The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United fail with Norwegian bid

Manchester United have failed with a bid for Norwegian starlet Havard Nordveit.

The 16-year-old central defender has recently trained with United and he left such an impression on Sir Alex Ferguson and his staff that a bid was lodged with his club Haugesund.

However, the Norwegian minnows have 'politely' turned down United's opening salvo - which was believed to be worth £100,000.

Haugesund have explained that they just feel their prized asset is worth more than United's offer.

"Players with less talent than Havard are sold for £100,000 these days," Haugesund sporting director Nils Halvor Berge said.

"We won't sell Havard unless we receive an offer good enough.

"The offer shows that Havard is not 'important enough' for them."

Berge insists that Nordveit could progress just as well at Haugesund.

"He is a special talent. We want to help him improve," he added to Haugesund Avis.

"We do not want to sell him yet. He's already been involved in the first team squad, and next year he will be competing for a place in the first team squad on a regular basis."

The player himself admits he is unsettled by the talk of a move to United.

"I haven't really understood what's happening, it feels strange," he told Haugesund Blad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a feeling that we'll be back in for him.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fergie hints at striker move

Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to rule out bringing in striking reinforcements during the transfer window.

The Red Devils are currently top of the league as well as the Premiership goalscoring charts, but with Alan Smith struggling for form after his lengthy absence and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer currently suffering from a hamstring injury, United have been rumoured to be planning a winter recruitment drive.

Ferguson has been constantly linked with a move for Atletico Madrid star Fernando Torres, and the Scot may decide to enter the transfer market to provide more competition for current first choice partnership Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney.

The Scot was unsurprisingly unwilling to talk about targets following the 2-1 win over Sheffield United, but seemed to leave the door open to potential transfer manoeuvres in the New Year.

"How many times have I bought players in January?" smiled Ferguson.

"Okay. There were a few. We will have to see what happens."

Although Saha was firmly in the shadow of Rooney on Saturday, with the England star bagging a brace against The Blades, the former Fulham man has played a crucial role at Old Trafford this season.

After seemingly ending the string of injuries that have afflicted him at times during his stay in Manchester, Ferguson is now hopeful that Saha can stay out of the treatment room for the rest of the season.

"As we keep saying about Louis, we have to keep him fit," Ferguson added. "That is the key for him.

"He had a terrible spell when he first came here. He got injuries playing for France and one with us last summer in Japan that kept him out for four months.

"But when he came back he immediately started to score goals, first in the League Cup, then he had a good run in the league.

"His ratio of goals per game is healthy and he is a very important player for us."

United's 2-1 win over The Blades leaves them three points clear at the top of the table ahead of a huge week in which The Red Devils will travel to Scotland to play Celtic before taking on Chelsea in The Premiership.

Ferguson is typically looking forward to the two clashes, insisting he is pleased United have a high-profile UEFA Champions League game before their Premiership showdown.

"The Chelsea game is obviously gathering arms and legs at the moment," said the Scot.

"It will be built up and built up right until kick-off time, so it is a good thing we have this really important match coming up on Tuesday.

"I am sure the players are aware how important this week is.

"I don't think you can avoid it.

"We know who is on our coat-tails in the league at this moment but we know we must be consistent over the remaining 25 games.

"If we can achieve that, we have a fantastic chance in the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin admits Gers struggles

Manchester United winger Lee Martin admits his performances for Rangers have not been up to scratch.

The 19-year-old loanee arrived at The Gers with a prodigious reputation, but has so far failed to deliver on his promise.

Martin has struggled with injuries and a loss of form, and the player himself admits no one at Ibrox has seen the best of him.

"I feel a bit disappointed in terms of my performances," he said.

"I don't feel that I've shown my true capabilities. There's more to come from myself on the pitch.

"I'm quite hard on myself. I like to do well and, when I don't do well, I punish myself.

"I haven't been up to my usual standards, I know that, but it's going to take a bit of time.

"I've just come back from a six-week injury and, even though I'm feeling fit, I'm not match fit.

"That's going to take another couple of games but, after that, I won't have any excuses."

Despite shedding light on his plight, Martins revealed he could still extend his existing deal with The Gers which is due to expire in January.

"I'd like to (stay)," he said. "I'm quite happy here but it's not down to me at the end of the day. It's between both sets of managers." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that had already been extended, saw it in the roundup the other day, strange.

Howard's way forward unclear

United States international Tim Howard admits he is unsure whether his future will lie with Everton or Manchester United at the end of his season-long loan at Goodison Park.

The Red Devils goalkeeper has been in impressive form since joining The Toffees over the summer, conceding 12 goals in 13 appearances with the Merseyside outfit so far this season.

Howard has cemented his position as number one choice for David Moyes, but his long-term future remains in doubt as it will be Sir Alex Ferguson who has the final say regarding his destiny.

In Howard's absence, United have recruited Tomas Kuszczak from West Brom, whilst they also boast on-loan Watford shot stopper Ben Foster on their books, and both could act as further cover behind Edwin van der Sar next season.

With competition likely to be strong at Old Trafford, Howard's first team prospects could be better served by a permanent switch to Merseyside, but the American insists no decision has been made - leaving him somewhat in the dark about his future.

"Long term, I don't really know [what the future holds]," said Howard.

"I truly think decisions are going to be taken out of my hands.

"I think my opinion will count for something but it is a long season and I am sure Everton and Manchester United will make decisions that need to be made.

