The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> EXCLUSIVE: George spooks old flames

BESTIE'S BACK ON SPIRITS

By Phil Taylor

LOOKS like late soccer legend George Best is up to his old tricks again—flitting between three of his lovers after coming back as a GHOST!

The boozy Manchester United icon's widow Alex, his mistress Gina Devivo and his last lover Ros Hollidge have all reported haunting experiences.

And last night George's agent and best pal Phil Hughes said he also got spooked when an unseen hand mysteriously moved his DRINKS CABINET!

Mum-of-two Gina was so freaked out she turned to a medium — that's a psychic not a sherry — who insisted this week that Best IS in contact from beyond the grave, a year after his death.

"I thought I was going nuts when weird things started to happen in my house," said blonde Gina.

"But after seeing the spiritualist and hearing that Ros, Alex and Phil have all had similar experiences, I'm 100 per cent certain it's George's ghost."

In life, womaniser Best hopped between Alex, Gina and Ros. In death his mischievous spirit follows suit:

# ROS revealed her lights and TV turn themselves on and off, doors open and shut at will and George's favourite song once blared through the house after the CD player had been turned off.

# ALEX says a shower turned itself on and taps mysteriously started gushing.

# GINA panicked when glasses flew around her home, her TV flipped over, a smiling vision of George appeared on her bed and an invisible footballer played keepy-uppy in her garden — the ball rising 20 times without touching the ground!

Now Phil, Alex and Ros have all found their passports mysteriously missing.

George's family and friends shed tears at his grave last week on the first anniversary of his death at 59 following years of alcohol abuse.

But lover Gina, 35, is convinced his spirit is alive and kicking at her council house in Ewell, Surrey.

Weird

"It started with the lights going on and off and doors opening and shutting," she told us. "I'd see the door handle go frantically up and down but there was no one on the other side.

"Then I'd hear my letterbox banging between 11.15pm and midnight—the time George used to turn up drunk. Again there was no one there. It has since got increasingly weird. I found my TV upside down and saw glasses fly across the room and smash to bits.

"One day I was in my kitchen when I saw a football, one that George bought for my daughters, bounce up and down in the garden without touching the ground. It must have done it over 20 times. I was absolutely speechless.

"I then started to hear George's voice. And one night I actually saw him in my bed. I was petrified.

"But he wasn't the old George that I knew. He looked in his prime, in his thirties and in a red top. He was smiling at me, looking like Jesus with a beard and long, dark wavy hair. I was so freaked I ran out and shouted to my neighbour about what I'd seen.

"George always said he'd come back and haunt me one day. Now he's keeping his word."

Worried Gina has visited medium Ivan Lee twice at Wimbledon Spiritualist Church. She stressed: "The first time I didn't tell him who I wanted to contact. But he suddenly said, ‘I've got a man. I've got a George here.'

"He told me so many things only George would have known about—like the elephant ornament he bought me.

"The medium said George was even complaining about cushions and teddy bears all over my bed. George used to hate that and threw them around the room when he was drunk."

Sorry

Psychic Ivan, 44, later told the News of the World: "George wants Gina to know there's life after death and he's fine.

"He clearly has a great sense of humour and likes to play up now and then by visiting her. But he repeatedly said he was sorry for the way he treated Gina. He also spoke of his concern for his son Calum."

Revealing spine-tingling happenings at her Surbiton home, George's final fling Ros Hollidge admitted: "It's hard enough to deal with his death, let alone discuss this. I don't want to sound like a loony. It started the night he died.

"George once gave me a CD of ‘She' by Elvis Costello and it became our favourite song. On the evening he passed away I switched everything off and two close friends took me out for a quick drink as I was very upset.

"When I came back half an hour later that song was blaring through the house. Then my lights and TV kept going on and off and doors flew open and slammed of their own accord. It's still going on. George would absolutely love causing a bit of havoc like this."

Former air hostess Alex Best, 34—who divorced George after 10 years following his affair with Gina—told us: "Funny things did happen after George died, mostly involving water.

"Taps went on in the middle of the night in our converted barn. And as I left my hotel room for George's funeral the shower just turned itself on full blast and I couldn't shut it off. My passport also went missing. I can't believe the same thing's happened to Phil and Ros. It leaves me cold."

