The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

OK I was thinking, and dangerous I know. BUt should we play for the draw tomorrow.

I know that is extremely dangerous but we'll avoid barce, inter, lyon and valencia to name a few. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif awesome

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Going out of Europe would be the best thing that could happen for us on the domestic front. But seeing as even if we lose we will go into the UEFA cup we should go for the win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Every game will be on a sunday if we go in UEFA icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Going out of Europe would be the best thing that could happen for us on the domestic front. But seeing as even if we lose we will go into the UEFA cup we should go for the win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Every game will be on a sunday if we go in UEFA icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's better for me as I work until 5pm on Saturdays.

Going out of Europe would be the best thing that could happen for us on the domestic front. But seeing as even if we lose we will go into the UEFA cup we should go for the win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah agree completely, are biggest downfall in trying to win the league would be having to concentrate on the champions league at all, we just do not have the swuad to fight for more than one trophy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The former Sporting Lisbon player even hinted that he enjoys being cast as the player everyone loves to hate.

"Do I intend to stay for many, many years? Yes, unless the club doesn't want me," said Ronaldo.

"It's true that people criticise me for anything I do. They love that.

"But since the World Cup all I have done is my best. I play my best and try and do the best for my team.

"Am I bothered about what people say? No.

"I try and do what I do best - play football and do my best for the team.

"If I suffer a foul I get up and carry on.

"I don't care whether I'm criticised." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronnie <3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he called the world club championship **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least say the full story. I said anyone who calls it **** will get their post count reduced loads.

Next post he calls it ****.

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

To make this post in some way include United, I'll add that I think Klose was very average tonight for Bremen. Hardly any service admittedly, but I don't think he'd suit us. It's immaterial anyway, because even if he does want to go we're only going to be able a packet of pork scratchings and the even less effective Kieron Richardson in exchange.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

power trip fran

rooney ifs btw, according to lads who never see him play

He doesn't score for england or for us in europe.

Gash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerrard's a better striker than him, just like he's a better right back than Neville icon14.gif

Mika </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers, will pester him. Might have to open with 'Isn't Mikael Silvestre right good, eh? And that Steven Hendry? Million times more naturally talented than O'Sullivan.'

Nah, he'll see right through me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

and if we win the group?

Barcelona probably... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barcelona or Real Madrid but thats just as hard as Lyon or Milan for me except topping the group would have given us teams like PSV, AEK Athens and Porto as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it still could? Celtic winning in Copenhagen is probable but not a given.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I reckon we could take Barca icon_cool.gif

Neville > Ronaldinho </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd just give him the Reyes treatment.

Seriously, Barca without Eto are a whole different outfit. He's not back for a while iirc as well.

And Larsson basically guaranteed to score against his old club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

though we're losing tomorrow and I will cry for hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah ofc, whs.

Cry now and get it over with.

ignoring how it might affect our chances of progression, i'd love us to draw Barca purely because they're pretty much the only remaining 'big' european side i've not seen in the flesh. similarly, ronaldinho probably the only real star around at the moment that i'm yet to see play in person.

if eto'o and messi were still absent i'd fancy our chances as well tbh

I have been nervous about tomorrows game since Sunday icon_frown.gif

We have been playing so well & something has to go horribly wrong at some point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont say that icon_frown.gif

barca are the best team in europe. IF we qualify, i dont want us to be avoiding these teams i want to see how we do against them. better that than going out without a whimper to some budget portuguese team.

in fact, just writing that i feel like sobbing because in the last 3 years we have twice gone out to a budget portuguese team, and could do for a third time tomorrow icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Am I the only one not too fussed?icon_confused.gif

obviously it'll be worse being at the game but :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still bizarrely confident. icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

I will be gutted if we go out but it will help us so much in the league like I said earlier.

Seeing Ronaldinho in the flesh would be awesome too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, he's not really

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm still bizarrely confident. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

usually when a pessimist is confident its a bad sign icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

this very thing scares the hell out of me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

usually when a pessimist is confident its a bad sign icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, like Keyser at Blackburn icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

usually when a pessimist is confident its a bad sign icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, like Keyser at Blackburn icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologised for that icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done a law degree, if you want to know anything Alistair? You won't need to give me any small talk about overrated retired Finnish F1 drivers either. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">06 December 2006

United’s form could question Blues’ bottle come May

THE Reds go marching on. United returned from the Riverside — scene of last season’s most humiliating low — with all three points, and in doing so extended the gap with Chelsea in our favour to its greatest since Mourinho turned up at Stamford Bridge.

Heady times indeed, and with the running start to the season which Fergie demanded of his men having well and truly been made, for once we are in a position to ask what Chelsea are truly made of.

Certainly United’s victory — and the source of the winning goal — may suggest we could yet be in a position to still be questioning Chelsea’s bottle come May. Whilst various doomlords legitimately continue to question the depth of United’s squad, striking back just a minute after Boro’s equaliser was as impressive as it was well timed. And following on from Fletcher storming through to puncture Boro’s bubble there’s even been an outbreak of suggestions that perhaps he’s not quite the waste of space many Stretford Enders have long suspected.

Unsurprisingly, such magnanimity hasn’t yet extended to Mr O’Pie — that other oft-lambasted squad member who made it onto the scoresheet in the last week, but on hard-fought away victories such as Saturday’s are title bids created, and our squad is yet to be found wanting.

Still, calamity is never more than a game away. Whilst European progression is already assured this week, in which competition United will compete come the New Year will of course be decided in another showdown with Benfica. Quite how United have arrived at this point for the second year running is perplexing following the opening three group victories, and is surely a more reliable indicator of the quality of United’s reserves, the revised opinion of The Scottish Player notwithstanding. You sense that the six points we stand in front of Chelsea will count for little should the Portuguese repeat last December’s triumph; quite who will be more unforgiving — the supporters or the Glazers — should United fail to progress to the lucrative latter stages of the European Cup isn’t clear.

What is becoming ever more apparent is the frugality imposed by United’s owners. The arrival on loan of Henrik Larsson has been heralded in many quarters as an astute move, but on closer inspection the details of the 10-week signing seem incredibly bizarre. Available for only 13 games (at the most), it takes the definition of a stop-gap signing to a new extreme, and will undoubtedly cause introspection in the likes of Alan Smith and Ole Solskjaer for whom the signing clearly signals a vote of little confidence.

Indeed, both have been linked to January moves (sources suggest the latter will soon be playing his trade at Ewood Park) which would only serve to further deplete United’s squad come the season’s crunch.

That is of course, presuming this season will have a crunch. With Manchester City turning up at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime, United’s next two matches will probably dictate the course of our season. Victory in both will take United well clear at the top of the league and through to the knockout phase in the European Cup, the worries of a paper-thin squad and horrendous away record in Europe can be postponed for the morrow. Defeat in either would envelop Old Trafford in a heavy gloom, and seriously undermine the impressive season to date. (Of course, failure in both is too hideous a prospect to even contemplate.) However, negative thoughts have little place at Old Trafford of late, and few would expect Benfica or City to prove much obstacle given our form. Hopefully that’ll prove the case, and then maybe thoughts can turn to sorting out that ludicrous goal celebration certain players have taken to recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard Kurt in today's Examiner. Say it ain't so? icon_frown.gif

So, would you swap another treble this season for getting rid of the Glazers?

Two points to add.

1) Please ignore the ridiculous odds against us actually winning 1 let alone 3 trophies (assume it’s a done deal)

2) I’ll let you decide, as part of the answer, what the Glazers would be replaced with to accept the trade.

Archived