The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">not having a penny to spend on transfers, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is an apparent problem, but very few teams apart from Chelsea are spending significantly more on players than receiving on players, and some of those clubs are in worse debt conditions than we are in regard to turnover.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

season ticket prices going up, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is evidence of problems, but could be also seen from a business point of view of years of under inflationary increases so brining up to 'true' value.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hardcore fans being alienated, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have they just alienated them by buying the club? Yes the loyalty pot going is alienating the traditional support, but business sense indicates you should attract new 'customers' aswell, maybe this should have been done differently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">club staff being laid off (leading to the current ticket office fiascos) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that was the removing of unnecessary costs. I'm sure if SU had achieved their goal they would probably have had to streamline costs somehow.

Remember I am answering from a business point of view, not the United fan point of view, in order to give what is likely to be the same answer given if I was an independent business advisor.

low blows sires.

my point is that Man Utd, via its public offering, commoditized itself and that the Glazers' actions are to be expected.

again, if you're willing to pay for the more expensive season tickets, they'll charge you at that price. vote with your wallets and stop whining, they'll never respect you as long as they have your money if that's all they really want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Right gotta go and take back a road sign vigilante style, when I look again tommorow I want in-depth answer's to my question.

2000 words should be enough mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pfft mark is so 2005. jimlad's your man tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Mark might want to rekindle some of the old school magic though! And as UOTY he has first dibs...

Anyway, what was his original hypothetical again? I'm pretty sure its got lost in the absurdity of the Glazers = inevitable treble notion.

yeah not quite referring to what I'm saying - I dont actually care too much about the price of my (non existent) ticket right now.

it's the complete disregard for the fans with a pure, short-sighted, outlook for the here-and-now revenue that has p*ssed me off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

here's my point condensed into a tiny glistening nugget of truth

Manchester United "supporters" are nothing more than consumers to the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As apposed to the rest of the big teams icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

Manchester United "supporters" are nothing more than consumers to the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As apposed to the rest of the big teams icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yes icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

PJ's argument basically 'omg we're not bankrupt yet, they're not all bad!' \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's as constructive as a Private Frazer inspired 'We're Doomed' tbh. No long term evidence to identify that either are the direction we are heading.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">not having a penny to spend on transfers, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is an apparent problem, but very few teams apart from Chelsea are spending significantly more on players than receiving on players, and some of those clubs are in worse debt conditions than we are in regard to turnover. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

utterly utterly irrelevant. only worthwhile comparison you can make is to us pre-takeover.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

season ticket prices going up, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is evidence of problems, but could be also seen from a business point of view of years of under inflationary increases so brining up to 'true' value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

under inflation? tell that to the people who renewed in the north/south stands last season. 'true' value? a.k.a the most the glazers think they can rip us off by? great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hardcore fans being alienated, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have they just alienated them by buying the club? Yes the loyalty pot going is alienating the traditional support, but business sense indicates you should attract new 'customers' aswell, maybe this should have been done differently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

complete rot. the very fact you're talking about 'business sense' is the crux of the matter here. we're a football club - apologies for having the nerve to think like that, but we are. you can bang on about it being good business sense all you like, it's a **** way to treat loyal fans and believe it or not, that's what's uppermost in my thoughts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">club staff being laid off (leading to the current ticket office fiascos) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that was the removing of unnecessary costs. I'm sure if SU had achieved their goal they would probably have had to streamline costs somehow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

providing a decent service is an unnecessary cost? that doesn't sound like good business sense to me...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Remember I am answering from a business point of view, not the United fan point of view, in order to give what is likely to be the same answer given if I was an independent business advisor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and i'm talking from a united fan point of view and couldn't give a flying f**k about what an independent business advisor would say. i'm talking about how things affect me and my fellow fans, not how things look to some faceless bean-counters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which could hurt the club in the long run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Glazers want to make money personal wealth for thme is that good in the long run

Stop buying tickets and you stop the Glazers simple as

But the crux of the matter is that we are a business, and have been for quite some time Nick, yes you can moan about the way the club is ran, and tbh as a fan I feel the same. But you asked me what is to listen to from the other side of the divide, and I presented such an argument.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

As apposed to the rest of the big teams icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't stop at the big teams, when have supporters of professional football clubs ever been anything other than consumers.

For all their community ties, local tradition etc. supporters have never been given a free ride, regardless of the time period being talked about. It may be more noticeable in this era of massive capital investment for the big teams but don't pretend there's anything more than a relative difference between fans as consumers of Manchester United as opposed to Torquay based on their respective fan-bases. Everyone tries to maximise their income and to say otherwise is pretty much incorrect.