Last night George's pal Phil Hughes, who supported him to the end, described the strange goings-on at his Surrey home.

He said: "When George stayed at my house he'd never touch any booze from my drinks cabinet.

"All my bottles of brandy, scotch and Bacardi were on a triangular shelf which sits rock-solid on pegs in a corner cupboard in the front room.

"But recently I found the shelf had somehow gone underneath the pegs and flipped.

"But not one bottle had fallen over. They were all standing up in a perfect line. It really spooked me.

"I did believe I'd see George again one day. But not in this world."

Sounds like football wizard George might be playing a whole new game—for Wraith Rovers.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spooky icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i respectfully continue to disagree. i don't think he leaves the leg in there, i think it's a case of momentum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You respectfully disagree? **** that, give it me with both barrels, you big nancy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i cba, i'm hungover icon_frown.gif

plus, i was always taught to respect my elders

Good result yesterday if the performance was far from awe inspiring.

First thing to get out the way is Ronaldo and his diving. He did dive for the penalty and he did dive when going past Boateng (who incidentally I thought had a really good game for Boro overall) and I don’t care who it is, its not acceptable, especially when it’s a player with the ability and the balance to get round players exquisitely like our young Portuguese star. I don’t subscribe to the culture argument put forward by Taz or the notion that he was physically incapable of staying on his feet because the position of his leading foot made him trip over the ball. If his trailing leg hadn’t been so purposefully outstretched he’d have been able to manoeuvre his body out of the way and keep the ball. That said it was done masterfully and when he initially went down I was clambering for a penalty as much as anyone else, but that doesn’t mean it should be condoned, Red or not.

On to the game: Saha’s penalty was lucky for me, he didn’t connect well and he’s lucky Schwartzer didn’t spring across his goal as well as Boruc did at Parkhead. Still that was 1-0. Gabby was at fault with regards to his positioning when the ball came in and that didn’t help him when it came to the execution of his header that went straight to Morrison. Luckily we were able to get right back in it, good non-wasteful work by Ronaldo (though I’m going to disagree with the assertions that have been made about his consistency of end product, however improved it may be, we’re not moving up on the scale from a very high point are we?), and a nice ball by Giggs for Fletch ghosting in Scholes-esq for the header to put us 2-1 up and secure the win.

As for the players overall: VDS did fine as per, but was left exposed for the goal, not his fault. Apart from the goal Gabby did fine but looks like he’s under pressure to support our attacking movements in a way that Evra is clearly more suited. GNev solid as always. Vidic had a quieter game with a couple of very minor slips/unnecessary fouls. Rio I thought was our best player yesterday, commanding and composed presence at the back and I don’t think he’s getting the praise he deserves amidst all the Vidic cult love.

Scholesy clearly our best midfielder for me, continually making us tick and second in the MOM stakes. Giggsy flitted in and out for me, a couple of longish spells where he didn’t do a whole lot, and although he combined well with Giggs to set up Fletch I think the same can be said of Ronaldo really. Fletch did what Fletch does, lots of energy, competitive & keeping it tidy, exactly what we needed yesterday in-case it became a war of attrition – and then he scores goals as well, and it was a great run in. What’s going on with that bazooka-like celebration though?

Rooney put a lot of effort in and Saha was largely anonymous for me. I don’t know how Sky gave Wayne MOM, because other than a couple of runs from deep he helped keep the ball but didn’t really do a whole lot else. Other than the goal Saha, with his much vaunted movement and pace, didn’t really show up. As much as I want this to be just down to tiredness and him probably carrying a strain or something, I can’t help but wonder if he’s let a little bit of complacency in since he’s now our primary #9. Anyway I hope I’m wrong.

MOM: Rio Ferdinand

2 N D: Paul Scholes

Now about something else that I think has become a feature too regularly in some of our games this season. While we do, on occasion produce performances that rip through teams and pelt them with chances, does nobody else find it disconcerting how many times we’ve totally controlled games by every indicator possible bar the amount of times we’ve tested the opposing keeper by making cut and dried chances? Like I said it doesn’t happen every game but it’s happened often enough for me to be slightly on edge that once our run of good luck with this ends, we’re going to suffer the indignity of dropping stupid points against less than impressive teams again. If we’d gone 5 minutes more without scoring last night I think we’d be sitting here 4 points clear of Chelsea rather than 6.

