The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto fo porto

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Van der Sar agrees new deal

Edwin van der Sar has signed a fresh one-year deal at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed.

The 36-year-old moved to Old Trafford from Fulham 18 months ago and has been a consistent figure ever since taking over the number one jersey.

An obviously delighted Ferguson feels Van der Sar could continue for at least another two years and has wasted little time in extending his current stay.

"Our approach with players in their 30s is to give them one-year contracts that's what we did with Denis Irwin," Ferguson told The Daily Mirror.

"He signed one-year deals before he eventually left when he was 36. There's nothing wrong with that and we've given Edwin another one-year contract.

"Edwin's fit, he's lean, he's hungry and he can play for another two years, easy.

"He's probably got a new lease of life since coming to United.

"He did well at Fulham, having been at Juventus previously. But coming to us has given him an extra spur that a lot of goalkeepers get at that age.

"He's done really well for us and he's good in the dressing room, too.

"He's not a terribly demonstrative person - he's not like Schmeichel for instance. But what he says has got an authority about it because he's been there and that experience and personality help." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

So Fergie has come out and named 5 world class players he managed at United. Those being Schmeichel, Keane, Cantona, Giggs and Rooney.

He also said Cristiano will become world class and maybe there is a case for Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Scholes isn't or hasn't reached a World Class level of performance then Rooney definitely hasn't. He and Ronaldo are only very good shouts to become world class talents. Neither are that right now.

Without doing a disservice to Scholesy he has never quite reached the level of Zidane, who I would suggest as the only truly "World Class" player of his generation, but the ginger prince is right up there with him. Arguably second only in my book.

Agree with you about Ronaldo as well by the way, I think he's further along and producing a more sustained period of good form that has surpassed himself and any similar stretch that Rooney himself has enjoyed.

I think that is rather unusual for Fergie to underrate Scholes like that. I believe that is was highly appreciated that he was sorely missed last season and that there has been enough evidence this season that his coming back has made us so much stronger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Would any of our defenders in the last 20 years have a case for being world class? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no.

None of them has come close to Maldini in his pomp who's probably got the most legitimate claim on that sort of title in the time span you suggest.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

You guys should've signed Bodmer, he's so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top scorer in France fwiw icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Would any of our defenders in the last 20 years have a case for being world class? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of them has come close to Maldini in his pomp who's probably got the most legitimate claim on that sort of title in the time span you suggest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely there's more than one world class defender every 20 years ffs.

If you were to pick a world team then you'd need at least 4 at any one time.

BBB sinks to a record low:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Added: Thursday, 14 December, 2006, 10:15 GMT 10:15 UK

Oh my, the Daily Express won't like this one bit, they might go out of business!

Mart Sheehan, Manchester, United Kingdom

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

rio scores world class goals against scousers. does that count?

what's that daily express thing about? :/

very surprised Fergie overlooked the ginger prince. bit surprising he left Robbo out too, although i suppose there's a case to be made that he didn't manage him in his absolute prime.

Wayne definitely can't be called world class yet, especially if Scholesy isn't. him and Cristiano blatantly have the potential to be but it's too soon. i'd agree that Ronnie's the more talented and has the most potential atm, but i still think Rooney's greater workrate, hunger and footballing intelligence makes him every bit as valuable a player.

and on the defender thing, personally my definition of world class is 'up there with the very best in the world in their position at a certain time, or ideally in a certain generation', and as such i'd include both Irwin and Neville, and arguably big Jaap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

a hobby will be easier for him to get unless he goes sharking at the local RNIB college </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Oh no he didn't!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

None of them has come close to Maldini in his pomp who's probably got the most legitimate claim on that sort of title in the time span you suggest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely there's more than one world class defender every 20 years ffs.

If you were to pick a world team then you'd need at least 4 at any one time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned Maldini because I consider him to be the absolute pinnacle of defensive talent in the last 20 years. Maybe I should revise my assessment of him to be a "True Great" or some other title that sits above "World Class" because I suppose there are more players than I credit with "WC" ability levels. Anyway, before I digress further into troublesome semantics here's some more on what I think:

In response to EC7, others may come close to Maldini (ala Scholes in comparison to Zidane), of course they'd have to on the basis that a "World Class" team needs XI supreme individuals, but I work on a very narrow basis when using that term - as I've noted above.

In relation to what Nick said, out of the players we've had in our defence Gary has the biggest shout of being worthy of such lofty praise in my opinion - 1. because he's very, very good & 2. its remarkably difficult to find legitimately top class full-backs IMO. Perhaps Jaap does have a claim but I'm still not 100% sure he'd deserve to be up that high - undoubted international class but I'm not sure he merits higher, but then I'm not sure if I'm being too harsh. We can technically count Blanc as having been near or of a looser WC level, just not during his time with us.

Rio and Vidic still could be - a central defender doesn't really peak until early 30s so we may be able to legitimately add those two to such ranks in the future but not right now.

Can i ask one favour from my fellow thread mates please? Can we not let this thread descend into a "how do you define a world class player" debate? It's been done a million times, and it's far too subjective a term to ever come to a definitive conclusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Ronaldo's got more out and out flair, but i wouldn't say he's more talented than Rooney, or has more potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's little between them in terms of footballing ability. I'd give Ronaldo the slightest of edges but it's negligible really. I think Ronaldo's got a lot more to learn on the mental side of the game, whereas I think Rooney has had that sorted (temperament aside) since an unusually young age. If (and it's a sizeable if) Ronaldo has it in him to mature mentally, learn to sometimes be a bit less instinctive (whilst retaining his unpredictability) and improve his decision making, I personally think he's got the greater potential as a match-winner. I think Rooney will turn out to be more consistent and infinitely less infuriating along the way.

There was actually this same debate on the ri sanctuary last night, and as someone said on there, when you're arguing over which of your two starlets is the best young player in the world and which is the second best young player in the world, it's not a bad position to be in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Ronaldo's got more out and out flair, but i wouldn't say he's more talented than Rooney, or has more potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't flair based but I do think that, just from watching how he manages the ball (general indicators of quality in relation to technique rather than execution of certain tasks like crossing, shooting etc.) Ronaldo does have marginally more "natural" talent than Rooney. Wayne is arguably more mentally adept as far as the game goes though.

Neither are the finished article (or anywher near) but like I said above Ronaldo is marginally further along in terms of development for me, although I should stress that I don't think that either player has more potential than the other.

Can i ask one favour from my fellow thread mates please? Can we not let this thread descend into a "how do you define a world class player" debate? It's been done a million times, and it's far too subjective a term to ever come to a definitive conclusion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry. Done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There was actually this same debate on the ri sanctuary last night, and as someone said on there, when you're arguing over which of your two starlets is the best young player in the world and which is the second best young player in the world, it's not a bad position to be in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Messi might have something to say about that, just as the first name off the top of my head.

Archived