The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Park/Vidic/Evra not counting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBB was posting the transfers from this summer so no.

And Correct me if i am wrong but although Glazer came before Park and VDS hadnt we already wrapped up those two transfers before he bought us?

Doesnt really matter like because Pip and Kleberson being sold accounted for money spent on them anyway.

Then Vidic and Evra came in for £12.5m and we have the other £6m from Obi Mikel plus the £3.75m we have profit from this summer that makes £9.75m and i dont think we will have paid £14m up front for Carrick so pretty much we are in profit.

I'm sure the money spent on Foster can be accounted for with other lesser known players leaving the club or even taking the Jones money when he goes to Derby,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and i dont think we will have paid £14m up front for Carrick so pretty much we are in profit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's irrelevant. We won't have paid £12.5m up front for Evra and Vidic either, or received all the Ruud money. Probably the same with Mikel. In terms of working out profit and loss, it's all accounted for one way or the other, so you can't start leaving bits out like that.

reading the last five or six pages in one sitting is quite painful. icon_frown.gif

can't understand hairmongs obstinate refusal to accept the obvious, especially given fergie came out post match and gave as close an admission to making a tactical error as he has done in his 20 years here.

mon porto or psv in the next round btw.

MotM: Vida

2nd: Ronnie

and one for the glazerites... (cheer up mart)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adu's two-week stint in England inconclusive

Richard Jolly

Manchester United are no strangers to soccer's most talked-about teenagers. In the 1950s, it was Duncan Edwards and the Busby Babes. In the 1960s, it was George Best. Rewind 15 years and it was Ryan Giggs. Now, for two weeks at the end of November in 2006, it was Freddy Adu.

The D.C. United player began his two-week trial at United's Carrington training ground with the two brightest stars in the club's current firmament in mind. 'To go to one of the world's biggest clubs and get a chance to train is an honor and a privilege. Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are two of my favorite players,' Adu said. It will not have escaped Adu's attention that the Portuguese winger and the English striker both joined United at 18, the age he turns next year.

Rooney and Ronaldo were flagship signings, visible evidence of United's commitment to youth -- indeed, United's willingness to build a side around their youngest players -- whereas the aging teams of Real Madrid and AC Milan, populated by 30-somethings, are no place for a teenager.

Old Trafford has been a place where young talent has thrived. Of the generation that became known as Fergie's Fledglings, Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville remain. Including departed David Beckham, Phil Neville and Nicky Butt, those six players have made almost 3,000 appearances for United, and only Beckham did not come from the Manchester area.

Rooney and Ronaldo, from Merseyside and Madeira respectively, are indicative of a wider search for talent now. Adu aims to be part of United's next generation. 'Hopefully, this leads to an offer in January or in the summer transfer window next year. That would be awesome.'

However, his hopes have not been realized yet: United are not pursuing their interest in Adu at the moment, though they have not ruled out doing so next summer.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: 'Freddy has done all right. He is a good talented young boy, but there is nothing we can do about him. What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United was like so he could see the place and see how comfortable he was with it.

'He is a very confident and talented boy, but nothing can be done just yet.

He will go back to the United States, and we will keep a check on him. Then, when he is 18, we will have to assess what we can do next.'

That is a consequence of FIFA rules and, although Adu turns 18 in June, no deal has been put in place. If Ferguson's comments were encouraging, they were also noncommittal.

It appeared to start far more promisingly. At Carrington, Adu was soon caught on camera enjoying training with Rooney and Ronaldo. However, it was a stage-managed photo opportunity, and the reality was less glamorous: The American spent his early days with the club's Academy players.

In part, this was a consequence of the timing of his trial. Adu arrived in the busiest fortnight of Manchester United's season. After the Premiership game at Sheffield United, the first team flew to Scotland for the Champions League defeat to Celtic, then returned for the top-of-the-table meeting with Chelsea, followed by further league games against Everton and Middlesbrough.

Trialists are unable to play in the Premier League, and Adu's opportunity to impress was restricted by his ineligibility for Manchester United's reserve team.

