The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

oh christ icon_biggrin.gif

the point - all in bold and patently obvious - is that nobody is claiming the first xi is perfect and can't be strengthened by a hargreaves/torres/whoever, but there really isn't too much wrong with the first team. i don't think there'd have been many complaints at the end of august if we'd bought a few squad players for the wing/up front/another four left backs/in midfield, put it that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and MY point was that there was a lot of uncertainty in the thread coming into the season, particularly after the failure to get a Hargreaves/Gattuso-type midfielder. (I don't think anyone REALLY said we'd finish only in a UEFA Cup place, but I trust you weren't taking me literally).

Now I'd like to say we should both shut up and stop boring the thread, but I think the on-going mobile phone conversation is doing that perfectly well already.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had faith in all of them but giggs and scholes tbh. just thought they would be too hit and miss/injury prone. i made a post during the summer saying the world cup would probably be the making of ronaldo and ive always been a fan of saha. vidic and evra it was obvious they just needed to settle, though i have been surprised by just how well evra has done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i vote we get elmonzo to go back and check the mood of the thread around the end of august. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There must be someone with nothing better to do, and loads of time on their hands.

Nick? Mika? You there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

i vote we get elmonzo to go back and check the mood of the thread around the end of august. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There must be someone with nothing better to do, and loads of time on their hands.

Nick? Mika? You there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am, I can remember the mood anyway, fight for fourth all the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 'Southgate stopped playing football last year. He needs to understand football much better," said the 21-year-old Portuguese international.

"I was trying to get past the goalkeeper. I lost my balance.

"I realise people criticise me for anything I do. They love to do that ever since the World Cup. But it doesn't bother me." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Not really surprised by the performances really, more at the lack of injuries to Saha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the lack of a hamstring injury for Giggs at the weekend. If anything was a certain in life then I thought that would have been it.

Official site so dreadful:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo: I can handle the pressure

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off against Benfica when United went out of the Champions League last season, but a more mature and confident player will walk out at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

The 21-year-old Reds winger has proven himself to be unfazed by the criticism following the fall-out of England’s World Cup exit at the hands of Portugal.

And under the media glare at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Ronaldo confidently fielded questions about everything form his red card last season against Benfica to allegations from Gareth Southgate over the weekend that he dived to win a penalty during the 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium.

By now he’s used to the attention. And as he proved in United’s 1-0 win at Estadio da Luz earlier this season, he will not let the occasion on Wednesday affect him.

“The game [where I was red carded] is in the past now,†he said. “There is always pressure. But I’m playing well and the team is playing well, so that is all that matters. On Wednesday night it is a match to see which team goes through, I just want to be part of that.â€

Asked whether he is bothered by the criticism he so regularly receives, Ronaldo’s answer was a plain and simple “noâ€.

“People criticise me for anything and everything I do,†he added. “They love to do it. But, since the World Cup, I have concentrated on my football, which is what I love to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was actually subbed, but well played icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Park back in training today icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex: Ronaldo's no diver

Sir Alex Ferguson has hit out over suggestions that Cristiano Ronaldo dived to win a penalty against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The incident has been replayed, debated and deliberated by the press since Saturday. The boss's anger at the criticism of Cristiano was plain to see in his pre-Benfica press briefing, which you can watch in Tuesday's News on MUTV Online, available from 7pm GMT.

Ronaldo defended himself against accusations from Boro boss Gareth Southgate that he dived, saying: "Gareth Southgate only stopped playing football last year. In my opinion he should understand football much better. I was trying to pass the keeper, I lost my balance and eventually the referee gave a penalty That is it."

Sir Alex also responded to Southgate, saying: "Gareth's a bit naive. But he's a young manager, you have to give him a chance to settle in," he said at his pre-match press conference. "We don't condone diving here. I've said that time and again. Ronaldo's aware of that.

"The first thing that happened on Saturday was he was hacked from behind and the referee didn't book the player. It only encourages players to keep kicking him time and time again. He's the most fouled player in the country. All the stats are there.

