The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

"2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate?"

I was barely on OTF in August anyway since I was experiencing, em, 'career difficulties'. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 'quality >> quantity' comment was not in opposition to my heaps of posts during that period in case you've gotten the wrong idea there. icon_razz.gif

Sad to hear that snipes. Things sorted anois? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and no. But mostly no icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

I was the ONLY one in the pub not happy about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my best mate "I got caught up in the moment", get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, exactly.

I heard the same excuse from some.. for me "the moment" was just hellishly horrible.

Especially with a loudmouth tw*t scouser standing right behind me who had earlier in the evening forced a United fan to abandon the pub just by constantly hurling abuse at him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That could have been me. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Celtic captain Neil Lennon has revealed that his Manchester United counterpart Gary Neville predicted Louis Saha's late penalty miss at Parkhead on Tuesday.

The Bhoys were brought down to earth following the exhilarating highs of Shunsuke Nakamura's super free-kick when United were awarded a controversial late penalty for a handball by Shaun Maloney.

Saha took on the responsibility from 12 yards, despite missing a gilt-edged opening only minutes earlier, but he passed up the chance to book United's ticket to the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as Artur Boruc pushed his effort away to safety.

Lennon was still basking in the glory of victory and qualification when he revealed Neville had predicted Saha's miss from the spot.

"Gary Neville actually came across to me and said about Saha, 'his head has gone, he's going to miss this," Lennon said in The Guardian.

Following Saha's miss, The Red Devils need to avoid defeat to Benfica in their final game in Group F to book their passage into the last 16.

Should have done something about it then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't believe he told Lennon that at all, but if Gaz was really thinking that he should have stepped in as captain and given the ball to someone else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Dare I venture to say that we missed Ruud a little more than usual in this sort of contest? I can’t really imagine him fluffing the late chance that Rooney dinked in for him personally and that leads me back to Saha’s head being somewhere other than Parkhead this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically though Ruud also missed a late penalty and a chance to win the game for Real.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't the penalty miss that was the issue prompting my comment. Its purely because I think that when we are in control of games like that & the tempo isn't really high, I do think that Ruud would have been more likely than Saha to find one space on the edge of the box to move into and take a chance, even if it was his only one for 90mins & the late Rooney dink into Saha is exactly what I'm talking about as such a chance.

I'm not bashing Saha overall because in general this season our football has been much improved and his performances have been an important part of our successful transition to a vibrant & versatile counter-attacking style. It doesn't mean I or anyone else is saying OMGZ RUUD > * > BELLAMY > SAHA, but the criticism of his workrate and lackadaisical attitude last night is valid and its not the first time he's not really been on the park for us this season and with the responsibility that comes from being our only fit out-and-out striker that can't happen.

@ Taz: Can I just ask which moments specifically you feel VoH got the better of Rio? I personally can't recall him getting more than 3 touches for 90 mins & none of them dangerous.

Also your justification for Ronaldo being MOM is seemingly that he was a "great outlet", but can I ask whether his (in all fairness along with everyone else in this case), lack of a final ball detracts from any benefit of him making 4-5 second half runs at the defenders in your eyes? He wasn't at the races in the first half and started to make in-roads at Naylor in the second but even after the break he didn't have things his own way. Factor in another couple of the 25 or so free-kicks he's going to have to miss before we get another scorcher from him & I'm leaning more towards it being one of those frustrating evenings from him where we get half the package we need. Getting the ball and running at people with nothing to show from it, not even working the keeper himself (again I know he's not alone in that) when he's got within shooting distance - like when Balde messed up 25 yards out and he stole it for a free run in at Boruc and didn't really connect being a prime example. I know Balde was bearing down but I don't think he shaped himself properly or anything after he received it. Anyway, my point is that I'm not sure how you're justifying him being our best player last night, but we all see things in different ways and you'll probably have 20 things to nit-pick about my Scholes/Rio choices in response.

