The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

i reckon man united are going to win the champions league this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arsenal and Liverpool already used up the English quota of 'fluky progressions through to the CL final' for this decade I'm afraid.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah so flukey.

i reckon you will. last night was like a mini olimpiakos. you're one of the best attacking sides in it, the team is buzzing, all you need now is a good DM to help you get clean sheets away and you've got a good chance.

hargreaves cup tied?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

yeah so flukey.

i reckon you will. last night was like a mini olimpiakos. you're one of the best attacking sides in it, the team is buzzing, all you need now is a good DM to help you get clean sheets away and you've got a good chance.

hargreaves cup tied? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargreaves is cup tied for the CL yes.

And as good as we are attacking wise that lovely manager of ours prefers to use a 4-5-1 rubbish formation a lot of the time especially away from home and that stops us being the attacking threat we should be.

Seriously, yeah it would the sweetest of sweet victories, but the build-up, the games themeselves and the horror scenario of getting knocked-out by them - especially in the semi - is simply too much of a risk, and too much sh*t to go through for me to want it to happen.

Chelsea or Arsenal fine. But not the scousers. I'd rather see them dumped out in the next round ta.

imagine the build up to liverpool - united in the champions league.

the build up to liverpool chelsea was INSANE, but this would be ten times that.

and god knows how much trouble there'd be if they got to the final. there'd probably be 90,000 supporters there (50,000 liverpool obv). if that happened they should just cancel the final, absolute chaos.

Just finished watching the match and I have to say that I am slightly giddy after watching the last hour of football. We basically ran the game from that point on and seeing the football we played just brought back the memories from the 90's.

I feel at the moment that we have a great mix of experience and youth in the squad and Scholes for me has just been superb. I don't think I have ever seen someone as cool as he is on the ball. He just never panics and will 95% of the time, find a team mate. I just <3 him.

Shame that Evra had to go off, I hope that he didn't pick up a serious injury (haven't heard anything about it yet) as he is really forming a great partnership with Giggs down the left.

Bring on City now I say. icon14.gif

MotM: Scholes

Runner Up: Vidic

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Scholes for me has just been superb. I don't think I have ever seen someone as cool as he is on the ball. He just never panics and will 95% of the time, find a team mate. I just <3 him.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On that note, over the last few games he's scared the bejeesus out of me on a number of occasions. Love the guy to bits, but he just finds it IMPOSSIBLE to twat the ball away if we've got it on the edge of our own area. ALWAYS looks for a little pass to a teammate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

When's the earliest teams from the same country can play each other? Semi's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quarters i think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Scholes for me has just been superb. I don't think I have ever seen someone as cool as he is on the ball. He just never panics and will 95% of the time, find a team mate. I just <3 him.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On that note, over the last few games he's scared the bejeesus out of me on a number of occasions. Love the guy to bits, but he just finds it IMPOSSIBLE to twat the ball away if we've got it on the edge of our own area. ALWAYS looks for a little pass to a teammate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am certainly with you there, but I think that is why I do love him so much.

as much as i love vidic i'd much prefer this scenario

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Champions League Final 2007

Manchester United 4 (0) - 3 (2) Liverpool

Rooney (68, 74, 89) Kuijt (17)

G. Neville (90 + 4) Agger (24)

Gerrard (52)

</pre>

that would be nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I know it's a hard concept to get our heads around, but is it possible that Scholes' tackling is actually getting worse?

bit of the late era robson about his tackles now.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really, really is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I know it's a hard concept to get our heads around, but is it possible that Scholes' tackling is actually getting worse?

I wouldnt say getting worse,I'd say consistent icon14.gif

Maybe in correlation with his eye sight?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Yeah, he can pick out a team mate 50 yards away but his eyesight is effecting his tackling

Maybe in correlation with his eye sight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we can write off the first half an hour of last night – pretty much a joke but it should be noted that whatever Fergie say’s about the crowd being quiet and the build-up being too slow in that period, the team didn’t set themselves up in a 433 by themselves or play at a lower tempo because they wanted to. Either he’s decided to send them out like that himself or he’s listened to someone and been persuaded. Either way neither should have happened. Bad idea all round.

As far as Benfica’s performance goes Nelson’s goal was a cracker no-doubt, and I was actually more impressed with Simao’s performance more than I have been in a long time after our second went in. Not a lot else about that side though and if we had lost it would have been worse than last year for me given the lack of quality they displayed. Luckily that isn’t something we have to contemplate.

On our side of the fence, three cracking deliveries coupled by three excellent headers got us the goals, but I think with the tempo we raised after their goal we could have found another way through if necessary.

VDS no chance for the goal, I’m inclined to blame whomever wasn’t tracking Nelson from the back (Giggsy?), GNev excellent captains performance, desire, forced a higher tempo and always a willing outlet so MOM for me. Viddy had a couple of slippy moments defensively I thought but the goal and the fact that he and Rio were 95% solid makes it less of an issue. Evra was doing ace before he had to go off, great outlet, hope his injury isn’t serious. Gabby did okay when he came on but wasn’t really tested.

Ronaldo had a quiet game I thought apart from the assist but I appreciated the fact that he didn’t try to beat Benfica by himself and contributed well on the counter a couple of times. Carrick had a bit of sloppy night really outside one or two very good passes. Scholesy stepped up when we went 442 and directed traffic as he has done all season so far. Giggsy flitted in and out, ace when he decided to be on the ball and took his header well, very quiet when he wasn’t forced to be involved. Fletch didn’t have a lot to do when he came on but what a ball for Saha eh?

