The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Mart, don't forget, if he makes it and meets you at the wall, don't ask him a question or you won't get in the ground 'til the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooooh Mark made a funny!

For what its worth I'm in no way as verbose in "real life" and especially around new people I'm not going to be overly chatty.

Not looking likely for me to be honest unfortunately, only two people are available to take my shift and neither are likely to take on the extra hours on a **** day of the week to be in but I'll try all the same. Neither were in tonight either so that kinda put a spanner in the works as well.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The morning after the night before, and Manchester United were still coming to terms yesterday with an evening when Sir Alex Ferguson was the one Glaswegian at Parkhead whose blood had not been converted to red wine. Ferguson talked about his players "throwing away" the tie and his face hardened when a radio reporter asked him whether he was angry with his players. "I'm not angry with anyone," he replied with his most withering stare. "Maybe with you for asking such stupid questions."

Ferguson, suffice to say, did not enjoy coming off second-best to Gordon Strachan, particularly when he considered the potential repercussions of losing to Celtic. The visit of Benfica on December 6 should not inspire too much trepidation given that United have not lost a Champions League group game at Old Trafford since October 2001 but, after winning their opening three Group F matches, Ferguson is entitled to be aggrieved that qualification has gone down to the wire.

Part of that anger might be directed towards himself, bearing in mind his mistake in resting half his first-choice team when United played FC Copenhagen earlier this month, another match they lost 1-0. The events in Glasgow might have been largely irrelevant for United had Ferguson fielded a full-strength team in Denmark and they had taken the point that was needed to qualify.

Otherwise his main irritation seemed to derive from his players' inability to be more penetrative in attack. In that respect Louis Saha found himself grazing in the scapegoats' paddock yesterday. The Frenchman was apologetic, but the damage to his confidence will not be repaired by the revelations that Gary Neville had correctly guessed he would fail with his 89th-minute penalty. Neville appeared to question Saha's nerve, telling the Celtic captain, Neil Lennon, "His head has gone," an astonishing remark for a player of his status to make and one that will do little to ease his team-mate's anguish going into Sunday's game with Chelsea.

The striker needed consoling by his team-mates and spoke about "living in a nightmare", describing it as one of the most harrowing experiences of his career. "I cannot believe what has happened. I just want to wake up from it. It was a difficult night for everyone but I have to admit I am really sorry for my performance. I need to survive from that. I've said sorry to everyone but a thousand sorrys won't change anything."

In mitigation, it was the first occasion this season when Saha has failed to live up to the demands of replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy. Ferguson has placed a lot of confidence in the France international and will be dismayed by Neville's remarks, which have not been denied. Saha had failed to score when clean through five minutes earlier, wrongly believing he might have been offside, and Neville seemed to cast doubt on whether the striker had the strength of character to cope.

A throwaway remark it may have been but it carries significance considering the battles ahead, starting this weekend. Saha has had a tremendous season but, rightly or wrongly, the comments attributed to Neville will raise questions about whether he is capable of flourishing when the pressure is at its most extreme. There are similarities to the situation recalled by Roy Keane of a player shaking with nerves as the Champions League music blared out before the second leg of the 2002 semi-final against Bayer Leverkusen.

It is unfair, however, for too much blame to be apportioned to one player. United have now lost three successive cup matches 1-0 and, though the damage may be superficial, it is intriguing when compared with their imperious league form.

"We have only ourselves to blame," Ryan Giggs reflected. "Celtic hardly got our of their own half in the first half but when you are on top you have to take your opportunities and we did not do that. Now we have to play Benfica again and it won't be easy."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw, who was it that keane was referring to that was shaking with nerves before leverkusen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was led to believe it was Giggs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw, who was it that keane was referring to that was shaking with nerves before leverkusen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Beckham maybe he gets the nerves badly (throwing up before big england games ect)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

btw, who was it that keane was referring to that was shaking with nerves before leverkusen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was led to believe it was Giggs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty sure it wasn't giggs, i heard it was van nistelrooy or rio?

And today in the Mirror...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TORRES UP FOR £25M

MANCHESTER UNITED boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made a new move for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres - but has been told the price is a stunning £25million.

Now the Old Trafford money men are deciding whether to meet the valuation in January.

Fergie has resumed a quest to sign the Spain star, 22, as he realises they need more firepower to win the title.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No ****, Alex...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

btw, who was it that keane was referring to that was shaking with nerves before leverkusen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Beckham maybe he gets the nerves badly (throwing up before big england games ect) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

During as well if you remember the world cup icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Giggs -

'It is Benfica again. We know what we have to do and we will be ready for that. Maybe it makes it easier that they have to win. A draw will do us. They will have to come out and attack us. But we are at home and we know what we have to do. Hopefully we can do it.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it begins

Lets take an example of a signing surely some of us thought

WTF is he doing in a United shirt?

Dwight Yorke.

oh and wp Giggs, I look forward to playing for a draw, them scoring and then sticking 10 men behind the ball \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

I look forward to his "We were unlucky, these things happen, we've got to get better as a team" follow-up article one week from now. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"We'll have a crack at the almost unique achievment of completing the full set of european trophies"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Giggs is right tbf.

I'm reasonably confident that we'll make it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blatant alias

Archived