And for a couple of other points that have been raised; yes GNev should have had a word if he wasn't sure his head was right for it, and yes at times Vidic, for all that he projects imperiousness does on occasion throw the odd rash challenge in.

Some clubs must have won all three before but I doubt any have done so with one single manager at the helm & vice-versa there are probably 3-4 managers who have all three to their name but not all with one club. The fact that the CWC was incorporated into the UEFA Cup a while back now helps narrow the list of potential candidates some.

Okay, thanks to World Soccer noting Fergie reaching 20 years at the helm this month there's a sidebar about record-breaking managers, and with regards to theis' query Giovanni Trapattoni & Udo Lattek have both won all three trophies and are the only two managers to have done so.

The former achieved this feat during his spell/s with Juventus & holds the record of 6 European club trophies inc. the Super Cup (Fergie is on 5) and the latter won the 3 trophies in question at Bayern (CL), Borussia MGB (UEFA) & Barcelona (CWC).

So there you have it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

but the criticism of his workrate and lackadaisical attitude last night is valid and its not the first time he's not really been on the park for us this season and with the responsibility that comes from being our only fit out-and-out striker that can't happen.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to correspond with what Nick said a few weeks ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

but the criticism of his workrate and lackadaisical attitude last night is valid and its not the first time he's not really been on the park for us this season and with the responsibility that comes from being our only fit out-and-out striker that can't happen.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to correspond with what Nick said a few weeks ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great minds blah, blah, blah...

Manchester United v Everton, Wednesday 29 November, kick off 8pm

We have a small number of tickets available and these can be purchased by One United Members only by telephoning 0870 442 1999 weekdays from 9am to 5pm (subject to availability).

If you have not yet renewed your Membership and would like to apply for match tickets please telephone 0870 442 1994, option 5 or visit One United

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Manchester United v Everton, Wednesday 29 November, kick off 8pm

We have a small number of tickets available and these can be purchased by One United Members only by telephoning 0870 442 1999 weekdays from 9am to 5pm (subject to availability).

If you have not yet renewed your Membership and would like to apply for match tickets please telephone 0870 442 1994, option 5 or visit One United </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for the info Mart, just need to try and get rid of a shift next week now and I'll be in with a shout of making it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

*smash* *shatter* *tinkle* goes mark's glasshouse. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I more work on the theory that he's the only one i can say that about, in the same way that Eddie's the only one i can call for being old. So i have to take those few opportunitites when i get them icon_biggrin.gif

*smash* *shatter* *tinkle* goes mark's glasshouse. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

</pre>

*I don't usually do posts that just have a "icon_biggrin.gif" in them, but I thought this was funny enough to warrent one. Of course, these explanatory sentences kind of destroy it anyway.

I've said it before, i'll say it again - i'd rather have Willem Dafoe upfront than that overrated midget Jermain.

Bent > Defoe, neither are good enough but I wouldn't be overly upset with the former coming in for a reasonable fee. Seeing as he's English and young, there'll be precisely zero chance of that.

Still completely at a loss as to how we lost last night icon_mad.gif

Loving the media today banging on about how the Parkhead cauldron of noise put the Old Trafford prawn-sandwich munchers to shame. Would have been journalism at it's most clichéd and predictable even if it had been true - as it is, I suspect most of those comments were prepared in advance.

Which match were you watching? They were loud at the start but we soon shut them up, and it wasn't until the goal/penalty save that they found their voices again. James was there and has said as much.

Believing the hype ifs. They're like the scottish newcastle.

