really good takes); Giggsy because he honestly looked our other most influential player in an attacking sense from what the Beeb decided to show.

Evra was asleep for the goal but proceeded to produce the best cross I can recall him putting in whilst he's been with us to set up the 2nd. Nice work from GNev for the first as well.

Difficult to comment on anything else from what was shown, looked like we bossed it other than conceding first (had to be Gillespie didn't it...). Oh and we should have had two penalties. And I hope Saha looks a bit sharper against Celtic and Chelsea if we're going to get what we want out of those games.

Roll on the Champions League & Vidic getting a chance to own Drogba a week tomorrow...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Vidic v Drogba.. given their respective form... is going to be titanic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If SKY have any sense they'll sort out a prize-fight graphic for that confrontation...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Bizarre that the first penalty claim wasn't given, given some of the free-kicks that were given for lesser aerial chalenges later on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was thinking while I was watching.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I wonder if it's the same as last season where me and only me said that we would win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you one guess as to what I'll say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

0-3?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I wonder if it's the same as last season where me and only me said that we would win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you one guess as to what I'll say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Don't recall you ever saying we would lose a game.

Plus you are wrong loads of the time too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's signing icon14.gif

Don't recall you ever saying we would lose a game.

Plus you are wrong loads of the time too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm an eternal optimist icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'll give you one guess as to what I'll say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

0-3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we're lucy :*(

Err, dunno who Lucy is :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The girl who spat in IMM's face

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

really dont understand the continual ruud love it, sure good player for us. treated the club and the fans with utter distempt at the end of his career with us, acted like a spoilt little bitch and effectively walked out on the club.

gnev ftw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was all the fault of Quieroz Jules icon_mad.gif

Now apologise & draw a line under this little discussion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

How would a draw satisfy everyone next week? Minimum target? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A win should be our minimum target.

We need to get as big a lead as we can due to all our tough away games being after Christmas this year (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Does no-one else want to know what distempt is? I'm assuming it's a combination of disdain and contempt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha I didn't see that icon_biggrin.gif

Archived