Now if you'd said something related to a club having a responsibility to respect its primary consumer, i.e. the fan, and the Glazers not displaying this aspect with regards to managing a vital area of the club resources - again the fan - regardless of broad success generating broader support, local generational ties are vital over the longer term, then maybe your nugget would have a point AJ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

But the crux of the matter is that we are a business, and have been for quite some time Nick, yes you can moan about the way the club is ran, and tbh as a fan I feel the same. But you asked me what is to listen to from the other side of the divide, and I presented such an argument. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, and i've listened, i've seen the reasoning from a business side of view, and it hasn't improved my view of the Glazers one iota.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

But the crux of the matter is that we are a business, and have been for quite some time Nick, yes you can moan about the way the club is ran, and tbh as a fan I feel the same. But you asked me what is to listen to from the other side of the divide, and I presented such an argument. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, and i've listened, i've seen the reasoning from a business side of view, and it hasn't improved my view of the Glazers one iota. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that is exactly the same as what Martin said when he mentioned the ones who don't give a flying about the Glazers despite being told the details. So lets end it there. I've had enough anger today over the Trident story, I don't want any more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Right gotta go and take back a road sign vigilante style, when I look again tommorow I want in-depth answer's to my question.

2000 words should be enough mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pfft mark is so 2005. jimlad's your man tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Mark might want to rekindle some of the old school magic though! And as UOTY he has first dibs...

Anyway, what was his original hypothetical again? I'm pretty sure its got lost in the absurdity of the Glazers = inevitable treble notion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I WAS CLEARLY JOKING, surely being able to write would mean I was intelligent enough not to believe the Glazer's 'investment' would lead to an 'inevitable treble'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Someone want to give Go-Go the spending balance on the team post-Glazer?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grrr I'm angry because of the cricket so going to bite - all I said was that obviously the Glazer's are bad for the club, but personally I don't think that justifies the personal hate.

But yeah just re-stating what I've already said because it seems anything over than "GLAZER IS DEVIL" sends you all into an all-consuming rage.

Oh, and answer the Fergie question!

Oh, and answer the Fergie question! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok then. If Fergie leads our ameoba-thin squad to the Premiership title over that monstrous shower from west London, then yes, it will be definitely be his greatest achievement (particularly as several of us expected we'd barely scrape into the UEFA Cup spot this year.)

Similarly, if Allen & Overy ring me up today and offer me a £35k a year job, with Eva Green as my PA, then that will be MY greatest achievement.

The latter is more likely to take place tbh.

years of under inflationary increases </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Christ, you can tell who has the GCSE in business studies can't you.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's aimed at me, yes I do have a GCSE in Business Studies, but I also have a degree in the field.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

particularly as several of us expected we'd barely scrape into the UEFA Cup spot this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speak for yourself.

a lot of people in this thread have long stated there isn't too much wrong with the first xi, it's the depth of the squad that is the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

particularly as several of us expected we'd barely scrape into the UEFA Cup spot this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speak for yourself.

a lot of people in this thread have long stated there isn't too much wrong with the first xi, it's the depth of the squad that is the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to skip back the thread to about the time the transfer window closed then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

speak for yourself.

a lot of people in this thread have long stated there isn't too much wrong with the first xi, it's the depth of the squad that is the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to skip back the thread to about the time the transfer window closed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speak for yourself.

You might want to skip back the thread to about the time the transfer window closed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could do this all day. icon_biggrin.gif

If that's aimed at me, yes I do have a GCSE in Business Studies, but I also have a degree in the field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A desmond from the bury institute of catering?

Martin making up what happened the other night when getting autographs I see. Anyone would think we were holding him back whilst he pelted them with anything he could get his hands on.

In reality he stood there like everyone else then went on & on about how easy it would have been to take them out if he had a gun.

speak for yourself.

You might want to skip back the thread to about the time the transfer window closed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could do this all day. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh christ icon_biggrin.gif

the point - all in bold and patently obvious - is that nobody is claiming the first xi is perfect and can't be strengthened by a hargreaves/torres/whoever, but there really isn't too much wrong with the first team. i don't think there'd have been many complaints at the end of august if we'd bought a few squad players for the wing/up front/another four left backs/in midfield, put it that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

My new phone came an hour or so ago. Anyone important enough can get it when they come to the wall tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been playing with my w850 since i got it, it's possibly the greatest thing ever invented icon_cool.gif

major hugs and kisses to ratinho if he wanders in here too, have videos of rooney/ronaldo/ole/ruud and the last six minutes of the cl final on it now icon_cool.gif

Archived