The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tim could return to OT

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Tim Howard's sparkling form during his season-long loan at Everton could open the door for a return to United.

The American goalkeeper has been outstanding for David Moyes' side, and Sir Alex has been delighted with the 27-year-old's progress at Goodison Park.

"Tim has been doing really well at Everton, which is what we hoped for," he said.

"The potential has always been there because he has great elasticity, he is brave, has a good spring and is an excellent distributor of the ball. All he needed was the experience, and now he is getting it."

With Edwin van der Sar, Polish international Tomasz Kuszczak and on-loan England international Ben Foster on the books, United are well stocked for goalkeepers.

Rumours earlier this season had suggested that there was no room for Howard, but it appears he may have played himself back into Sir Alex's plans.

"I have spoken to David Moyes and he is delighted at how Tim has been playing. But it is certainly a possibility he could come back to us, no question about that."

Premier League rules prevent Howard from facing United at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, with Richard Wright set to deputise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone see it happening?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Any one looking for City still?

My branch still havs places available so if you email them and ask martin at silvan dot fsnet dot co dot uk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not saying he will give you one but if your a member worth a chance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Oliver Kay in Times on return of Phil Nev

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

'For the 13 years they spent sharing a dressing-room at Manchester United, sibling rivalry between the Neville brothers was restricted to the golf course and arguments about who was the better cricketer.

At Old Trafford this evening, though, Gary and Phil Neville go head to head as captains of United and Everton respectively, an achievement that will have football historians scratching their heads to recall whether brothers have led out opposing teams in a top-flight match in England before.

The possibility was never likely to go unnoticed in one of British sport’s most successful families, but, typically, it has gone unheralded. Both players rejected interview requests about the prospect — even turning down United’s match programme and in-house television station — on the basis that they would look silly if it did not happen; for example, David Moyes, the Everton manager, could reinstate David Weir, the club captain, at Phil’s expense, while Sir Alex Ferguson could opt to rest Gary, who has been troubled by a niggling calf problem in recent weeks.

All being well, though, the brothers will lead out their teams at about 7.55pm and will soon be arguing the toss — not that a slanging match between the pair would last long. “If I say ‘let’s go out at half-past five’, Gary will say ‘quarter to six’ just to stamp his authority,†Phil said in an interview with The Times two years ago. “It’s easier just to agree with him.â€

Gary’s more obvious tenacity and drive have led him to win more honours for club and country than Phil, who, at 29, is two years his junior and was always regarded, even by his elder brother, as the more natural footballer and, indeed, cricketer. Phil was preferred at right back for United’s Premiership title run-in and the FA Cup Final against Liverpool in 1996, but Gary nailed down the position and has made 524 appearances for the club, succeeding Roy Keane as captain 12 months ago, as well as winning 81 caps for England.

Phil made 389 appearances for United, but, a victim of his versatility, he never made one position his own. In August 2005, after being told by Ferguson that his first-team prospects were limited, he opted for a new challenge at Everton. It has proved the making of him.

Excelling either in midfield or at right back, his likely role this evening, he has forced his way back into the England squad and graduated to the vice-captaincy at Everton.

“I can’t speak highly enough of Phil Neville because of his football, his dedication, his attitude and his wholeheartedness,†Moyes said at Everton’s Bellefield training ground yesterday. “Not once since he has been here has he mentioned Manchester United. He’s well and truly an Everton player and he’s as dedicated as anyone I’ve ever seen in the game.â€

Ferguson would second that. “One of the hardest things I have had to cope with in the last year was accepting that Phil was leaving us,†the United manager said before last season’s reunion at Old Trafford. “He was a pillar of what you hope for in a player — loyal, committed, honest and a man of integrity and I’m sure he has been one of the key figures in Everton’s recent resurgence.â€

On that occasion, the younger Neville walked away with the man-of-the-match award — “the first time he’s won one of those here,†Gary said, tongue in cheek — but this time he would probably settle for a repeat of that scoreline, a 1-1 draw, as Everton continue their push for European qualification.

Such an outcome would also appeal to their parents, Neville and Jill, who will be the proudest people in the crowd, but with the title race in full swing, it is fair to assume that Gary would be less willing to play happy families.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will be a weird thing to see icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

My branch still havs places available so if you email them and ask martin at silvan dot fsnet dot co dot uk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much? Do we have to paythe coach journey?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

My branch still havs places available so if you email them and ask martin at silvan dot fsnet dot co dot uk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much? Do we have to paythe coach journey? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No idea i don't go OT any more email and ask

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Such an outcome would also appeal to their parents, Neville and Jill, who will be the proudest people in the crowd, but with the title race in full swing, it is fair to assume that Gary would be less willing to play happy families.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding me? Is the father's name Neville Neville?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tim could return to OT

*snip*

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone see it happening? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope not, he's been fanstastic in goal for us showing the same form as he did when he first joined you. I think it was a lack of confidence was his problem and now he's not United with all that expectation he's enjoying himself and he's back to his best.

I hope we sign him tbh. You can have Richard Wright if you need a keeper :hopeful:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig[EVE]:

I hope we sign him tbh. You can have Richard Wright if you need a keeper :hopeful: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I remember Wright being talked about as a serious candidate to replace Schmeichel.

Thank God we didn't end up replacing Big Pete with a succession of dunderheads, eh?

...Oh icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

1-0 tonight, they have no chance of scoring without Andrew Johnson and Tim Cahill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spectacular jinxing there son, wp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Honestly, you don't say that WSR icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly don't understand why it matters if I say what I think will happen in the game tonight? Does it actually make a difference if I say they won't score? I haven't been using this forum for long, I need to know what is with all this jinxing...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Any chance Everton are going to bring back Duncan Ferguson for a One Night Only special performance against our defence?

