The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nice touch from AIG to let the kit makers have a kick around on the pitch at half time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hasn't that always happened?

hardly a bench of pub players tbf.

how can you say 'not gonna win the league'? you are currently nine points clear, you are playing really well, and have rooney and ronaldo.

dismissing your chances because you 'might get some injuries' is a little weird. drogba might get injured, or terry, who knows?

either way you are serious contenders, i'd even go as far as to say that you were favourites.

yeah but thing is ben is they have the 2 games in hand, ofc they need to win them, if sheva/drogba was to get injured they could go out and get another striker as easy as buying a bottle of milk, we can't do that.

tbf mate, I'm enjoying the way that we have been playing annd how we've coped with things, boro/blackburn for example, games last season we'd have drawn/lost.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if sheva/drogba was to get injured they could go out and get another striker as easy as buying a bottle of milk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Reminds me of the Mourinho Radio spoof thing. "You want me to buy Rooney, ok look www.amazon.co.uk, search term 'rooney'" icon_biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about it a lot and if there was any player on the team at the moment who I could make indestructible and play every game this season it would easily be scholes. Despite not contributing much in the way of goals/assists so far this season his link up play and range of passing has been typically fb and so crucial to how we want to play at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

yeh and he was meant to high five rooney but missed him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just noticed that bit too icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

thats brilliant. SO excited.

wheeeeeeeeeere's your brother gone \O/

i'm going to be wordy, prepare yourselves:

vds - made a couple of blinding saves, can kind of see where people are coming from when they say he wasn't his usual commanding self, not sure you can entirely blame him for that though.

nev - didn't contribute as much going forward as you'd hope for but tbf he did have vassell to deal with. he did so pretty well on the whole.

gaby - muuuuuuch better. almost back to the gaby of old - some fantastic interceptions, crunching tackles and even a couple of exquisite long range passes to giggsy, hardly a recognised heinze strong point in the past.

vida - had a real battle on his hands with corradi and eventually came out on top. loving the way him and rio cover for each other so naturally now, awesome unit.

rio - actually thought he was slightly better than vida today. so noticable these days that he's so much more prepared to compete physically and get stuck in, never more so than when vassell nearly kicked his head off in the first half.

ronnie - by far our biggest threat. awesome ball for the first goal. faded a bit second half and got frustrated, hardly a surprise considering he had that moron thatcher kicking lumps out of him without penalty. end product ftw

carrick - once again quietly effective, both with and without possession. played one peach of a ball that wazza so nearly connected with.

scholesy - such a pleasure to watch him play football. the diagonal ball deep into the corner for ronaldo seems to be becoming a really useful outlet for us and he plays those passes stupidly well. not his best game this season - looked like a booking waiting to happen at times, and seems strangely reluctant to shoot from distance of late - but still the heartbeat of the side.

giggsy - how typical that on a record-equalling day, after fergie had spent the week saying he was hitting another purple patch of form, and after we were eulogising over him on here, our ryan goes and has a bit of a stinker. continually cut inside, his passing was largely atrocious and drifted inside far too often. almost scored a peach of a goal though.

wazza - bit erratic really. some moments of sublime skill and lots of effort and hard work mixed with some rank average passes, woeful crosses and tame shots. could probably do with a rest, but still liable to win you a game with one moment of brilliance.

king louis - nice anticipation for the goal, but otherwise a real off-day. had real problems holding the ball up all day, tried to get involved in our link-up play with very little success and wasted some promising opportunities. missed an absolute sitter as well. i would love to buy him some composure for christmas.

fergie - o'shea on for saha right up there with the wizard's most mystifying tactical decisions of recent times. completely handed the initiative to citeh at a time when we were cruising. keeps banging on about the players liking to make the staff and fans sweat a bit - not just them is it saffy dearest?

btw, that period of passing in the second half where we must have kept it for nearly five minutes was awesome, and had wayne scored it would have been sublime. olé \O/

motm: ronaldo

2nd: gaby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Giggs really underrated? Everyone I know sees him as the outstanding playerr of the batch United had come through, and that pretty much makes him as highly rated as anyone in europe in the last 10 years, barring your Zidanes really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

going back to this - i think we were all implying that giggsy was underrated by united fans, rather than the world of football in general. i think we all have a tendency to take him for granted at times. he's been in the team since i was 9 ffs, i'm 24 now icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

ahha i'm crying at nev icon_biggrin.gif

Came round at the end doing the old neville fist

Oh and I saw nick walking past after the game but I decided not to shout him because he looked like a thug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

must be the vidic shirt icon_cool.gif

gary was doing the fist-pimping thing down our end, then all of a sudden got all shy when the sky cameraman came up to him :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nice touch from AIG to let the kit makers have a kick around on the pitch at half time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Gary Neville icon_cool.gif

Couldn't be bothered going to wall today only got there with 30 minutes left before the kickoff so just went straight in.

you got there later than half past </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to double check what micky mouse is pointing to in future. I got there at half past by my phone which isn't wrong as far as I a maware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Giggs really underrated? Everyone I know sees him as the outstanding playerr of the batch United had come through, and that pretty much makes him as highly rated as anyone in europe in the last 10 years, barring your Zidanes really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

going back to this - i think we were all implying that giggsy was underrated by united fans, rather than the world of football in general. i think we all have a tendency to take him for granted at times. he's been in the team since i was 9 ffs, i'm 24 now icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meant to reply to Rats this morning, what I meant was basically what Nick said, but in particular United fans on OTF and in this thread.

Anyway, yeah I know little more about the match than the score so will catch FF later.

And what ACou said ofc, 3pts. I don't think that we can win the title anymore than I did in August, but as Mart said, great to see us competing past September.

£30 off ebay, only that much because it's signed though. Can get non-signed ones for £15-ish.

Just reading this on the official site, re: this charity game:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the United team will be made up of current players, thus ruling out returns for the likes of Roy Keane and Eric Cantona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic stuff. So the first team will have to play a meaningless friendly in the middle of a run-in that will hopefully see us in contention. What odds on key players picking up injuries that rule them out for crucial games?

If I so much as hear Gill complain about international friendlies again, I will personally destroy him.

btw chaps, guess which much-loved commentator had this to say today:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Vidic, still doesn't impress for me... weak defensively" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived