The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

So the ticketing part of the official website has been down for me since yesterday morning after I emailed them to tell them about their card payment form problem. So still not been able to apply for Villa (league or cup game). icon_frown.gif

No money out of my account, no email saying I've been unsuccessful and no ticket on my doorstep means I've finally resigned myself to not being at the Citeh game. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

But I have got an evening shift at work on Saturday so I will be able to watch the game live on the telly. icon14.gif

However I've got a long shift at work in an hour or so and miss the Benfica game because of it. icon13.gif

Although thanks to the magic of sky+ I only have to avoid the scores til I get home to watch it in full. icon14.gif

Anyway, after that pointless update I'm heading off enjoy the game those who are going and COME ON YOU REDS!!!! icon_mad.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

No. More trophies = more money = less debt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

making a big assumption there fella.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

So, would you swap another treble this season for getting rid of the Glazers?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If by getting rid of the Glazers you also mean getting rid of the big "-£650m" in the bank account, then yeah, screw the Treble.

Deary me, I was off but I just thought I'd provide a mini-website update.

On a whim I thought...

"Lets just try it one more time."

So I access the official site and go to the members ticketing section...

"Goodness..." said I, "...its live again! They must have fixed it, now I can apply for Villa at home."

Dutiful fan that I am, I get my debit card and go through the process of checking that my details are correct and that I've got the ticket options I want until...*dramatic music*

"Oh for ****s sake..." I cursed "...they've only put it back online with the exact same problem! What a bunch of dumbass muppets! Arrrrrrrrggg!" *turns into THE HULK* icon_mad.gif

...and so when I calmed down I came here to recount this gripping tale.

you should ring them up and say 'don't make me ang li, you wouldn't like me when i'm ang li'.

and then direct their arses back to the stone ages.

provided we could get rid of the debt too, i'd take buggering glazer off over a treble.

That article above has a bit on the Fletch and him not getting so much stick this season.

Now i'm not going to speak for everyone but i will give my views on why my Fletcher dislike has gone down.

While the kid has bulked up a bit and that has helped his game the main reason i have got off his back is the fact he isnt a first choice player anymore.

I never had a problem with him being a squad player and i am quite happy to have him in the squad but i never thought he was good enough to play the amount of games he was and the fact he used to keep Ronaldo or Giggs out used to rive me nuts.

But i think now he has the right role in the squad and people are willing to overlook his ability or lack there of and you can appreciate a player coming in when needed and giving his all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done a law degree, if you want to know anything Alistair? You won't need to give me any small talk about overrated retired Finnish F1 drivers either. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much appreciated, erm... snipers (I wish that was your real name, that'd be fb), but alas, too late. I got advice off Mika last night after placating him with Silvestre praise. It felt very wrong icon_frown.gif

Does this mean you're a solicitor / barrister? Or did you jack the whole thing in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Does this mean you're a solicitor / barrister? Or did you jack the whole thing in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a paralegal, a fair bit away from being a solicitor for now. Have come pretty close to jacking it in, mind.

The weird goal celebration explained

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER United stars pretend to fire ROCKET LAUNCHERS in their wacky new goal celebration — inspired by a computer game they play against rival Chelsea aces.

The players shoulder their “weapons†as if in a Sony PlayStation scene.

They drop to one knee and raise open hands in line with their shoulders — just like characters in the game SOCOM US Navy Seals.

Stars of both teams compete regularly against each other by playing the game online.

A club source said last night: “They are deadly rivals at everything and computer games are no different.

“It’s combat on and off the pitch.â€

The on-pitch ritual — which has baffled fans up and down the country — was first seen at Old Trafford last week, when United beat Everton 3-0.

John O’Shea scored the third goal, ran over to fans, dropped to one knee and raised his hands to the rocket-firing position.

Last Saturday Rio Ferdinand ran over to United supporters at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium and repeated the routine with Darren Fletcher, scorer of the winner in their 2-1 victory.

