The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cudicini missed what, 3 games? Obviously unfortunate to have them both out at the same time but once he was back, they had more than able cover for Cech.

their back four has pretty much been fit all the way through, as have all their centre-midfielders (bar makelele right at the start) and strikers. cole's a big blow but how much would he have played anyway?

we've had park out for three months, smith out all season so far basically, ole, giggs and silvestre have missed a month, nev's been in and out. nothing seismic there but i don't see that chelsea have been much worse off yet. we've both basically kept our key players injury-free so far.

God, I was getting a bit worried as Chelsea/Arsenal were getting easy draws that we were going to be left with Real or Barca, but luckily we avoided that.

For all that I wanted Real, as soon as it actually came to the draw, sanity set in and I wanted to avoid them icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, it'll be in Lens. not as big an allocation, presumably icon_frown.gif

no excuses with that draw, we should have more than enough to get through, especially as it should be a case of once bitten twice shy when it comes to possibly underestimating them. bodmer, makoun and keita are all pretty awesome, odemwingie's dangerous but we're more than a match for them all over the park.

Yep, from the Lille site:

Le LOSC souhaite aujourd’hui annoncer à ses supporters, à ses partenaires ainsi qu’à l’ensemble du public du Nord-pas-de-Calais qu’il a choisi de disputer son huitième de finale d’ UEFA Champions League au stade Félix Bollaert de Lens.

It's about a 45,000 capacity isn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mon us winning, we so need a run to help our coefficients and keep us in the top seeds for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Yep, from the Lille site:

Le LOSC souhaite aujourd’hui annoncer à ses supporters, à ses partenaires ainsi qu’à l’ensemble du public du Nord-pas-de-Calais qu’il a choisi de disputer son huitième de finale d’ UEFA Champions League au stade Félix Bollaert de Lens.

It's about a 45,000 capacity isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just under 42,000

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mon us winning, we so need a run to help our coefficients and keep us in the top seeds for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to think ahead icon_biggrin.gif

The way we're going we'll get a Chelsea/Barca/Bremen-esque group of death next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

...but Carrick, O'Shea, Fletcher et al. have looked disinterested to say the least. Someone to sit in front of the back four would do me very nicely and maybe another left back icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh really icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ji-sung Park says he has fully overcome the ankle injury that forced him out for over three months of the season.

The tireless 25-year-old midfielder underwent an operation to mend damaged ankle ligaments in September. But after training for over two weeks now, he believes he is ready to return.

"I am entirely recovered from the injury," he said. "Since last week I've been in training, so I don't think there is going to be any problem.

"The two ligaments in my ankle were broken, so I had surgery to connect them - and then I had to have three months of rehab."

He admits that the time away from football has been tough, but he is relishing coming back into a team flying high at the top of the league.

"As a football player, watching games is not very pleasant," he revealed. "My team is top of the league, so I'm very glad about that. But I still want to play.

"I am very impressed with the team's performances - but I'd like to join in and show my own ability. I'd like to contribute to the team."

The Korean midfielder could be involved at some point on Sunday against West Ham, the first in a run of five games 15 days over the Christmas and New Year period.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently at lunchtime today we're having a Manchester United panto, SSN first with the big news. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh we've had the panto quite a few times already. When Keiran Richardson pulls on the United shirt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

...but Carrick, O'Shea, Fletcher et al. have looked disinterested to say the least. Someone to sit in front of the back four would do me very nicely and maybe another left back icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh really icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha, missed that on first read - carrick and fletch disinterested? icon_biggrin.gif

the panto thing is a united tradition, iirc it's the first year academy scholars that have to put on a panto in the carrington canteen for the first-teamers, usually taking the p*ss out of them. in the past they always had the pictures in the christmas edition of the official magazine, looks a laugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex relishes last 16 ties

Sir Alex Ferguson is eagerly anticipating the Champions League last 16 ties against Lille - but he warned that the French side to expect a different United team from the one that drew and lost against them last season.

The Reds met Lille in the group stages last season, but a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford and a 1-0 defeat at the Stade de France contributed to the team's early exit from the competition.

