The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

clownshoes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delivery not as good as the original Daaaaave. Null points.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if anyone saw this in the guardian "fiver" last week. I don't remember it being posted. This is fantastic if it's true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And Lee Sharpe has failed to live up to his surname by getting a pub quiz question about himself wrong. When asked to name the youngest player to represent England U21s before Theo Walcott, he scribbled down 'Michael Owen'. The answer? 'Lee Sharpe'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Don't know if anyone saw this in the guardian "fiver" last week. I don't remember it being posted. This is fantastic if it's true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And Lee Sharpe has failed to live up to his surname by getting a pub quiz question about himself wrong. When asked to name the youngest player to represent England U21s before Theo Walcott, he scribbled down 'Michael Owen'. The answer? 'Lee Sharpe'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That hattrick he bagged against the gooners icon_cool.gif

thick as 17 short planks, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Owen Hargreaves is now close to recovering from a broken leg and is ready to beg Bayern Munich to let him join Manchester United when the transfer window opens on 1 January. (The Times)

Manchester United are also watching Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres, who would cost over £20m. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United are ready to make a £12m swoop for Tottenham's Jermain Defoe. (Daily Mirror)

And Manchester United are also keeping tabs on Hamilton's 16-year-old midfielder, Jamie McCarthy. (Daily Star) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're clearly going to sign all of them. And Philip Lahm. icon14.gif

Sharpey such a hero icon_cool.gif

These Defoe rumours won't go away. If we spend £12m on him I'll personally cripple him so we can claim the money back on insurance. Would rather we signed Darren Bent than him.

Andy Johnson out of tomorrow's game \O/

And in further positive news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reds' pair to resume training

United have been boosted by the news that Ji-sung Park and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are both ready to resume full training.

The pair will rejoin their team-mates this week having overcome ankle and hamstring injuries respectively.

Park has been out of action since damaging ankle ligaments in the 1-0 win over Tottenham back in September. Solskjaer, meanwhile, pulled his hamstring in the final seconds of United's Champions League defeat in Copenhagen a month ago.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the duo are now fit to return and he's delighted to see them back.

"Ji-sung and Ole will begin training this week which is great news for us," the manager told Manchester United Radio. "With the hectic December period coming up it's great we'll have those players available."

Meanwhile, Sir Alex has revealed that Alan Smith is currently undertaking a special training programme to boost his fitness.

"Alan is coming along fine," he insisted. "We've changed his fitness programme with the first team; he's now doing special training to aid his speed.

"He's responding well and is enjoying it. He realises that there is a lot of hard work involved but he's putting everything into it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

attacking players \O/

I will cry if we sign Defoe. If you think i had a downer on Carrick wait until we go for Defoe.

Defoe a guy who is Spurs 3rd choice striker or is he still 4th choice. Has Mido had some injuries this season?

There is only one spurs striker i would have liked and thats the one they bought this summer and for a lot less than £12m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And Lee Sharpe has failed to live up to his surname by getting a pub quiz question about himself wrong. When asked to name the youngest player to represent England U21s before Theo Walcott, he scribbled down 'Michael Owen'. The answer? 'Lee Sharpe'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif he's a legend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I will cry if we sign Defoe. If you think i had a downer on Carrick wait until we go for Defoe.

Defoe a guy who is Spurs 3rd choice striker or is he still 4th choice. Has Mido had some injuries this season?

There is only one spurs striker i would have liked and thats the one they bought this summer and for a lot less than £12m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mido?

Or does 10.9m count as a lot less than 12m?

Difficult to say what the pecking order is for our strikers in Jol's opinion because they've all had their issues, but as far as I'm concerned, Defoe is 4th and 12m for him would be awesome.

oh, and a LOT less than £12m icon14.gif Like £5m

Lets face it, we ain't gonna get Torres, have to pay Ajax a MASSIVE premium for KJ Huntelaar and Villa will go Chelsea. Having Jermain (even though he's inferior to Saha) will still be a step closer to, dare I say it, attacking depth?

He's not worse than Smith.

I wouldn't say I'm 'coming round' to the idea of Defoe in a United shirt, but at least he's a pacey striker with movement who'd suit our fluid front line to an extent. And he's arguably a better finisher than Saha.

The major drawbacks I could see are he's about 3ft 4 and so with Rooney in the team as well and Scholes our other player getting forward our good wide play would be essentially useless. And he's a greedy bastard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Mido?

Or does 10.9m count as a lot less than 12m? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Berbatov he means, shurely? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea. Misread what Taz was saying. Ignore me.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Anyone watch the Bundesliga? (PJ?)

How does Klose do in the league when he's not winning World Cup Golden Boots? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he scores, 8 goals this season has him one off the league lead.

He'd cost you more than Defoe mind. A fair bit more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Lets face it, we ain't gonna get Torres, have to pay Ajax a MASSIVE premium for KJ Huntelaar and Villa will go Chelsea. Having Jermain (even though he's inferior to Saha) will still be a step closer to, dare I say it, attacking depth?

