The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

haha wp pires </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has it made your year too? Bless :***********)

\o/ icon_biggrin.gif \o/ icon_biggrin.gif UNITED HAVE DROPPED TWO POINTS! \o/ icon_biggrin.gif \o/ icon_biggrin.gif

At least when we laugh at your team it has some merit, such as your inability to score from open play away from home and the current 14 point difference between our two teams. Pick your moment, son, pick your moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Watch Vidic in training, and he'll batter Louis Saha and then pick him up, as if to say, "This is my job, this is what I do." I'll be yelling from the touchline, "Watch the tackling, watch the tackling," and Vidic will shout, "Sorry boss, sorry boss." But he's not sorry at all, he just loves defending.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

love that !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Boss: We deserve to be top

Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with the efforts of United's players and supporters at Old Trafford, but conceded that a point was a better result for visitors Chelsea.

"It was a big opportunity for us. They got the little break you sometimes get, an owngoal from Louis Saha – it just touched the top of his head when I think Edwin had it covered. But these things happen in football and you just have to accept them.

"The most important thing is we’ve proved we deserve to be top of the league. I think the performance of the team in general was excellent. Some of the football we played was fantastic.

"We could have scored more goals but at the end of the day I’m pleased with the performance, with the effort of my players and the atmosphere inside the stadium.

"You’ll not get that anywhere else, the atmosphere was fantastic."

More quotes to follow... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

btw, twas an entertaining game. We were under immense pressure 2nd half and whilst it's frustrating to lose a lead I'm not that disappointed by the draw.

We did fairly well I thought.. defending was strong and can't think of many clear cut chances for Chelsea.

Ronaldo wfffb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

speaks volumes when Chelsea bring on Robben and Joe Cole and we bring on Fletcher and John O'Shea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Again, no attacking options on the bench whatsoever (I know fletcher can get forward, but arguably bringing him on for ANY of our midfield quartet is a more defensive move, save perhaps Carrick).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

speaks volumes when Chelsea bring on Robben and Joe Cole and we bring on Fletcher and John O'Shea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED V SL BENFICA, Wednesday 6 December, kick off 19:45

All tickets have now been sold, however we strongly recommend that you keep in touch with this site as there is a possibility that a further allocation of tickets could be released for sale on the lead up to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick won't be too happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED V SL BENFICA, Wednesday 6 December, kick off 19:45

All tickets have now been sold, however we strongly recommend that you keep in touch with this site as there is a possibility that a further allocation of tickets could be released for sale on the lead up to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick won't be too happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JOHN O'SHEA once told a story which revealed not only his own amiability, but the secret of his success and maybe his failure too.

One day he walked into the Manchester United canteen and, seeing Roy Keane eating alone, he sat opposite him. As he did, he looked over Keane's shoulder to see a number of United players waving furiously, trying to catch his attention. There was a reason that Keane was alone, a reason for the frantic waves. United players had learned over the years that there were days when Keane was to be left alone and days when it was possible to engage him, maybe not in banter, but in something close.

Keane was in a mood where he was better off without company, but O'Shea realised too late. He sat down and behaved normally. He would negotiate the storm.

Keane grew close to O'Shea in his final years at United and when he returned to international football. O'Shea's obvious intelligence, his relaxed manner and upbeat attitude seemed to appeal to Keane as he tried to quell the firestorms in his head.

O'Shea was a soothing presence when Brian Kerr persuaded Keane to return to international football. Keane, whose door had always been closed in the Irish team's hotel, took a new room partner, the first since Denis Irwin had retired. O'Shea was the man.

As Keane's wingman, he took some stick from the rest of the Irish squad, but if it was cutting it was never vicious. Nobody feels the need to be vicious about John O'Shea.

His affability serves a useful purpose at Manchester United. He spoke once about how he had always been determined to stay in favour with Alex Ferguson. "You'd see lads going into the bad books and it's not too often anyone gets out of there." O'Shea has stayed on the right side, battling through the system, always willing to play where he's asked, although he did admit once that he became complacent when he knew he would be playing.

That is no longer the case. If Manchester United are at full strength today, and if they are to beat Chelsea, John O'Shea will not be in the team. Two left-backs stand between him and the position where he played his best season for Manchester United. If Gary Neville is a doubt at right-back, the choice will be between O'Shea and Wes Brown. If Paul Scholes or Michael Carrick are missing, O'Shea may get his chance in midfield, even if it is hard to understand what he brings to that role.

As Ferguson chased the game, it appeared perplexing that O'Shea would be the man selected to save the day

At Parkhead last Tuesday, O'Shea came on for the final minutes. Ferguson did not have many options on the bench (Silvestre, Richardson, Evra, Fletcher and Brown were the other outfield subs. No match-winners there) but as he chased the game, it appeared perplexing that O'Shea would be the man selected to save the day.