However, this season Sir Alex believes the French side will be faced with a completely different proposition.

"We had a bad experience last year but this is a different United team," he told ManUtd.com.

"It's an emerging team, which is getting better all the time. We're really looking forward to the tie."

Having been knocked out last season in the group stages, there is a defiant hunger within the club to restore United's position among Europe's elite in the latter stages of the Champions League.

"To get to this stage is fantastic and we have improved so much since last year," added the United boss. "I am sure they will be two great games.

"We know they will be difficult, but that's what the Champions League at this stage is all about." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macallan:

So I live in Belgium. Lille is just a two hours drive. How do I get tickets for the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you a united member?

trouble is to avoid touting and so on, i think people who successfully apply for tickets have to collect them in person in the town/city the game is played in, so it might be a bit tricky.

im not entirely sure, james or gonch would be more clued up on that, i'm yet to lose my euro away virginity :*(

will probably apply for lille, not hopeful though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So while it may seem churlish given our start, i do wonder how much of our position can be put down to luck, in that Fergie has gambled more than he should with the level of the squad, and he's been a bit lucky so far that we've got away with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

has he though? has he really had the funds available to buy the required level of squad depth? maybe it was a conscientious decision to have as strong an xi as possible and ride some luck rather than a weaker eleven but a larger squad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United assistant Carlos Quieroz has emerged as the number one choice to become the USA's coach. (The Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on the Sun getting at least one story correct, and it being this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know everyone hates CQ, but i don't want him to go right now. in the summer? couldn't care less.

but not right now.

agreed on that - don't want another spell where Fergie is left to his own devices and then brings in Walter Smith. only exception would be if there's a ready-made replacement ready to come in, but even then i'm not sure it'd be worth the disruption.

in fairness to Carlos, the football's a darned sight better this season. still not a fan, but it's hard to argue with the results atm (assuming he's still having the same input).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

How come you don't want him to go now.. what is the difference between now and the summer? Btw i'm not overly arsed if CQ stays or goes, but I don't like the way he wants to be defensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we're top of the league and playing the best football for years?

We don't need the instability that would be inevitable with a change of Ass Man mid-season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh we made a change around this time in the 98/99 season, and that worked out rather well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

How come you don't want him to go now.. what is the difference between now and the summer? Btw i'm not overly arsed if CQ stays or goes, but I don't like the way he wants to be defensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's been a valid complaint in the last two seasons but you can't really say the same of this campaign. may be a case to be made that for all that we've blamed carlos for the defensive/negative/plain dull football we played at times, we're now reaping the rewards with the really solid defence we seem to have, and he deserves some praise for that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

that's been a valid complaint in the last two seasons but you can't really say the same of this campaign. may be a case to be made that for all that we've blamed carlos for the defensive/negative/plain dull football we played at times, we're now reaping the rewards with the really solid defence we seem to have, and he deserves some praise for that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree our defence has become a lot stronger, but don't you feel if in a crucial game, if we took the lead, he would want so to sit back and defend. Instead of the usual United way and go on and search for another goal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

We don't need the instability that would be inevitable with a change of Ass Man mid-season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh we made a change around this time in the 98/99 season, and that worked out rather well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good point tbf, though everything just seemed to spookily fall into place that season anyway, the lack of injuries was amazing.

tbh we made a change around this time in the 98/99 season, and that worked out rather well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's an exception to every rule?

Guess it's just a case of not wanting to risk things going wrong.

Just talking about Nick regarding the away leg, given our appalling away record in Europe in the last three years, what kind of score would people be satisified with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

score draw would do me fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

that's been a valid complaint in the last two seasons but you can't really say the same of this campaign. may be a case to be made that for all that we've blamed carlos for the defensive/negative/plain dull football we played at times, we're now reaping the rewards with the really solid defence we seem to have, and he deserves some praise for that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm still not utterly convinced the defensive football was entirely CQ's fault tbh. as well as the rot we played last season and the one before it, CQ has also been assistant when we've played two of our best seasons of attacking football (his first in 02/03 and obv this one).

Archived