The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

No scouse songs, ffs. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"2 times" and "Murderers" will probably be sang all game, with a bit of "Steve Gerrard, Gerrard" in there aswell. icon_frown.gif

Peter Reid on Soccer Saturday saying he would have had Ronaldo taking the pen against Celtic because like everyone else had a feeling Saha would miss.

Jeff Stelling then taking the p!ss out of Ronaldo and saying he isnt good enough to take penalties and then using his Sheff United miss to prove his point. Twat.

Shame everyone was English in the studio because it would have been nice of someone to point out that When Portugal met England this summer his penalty taking skills looked rather good.

Yeah I can remember a fair few that he's taken for Portugal, in pressure situations too.

With Saha I'm not going to be too harsh as I think it was the first one that he's missed for us, the worst thing wasn't the miss the other night, it was the inevitability of it all.

And Rooney missed two for Everton and then one for us against Palace IIRC, hardly a great record.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Should let Vida take them tbh, he'd scare the ball into flying into the net </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah he'd just stare at the keeper and the keeper would run away leaving the simple task of rolling the ball in the net.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Who's on beer duties tomorrow FFS icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta for reminding me i have stella in my boot still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Some people are rumbling about a lack of strength in depth for United and whether Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs can still play two high-pressure games in a week. Personally, I think their squad is every bit as strong as Chelsea's. You only have to look at the decision to allow Alan Smith to go out on loan to see that they must be happy with their squad.

And as for Scholes and Giggs, these are supreme professionals who look after themselves magnificently well. A top-of-the-table clash will provide them with all the adrenalin they could possibly need.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy Gray so deluded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie on Saha and penalties

Friday, November 24, 2006

"Louis is fine but we have not decided yet whether he will carry on taking the penalties" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a vote of confidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I've seen Ronaldo take a few pens for Club and Country and all seemed to be despatched with great power and accuracy. I havent heard or seen him miss one.

I'm not a fan of Sahas pens or Rooneys who i can remember taking and missing one for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, had a really weak pen saved in a 5-2 win over Palace the weekend before christmas 2004. He did score in the Cup Final shootout last year though iirc.

I'd definitely go with Ronaldo for pens. He's the sort of person who positively thrives on pressure situations like that - he's scored penalties in huge games at international level, and he's 2/2 for us I think.

As for Louis, it might seem a bit harsh to take the job away from him considering he's still 2/3, but both the ones he's scored have been into the same corner and really telegraphed (you could tell from his run up where he was putting it every time), with Boruc and Given both getting damn close to saving them. Sooner or later he was going to come unstuck taking them that way - I'm not sure if he's got the nous to vary the way he takes them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

If any ones bored you can listen to FC Uniteds game over at www.fcum.tv </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember when all they had was text message updates on the forum icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

If any ones bored you can listen to FC Uniteds game over at www.fcum.tv </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember when all they had was text message updates on the forum icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>thats all we had until last week icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I always hit my pens that way on PES because Ruud did icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Well when it's Ruud taking one on PES anyway.. ALWAYS go bottom left.

Although maybe vs Arsenal go the other way :**)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, i can't say i'd be that keen on Scholesy taking them based on his past efforts, even though in theory someone of his technique, temperament and ball-striking ability should be the ideal penalty taker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But according to the United data on FM, he's by far and away our best penalty taker? And Ronaldo's rubbish? icon_confused.gif

Given the expert level of research that's so evident in the game, I'm inclined to trust this viewpoint tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

So yeah, it's Liverpool - City today.

What's the abbreviation again? loiarcp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

adalorcp \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, i can't say i'd be that keen on Scholesy taking them based on his past efforts, even though in theory someone of his technique, temperament and ball-striking ability should be the ideal penalty taker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But according to the United data on FM, he's by far and away our best penalty taker? And Ronaldo's rubbish? icon_confused.gif

Given the expert level of research that's so evident in the game, I'm inclined to trust this viewpoint tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a fair point icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

heh FM data supposedly not too great re: United then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's brilliant. Everyone who's seen Pique play knows for a fact he's the next Bobby Moore. Just like everyone who's seen Northern Irish international Jonathan Evans knows he's absolutely rubbish and not a prospect at all. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

No, it's brilliant. Everyone who's seen Pique play knows for a fact he's the next Bobby Moore. Just like everyone who's seen Northern Irish international Jonathan Evans knows he's absolutely rubbish and not a prospect at all. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey as much as Johnny Evans is underrated i will not have people slag of Pique to make that point. icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

No, it's brilliant. Everyone who's seen Pique play knows for a fact he's the next Bobby Moore. Just like everyone who's seen Northern Irish international Jonathan Evans knows he's absolutely rubbish and not a prospect at all. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey as much as Johnny Evans is underrated i will not have people slag of Pique to make that point. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is a 'tad' overrated though. Given that Fabio Cannavaro, the world's best defender, has a CA of 176, and Pique is pretty much guaranteed to reach 180+ . -10's are for your Fabregas's and Messi's only.

They got the averageness of David Jones right though icon_smile.gif

Archived