Marts Monthly Awards: November (> BOTU)

Player of the Month: Paul Scholes; MOM vs Celtic, second place for me vs. Pompey & Blackburn, generally very good in the other games he’s played in during November.

Worst Player of the Month: Kieron Richardson, rubbish against Southend in particular.

Most Improved Player of the Month: Michael Carrick

Goal of the Month: Saha vs. Chelsea – just a great finish.

Moment of the Month: The left back symposium against Everton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

i respectfully continue to disagree. i don't think he leaves the leg in there, i think it's a case of momentum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You respectfully disagree? **** that, give it me with both barrels, you big nancy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i cba, i'm hungover icon_frown.gif

plus, i was always taught to respect my elders </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's about the first time since i've been here icon_biggrin.gif

Just one more thing on the penalty, as i'm going out now. Is there anyone in here who wouldn't have been screaming blue murder about a diving cheat if that penalty had been against us and we'd lost 2-1?

I'm with Taz, Ronaldo has been good for pretty much all of 2006 for me. I was highly critical of him a year ago, particularly after Benfica, never has a performance angered me as much as his that day. But credit to him, he turned it around and chipped in with a number of fine goals and general good play.

Of course he has taken it up again this season, but to say he has only had 3 months of being good is harsh.

aha, change my moment of the month to paddy's first goal please beebeebee

villa at home, good omen seeing as we had them in the 3rd round when we last won it. means we play them three times in a month - 23.12 away in the league, early Jan in the cup and then mid-Jan at home in the league.

also means Henke will be in with a shout of playing against MON's villa twice icon_biggrin.gif

It was a dive. But going on the precedent set in the first game of the season, Sheff Utd v Liverpool, it's a clear penalty. Intent and all that.

MoM: Scholes

2nd: Ronaldo

Home to Villa is fine. It's good to see either Liverpool or Arsenal going out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

didnt ruud score 2 last time we beat them though? or was that the time before last? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the time before last, Scholes' did them last time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

didnt ruud score 2 last time we beat them though? or was that the time before last? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In cup I think Scholes scored two if im not mistaken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Larsson's debut against Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

people keep forgetting we have newcastle on new years day. don't think there's any reason he won't be able to feature there is there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

people keep forgetting we have newcastle on new years day. don't think there's any reason he won't be able to feature there is there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

depends on whether any paperwork is sorted in time.

afaik his registration cant be officially transferred until Jan 1st so it might be touch and go.

people keep forgetting we have newcastle on new years day. don't think there's any reason he won't be able to feature there is there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, should be nothing at all stopping him playing, but all the press is saying he will likely make his debut in the 3rd round of the cup due to not being eligible for the Geordie game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It was a dive. But going on the precedent set in the first game of the season, Sheff Utd v Liverpool, it's a clear penalty. Intent and all that.

MoM: Scholes

2nd: Ronaldo

Home to Villa is fine. It's good to see either Liverpool or Arsenal going out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're mistaking 'precedent' for simply 'another ***** decision' there ali

What happened to the away allocation deduction yesterday? Seemed like they gave us the lot, sorry if this has already been mentioned I haven't been on for a few days. I don't understand why Boro don't give well supported clubs all that stand behind the goal, they don't sell-out against any team and United, Newcastle and Liverpool would fill it.

aye, it's a massive game icon_wink.gif in SO many ways, need to hammer the ****s, haven't done it for ages, the 9 point gap is a huge thing especially after Arsenal have just hammered Spurs, bound to be confident, though they do have CL business to attend to as well.

Really looking forward to it, hopefully OT will be rocking \o.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Saha's debt of gratitude

Manchester United ace Louis Saha has revealed Sir Alex Ferguson saved him from quitting the game.

The Frenchman, who is United's top scorer this season, claims he considered quitting because of his injury problems.

Saha has enjoyed his best season to date with United and he has helped them go six points clear at the top of the Premiership.

The former Fulham man has endured a frustrating time with injuries over the last few years and Saha insists he was close to calling it quits.

"The injuries I have had recently have been the hardest times of my life," Saha told the News of the World.

