The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

the fact that we can draw and still go through fills me with SO much dread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, exactly.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

the fact that we can draw and still go through fills me with SO much dread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i do the "we'll be bafflingly overconfident and go out to a team that 'just wanted it more'" post again?

I think I cried after Scholes' penalty in the FA Cup Final btw. Not full on bawling, more like Native American 'you killed our land' crying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

can i do the "we'll be bafflingly overconfident and go out to a team that 'just wanted it more'" post again?

I think I cried after Scholes' penalty in the FA Cup Final btw. Not full on bawling, more like Native American 'you killed our land' crying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fell to the floor at Walkabout in Cardiff, Carter had to carry me out, utterly heartbroken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

just look at Kuffour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He had played brilliantly that night, I actually felt sorry for him when he was thumping the pitch with his fist.

i can't decide whether it would've been worse being a bayern fan or a milan fan

after 'that' game i had the unfortunate chance to spend the next three hours with a bunch of liverpool fans which was understandably dire. then i saw a bloke wearing a milan shirt, head down, walking past. i felt his pain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I fell to the floor at Walkabout in Cardiff, Carter had to carry me out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gregg slipping Rohypnol in your drink?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

He had played brilliantly that night, I actually felt sorry for him when he was thumping the pitch with his fist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Lothar Matthaus

honestly, in terms of 2 sides to every story, it probably couldnt get worse than the cl final 99 if you're a bayern fan. **** me that must have hurt icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or Milan in 05 icon_frown.gif

Actually, the 'two late goals thing' happened to us against Deportivo in just a group game a few years later, didn't it? Remember feeling awful after that, then thinking 'what if I were a Bayern fan'?

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

I was the ONLY one in the pub not happy about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my best mate "I got caught up in the moment", get ****ed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

He had played brilliantly that night, I actually felt sorry for him when he was thumping the pitch with his fist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Lothar Matthaus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'What must Lothat Matthaus be thinking? With all due respect, who cares?' icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

my best mate "I got caught up in the moment", get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, exactly.

I heard the same excuse from some.. for me "the moment" was just hellishly horrible.

Especially with a loudmouth tw*t scouser standing right behind me who had earlier in the evening forced a United fan to abandon the pub just by constantly hurling abuse at him.

I won £625 from the result, it was the day of my last ever uni exam and I was still absolutely devasted. Had such a row with my girlfriend who was happy because of the money and told me I was 'stupid' for wanting Milan to win.

i felt ****ing sick that night. still remember to this day, walking out onto the balcony and shouting out CUUUUUUUUUNT at the top of my voice into the night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

'What must Lothat Matthaus be thinking? With all due respect, who cares?' icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping someone would quote that icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

With Milan I found that the first leg hurt more than the second. Bloody Carroll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you knew it was coming though. it got to the point where any time the ball came into the box you'd think 'oh jesus no carroll please don't'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

'What must Lothat Matthaus be thinking? With all due respect, who cares?' icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping someone would quote that icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

with the greatest of respect tbh

with the greatest <STRIKE>of</STRIKE> respect tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbph icon_smile.gif

with the greatest of respect tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I also knew something wasn't quite right with it.. couldnt remember what though :/

ah 'appy days

same excuse for my mate that I brought to the Celtic game, went to Anfailed with his mrs and sang YNWA.

aids>>>>being bummed by richardson>>>>>cheering the vermin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't you mean ex-mate?

same excuse for my mate that I brought to the Celtic game, went to Anfailed with his mrs and sang YNWA.

aids>>>>being bummed by richardson>>>>>cheering the vermin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can we cheer the vermin if they sign Richardson off us for £10m? They signed one English winger with an over inflated ego and homohair for £7m, imagine what they'd pay for one with a few England caps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ferguson 'shocked' by Celtic Park defeat

Shell-shocked Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admitted his side's Champions League defeat at Celtic was 'hard to take'.

MikeEgerton/Empics

Manchester United's Louis Saha is consoled by Celtic's Kenny Miller.

The result, following on from the Red Devils' loss to FC Copenhagen in their last game means they will face Benfica in a last-day shoot-out for the second season running, knowing another defeat will dump them out of the group stage once more.

Louis Saha's last-minute penalty miss meant United failed to overturn Shunsuke Nakamura's stunning free-kick 10 minutes from time after Celtic had survived a prolonged pummelling to book their own place in the last 16.

'I am in shock,' said Ferguson.

'To be honest losing this game is very hard to take. It is disappointing because we have thrown it away by not scoring goals to win the match.

'We didn't do enough in the last third of the field and that is what can happen in football if you don't take your chances.'

United's task in a fortnight's time is slightly easier than it was last season given on that occasion they needed to travel to the Stadium of Light and win.

At least this time the Red Devils only need a point on home soil to qualify, with Ferguson believing his team will get it.

'Our home form has been very good,' he said.

'I have no worries on that score. We have to be a bit more aggressive and take our chances.

'Unfortunately we have a couple of big matches to play before then.

'We can focus on those and put the Champions League on the back burner.'