"If my input is wanted I am sure I will be asked.

"I am definitely enjoying it here but it is difficult to tell the future." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's finished at OT for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Team news for Celtic

"I'll make a couple of changes for Tuesday (to freshen things up)." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're screwed then.

I'm pretty sure I posted an article where Fergie said he'd definitely not make any changes for our next CL game and instead play our strongest team. fo fergie uc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

excellent team

shutup bbb, i'm going to predict a 5-0 thrashing just to counter that jinx. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can thank me later btw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

He's finished at OT for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed, but tbf from what ive seen and read hes been playin quite well for Everton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to rule out bringing in striking reinforcements during the transfer window.

The Red Devils are currently top of the league as well as the Premiership goalscoring charts, but with Alan Smith struggling for form after his lengthy absence and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer currently suffering from a hamstring injury, United have been rumoured to be planning a winter recruitment drive.

Ferguson has been constantly linked with a move for Atletico Madrid star Fernando Torres, and the Scot may decide to enter the transfer market to provide more competition for current first choice partnership Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney.

The Scot was unsurprisingly unwilling to talk about targets following the 2-1 win over Sheffield United, but seemed to leave the door open to potential transfer manoeuvres in the New Year.

"How many times have I bought players in January?" smiled Ferguson.

"Okay. There were a few. We will have to see what happens."

Although Saha was firmly in the shadow of Rooney on Saturday, with the England star bagging a brace against The Blades, the former Fulham man has played a crucial role at Old Trafford this season.

After seemingly ending the string of injuries that have afflicted him at times during his stay in Manchester, Ferguson is now hopeful that Saha can stay out of the treatment room for the rest of the season.

"As we keep saying about Louis, we have to keep him fit," Ferguson added. "That is the key for him.

"He had a terrible spell when he first came here. He got injuries playing for France and one with us last summer in Japan that kept him out for four months.

"But when he came back he immediately started to score goals, first in the League Cup, then he had a good run in the league.

"His ratio of goals per game is healthy and he is a very important player for us."

United's 2-1 win over The Blades leaves them three points clear at the top of the table ahead of a huge week in which The Red Devils will travel to Scotland to play Celtic before taking on Chelsea in The Premiership.

Ferguson is typically looking forward to the two clashes, insisting he is pleased United have a high-profile UEFA Champions League game before their Premiership showdown.

"The Chelsea game is obviously gathering arms and legs at the moment," said the Scot.

"It will be built up and built up right until kick-off time, so it is a good thing we have this really important match coming up on Tuesday.

"I am sure the players are aware how important this week is.

"I don't think you can avoid it.

"We know who is on our coat-tails in the league at this moment but we know we must be consistent over the remaining 25 games.

"If we can achieve that, we have a fantastic chance in the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huntelaar or Bent kthnx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I wonder if it's the same as last season where me and only me said that we would win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will not lose ! icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Team news for Celtic

"I'll make a couple of changes for Tuesday (to freshen things up)." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're screwed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we bloody go again.

Stop this now, young Matt. It's not good for your health. icon_wink.gif

urgh, I just remembered this horrible nightmare I had last night... it was like I was watching a football game on TV.. and a riot started in the stadium.

Somehow the players got up into the stands and were being hounded by the nutter fans... I was watching Scholes get the living daylights beaten out of him and he had this HUGE lump on the side of his head... they just kept smashing him in the face and I think I watched him die just before I woke up ://///

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Eddie, stop with the space before the ! it looks stupid icon_frown.gif

Oh and I'll try to be on time next week \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On time for what ? ( icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif )

I have no ticket yet, so it'll make no difference to me until I've got one. icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I think Carrick will score against Chelsea and his odds lately for first goal scorer have been high. The odds might be even higher because its against Chelsea... might be a decent bet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you old enough to bet ? icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Carrick's shooting really isnt that bad (as some have alluded to).. its just he rarely gets a chance with the way we're set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is that bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Carrick's shooting really isnt that bad (as some have alluded to).. its just he rarely gets a chance with the way we're set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is that bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it isn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I think Carrick will score against Chelsea and his odds lately for first goal scorer have been high. The odds might be even higher because its against Chelsea... might be a decent bet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you old enough to bet ? icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Legally no, but have you seen it at United, no one is bothered aslong as I have money in my hand. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

No, it isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet you a pint(Not that we will ever meet but still) that Gary Neville scores before Carrick.

There is a reason his scoring record is so awful and thats because he cant shoot to save his life. The times he does get in a good position you will see he usually makes a hash of the shot.

He had a decent shot yesterday in the second half iirc, don't remember any other occasions this season of him shooting. I fancy him to get one against Chelsea next week for some reason. And Neville could of had a hat-trick against Pompey and one yesterday. Carrick's shooting > Neville's shooting.

No, it isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet you a pint(Not that we will ever meet but still) that Gary Neville scores before Carrick.

There is a reason his scoring record is so awful and thats because he cant shoot to save his life. The times he does get in a good position you will see he usually makes a hash of the shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll hold you to that virtual pint.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

We're screwed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we bloody go again.

Stop this now, young Matt. It's not good for your health. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your overconfidence will be your downfall icon_frown.gif

Celtic have what, won 15 of their last 16 home CL games against some of the best teams in the world etc. It's going to be an incredibly tough game, as is Sunday.

Hence I'd snatch your hand off for two draws.

Archived