"Somewhere in my mind, while it was happening, I thought that it was all over, that Sir Alex Ferguson has had enough of my problems.

"It just wouldn't stop, as soon as I was ready to play again I would get injured. I couldn't take it anymore.

"At the beginning of last season I was at my lowest - it was hell.

"I thought about throwing in the towel as I couldn't handle it any more. What disappointed me was the fact I couldn't pay back the faith the club and the manager had placed in me after they stood by me through previous injuries."

Saha has special gratitude for the patience Ferguson has shown with him through all the injury problems.

"I'll always remember what Sir Alex has done for me. I went to see him when I was at the end of my patience," continued Saha.

"I must have been injured for the 15th time and had the impression he had already been too nice to me.

"I didn't want to abuse the situation so I said to him, 'I can't take it any more, relegate me to the reserve team'. He replied, 'Louis, you'll be back. We're counting on you'.

"That's a phrase I'll never forget. He never gave up on me. Not once."

Meanwhile, Ferguson has admitted the surprise signing of Henrik Larsson will allow him to give a rest to Saha and Wayne Rooney in the second half of the season.

United announced a three-month loan deal for Larsson on Friday and the former Celtic hero will add options to Ferguson's attack.

Ferguson is keen to give Saha and Rooney a break at some point and he believes Larsson is the perfect replacement for either player.

"The major attraction for me is that he gives me a trusted option while I give Wayne and Louis a break," said Ferguson. "That's one of the reasons we've signed him.

"Wayne and Louis want to play every week, but you can't allow that to happen." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not gonna get on ronaldo's back about the pen - admittedly i've seen it from just the one angle, but it looks a penalty AND a dive to me, if that makes any sense. while there was minimal/no contact, the keeper impedes him without getting the ball for me. you can see ronnie initially tries to evade this but in doing so the goalscoring chance is gone and he goes down. i don't like it, but referees are so clownshoes these days you can't rely on them to recognise fouls like that, so i'd argue he's being professional there, however much i dislike diving.

the one later on was rubbish and very pires-esque though, not defending that.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only just seen this, largely sums up my views to be honest. Now that I've actually seen the penalty decision this morning, I don't think that it's a dive at all, I think that he has lost his balance once he has tried to go around the keeper. You don't see him turning round to the ref and demanding a penalty or anything, like he can do, and yeah, I'll defend him.

But like Nick says, the later one was very Pires-esque and you can't really defend it.

But yeah, had it been anyone else then Ronaldo wouldn't have been getting any of the stick that he is now, Rosicky's was arguably worse and nobody bats an eyelid.

Player of the Month - Paul Scholes, the architect of all things good.

Worst player of the month - Heinze, Richardson only really involved vs everton and soutend where as Gabby has been in for bigger and more games and really hasnt been great.

Most improved player of the month - Evra, when given the chance has been outstanding for me, if he he had been given a start in all games would be a contender for player of the month. Such a loveable little champ. Carrick honourable mention.

Goal of the month - Saha vs Chelsea, in terms of best goal Ronaldo vs Pompey or Wazza vs Sheff United were technically better but Saha vs Chelsea was a huge goal. Created smoothly and finished brilliantly.

Moment of the month - Rooney kissing his United badge at the Everton fans. Saw my mate.....

Player of the Month - Scholes, no contest.

Worst player of the month - Richardson, as always.

Most improved player of the month - Carrick, Impressed me for the first time against Chelsea.

Goal of the month - Ronaldo's free-kick against Pompey.

Moment of the month - Seeing the teamsheet against Everton and managing not to top myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Many times I thought about leaving, but I'm a warrior, so that was impossible. One thing I am sure of - Chelsea will win the Premiership again.

"Our draw at Old Trafford last week has stopped all the euphoria there." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp Drogba

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Indeed Jimlad, this was the very rare games so far this season where Rio was much better than Vidic and actually deserves MoM in my oppinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even that's harsh on Rio and you don't mean it icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

http://forum.raotl.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40592

ycnmiu \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't doubt their capability to organise this. There was at least a 45 minute unofficial silence against Portsmouth the other week for instance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

http://forum.raotl.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40592

ycnmiu \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't doubt their capability to organise this. There was at least a 45 minute unofficial silence against Portsmouth the other week for instance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Archived