Ferguson was referring to Sunday's crucial Premiership encounter with Chelsea at Old Trafford, when a win will put United six points clear at the top of the table.

However, before then he faces a major test to lift Saha's spirit in particular.

Lethal since replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy as United's first choice striker this season, the Frenchman's nerve failed him when it mattered.

Not only did he miss from the spot on a night when Van Nistelrooy also missed a late penalty but had already scored, Saha also blew a major chance when he believed he had been flagged offside when in fact play had been waved on.

'Louis thought he heard a whistle,' conceded Ferguson.

'Louis is obviously disappointed to miss the penalty but the players will help to lift him because we are all together at this club.

'There are no problems with the boy. I am sure he will miss another penalty in his career at some point.

'Understandably, the players are disappointed. We have five days to lift them but if we want to win the league we have to show character and I am sure we will.'

Ferguson insisted despite the result his team had not failed in his home city, believing they had come as close as it was possible to becoming only the second side to defeat Celtic at Parkhead in the Champions League.

'Benfica came here and melted in that atmosphere, we didn't,' he said.

'Historically, we have always had to do things the hard way at this football club. It looks like we will have to do it the hard way again.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No Man Utd approach for Bent, say Addicks

Charlton Athletic chief executive Peter Varney has insisted Darren Bent will not be sold in the January transfer window.

The 22-year-old striker, who has scored six of the Addicks' nine Premiership goals this season, has been linked with a move away from The Valley, possibly to Old Trafford.

But Varney told the South London Press: 'Darren signed a new, improved four-year deal in the summer and we have no intention of selling him.

'He's a key part of our side and of our hopes of staying up.

'There have been no enquiries from Manchester United or anyone else for that matter.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon I'd survive if we didn't get Bent tbh. When the hell's Rossi back? And is he cup tied in Europe?

Not that it'll matter of course icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>January 1st, and no, Newcastle were told not to pick him in Europe. Unfortunately, they've decided to do the same in the league.

So, not the first time we’ve seen that happen recently is it? The vast majority of possession, preventing the opposition playing, total control and yet not a final ball capitalised on the entire game (though the proportion of viable final passes was probably only 10% at best regardless of how much we kept hold of it). I think these results are just are some of the hardest to take…especially when you’ve recorded the game, avoided the result because you're at work, and stayed up past 2am to watch it.

Anyway, the free-kick shouldn’t have been given in the first place but you can’t argue with the quality of Nakamura’s strike. Although Nick ventured to say that VDS may have a weakness from dead-ball situations, and tonight could be a shot in the arm for such a position, was I alone in trying to work out who was at the end of the wall and seemed to duck their head out of the flight path of the ball? I think it was Rooney by the way.

As for Saha’s penalty miss, I didn’t think he looked up for it all night and it wasn’t one of those strikes where there was the conviction or accuracy to get it in even if the keeper went the right way. I’m not so sure we didn’t get lucky with the decision in the first place as well. Dare I venture to say that we missed Ruud a little more than usual in this sort of contest? I can’t really imagine him fluffing the late chance that Rooney dinked in for him personally and that leads me back to Saha’s head being somewhere other than Parkhead this evening. With Ole out our options from the bench are clearly stretched in terms of game changers – O’Shea and Evra coming on were really desperation moves.

Rooney and Ronaldo had mirrored halves for me. Wayne was as influential in the first half as Ronny was ineffectual and until the last 5-10 minutes of the second half the two players swapped involvement levels when Rooney finally got into a couple of dangerous positions. Not really happy with either tonight to be honest, but then I can’t say that I’m happy with Giggsy either. Decent enough first 45 minutes where he made some cracking runs in behind, but nowhere after the break.

I don’t care if this is getting repetitive, but Scholes was our MOM for me again tonight, controlled our tempo along with Carrick ably at the heart of the side, and I’m just glad that he came out of that disgraceful tackle by Balde in the first half unscathed. Carrick I’m happy enough with but if I was going to level a minor criticism at both of our MCs, even though our other four attacking players (should) have plenty of movement, now and again there’s space for them to make themselves useful as the unseen option rather than sticking and probing from deep.

Outside of the free-kick I can’t fault our defenders. Well, now and again Vidic played some questionable back-passes, and Gabby is looking closer to 100% but still not quite there for me as shown by some of his execution. Gary is going to be missed if we have to send him for surgery but we just need him to get through Chelsea at the minute – I don’t want Robben/Cole/Kalou/Shevchenko playing up against O’Shea, and I do think Fergie would put him in at RB ahead of Wes at the minute in GNevs absence. Incidentally I thought Rio had a very good game marshalling VoH out of the match and keeping the back-line in check. VDS dealt with the minor stuff without a fuss as per, and outside of the near impossible to save free-kick can’t be faulted really.

MOM: Paul Scholes

2ND: Rio Ferdinand

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not that it'll matter of course </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're in Europe after Xmas whatever happens against Benfica. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps Fergie's been fancying the UEFA Cup all along and these past few years have just been failed attempts to sneak into that?

