The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

yeah but this is the thing, you're entire argument is that we *might* have won by fanciful amounts by sticking to a formation that ALREADY HAD US DOWN A GOAL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My *argument* is that *anything* could have happened *in-spite* of *formations*!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strangely enough, tactics do actually have an effect on the outcome of football matches. Sure, in any single match you can't predict exactly what will happen based on the team's formation, but when you've seen the same bloody thing time and time again, you can make a pretty decent educated guess about the result.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

it's a f**king rubbish opinion icon14.gif

try getting your noggin round this:

WE ARE ALL ENJOYING THE MOMENT, BUT WE ARE ALSO REFUSING TO STICK OUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND IGNORE THE GLARING TACTICAL ERRORS THAT SAW US GO A GOAL BEHIND. IT IS POSSIBLE TO BOTH BE PLEASED WITH THE PERFORMANCE AND POINT OUT ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need for the f**king insults icon14.gif

Tactics don't win games. Players do. Of course there's room to point out improvements. Maybe a little more happiness would go well with what has actually happened.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Btw, am i the only one that DIDN'T saw a dive from Ronaldo? It's quite obvious on the replays that he tripped by himself ffs.

But true he fell very theatrical either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ment that he tripped for real.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

yeah but this is the thing, you're entire argument is that we *might* have won by fanciful amounts by sticking to a formation that ALREADY HAD US DOWN A GOAL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My *argument* is that *anything* could have happened *in-spite* of *formations*!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That completely ignores the fact that while in theory anything can happen, and on occasion the better team loses, in general a team that a) gets their tactics right and b) plays better than the opposition does win.

Maybe a little more happiness would go well with what has actually happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we are happy you idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Btw, am i the only one that DIDN'T saw a dive from Ronaldo? It's quite obvious on the replays that he tripped by himself ffs.

I ment that he tripped for real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the fact that he didn't appeal (just like against boro) means I'm reluctant to call it a dive, but again he's waiting for the foul which causes him to lose balance, which he should cut out of his game tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That completely ignores the fact that while in theory anything can happen, and on occasion the better team loses, in general a team that a) gets their tactics right and b) plays better than the opposition does win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hallelujah!

So who won tonight?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

WE ARE ALL ENJOYING THE MOMENT, BUT WE ARE ALSO REFUSING TO STICK OUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND IGNORE THE GLARING TACTICAL ERRORS THAT SAW US GO A GOAL BEHIND. IT IS POSSIBLE TO BOTH BE PLEASED WITH THE PERFORMANCE AND POINT OUT ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactics don't win games. Players do. Of course there's room to point out improvements. Maybe a little more happiness would go well with what has actually happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

christ almighty. if you have a son, i can only hope for his sake that you never coach his team. if you seriously think tactics play no part, you officially know absolutely nothing, zip, nil, nada about the game of football.

nb: WE ARE ALL ****ING HAPPY YOU MORON

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm gutted we crashed out of Europe tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was a bit gutted when the cska scores popped up icon_frown.gif ****ing russian chokers. didn't make a difference in the end but i didn't know the arsenal - porto scores then.

christ almighty. if you have a son, i can only hope for his sake that you never coach his team. if you seriously think tactics play no part, you officially know absolutely nothing, zip, nil, nada about the game of football.

nb: WE ARE ALL ****ING HAPPY YOU MORON </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well done. At which point did I say tactics play no part?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I ment that he tripped for real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the fact that he didn't appeal (just like against boro) means I'm reluctant to call it a dive, but again he's waiting for the foul which causes him to lose balance, which he should cut out of his game tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't saw that. Against Boro it was obvious he was waiting for a foul but here he just tried to reach the ball and did a little sidestep (guy in front of him) and ended up tripping his right foot into his left and fell over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That completely ignores the fact that while in theory anything can happen, and on occasion the better team loses, in general a team that a) gets their tactics right and b) plays better than the opposition does win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hallelujah!

So who won tonight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're aware we fulfilled mark's criteria for 60 minutes of the game, and the part nick/acou/myself etc. are on about is the first half an hour where we played 4-5-1 and went a goal down?

if fergie decided that tactics didn't win games and we kept at it because we *might* have got back into it then do you really think we'd be sitting here discussing a 3-1 win?

Well done. At which point did I say tactics play no part? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactics don't win games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly certain what part you think tactics play if it isn't to win games.