"You have to ask, what is more serious? Preventing the best players to play or to go on for three days about a dive that wasn't a dive. I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling it is a revenge from the English press. They have been waiting months to do this."

Sir Alex is insistent that the intent was there for Schwarzer to knock the Reds winger off balance.

"I've looked at it a million times. No way is a player going to give up an opportunity to score in an empty goal," he said. "Why the keeper doesn't go for it with his hands, I've no idea. He tried to prevent him from scoring and, for me, it was a clear penalty. He lost his balance because of that.

"Ronaldo was sent off against Manchester City for intent. Steve Gerrard got a penalty for intent at the start of the season. It's an interpretation in the referee's hands. I think it was a penalty kick." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie still has it :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Official site so dreadful:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo: I can handle the pressure

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off against Benfica when United went out of the Champions League last season, but a more mature and confident player will walk out at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

The 21-year-old Reds winger has proven himself to be unfazed by the criticism following the fall-out of England’s World Cup exit at the hands of Portugal.

And under the media glare at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Ronaldo confidently fielded questions about everything form his red card last season against Benfica to allegations from Gareth Southgate over the weekend that he dived to win a penalty during the 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium.

By now he’s used to the attention. And as he proved in United’s 1-0 win at Estadio da Luz earlier this season, he will not let the occasion on Wednesday affect him.

“The game [where I was red carded] is in the past now,†he said. “There is always pressure. But I’m playing well and the team is playing well, so that is all that matters. On Wednesday night it is a match to see which team goes through, I just want to be part of that.â€

Asked whether he is bothered by the criticism he so regularly receives, Ronaldo’s answer was a plain and simple “noâ€.

“People criticise me for anything and everything I do,†he added. “They love to do it. But, since the World Cup, I have concentrated on my football, which is what I love to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was actually subbed, but well played icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

utter utter UTTER SHAMBOLIC TURD

who the f**k works on the content of that site? it's either a scouser on a wind-up, or a deaf, dumb and blind feotus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

west ham and villa away \o/

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any spares for Villa? I'm going to West 'Am too \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

oh christ icon_biggrin.gif

the point - all in bold and patently obvious - is that nobody is claiming the first xi is perfect and can't be strengthened by a hargreaves/torres/whoever, but there really isn't too much wrong with the first team. i don't think there'd have been many complaints at the end of august if we'd bought a few squad players for the wing/up front/another four left backs/in midfield, put it that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and MY point was that there was a lot of uncertainty in the thread coming into the season, particularly after the failure to get a Hargreaves/Gattuso-type midfielder. (I don't think anyone REALLY said we'd finish only in a UEFA Cup place, but I trust you weren't taking me literally).

Now I'd like to say we should both shut up and stop boring the thread, but I think the on-going mobile phone conversation is doing that perfectly well already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me getting a new phone is the highlight of the month. It's going to be the hot topic at the wall tomorrow night with people clamouring to get my number.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The BBC's final live match of the third round will be the all-Premiership tie between Manchester United and Aston Villa at 1230 on Sunday, 7 December. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The BBC's final live match of the third round will be the all-Premiership tie between Manchester United and Aston Villa at 1230 on Sunday, 7 December. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The BBC's final live match of the third round will be the all-Premiership tie between Manchester United and Aston Villa at 1230 on Sunday, 7 December. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

December icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

what time is everyone getting to the wall tommorrow then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bring beer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Going back to the other page about season ticket prices, for the record my season ticket went down £20 or so. But this might be because my ******** aren't hairy enough to get an adult ticket yet icon_biggrin.gif. What game is everyone watching? Barc-Wer for me, come on you fecking Germans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So much for that then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

and if we win the group?

Barcelona probably... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>we can't win the group can we?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

and if we win the group?

Barcelona probably... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>we can't win the group can we? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah if we win and Celtic Draw or lose.

****ing hell, that's tough!

btw I emailed you dude </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got your email and your number in my phone, "BBB The Internet Bloke".

and if we win the group?

Barcelona probably... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barcelona or Real Madrid but thats just as hard as Lyon or Milan for me except topping the group would have given us teams like PSV, AEK Athens and Porto as well.

Archived