UEFA Cup is the peoples cup - far more inclusive than that CL, Fergies a man of the people and clearly wants to stimulate his base support with a good run as well as tick off another cup he hasn't yet got on his resume.

Anti-establishment attitudes > *

Just out of interest, I haven't a clue who is primed to be in the UEFA after Christmas, could we take them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Dare I venture to say that we missed Ruud a little more than usual in this sort of contest? I can’t really imagine him fluffing the late chance that Rooney dinked in for him personally and that leads me back to Saha’s head being somewhere other than Parkhead this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically though Ruud also missed a late penalty and a chance to win the game for Real.

It was gutting as people have said because United were better and looked in control. However, if the penalty had gone in, all would have been forgotten and Fergie would claim that his game plan had worked.

It didn't. English teams (and most other teams) cannot play this style of containing football. It just sets up the contest for someone who's got quality but has done nothing all night to go out and win it. United are only good when they attack the opposition. We must go straight for the jugular against Benfica and basically just steamroll them.

yeah, exactly.

I heard the same excuse from some.. for me "the moment" was just hellishly horrible.

Especially with a loudmouth tw*t scouser standing right behind me who had earlier in the evening forced a United fan to abandon the pub just by constantly hurling abuse at him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I felt happy for Liverpool fans in the general sense that I thought what a feeling it must be for any fan of any team to win in that manner, and in the sense it brought back memories of 1999 and these type of experiences are what make football so great.

Of course I was gutted that Liverpool as a club had won the CL and that their fans would feel so bloody superior.

So last night eh, ****ing typical for us to take it easy against Copenhagen and then watch things turn worryingly bad. I still think we will qualify but you never know.

We should have fielded a full strength side against Copenhagen and wrapped up the group to allow us to field weakened teams in the next two if wanted. We didnt and now this has gone against us.

The game itself was one where we started slow which i always hate because then if you need to raise your you cant. I'd rather a fast start and put teams to bed luike we were doing in the league and then relazing into a slow pace.

We controlled the game from start to finish and were clearly the better side. I think we were taking it easy both because we could and we have Chelsea on Sunday. It clearly seemed to be the game plan and Celtic were more than happy to sit back and just hoof it long to our defenders.

VDS himself cant be faulted. I think he is awful with free kicks, be it setting up his way to getting across to them but last nights was unstoppable. The minute it was given i knew it was going in.

The defence wasnt really troubled at all. Heinze was goodalthough i prefer Evra in the attacking third, i just like Paddys one-two and overlap thing but i love Gaby and it will be great to see him back to fitness and reminding us all how good he is.

Neville spent the whole match in the Celtic half i think, he really loves getting forward these days. I think hes been in the box more this season than in the rest of his career combined.

The centre halfs were fine, Rio had a couple of moments were VoH seemed to get the better of him but they came to no harm and the foul for their goal wasnt a foul in my eyes. I dont think Vidic touches him.

The midfield was good. Scholes had everything going through him and was his usual good self, Carrick sat back and offered an outlet all the time even if he did panic once or twice and hit a few sloppy passes. Giggs did well with the movement and ideas but i didnt think his passing nd overall link play were on tonight. Ronaldo was a fantastic outlet as always with some great runs.

With the forwards i thought Rooney a bit poor but that was more due to his position in my eyes. Saha was also a bit poor but i think he would have done better with another man up there taking defenders away.

We did win the penalty which i still havent seen a picture of so cant tell if it was handball or not but i just had that feeling Saha would miss.

As far as i know i think Ronaldo was elected to take our spot kicks when we sold Ruud and i would like him to take them now. Saha took one in his absence and scored so he got to take the next and the next but he goes to the same spot everytime with a lazy arsed side foot. I always think you give the keeper more of a chance with a slow placed side foot.

These things happen though, you dominate a game and lose, they dont happen often but it id last night. I was hoping to console myself with Ronaldo getting star man because i did think it between him and Scholes but the Sun gave it to Nakamura. Did they not watch the game? I thought Star Man went to the best player not someone who did **** all for 90 minutes and then scored a stunning free kick.

Hopefully the tempo is back against Chelsea and we play to win instead of having an Arsenal play to stop them scoring and hope to nick a goal thing.

Oh MoM...

MoM: Cristiano Ronaldo

2nd: Paul Scholes (Was very close between the two)

And whats with the Saha bashing? Yeah he is a bit poor one on one but whats with acting like he is rubbish and all this talk about Ruud?

The simple fact is Saha is having a very good season and the team is a lot better with him than without.

Anyone think it was naive defending by Vidic to give away the free kick? When you go to ground from behind on a player in that sort of area whether you get the ball from the side or not and make any sort of contact you have to expect them to go over. He could've stayed on his feet and marshalled it that way.

I'm just nit picking really.

honestly the only thing within our control that annoyed me last night was the lack of urgency. we just seemed content to chill after half time on the understanding we were cruising for a draw which we obv should have got but still.

the saha miss/lack of effort infuriated me more than the joke free kick decision because its such a schoolboy error to make.

bring on sunday now.

Archived