The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i agree. if you're moaning tonight then there's something really wrong. (unless moaning about off pitch matters like our fans singing the steven ****ing gerrard song icon_mad.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think we'd have switched to 4-4-2 if they hadn't scored that goal? And if they'd scored it with 10 minutes to go instead of 65, do you think we'd have still gonme through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe it was all part of the plan to get a reaction from the players.

but seriously, obviously it was a bad decision but we showed the strength of character to come through it and win the group. im pretty damn happy tbh, cant wait for the draw

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'm not the one complaining iirc. Think I pretty much said 'excellent performance' somewhere up there.

Simply pointing out that saying we shouldn't criticise fergie for putting rooney onto the wing because we *might* have found ourselves in a rut if he was playing up front is a bit silly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, I haven't read everything. It's just I often see unrealistic expectations in here a lot of the time. Can't remember a lot of matches where a team dominates for 90 mins. It's easy to criticise tactics but you would be the first to say why did we play so attacking had we played 442 and not progressed. I can understand his caution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We really wouldn't, for the simple reason that we don't do negative stifling tactics well at all, and it's cost us so many times in the past, both this season and in seasons before. We've looked good or great in the majority of games where we've played 4-4-2 this season, and poor the majority of times we've played that strange lopsided 4-5-1. I doubt you'd have seen one critical post about the tactics if we'd gone down playing that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

i agree. if you're moaning tonight then there's something really wrong. (unless moaning about off pitch matters like our fans singing the steven ****ing gerrard song icon_mad.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think we'd have switched to 4-4-2 if they hadn't scored that goal? And if they'd scored it with 10 minutes to go instead of 65, do you think we'd have still gonme through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe it was all part of the plan to get a reaction from the players.

but seriously, obviously it was a bad decision but we showed the strength of character to come through it and win the group. im pretty damn happy tbh, cant wait for the draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that it's gone pear shaped enough times trying to play that way that we should know better by now. And if Fergie doesn't learn the lessons from performances like tonight quickly, it's going to seriously cost us, as it could so easily have done tonight.

We really wouldn't, for the simple reason that we don't do negative stifling tactics well at all, and it's cost us so many times in the past, both this season and in seasons before. We've looked good or great in the majority of games where we've played 4-4-2 this season, and poor the majority of times we've played that strange lopsided 4-5-1. I doubt you'd have seen one critical post about the tactics if we'd gone down playing that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No english teams do it well. I just don't understand citicism when we've progressed. I guess familiarity really does breed contempt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'We got good penetration, put Wayne back in his normal position, and that made a difference,' said Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about starting with him there then? Jeeeez /O\

Abysmal start to the game, this 451 with rooney left and giggs central will get us knocked out of this competition somewhere along the line this year, i'd put money on it. pretty awesome once we finally got going - we're pretty lucky that the benfica goal came so early, because otherwise we'd have stayed 451 and they'd have probably knocked that in after 85 minutes.

vidic is god, ronaldo was awesome, three brilliant headers (very un-United), qualification \O/

in hindsight, qualifying first looks infinitely preferable to finishing second - apart from barca, the next toughest teams are other group winners, and there are some very winnable ties among the runners-up. thanks very much to celtic for absolutely bottling it in copenhagen :*)

MotM: Ronaldo

2nd: Vidic

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

We really wouldn't, for the simple reason that we don't do negative stifling tactics well at all, and it's cost us so many times in the past, both this season and in seasons before. We've looked good or great in the majority of games where we've played 4-4-2 this season, and poor the majority of times we've played that strange lopsided 4-5-1. I doubt you'd have seen one critical post about the tactics if we'd gone down playing that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No english teams do it well. I just don't understand citicism when we've progressed. I guess familiarity really does breed contempt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The ends do not always justify the means I find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree. Football is very much not this black and white art it is made out to be in here. Argentina are not world cup winners despite looking world beaters. United are through, lets see what happens.

Russell Bearsmore turned out to be not very good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The fact that we're through in no way makes the team ir the management immune from criticism, when mistakes are made they have to be pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or players

Carrick had a really weird game tonight.