Chelsea’s John Terry and Frank Lampard were among the first to take up the computer game challenge with Rio and Wayne Rooney at an England international get-together.

In the online version of the game players take over the role of a US Navy Seal — one of the most elite positions in the US military.

The aim is to lead a team of Seals and prevent the US being attacked.

A Sony spokesman said: “John Terry’s agent has been on the phone begging for the new version of the game due out early next year.

“We sorted some of the Chelsea lads out with an earlier model — and also some of the England players.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fffffffffffffffb icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

you should ring them up and say 'don't make me ang li, you wouldn't like me when i'm ang li'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's just awful. icon_biggrin.gif

no glazers = no debt = something similar to the way barca are run >>>>>> treble.

we're living in fantasy land.

Right lads, YOU have control of tonights game, how would you like it to go?

Choice 1, It's a tense as feck 0-0 with Benfica getting a penalty that is saved ofc, with a last minute winner for us.

Choice 2, It's a 3-0 win with all 3 goals in the first half hour?

Nothing at all happening in the 1st 30 minutes...not sure if I'll be home in time for kick-off. Then 3 quick fire goals before half-time to kill the tie off.

Followed by 45 minutes of mind numbing boredom as a Brown / O'Shea midfield do nothing in particular. Ronnie and a couple of others get a good 35 minutes off prior to the derby.

• Administrators

Something to take your mind off tonight's game, since I know you're feart to talk about it and stuff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I did a terrible thing at the weekend. I bought the Mail on Sunday with my own money. I've been washing my hands every five minutes since, but nothing will make the shame go away. It's something I'll just have to live with... somehow.

But they made me do it. The headline writers, I mean. They did it with a back page splash that read: 100M - ROONEY'S AMAZING NEW DEAL. And they're right - it is amazing for a 21 year old.

On top of £115k a week he'll apparently get £10k a week more for image rights, which is especially good going for someone just questioned about a nightclub brawl with a file being prepared for the CPS. Combine that with his endorsements through Nike, Asda, Coca-Cola and EA Sports being worth a reported £6m a year and a £5m 5-book deal with Harper Collins and I make that £80m. Add two years already at £55k a week and his original £27m transfer fee and it actually comes to £112.7m using my rusty calculator. That's one heck of an investment in a single player, however young.

But something niggles about it.

You see, I recall just a few short months ago reports that Michael Ballack wasn't a free signing at all when you considered his signing on fee and wages that totalled £130k a week over three years, meaning he actually cost £20.2m. And Shevchenko too, whose £30.8m transfer fee had to be combined with £115k a week of salary and signing on fee, meaning he would really cost £48.8m.

Together, these two players of indisputable world-renown would cost £69m and this was final proof that Chelsea were buying the League. Yet now it seems that paying £112m for just one player is an amazing deal and sends out a firm message to Roman Abramovich that he can't outbid Man United for everyone.

I'm sure, somewhere along the line, we should be mentioning Rio Ferdinand's £30.1m transfer fee and £130k a week salary over 4 years (total £57.1m) but it only goes to make the point even more.

I was listening to 5Live the other day and some alleged expert was telling us how it was only Roman's money that was preventing Man Utd from competing on a level playing field.

I couldn't help thinking what he really meant was it prevented Man Utd having a free run at anyone they wanted by outbidding them in transfer fee and salary as they consistently used to over the last decade and more – how that translates into a level playing field, I don't know. They just don't like the kind of competition every other club has to contend with.

And Sir Rednose was also at it on Saturday, suggesting if we lose this weekend's game we might buy another 6 players in the next transfer window. How easy it is for him to forget that we won the league in each of the last two seasons with a smaller squad than any other team in the whole Premier League, while we enter this season with less still.