He's not worse than Smith. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the United transfer policy nowadays.

'Is he any good?'

'Not really, but he's marginally better than the shyte we've got at the moment.'

'I'll take him! Here's £18 million.'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I've always said I saw Klose as the type of striker who'd do well at United. He's a sort of combines Louis and Ruud style of play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have we ever had a German at United?

It'd be great, we could start up a 'Deutschland! Deutschland!' chant and have the West Hams and Boltons of this world frothing at the mouth.

More than usual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

'Is he any good?'

'Not really, but he's marginally better than the shyte we've got at the moment.'

'I'll take him! Here's £18 million.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're right, but I'd sooner pay £5-£12m for a back up like Defoe than blow another £30m on someone like Veron who won't fit in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I wouldn't say I'm 'coming round' to the idea of Defoe in a United shirt, but at least he's a pacey striker with movement who'd suit our fluid front line to an extent. And he's arguably a better finisher than Saha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's his only upside for me, yeah. The improvement in our style of play AND results since Louis replaced Ruud isn't just coincidence - any new addition to our striking options needs to be a near replica of Saha, which should rule out Klose (not a huge fan of him anyway), and arguably Huntelaar too, regardless of how amazy he is (he is quicker than Ruud and his movement is probably better, but it's not comparable to Saha).

'Is he any good?'

'I'll take him! Here's £18 million.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're right, but I'd sooner pay £5-£12m for a back up like Defoe than blow another £30m on someone like Veron who won't fit in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, if we could get him for anything anything under about £8 million I'd go for it.

£12 million for a back up seems to stretch it a bit though. We'd do better to take a punt on a young un like Fryatt or Ashley Young than spank that on someone to be used primarily off the bench. We're not Chelsea.

Has a striker replaced a midfielder in our January transfer priorities then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Park Ji-sung and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are set to resume full training for Manchester United.

Park has been sidelined since damaging ankle ligaments in United's 1-0 victory over Tottenham in September.

Solskjaer, meanwhile, has not played since pulling a hamstring in the final seconds of the shock UEFA Champions League defeat to Copenhagen at the start of the month.

However, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has now confirmed that both players are ready to return and will be fit to feature in the gruelling schedule of fixtures running up to Christmas.

"Ji-sung and Ole will begin training this week which is great news for us," Ferguson told Manchester United Radio.

"With the hectic December period coming up it's great we'll have those players available."

Ferguson also revealed that Alan Smith is being put through a special training programme in a bid to boost his fitness.

He explained: "Alan is coming along fine. We've changed his fitness programme with the first team - he's now doing special training to aid his speed.

"He's responding well and is enjoying it. He realises that there is a lot of hard work involved but he's putting everything into it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has a striker replaced a midfielder in our January transfer priorities then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite, but it's a tricky one. A midfielder like Hargreaves would arguably improve the first XI more than a new striker, but we could arguably cope with an injury to Carrick or Scholes better than we could an injury to Saha at the moment. There's an argument to be made that a striker will give us more game-changing options from the bench (which we desperately needed against Celtic and Chelsea), but with Ole back training, Smith back soonish with any luck and Rossi coming back in January, we could maybe make do.

All irrelevant anyway, we all know the top priority is a left-back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Anyone watch the Bundesliga? (PJ?)

How does Klose do in the league when he's not winning World Cup Golden Boots? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he scores, 8 goals this season has him one off the league lead.

He'd cost you more than Defoe mind. A fair bit more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I've always said I saw Klose as the type of striker who'd do well at United. He's a sort of combines Louis and Ruud style of play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other problem is that we'd have to buy players who can actually cross the ball if we had Klose in the side.

If we're looking for a backup who might play backup to Saha and Rooney is going to be difficult, as they need to be good enough to play, but also not to good that they will want to play every game. Therefore you're probably looking at the likes of Defoe and Bent from this country, and maybe the likes of Kiessling from Leverkusen. Though Kiessling is very much a Crouch-esque player.

I'd take Bent as well.

Did we miss a trick by not going in for Andy Johnson? Wouldn't have thought so at the time, but he's a lot pacier than I though, quite good in the air and can hold the ball up as well. And at £8 million he would have been at a good price too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Do you guys have the option of recalling Rossi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's back at Christmas if I remember correctly. But I think Newcastle have the option to extend it if they want.

There's no way he stays there. Awful decision to send him to that hellhole in the first place, and if we were really keen on him to go there, it should have been for the season with him able to play in all competitions. As it is, Newcastle cba with a player with potential who they'll have to give back in a couple of months, instead favouring Antoine f**king Sibierski.

If we sign a forward in January I assume he'll go out on loan somewhere else, hopefully somewhere more suitable. Even Antwerp would be better.

Archived