He now stands for the frailty of Manchester United's title challenge, the reason - along with Darren Fletcher and Kieran Richardson - that they will look to bring Owen Hargreaves to the club as soon as possible.

O'Shea may one day reflect that he put Manchester United's cause ahead of his own, albeit with the cushion of a multi-million pound contract. He plays wherever he is selected, rarely complains and takes the abuse which is now becoming common among a section of his own supporters when he is selected.

He has come to be associated with the bad days at Manchester United. Alex Ferguson once said that he was the future of the club, but now O'Shea's appearances seem to coincide with the nights - Copenhagen, Southend - the club would rather forget.

The United supporters have noticed and O'Shea must learn to live with their hostility until he wins them back or, as seems more likely, leaves the club. It is hard to know if it has affected him.Richard Sadlier, the former Millwall striker, went through a stage in his career where he was the target for the notoriously unhappy fans in south London. "I wasn't able to block it out, some people say they can, but I'm not sure how they do because you can always hear it," he says.

"It's not just a football thing either, it affects you in social situations. If I saw someone in a Millwall shirt if I was out, I'd walk the other way just to make sure they didn't have a go at me."

Avoiding Manchester United shirts may be more difficult, but the hostility of the home crowd is difficult for a player who must still observe the customary platitudes.

"I've done that, come out with 'the crowd were marvellous today' and all the rest of it," says Sadlier. "But everybody in football knows that support is only conditional on performance, that the fans will be great if you're winning. It is more a test of the supporters' loyalty when a team or a player is playing badly."

After his first full season at United ended with a Premiership medal, it never appeared O'Shea would test that loyalty. He seemed destined to become the latest great Irish player at Manchester United. Immediately he was asked to do more, starting with Ireland's European Championship qualifier in Basel in 2003 where he started at centre-back. In attempting to control a long ball, O'Shea was too casual, Switzerland scored, went on to win and Ireland were out.

Later that season, he hesitated at Old Trafford in the last minute of their Champions League game against Porto, Costinha sneaked in, scored and Manchester United were out.

Since then, his long-term future at United has been unclear, despite signing a new contract last year.

Gabriel Heinze and Patrice Evra have been signed as left-backs and O'Shea waits patiently for another chance. He has become a more reserved character. He is more cautious of the press, something which may be more a part of Manchester United's nature than his own. The club were known to be unhappy when he was allowed to talk about United while travelling with Ireland.

While he has remained on good terms with Keane - he was one of the players who had his phone number at United - he was supposedly one of those criticised in the MUTV interview which ended Keane's Old Trafford career.

His career is stalled, promising only riches but maybe no longer success

O'Shea was able to dismiss the criticism publicly, although he was believed to have been deeply wounded by it. Still, he has never recovered the verve of that first season.

His performances for Ireland have disintegrated too, most recently against San Marino, and his career is stalled, promising only riches but maybe no longer success.

When O'Shea was left out of the Irish squad for the 2002 World Cup, Keane wasn't happy, remarking that if he was good enough for Manchester United, he was good enough for Ireland. Neither statement could be uttered with confidence today.

In that first season, when he won a league medal and it all seemed possible, O'Shea spent a Saturday lunchtime rampaging down the left at St James's Park. After O'Shea set up a fourth goal for Ryan Giggs, Ferguson leapt from the dug-out and pointed at O'Shea, as if to say, 'I told you he was the future of this club.'

John O'Shea may be too nice to ever make a big impression in Alex Ferguson's bad books, but he may be too nice as well for the great career which once seemed destined.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good article about him and his relationship with Keane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

sla, wp on wishing an injury on one of our players, twat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its any consolation, I wish injury on all your players. And Pennant.

Unhappy ? I wasn't. I may not have been full of the joys of Spring, but I wasn't unhappy..

Must've been one of two things.

1. Proximity of Old Bill meaning I couldn't spark my pre-game spliff up.

2. I needed a pish.

Chaving my beard off ? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Not a hope - razors have much better uses, tbh.

Btw, just caught up with the thread. Major malfunction in the old disk department. (Feck off Vista !!!!!)

Good game today. Never really thought we'd keep them from scoring, but was disappointed we didn't get another.

MoM: Carrick

2nd: Vida

Who's gonna be there on Wednesday ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

sla, wp on wishing an injury on one of our players, twat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its any consolation, I wish injury on all your players. And Pennant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All ? Not nice.

And here's me only hating on the two Scousers. Gerrard and No-Neck Bellamy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

...think jimlad said he might show as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't get a hold of either of the bints at work who could've taken my shift before the last of the tickets went so thats screwed me out of Weds I'm afraid. icon_frown.gif

Still not heard either way about Citeh so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and getting in touch with the TO tomorrow.

Agreed about the MOMs at the minute with Nick as well at the minute, need to see the highlights again to confirm Ronny as my number 2 man.

Carrick was aces today icon14.gif

Archived