That, however, is a depleted side, with Ferguson preferring to lend out the club's youngsters. Indeed, 15 players have been borrowed by other clubs this season. They include both its Americans, goalkeeper Tim Howard (Everton) and forward Giuseppe Rossi (Newcastle).

New Jersey-born Rossi's dispiriting loan spell at Newcastle highlights the problems for physically slight players in the competitive world of English soccer. And D.C. United technical coach Dave Kasper believes the emphasis on muscle in the Premier League would not suit Adu. 'Does Freddy want to have to go to Watford on a rainy Wednesday where he'll have 6-foot-4 goons on his back all night? The Dutch league is a very technical league, and he will be better suited for that at his age.'

Alexi Lalas, the L.A. Galaxy GM, also hinted to reporters that Manchester United might not be the best move for Adu. 'He is a wonderful talent, but I worry about his size,' Lalas said. 'He needs to go to the appropriate team. If he goes to the wrong team, he will get swallowed up on and off the pitch.'

Concerns in the U.S. were echoed in England, but for very different reasons.

John Richardson, chief football correspondent of the Sunday Express newspaper, said: 'What would Adu bring to United? Huge publicity but I imagine little else -- and don't rule out Chelsea for the same reason.'

If Manchester United are trying to play a waiting game with Adu, however, it will not be an indefinite delay. Warding off Chelsea has become an increasing issue for them. The Premier League champions' wealth makes it harder for United to sign players, and increases the importance of spotting them early. Many of Ferguson's transfer targets -- from experienced Michael Ballack to untried Mikel John Obi, Arjen Robben and Michael Essien -- have ended up at Stamford Bridge.

And just as Adu began his trial with United, their former chief executive Peter Kenyon stated he intended to make Chelsea, his current employers, the world's biggest club by 2014.

It is no coincidence that United became the world's richest club during Beckham's time on the team. Marquee players are essential to the global brand, and United have two, in Rooney and Ronaldo. The best players, however, are not always the most marketable.

And Richardson added: 'It is more commercially led than football driven because Adu is supposedly well short of the standards expected at Old Trafford although you are not likely to hear that.'

There is a precedent, too, of United trying to target a previously untapped market. Dong Fangzhou, the Chinese forward signed for £3.5 million ($6.5 million at the time), has spent three seasons on loan with Belgian side Royal Antwerp, partly because he does not yet qualify for a British work permit. But there is considerable doubt that he will ever become a first-team player for United.

So, many regard his recruitment as an attempt to make money. That is still more relevant now. The club is more than $500 million in debt, incurred by borrowing in the buyout last year. With the American ownership of United since the takeover by the Glazer family, possessing the player tipped to be the first American soccer superstar would be invaluable.

Richardson does not believe Adu will become that, saying: 'He is unlikely to become a great player.' Nonetheless, he could yet be a lucrative one.

Quite how the Glazers will make enough money out of even as profitable a club as Manchester United to service their huge debts remains to be seen. And club and player have mutual interests in the United States: Nike, which sponsors Adu, manufactures United's shirts.

For skeptics such as Richardson, Adu has more appeal to United's owners and sponsors than to their manager. He added: 'As far as the Glazers are concerned, only Joel, the one true football fan, will know anything about Adu. He would definitely be interested from a publicity point of view -- the same goes for Nike. All this is about expanding their American empire. The same goes for Chelsea, probably even more so.'

So Adu's eventual destination is unknown, but the suspicion remains that it will be influenced by commercial concerns. At Manchester United, where many prefer to focus on a glorious heritage rather than a parlous financial position, it came as the club announced plans to erect statues of three of its greatest players -- Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton -- outside Old Trafford. After an inconclusive trial, it remains to be seen whether they will ever be joined by one commemorating Adu. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Irish:

Alrite lads, livin in Ireland here and want to get tickets and go over to another United match. Been a few times before but have only got the tickets through knowing players relatives and stuff like that.

I wouldn't like to do this again and I'll probably end up having to buy one of those package deals offered by the coach companys over here but was wondering if theres any other ways I could try get a couple of tickets? Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you got a local supporters club you could join? We've got a lad here called byebecks and his club in Northern Ireland seem to throw around tickets like confetti.