We won't buy another six players in January. Last season we only picked up Maniche on a free transfer in that window, while it was them who paid out. And in the season before we picked up Jarosik but released Babayaro, while they were the ones paying out again. And while the season before that we did pick up Parker for a significant fee (for what good it did us) it was Man Utd who were paying even more for Louis Saha as they mopped up forwards they didn't need.

Now I know forgetfulness is a symptom of senility but I didn't realise that hypocrisy was another. But that trait doesn't only apply to him - it applies to all those Sunday journos who laud the re-signing of Tabloid Wayne for the self-same reasons they beat us over the head.

And what do United get for their money? Well, certainly not someone who can count, that's for sure. Reports come through that Wayne reckons Chelsea will suffer from the number of players warming the bench, though searching for an actual quote of him saying that is proving elusive.

A simple glance at the Man Utd roster shows us they have 33 first teamers, while our squad numbers just 23 including 4 keepers.

Poor Wayne. He must be suffering from never having scored against Chelsea in his career and just got himself confused. Maybe he needs to be paid even more because it seems even £112m doesn't buy a goal against Chelsea.

Well done to Man Utd, though. In their current guise of plucky underdogs who just happen to be the biggest club in the world and who won the Premier League 8 years out of 11 without destroying football, even though they're the world's most indebted club, having managed to avoid defeat they saved the game for the nation.

And for Chelsea it's lucky we didn't win. Without having any prior history of winning anything (so they tell us) we failed in our bid to ruin the League's competitiveness further. But also, the club that pays Rio and Rooney £170m failed to beat the one who only pay £69m for Ballack and Shevchenko.

They won't buy the league this year like they always used to, however hard they try.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tear it apart etc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A simple glance at the Man Utd roster shows us they have 33 first teamers, while our squad numbers just 23 including 4 keepers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignoring the hideous word 'roster' for a moment (and that's pretty difficult), who are these 33 players we apparently have tripping over each other in Carrington?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sure, somewhere along the line, we should be mentioning Rio Ferdinand's £30.1m transfer fee and £130k a week salary over 4 years (total £57.1m) but it only goes to make the point even more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rio only got 100k a week iirc

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sure, somewhere along the line, we should be mentioning Rio Ferdinand's £30.1m transfer fee and £130k a week salary over 4 years (total £57.1m) but it only goes to make the point even more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rio only got 100k a week iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he also admits to having deliberately mistaken some figures for a reason, the reason itself isn't clear but it was something to do with causing people to react :/ icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A simple glance at the Man Utd roster shows us they have 33 first teamers, while our squad numbers just 23 including 4 keepers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats this rubbish aswell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

you should ring them up and say 'don't make me ang li, you wouldn't like me when i'm ang li'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's just awful. icon_biggrin.gif

no glazers = no debt = something similar to the way barca are run >>>>>> treble.

we're living in fantasy land. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a better joke when Stewart Lee tells it though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I assume he's included anyone who's made an appearance this season, thus being anyone who played at Crewe and Southend. I dunno. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Nick's stats, that's only 28 players. Hmmm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

iirc someone here has done / is doing a law degree. Who is said person, and do they have a spare five minutes to give me advice on me potentially doing a law conversion course?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done a law degree, if you want to know anything Alistair? You won't need to give me any small talk about overrated retired Finnish F1 drivers either. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

Me and Ali did have a chat last night btw, I didn't ignore him icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Right lads, YOU have control of tonights game, how would you like it to go?

Choice 1, It's a tense as feck 0-0 with Benfica getting a penalty that is saved ofc, with a last minute winner for us.

Choice 2, It's a 3-0 win with all 3 goals in the first half hour? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly 2.

But then you knew I'd say that.

I think I'm more nervous about this than I was Chelsea :/

not that I was going to either game ofc :ticketofficehate:

btw Jimlad you do realise you can phone up the automated line and get ballot results? I mean it takes effing ages to come up after the applications are sent in and is a bit crap - but it would certainly have told you your Man City ticket/nonticket result for the last week or 2

Archived