The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm nervous, but not overly so, we really shouldn't lose and if we do, then hell we deserve to be out.

Will be keeping an eye on the Celtic score too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact you are somehow relatively optimistic for tonight and I am more pessimistic than I have been in ages means something weird is going to happen tonight.

Either we batter them or we play like we did against Southend.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

Would any of you lot bet on Man Utd to win the CL @ 12/1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

Would any of you lot bet on Man Utd to win the CL @ 12/1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those odds are too short for us even making the quarters icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

If SAF gets even a tiny whiff of Mika optimism he’ll be resting players quicker than you can say ‘O’Shea and Richardson in midfield, Fletcher wide right and Tommy K in at right back for a laugh’ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine the reaction if I text the team news to the wall and it has Richardson in it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now I know forgetfulness is a symptom of senility but I didn't realise that hypocrisy was another. But that trait doesn't only apply to him - it applies to all those Sunday journos who laud the re-signing of Tabloid Wayne for the self-same reasons they beat us over the head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhhhhh, Can't stand the press that tries to knock you down when you're at the top.

1) the chelsea article, as nick says, is typical chelsea. horrible horrible garbage.

2) id probably prefer option 1 in some oddly perverse way, though my sanity, heart and nerves wouldnt say the same. a van der sar penalty save at 0-0 would be icon_cool.gif

3) we have won something like 1 euro away game in about four years. 12/1 is a ridiculous price for us to win the whole thing. you may as well put a bet on a one word jimlad post.

4) COME ON YOU REDS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

van der sar

kuszczak

neville

brown

vidic

ferdinand

silvestre

heinze

evra

o'shea

fletcher

ronaldo

scholes

carrick

richardson

giggs

park

saha

rooney

smith

solskjaer

i make that 21. wp rentboys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh that's just so wrong icon_biggrin.gif

There's also Tim Howard who's a first teamer, Rossi who had a few first team starts this season, Pique had some as well, Bardsley did too, Martin.

Don't you see Nick? We're packing! We are so packing we sound out our first teamers to other clubs so that we can keep the premiership competitive and not go on a 38 games winning streak.

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

The weird goal celebration explained

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER United stars pretend to fire ROCKET LAUNCHERS in their wacky new goal celebration — inspired by a computer game they play against rival Chelsea aces.

The players shoulder their “weapons†as if in a Sony PlayStation scene.

They drop to one knee and raise open hands in line with their shoulders — just like characters in the game SOCOM US Navy Seals.

Stars of both teams compete regularly against each other by playing the game online.

A club source said last night: “They are deadly rivals at everything and computer games are no different.

“It’s combat on and off the pitch.â€

The on-pitch ritual — which has baffled fans up and down the country — was first seen at Old Trafford last week, when United beat Everton 3-0.

John O’Shea scored the third goal, ran over to fans, dropped to one knee and raised his hands to the rocket-firing position.

Last Saturday Rio Ferdinand ran over to United supporters at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium and repeated the routine with Darren Fletcher, scorer of the winner in their 2-1 victory.

Chelsea’s John Terry and Frank Lampard were among the first to take up the computer game challenge with Rio and Wayne Rooney at an England international get-together.

In the online version of the game players take over the role of a US Navy Seal — one of the most elite positions in the US military.

The aim is to lead a team of Seals and prevent the US being attacked.

A Sony spokesman said: “John Terry’s agent has been on the phone begging for the new version of the game due out early next year.

“We sorted some of the Chelsea lads out with an earlier model — and also some of the England players.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fffffffffffffffb icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hate to think they're having 'banter' with such arseholes as terry and lampard tbh

Roeder gave an interview yesterday about todays Newcastle match. He was talking about Newcastle and said "Its great to have Seppe Rossi back for selection after he attended a funeral in Milan last week. He will see play some part in the game."

And true to his word he brough Rossi off the bench in the 90th minute.

Holy crap!

Eurgh, don't think I've ever been so angry at United "fans" before, atmosphere utterly dead where me and Keith were, tried getting songs going (joining with the other side of Tier 2), they scored and I jumped up trying to get UNITED UNITED going but nothing so lost it (ask Keith) COME ON YOU ****ING *****, SING FFS, GET BEHIND YOUR ****ING TEAM.

We then equalised and the thick twats "you're not singing anymore" ahhh the irony.

I <3 Vida

so in summary

Fergie - grade A tw*t for starting with some kind of 451 and Rooney on the wing AGAIN. what the effing hell is wrong with you.

Vidic - HERO

Finished top like we should have done but made it as painful as possible getting there. Great icon14.gif

draw Madrid next round, us to qualify, Ruud to score loads kthx

Just to make things interesting I think, gazz icon_biggrin.gif have we let in anything from inside the penalty box so far this season? icon_biggrin.gif

excellent performance even if for most of the first half it looked like copenhagen would come back to bite us. vidic so awesome.

motm: vidic

runnerup: giggs

thoroughly enjoying my day so far: buffy - sleep - win over benfica - buffy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

so in summary

Fergie - grade A tw*t for starting with some kind of 451 and Rooney on the wing AGAIN. what the effing hell is wrong with you.