I counted him misplacing about 8 or 9 passes but every time he won it straight back icon_biggrin.gif

He still goes for the killer ball a little too often but he is getting better with every game.

Vidic got his wish of scoring an important goal for us too \o/ He seemed to be in a mile of space for his header.

I thought Evra was at fault for their goal personally. They had it on the wing & Evra back off & backed off despite two other players behind him who could have stepped in had he been beaten by the player.

I shouted 'OH **** OFF' & put my head in my hands. I just had THAT feeling again.

But in the end we proved we can cross the ball & scored with 2 more headers (Giggs' head is back to it's normal shape after momentarily turning into a 50p in the Boro game).

Didn't bother going out as my throat hurts & I am tired from all the <STRIKE>excitement</STRIKE> pain I was put through.

All I'll say is that before they scored we looked pretty useless. Kinda similar to how we looked against Celtic.

However after they scored everything changed (thank **** they scored early). We came back attacking and stopped them attacking on the basis we were pushing forward so much they could do nothing but defend in numbers. The last 5/10 minutes of the first half was amazing pressure and it told (Vidic icon_cool.gif)

Second half was all good tbh.

MOTM: Giggs

Runner up: Vidic

The fact that we're through in no way makes the team ir the management immune from criticism, when mistakes are made they have to be pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were generally included in "team" icon_biggrin.gif

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I thought Evra was at fault for their goal personally. They had it on the wing & Evra back off & backed off despite two other players behind him who could have stepped in had he been beaten by the player.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh there shouldn't have been two players behind him with Nelson completely free.

But at the same time with that level of protection Evra had to commit himself.

They were generally included in "team" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry not up with internet speak! What is ir?

or players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give him a break.. poor guy thought the change in our performance when we switched from 451 to 442 was just coincidence. Clearly a poor deluded soul.

Sorry not up with internet speak! What is ir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did you think it stood for that meant he wasnt including the players in the "not immune from criticism" point?

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, the old 'you should shut up and be grateful for what you have, it was worse in the old days' line :*)

we're all happy to have qualified, we're all impressed with the performance after we went a goal down but the performance before the goal was dire, we've seen it before with that formation and we should be able to point that out.

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions?

While he wasn't the only one who could have done better, the majority of the fault has to lie with Carrick. While Evra could have been tighter, his first responsibility is to stop a cross, not a pull back.

Carrick basically just kept running back towards his own goal and ended up almost as deep as his centre backs, rather than marking a player. He did exactly what O'Shea kept doing when he played that position. If you're the defensive midfielder and you're not marking anyone, you should be looking to pick up any midfielder at the edge of the box, but he didn't start to move out until their player had picked up the ball, which was far too late.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

What did you think it stood for that meant he wasnt including the players in the "not immune from criticism" point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apologies for my obvious grammatical inadequacies. I skim read not processing the word ir.

charlie nicholas saying we have no players who look for the short passes in midfield :**)

idiot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I completely agree. Football is very much not this black and white art it is made out to be in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So not as black and white as "we got through, so everything's fine". Do you see?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Fergie clearly read OTF earlier and thought he'd try and make my wish come true

wp alex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blatantly signed up after the transfer window closed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Teams we can draw in the next round:Barcelona, Inter Milan, PSV, Roma, Real Madrid, Lille, Porto

If we would have finished second it would have been: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lyon or Milan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For ACou

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh icon_biggrin.gif

While he wasn't the only one who could have done better, the majority of the fault has to lie with Carrick. While Evra could have been tighter, his first responsibility is to stop a cross, not a pull back.

Carrick basically just kept running back towards his own goal and ended up almost as deep as his centre backs, rather than marking a player. He did exactly what O'Shea kept doing when he played that position. If you're the defensive midfielder and you're not marking anyone, you should be looking to pick up any midfielder at the edge of the box, but he didn't start to move out until their player had picked up the ball, which was far too late. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully agree.

I do kind of think though that with three of them on Simao word should have gotten to Evra that he could fully commit himself. If this is Evra's fault or not is unknown, especially seeing as though he probably expected Carrick to be on Nelson.

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at this point i think he's just mumbling

yeah, we never won anything before then

What? icon_biggrin.gif

Archived