Otherwise, maybe you could join us other poor suckers on the OneUnited membership. Provided you could get to Manchester at short notice, tickets for lower-end-of-the-Prem teams should be available from time to time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

No we cant sign him until he is 18.

And i dont get the small thing, yes he is tiny but so are the likes of SWP and it hasnt hindered them. If you are good enough then size doesnt matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, he's a forward not a bloody centre-half. He's really stocky from what I've seen, just short but not particularly lightweight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

So, those tickets released by the TO. What's the betting they're the £50 jobs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly why I won't be pursuing a ticket. If they can't ballot people appropriately then they can **** off with the promise of £50 seats. I can't afford a £20 or so return to Manchester on top of the ticket at that price and since thats the case I'll be watching on the TV tomorrow before going to work at 4pm.

And for my fellow OU members, I decided to see if, even with the ******** set-up they've implemented on the site, they can process ticket orders, and it turns out that it does (I've applied for Villa in the league and in the cup as well). I'm still not convinced however that they won't experience a spate of banking issues when they go to process peoples requests, but the orders go through nonetheless.

If it works I'll hold my hands up and say that I was wrong but it doesn't change the stupidity of setting themselves up like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

heh, arsenal tickets £46 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£23 for me icon_biggrin.gif jesus christ thought the allocation was more than 2900! Still going to apply but its most likely going to be unsuccessful icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

hmmm, might be a slight chance of getting a ticket at that price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone will want to go to Emirates though, because no one will have been before, despite the price. That away section looks a lot bigger than 2900 on television, have we had a deduction? I thought it would be around 4,000.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Chelsea won't be selling Richards next summer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't bother signing him in the first place. Dean Richards has been over the hill for years.

I got that ****ing email about tickets being released for City too.

I may have been tempted if they didnt tell me at this late notice, and if I didnt too have the feeling that they are actually the 50 quid ones.

is the site working yet? i cant ever fecking apply online, so conveniently have to phone book so they get some money in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

is the site working yet? i cant ever fecking apply online, so conveniently have to phone book so they get some money in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

having investigated, the answer to this is no.

GAY

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Chelsea won't be selling Richards next summer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not, they have quite a good track record of ditching players after just a year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

indeed, bastards.

I need some info about wet sham btw, pubs and stuff icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just have a drink inside the ground. The area around the ground is an absolute pit. The stadium is much improved but you should have a good time and a nice win. IIRC United have excellent away support. There is generally not that much trouble but watch out for the mouthy little gob*****s that we have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iron-bullet:

indeed, bastards.

I need some info about wet sham btw, pubs and stuff icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just have a drink inside the ground. The area around the ground is an absolute pit. The stadium is much improved but you should have a good time and a nice win. IIRC United have excellent away support. There is generally not that much trouble but watch out for the mouthy little gob*****s that we have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry. Mart won't do anything about the little gob*****s, just come on here afterwards saying what he would like to have done to them, but implying that he did do it.

Good stuff, here's the story on it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo wins league award

Cristiano Ronaldo received a pre-match boost on Friday afternoon when he was named the Barclays Player of the Month for November.

The Portuguese winger scored in the first and last league games of the month - a stunning free-kick against Portsmouth on 4 November and the opening goal against Everton last week. He also helped the Reds to beat Blackburn and Sheffield United away and hold Chelsea at Old Trafford.

It's the second time in successive months that United have won the award. Last month, Paul Scholes and Sir Alex Ferguson did the double, winning the Barclays Player and Manager of the Month respectively.

Ronaldo will receive his award on the Old Trafford pitch prior to Saturday's match against Manchester City.

ManUtd.com's monthly awards are still open - go to www.manutd.com/polls on your PC to vote for United's best player and goal in November. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couple of nice photos too:

Photo 1

Photo 2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo on Southgate and co.

Friday, December 8, 2006

"I'm already used to it. The more they criticise me the better I play. Those critics do not affect me any longer" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Archived