"Oh sh¦t! A dangerous set piece! What do we do, Rio?!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah - it'll be Beattie wearing the No 9 trying to do that feat. He's due a No 9 hero's performance though icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man United may have failed to take the game to Chelsea for much of the second-half on Sunday but the club has been under attack since. Our midweek columnist Giles Smith stands up for the champions.

Overall, I thought Sir Alex Ferguson hid his disappointment about Sunday's result pretty well.

Of course, the Manchester United manager has had quite a lot of disappointment to hide of late, so he ought to be getting good at it.

And indeed, in Sunday's post-match performance you really saw the practice he has put in over the last few seasons beginning to pay dividends.

Ignoring the fact that his team had spent 98 percent of the second period unable to get out of their own half and had crawled from the field relieved to come away with a point, Ferguson instead commended his players for not allowing Chelsea to 'disrupt the flow of the game' with fouling.

This was classic, cut out n' keep, post-match Fergie - brilliantly monocular, fabulously combative, and bearing about as much relation to the reality of matters as Harry Potter's Hogwarts does to your local primary.

You've got to love the little chap, haven't you? Harry Potter, I mean.

Quiz time: which team committed the most fouls on Sunday? I'll give you a clue: it wasn't Chelsea.

Sky Sports then compounded the after-game hilarity by giving the man of the match award to Michael Carrick, a player who was so anonymous during the second half that he might as well still have been at Tottenham.

If you had to give man of the match to someone in a red shirt (and one wouldn't be entirely surprised to learn that it was an obligation on these occasions), you would surely have given it to Ronaldo or Patrice Evra, rather than the hesitant and largely over-run Carrick.

In a reasonable world, though, you would have handed the award to Ashley Cole for the gold-star job he did containing Ronaldo or, better still, to Michael Essien who was required to play in no fewer than three different positions during the course of the match and performed beyond international level in each of them.

But then it's been a good week for media misunderstandings in general.

Consider the kerfuffle about last week's Peter Kenyon statements. The chief executive says that it is Chelsea's ambition to be the biggest club in the world by 2014.

The papers then conveniently overlook the bit about ambition and print headlines in the vein of, 'We will be the biggest in the world by 2014, boasts Kenyon.'

And then everyone loses sight of the rather boring truth that if the chief executive of the world's richest football club didn't have the ambition for his club to become the biggest team in the game, and wasn't prepared to declare that ambition every now and again, then it would be time to start wondering whether he was in the right job.

In any case, 2014? Why the delay? What's wrong with 2009? What's wrong with next week?

But my favourite piece of analysis came in one of Monday's papers, in a report from Sunday's match.

According to one writer, when we sing 'That's why we're champions' after a goal goes in, it is 'the most misguided chant on the terraces of English football grounds.'

Why? Because, the writer explains, 'Chelsea are not champions by virtue of the skill, flair or individual brilliance that, admittedly, abounds in their ranks.'

Love that 'admittedly', by the way. But I interrupt.

'If they are to retain the title,' the writer goes on, 'it will be owing to their more prosaic qualities and a tactical structure that at times makes them look unbeatable.'

But even if that were true, you couldn't really chant it, could you? In any case, the 'That's why we're champions' song isn't exclusively reserved for individually brilliant goals. It's for any goal that pulls us back to square or puts us ahead.

And, on account of that, I don't think we're misguided to sing it. On the contrary, I think it can be fairly conclusively demonstrated that we're champions because of the goals. I've certainly never seen us win a game without scoring one.

Blimey, though - even our chants are wrong. Is it because we is rich? All those other big clubs occurred organically, you know. They just grew out of the soil, or fell, fully formed, from the boughs of ancient trees.

There was certainly nothing as vulgar as money involved in the history of Manchester United. Heaven forbid!

Wayne Rooney? Paid for with Green Shield stamps.

Rio Ferdinand? Arrived at the club after a year-long bottle top collection by local schools.

Michael Carrick? Covered with the funds raised by a city-wide shoe-recycling scheme.

The Manchester United Megastore? It just sprung up. They came in one morning, and there it was. With a full shelf of Brian McClair pillow cases.

Easy for some, this greatness business. We, on the other hand, will just have to bite the bullet and work for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of my classless mates tells me to go check out the new chelsea website. that was the lead story. looks like it's easy to forget the match was the quintessential game of two halves apparently.

i won't even start on him nominating paddy for MotM. icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

yeah I noticed that Evra bit icon_biggrin.gif

Smith is a Chelsea ST holder, just happens to also write for The Times and as a regular weekly contributor to the site is naturally obliged to be pro-Chelsea. It's usually very much tongue in cheek, so take it as that really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United striker Louis Saha and winger Cristiano Ronaldo picked up knocks against Chelsea and are doubts.

Saha's injury sees United struggling for strikers and Ryan Giggs could be used up front with John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher starting in midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh please no

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

oi, oi - what has O'Sborn Shea done to deserve such contempt?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was born iirc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Nothing Monzers, he's done precisely nothing since 2003.

Oh, except contributing to the Arsenal and Copenhagen defeats by virtue of stifling the midfield with his utter utter crapness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly the answer I was awaiting. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

flat out denial by Jol that they're gonna sell Defoe.. apparently still an important member of the team

\o/

Now just leave it at that Fergie... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a similar note, some paper that they showed on Sky Sports reckons that Silvestre leaving could coincide with Torres coming to us and some sort of exchange deal could be worked out with Atletico.

Surely it'd just involve paying them more money to take him off our hands icon_confused.gif

Archived