Apart from the goal Saha wasn’t given many opportunities to test the keeper and he seemed kind of absent from a lot of the build up play again for me. Its like he’s only really in there at the minute to be set-up ala Ruud, rather than being directly involved as he was credited for earlier in the season. Rooney, along with GNev were the key driving forces behind us penning Benfica in last night so he gets second place in the MOM stakes for me. A really wilful performance from the man and it was nice to see the team showing that drive collectively after those two sparked the fuse. Ole came on to late to get involved, so that rounds everything up.

MOM: Gary Neville

2ND: Wayne Rooney

Excellent Jimlad postage, although your run of quite bizarre MotM's continues icon_biggrin.gif

As for who should be at fault for goal... Saha perhaps? You see on the replay he's running with Nelson, but then keeps on running when Nelson hangs back in 3.5 square miles of space.

Excellent Jimlad postage, although your run of quite bizarre MotM's continues icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to dance to my own tune.

As for the affg, I was pretty sure that while a bunch of the players including Carrick got dragged too deeply into our box, it was Giggs who was sautering back rather than closing down Nelson.

Anyway, someone post a clip or something and we can look at it again. I would go back and look more at what others have said but I can't be bothered to drag through that hair-guy's bollockfest about tactics not being important.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

ive never been there before

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went there for a certain game in '99. icon_biggrin.gif My dad uses it to black-mail me for everything though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How old were you then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

7 and btw Coldberg I did actually go, I can understand it if you don't believe me though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

7 and btw Coldberg I did actually go, I can understand it if you don't believe me though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you the little kid covered in facepaint that appears on the TV cutaway, just before the second goal then?

Well where to start? absolutley bobbins tactics selection with the 4-5-1, I mean when is Ferguson going to learn that we just don't have the players to play that system. Awesome header from Vida, so quickly becoming my player of the season. Ronaldo was hit and miss all night for me, somethings he did really well and some things were just rubbish, although thought he did well for the Gigg's goal and his cross was superb. Good header from Louis seeing as the defender was all over him and was pulling his shirt. Atmosphere wasn't too bad in East stand, apaprt from one idiot who kept singine "Rooney, Rooney" whenever a united player touched the ball and some stupid **** who was blowing a bleeding whistle all through the match.

Must say one of the funniest things last night was Mart's text after we had scored:

"Awful ***** should **** off and watch Chelsea. Dire crowd" icon_biggrin.gif

As for which aways I would go to:

Barcelona - Would love to get them to make up for missing the final in 99

Inter Milan - Been to Milan before but would love to go again

PSV - Wouldn't mind getting these, with them being the worst team still in the competition in my opinion.

Roma - not really

Real Madrid - same as Barcelona really would love to get these, can see both games being amazing.

Lille - Wouldn't mind going as I missed the last time you lot went.

Porto - Another Portugese team, but hell I would go, although they did look good in the group stages.

MoM: Vida

2nd: Rio

Honorable mentions go to Wayne who worked hard even if not much came off, Ronaldo for his build up play to Gigg's goal and Saha who again worked hard but was manhandled by the Benfica defence.

Some people icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vidic Should Know Better

Perhaps Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand would like to explain their "hilarious" rocket-launcher celebration to people living in Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine etc etc who live in constant fear of attack from rocket-propelled grenades or missiles or those who have lost love ones from such weapons in conflict and war? Or to members of the armed forces serving in some of these countries who are subject to attack and ambush from insurgents armed with "real" rocket launchers? The fact that Vidic was born in a country which had more than its fair share of the horrors of war in the not too distant past makes it all the more inappropriate. Idiots.

David Horgan

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin sends the same mass text to everyone. Trying so hard to be popular icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and he posts it here a lot of the time too icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vidic Should Know Better

Perhaps Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand would like to explain their "hilarious" rocket-launcher celebration to people living in Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine etc etc who live in constant fear of attack from rocket-propelled grenades or missiles or those who have lost love ones from such weapons in conflict and war? Or to members of the armed forces serving in some of these countries who are subject to attack and ambush from insurgents armed with "real" rocket launchers? The fact that Vidic was born in a country which had more than its fair share of the horrors of war in the not too distant past makes it all the more inappropriate. Idiots.

David Horgan

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is from the Guardian.

I quite agree with that guy about the Vidic celebration. The only one i've seen that was worse in recent times was that disgusting Alan Shearer one, where raising his arm was clearly an attempt to mock the thousands of people who've lost limbs in conflicts throughout the world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

David Horgan

And all the players who do the "newborn baby" celebration should be ashamed.

Just think of all the people who can't have children and their feelings icon_frown.gif

Although the people doing THAT celebration should just be shot anyway tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I quite agree with that guy about the Vidic celebration. The only one i've seen that was worse in recent times was that disgusting Alan Shearer one, where raising his arm was clearly an attempt to mock the thousands of people who've lost limbs in conflicts throughout the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blatant fascist sympathising by Big Al there. I bet him and Buffon like to share Mussolini stories over a glass of sherry. Idiots. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

David Horgan

ffs. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is from the Guardian. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wrong! worse icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

David Horgan

ffs. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is from the Guardian. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wrong! worse icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, judging by its tone and content I'm gonna guess ABU365?

Would be good viewing watching David Horgan saying that to Rio's and Vidic's faces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've peeled harder satsumas than Rio. he's a flid.

snipers aye, but it wasn't a editorial comment

snipers aye, but it wasn't a editorial comment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Letters page, natch.

Such a shower of clueless, pseudo-intellectual wannabe journalists.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Is someone still recording our MoM votes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup

Archived