Vidic - HERO

Finished top like we should have done but made it as painful as possible getting there. Great icon14.gif

draw Madrid next round, us to qualify, Ruud to score loads kthx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what makes you so sure a 442 wouldn't have meant a 0-2 in the first 15 mins? So easy to criticise...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ferguson hails ruthless United victory

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted Manchester United were at their 'cut-throat' best when they played their trademark attack-focused game in tonight's crucial Champions League victory over Benfica. The home side at Old Trafford were slow to find their best form in the first half, but were jolted by Nelson's stunning strike which gave the Portuguese side a shock lead and soon raised the level of their performance. Ferguson told Sky Sports 2: 'We've got to this situation and we seem to torture the supporters and the staff, but at the end of the day we can live with that. 'When Benfica scored, that was what lifted us. As the game went on, we got better and better. '(Initially) we played slowly and didn't cope with their system well. Once we lost the goal we did start to play.' United began with Wayne Rooney in a deep role, but pushed him forward in the pursuit of an equaliser, which Nemanja Vidic provided just before half-time. 'We got good penetration, put Wayne back in his normal position, and that made a difference,' said Ferguson. 'We've too many young players to play with patience. When they play the cut-throat way, they're a good team.' United went on to win 3-1 after second-half goals from Ryan Giggs and Louis Saha. Ferguson added: 'I think winning the right way is obviously important to this club. 'But if you said before the game, `Would you have taken a scabby goal off someone's knee-cap', I'd have said, `Absolutely'. 'But at the end of the day we've done it this way and I think it's the right way.' Ferguson insists there will be no easy matches in the second round, despite United finishing top of Group F. Real Madrid and Barcelona are potential opponents, and Ferguson said: 'There's lot of quality there. We appreciate being there, we can look forward to it at the end of February.' With five British teams in the last 16 - United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic and Liverpool - Ferguson is hoping for one of them to go on and win it. 'It's fantastic, absolutely fantastic,' he said. 'One of the British teams can win it, and hopefully it's us.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kept in it's original form in the hope that the writers will someday realise the meaning of the word PARAGRAPHS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

well a 4-4-2 hasn't resulted in us being 0-2 inside fifteen minutes for at least a few weeks so i can understand acou's complaints?

who's to say 0-1-4-2-3-1 wouldn't result in us being 87-1 at halftime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When top of the league and last 16 in Europe still gains criticism then I really don't know what is expected. Maybe a little praise might be a nice balance sometimes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

So yeah, thoughts are pretty obvious to be honest, thank God that they scored early, did us a massive favour.

And a special mention to Carrick, but for his intervention it would have been 0-2 and big trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that's true, why no mention for the fact that he was the most culpable for their goal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

well a 4-4-2 hasn't resulted in us being 0-2 inside fifteen minutes for at least a few weeks so i can understand acou's complaints?

who's to say 0-1-4-2-3-1 wouldn't result in us being 87-1 at halftime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually seriously, please tell me what there is to complain about at this very moment?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So yeah, thoughts are pretty obvious to be honest, thank God that they scored early, did us a massive favour.

And a special mention to Carrick, but for his intervention it would have been 0-2 and big trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that's true, why no mention for the fact that he was the most culpable for their goal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the whole disillusionment with the entire performance early on and the awesomeness of the finish, I hadn't actually considered who was at fault for it icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Actually seriously, please tell me what there is to complain about at this very moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that we were abysmal and approached the game in the completely wrong way?

I'm not the one complaining iirc. Think I pretty much said 'excellent performance' somewhere up there.

Simply pointing out that saying we shouldn't criticise fergie for putting rooney onto the wing because we *might* have found ourselves in a rut if he was playing up front is a bit silly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i agree. if you're moaning tonight then there's something really wrong. (unless moaning about off pitch matters like our fans singing the steven ****ing gerrard song icon_mad.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think we'd have switched to 4-4-2 if they hadn't scored that goal? And if they'd scored it with 10 minutes to go instead of 65, do you think we'd have still gonme through?

I'm not the one complaining iirc. Think I pretty much said 'excellent performance' somewhere up there.

Simply pointing out that saying we shouldn't criticise fergie for putting rooney onto the wing because we *might* have found ourselves in a rut if he was playing up front is a bit silly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, I haven't read everything. It's just I often see unrealistic expectations in here a lot of the time. Can't remember a lot of matches where a team dominates for 90 mins. It's easy to criticise tactics but you would be the first to say why did we play so attacking had we played 442 and not progressed. I can understand his caution.

What was with Benfica getting that extra little section in the south stand, whilst the East tier2 wasn't full. Baffled me that, because that is a decent block of seats (view-wise).

I don't think Ronaldo played too well tonight, seemed like he wanted to do everything against a team he hates which is understandable, brillant play for Giggs' goal though. Held up the goal and crossed perfectly. Vidic is just awesome btw and Fletcher is the only United player who can cross a corner showed it tonight and he hit some decents ones against Boro too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So do you think we'd have switched to 4-4-2 if they hadn't scored that goal? And if they'd scored it with 10 minutes to go instead of 65, do you think we'd have still gonme through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a moot point. Enjoy the night icon_smile.gif

Archived