Tactics don't win games. Players do. Of course there's room to point out improvements. Maybe a little more happiness would go well with what has actually happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus wept. Funnily enough, it's a combination of the players you have and the tactics you employ them in that wins games. And the right tactics and man management can get far more than expected out of a group of players.

As a simple example off the top of my head, go and read up on Leicester City under Martin O'Neil, and then come back and tell me that the set of players he had were top 10 squad in the premier division.

Well done. At which point did I say tactics play no part? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactics don't win games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly certain what part you think tactics play if it isn't to win games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hairwad so painfully out of his depth icon_biggrin.gif

psv, roma, real, barca, inter, porto, lille iirc eric. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

then I guess we want Lille, followed by PSV, Porto, Roma, Inter, Real.

Anyone but Barca tbh, Real would be nice for Ruud but I'd like an easier tie, and I wouldn't want an Italian team after Milan last year.

ignoring hairwad and his quite frankly outstanding display of mongery, couple of things about tonight:

1) a couple in front of me decided to leave with EIGHTEEN minutes left. jesus actually shed several tears

2) unless i was more drunk than i thought and hallucinated it, i swear i saw a bloke outside the away end in a liverpool hat and liverpool scarf, asking a copper how to get back to liverpool :/

3) i saw the original lee martin on my way in to the ground. if i hadn't been in such a rush, i'd have got his autograph. scorer of the goal that won the first trophy in my united supporting lifetime :*)

4) where i was sat, i had four pensioners on my left who may well have actually been dead for all the noise/movement coming from them, and on my right was a bloke with a very fancy camera who spent literally the whole ****ing game taking pictures. i was willing him to drop it, sadly he didn't.

Hallelujah!

So who won tonight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is worse than talking to Keyser. So the point we're trying to make is that by getting our tactics wrong, we were in far more danger of going out than if we'd got them right. And we got our tactics right eventually, but we only changed them as a reaction to going a goal down. Does it not worry you that we made exactly the same tactical errors as we did against Celtic, and that had the goal against us come earlier rather than later as it did in that game, we could and probably would have been out of the competition?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Anyone but Barca tbh, Real would be nice for Ruud but I'd like an easier tie, and I wouldn't want an Italian team after Milan last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are no easy games, and i dont need to remind you that we took just one point and score 0 goals v lille last season.

lets have a titanic battle please, better that than an 'easy' tie that we fail to win

Anyone but Barca tbh, Real would be nice for Ruud but I'd like an easier tie, and I wouldn't want an Italian team after Milan last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are no easy games, and i dont need to remind you that we took just one point and score 0 goals v lille last season.

lets have a titanic battle please, better that than an 'easy' tie that we fail to win

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh jesus, the derby COME ONE.

I'll make the match thread tomorrow, STILL unbeaten </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you're not icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

oh jesus, the derby COME ONE.

I'll make the match thread tomorrow, STILL unbeaten </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you're not icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

lets have a titanic battle please, better that than an 'easy' tie that we fail to win </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know there are no easy games, but you can't tell me you'd rather have Barca than Lille?

Jesus wept. Funnily enough, it's a combination of the players you have and the tactics you employ them in that wins games. And the right tactics and man management can get far more than expected out of a group of players.

As a simple example off the top of my head, go and read up on Leicester City under Martin O'Neil, and then come back and tell me that the set of players he had were top 10 squad in the premier division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Argentina 86? There's one example off the top of my head. Many ex pros have the opinion that players win matches. OF COURSE tactics play a part. Any fool knows that. At which point did I say tactics didn't matter? Please show me that? You've shown me one team in the last 30 years that have proved that teamwork>players.

There's a lot of hate in here icon_smile.gif

Yes I am?, we've not lost when I've made a match thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm I was sure we had... though thinking about it, itd have had to be the Celtic game.

you not start that then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

hmm I was sure we had... though thinking about it, itd have had to be the Celtic game.

you not start that then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southend icon_biggrin.gif

Just like Argentina 86? There's one example off the top of my head. Many ex pros have the opinion that players win matches. OF COURSE tactics play a part. Any fool knows that. At which point did I say tactics didn't matter? Please show me that? You've shown me one team in the last 30 years that have proved that teamwork>players.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh man. just answer me this.

Are you for real?

As a simple example off the top of my head, go and read up on Leicester City under Martin O'Neil, and then come back and tell me that the set of players he had were top 10 squad in the premier division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a lot of hate in here icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greece in '04

South Korea in '02

Norn Iron when they beat England.

are Italy really the best team in the world?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

you not start that then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southend icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahhhh

Archived