Actually, they take all the worst qualities from most of the sets of fans I despise most - Newcastle's 'we're the bestest fans eva' tendencies, Citeh's penchant for lies and exaggeration, the neanderthal element of Leeds and most of the same songs as Liverpool. Throw in a healthy sprinkling of bigotry and it's quite a combination.

that's all people are saying as far as i can see :/

he just seems to have the odd game where he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. there was another one earlier in the season which really annoyed me, can't remember which one now and arguably the fact that these are isolated lapses rather than a general poor attitude makes it more frustrating.

while i'm here, forgot my mom's for last night:

1st - Paul Scholes

2nd - Nemanja Vidic - just pips Rio for me, and it's really irritating me the way people are trying to excuse Jarosik and the ref by saying Vidic 'didn't need to make the tackle', or whatever. He won the ball and didn't touch the man, which completely vindicated his decision to make the tackle. If we're going to start blaming people because they did something right instinctively but in doing so failed to weigh up how likely the player being tackled is to dive and how likely the ref is to fall for it/be influenced by the home crowd, then football's dead

Nick - I thought it sounded a lot better than OT does. Whether that was because our fans were there aswell (usually our away support is better than our home 'support') or that Celtic lived upto their media hype, I can't tell as I was only listening to it (hate not having a TV at the moment). But I must be honest and say it seemed like certain people from this thread couldn't wait to jump on anyone mentioning the atmosphere.

Take the second half of the Fulham game, the game was dead as a contest, and the crowd matched it, infact the majority of the noise from the East Stand that second half was directed at the Fulham fans who were still making a reasonable amount of noise even at 4-1 down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick - I thought it sounded a lot better than OT does. Whether that was because our fans were there aswell (usually our away support is better than our home 'support') or that Celtic lived upto their media hype, I can't tell as I was only listening to it (hate not having a TV at the moment). But I must be honest and say it seemed like certain people from this thread couldn't wait to jump on anyone mentioning the atmosphere.

Take the second half of the Fulham game, the game was dead as a contest, and the crowd matched it, infact the majority of the noise from the East Stand that second half was directed at the Fulham fans who were still making a reasonable amount of noise even at 4-1 down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that was Fulham at home. I dare say an equivalent game for Celtic - say Dunfermline at home or something - would be equally flat.

Games always seem louder on the radio than on TV and, especially, than when there in real life. Watching on tv last night, the only time there was genuine noise was right at the start and then at the end with all the incidents. There were looooooong periods of relative silence in between, and the commentators made it worse by jerking off every time the Celtic fans piped up, even though you'd not heard a peep out of them for the past ten minutes.

Obviously you can't tell exactly what it's like by watching on tv, but I'll take James' word for it - iirc 'no better than your average big Premiership fixture for the most part' were his words.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i think its more to do with the fact that he's a confidence player, and its more that doing something bad like missing a good chance gets his head down rather than him thinking 'i cant be arsed today' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well tbf his chance and then the penner both came in the last ten minutes, and his relative lethargy was apparent much earlier than that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i think its more to do with the fact that he's a confidence player, and its more that doing something bad like missing a good chance gets his head down rather than him thinking 'i cant be arsed today' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well tbf his chance and then the penner both came in the last ten minutes, and his relative lethargy was apparent much earlier than that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it doesnt necessarily take missing a chance to get one's head down.

but yeh he was awful last night, but he has played basically every game he's been fit for this season, it would help if we actually had any strikers to bring on in his place. richardson as our only attacking sub just so ****ing frustrating

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

2nd - Nemanja Vidic - just pips Rio for me, and it's really irritating me the way people are trying to excuse Jarosik and the ref by saying Vidic 'didn't need to make the tackle', or whatever. He won the ball and didn't touch the man, which completely vindicated his decision to make the tackle. If we're going to start blaming people because they did something right instinctively but in doing so failed to weigh up how likely the player being tackled is to dive and how likely the ref is to fall for it/be influenced by the home crowd, then football's dead </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sol Campbell says hi.

eeeeeerrrm, that's awful nice of him

i can only assume you're referring to the Rooney dive a couple of seasons back? not sure what your point is, i wouldn't apportion any blame in that incident to Campbell either (although he didn't get the ball and dangled his leg out pretty stupidly, Wayne clearly dives).

Archived